THE US, THE UN AND THE IRAQIS THEMSELVES, V. 7.0

Kara

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 08:26 pm
Quote:
broom closet leather and belt bottomboy ballet.

LOL, blatham.

I check in here every few weeks to see if the verbiage has changed.

It is still the good guys vs the baddies and pick your side. No one ever sashays down the center, touching left and right, pondering eternal certainties.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 08:43 pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Foxfyre wrote:
We may be a poodle, but I vehemently object to being characterized as a French poodle.

Yes, of course. But it is France which the US most resembles in their mutual grandiose notions regarding how each is the fount of the purest liberties, to which all other nations ought to aspire.

I agree, Blatham, that we are so very like the arrogant bloody-minded French whilst thinking we are more akin to the crisp cool intelligent Brits from whom we are derived or descended but whose reserve and sense of history and humor seem not to have carried through as national characteristics. Like the French, we take ourselves and our current passions very seriously. It would be better if we took life seriously but not ourselves.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 09:08 pm
georgeob said:
Quote:
Careful there. The 1967 middleweight boxing finals at the Naval Academy were fought between James Webb and Ollie North. Ollie won by a knockout. He'd shaved his broad and oh so manly chest for the bout. Each blow to his body sent a swirl of scented sweat out into the cheering and expectant crowd of ripe-to-bursting young midshipsmen.

Oh, be still my beating heart.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 09:45 pm
Revel,

No one reads posts that long - no matter how well-researched or well-composed they may be.

Blatham,

You have finally stooped to faking the quotes you employ in your parody. A new low --

Ollie was a good guy and he did a great job in 1987 making fools out of the Senate investigating committees lawyers - perhaps you recall them -- the shyster and the kid with the funny hair. They underestimated him and paid the price for it. Who can forget his stunning reply to Senator Leahy - "But Senator I shredded documents every day".

Despite this, those of us who knew him well would say of hin, "He'll never float head down"
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 09:46 pm
Revel,

No one reads posts that long - no matter how well-researched or well-composed they may be.

Blatham,

You have finally stooped to faking the quotes you employ in your parody. A new low --

Ollie was a good guy and he did a great job in 1987 making fools out of the Senate investigating committees lawyers - perhaps you recall them -- the shyster and the kid with the funny hair. They underestimated him and paid the price for it. Who can forget his stunning reply to Senator Leahy - "But Senator I shredded documents every day".

Despite this, those of us who knew him well would say of hin, "He'll never float head down"
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 10:28 pm
Well of course, Iraq permitted AQ sanctuary and didn't attempt to extradite their leadership there. Powell said so himself!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 11:27 pm
RexRed wrote:
Official: Probe of Italian Agent's Death Expected to Clear GIs

As already mentioned a coiple of pages before: cleared in the version of the US - the Italians in the commission don't sign that.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 11:29 pm
Quote:
Report Finds No Evidence Syria Hid Iraqi Arms

By Dana Priest
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, April 26, 2005; Page A01

U.S. investigators hunting for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq have found no evidence that such material was moved to Syria for safekeeping before the war, according to a final report of the investigation released yesterday.

Although Syria helped Iraq evade U.N.-imposed sanctions by shipping military and other products across its borders, the investigators "found no senior policy, program, or intelligence officials who admitted any direct knowledge of such movement of WMD." Because of the insular nature of Saddam Hussein's government, however, the investigators were "unable to rule out unofficial movement of limited WMD-related materials."

The Iraq Survey Group's main findings -- that Hussein's Iraq did not possess chemical and biological weapons and had only aspirations for a nuclear program -- were made public in October in an interim report covering nearly 1,000 pages. Yesterday's final report, published on the Government Printing Office's Web site ( http://www.gpo.gov/ ), incorporated those pages with minor editing and included 92 pages of addenda that tied up loose ends on Syria and other topics.

U.S. officials have held out the possibility that Syria worked in tandem with Hussein's regime to hide weapons before the U.S.-led invasion. The survey group said it followed up on reports that a Syrian security officer had discussed collaboration with Iraq on weapons, but it was unable to complete that investigation. But Iraqi officials whom the group was able to interview "uniformly denied any knowledge of residual WMD that could have been secreted to Syria," the report said.

The report, which refuted many of the administration's principal arguments for going to war in Iraq, marked an official end of a two-year weapons hunt led most recently by former U.N. weapons inspector Charles A. Duelfer. The team found that the 1991 Persian Gulf War and subsequent U.N. sanctions had destroyed Iraq's illicit weapons capabilities and that, for the most part, Hussein had not tried to rebuild them. Iraq's ability to produce nuclear arms, which the administration asserted was a grave and gathering threat that required an immediate military response, had "progressively decayed" since 1991. Investigators found no evidence of "concerted efforts to restart the program."

Administration officials have emphasized that, while the survey group uncovered no banned arms, it concluded that Hussein had not given up the goal of someday acquiring them.

Hussein "retained the intent and capability and he intended to resume full-scale WMD efforts once the U.N. sanctions were lifted," Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said yesterday. "Duelfer provides plenty of rationale for why this country went to war in Iraq."

In one of the addenda released yesterday, investigators addressed the risk that Iraqi scientists will share their knowledge or material with other countries, particularly Syria and Iran, given previous contacts, financial inducements and professional opportunities. The report concluded that the risk exists but said "there is only very limited reporting suggesting that this is actually taking place and no reports that indicate scientists were recruited to work in a WMD program."

As for the possibility that insurgents in Iraq will draw on the expertise of Iraqi scientists to develop unconventional weapons for use against the United States and its coalition forces, the report describes these efforts so far as being "limited and contained by coalition action." The survey group was aware of only one scientist assisting terrorists or insurgents. He helped them fashion chemical mortar munitions.

The report found that missing equipment, however, "could contribute to insurgent or terrorist production of chemical or biological agents."

In most cases the equipment appeared to have been randomly looted, but in selected cases it appeared "to be taken away carefully," Duelfer said in an interview yesterday. Overall, though, "it's like going to a demolition derby for car parts," said Duelfer. The right equipment "is hard to get."

Four military personnel assigned to the survey group's mission perished in the violence that engulfed Iraq, and five others were seriously wounded, in a mission that cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

No further work is planned, although teams are on hand to be dispatched when credible reports of weapons material are received in Iraq. The report says, however, that continued reports of banned arms in Iraq "are usually scams or misidentification of materials or activities." It predicts that such reports will continue.

Although new information may be forthcoming, Duelfer said in an accompanying letter that he has "confidence in the picture of events and programs covered by this report."

"If there were to be a surprise in the future," he added, "it most likely would be in the biological weapons area" because the size of those facilities can be so small.

Duelfer also recommended that the United States release some of the scientists and technocrats who are still being held captive in Iraq strictly because of their work on Iraq's weapons programs dating back to the Gulf War. "Many have been very cooperative and provided great assistance in understanding the WMD programs" and Iraq's intentions, and have exhausted their knowledge of these subjects, he wrote. "In my view, certain detainees are overdue for release."

Of 300 individuals on a "blacklist" developed by U.S. military and intelligence officials before the war, 105 have been detained. But the list, said the report, was flawed. "Some very despicable individuals who should have been listed were not, while many technocrats and even opponents of the Saddam regime made the list and hence found themselves either in jail or on the run."

The Pentagon's Whitman said that he was unaware of any scientists who had been released recently because of Duelfer's appeal and that the Defense Department routinely reviews detainees' status to see "whether or not they are a threat to the coalition and Iraqi security forces and whether or not they continue to have intelligence value."

Source
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 11:31 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
Revel,

Blatham,

Which is why I deleted it, but I am glad you got a chance to see it all the same.

I don't see how you can admire a guy whose claim to fame was "I don't recall." I mean this was a criminal offense that involved selling arms to our enemies (the very same axis of evil later mentioned by Bush) and you admire him for beating the shysters?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 11:59 pm
Quote:
Exclusive: Labour MP defects to Lib Dems over Iraq

By Colin Brown, Deputy Political Editor
26 April 2005

A prominent Labour politician will announce today that he is defecting to the Liberal Democrats in protest at Tony Blair's "lies" over Iraq.

The defection of Brian Sedgemore, who is standing down after 27 years as a Labour MP, threatens to upset Mr Blair's apparently unstoppable campaign for a historic third term.

Declaring that "enough is enough", Mr Sedgemore also reveals that a small group of unnamed fellow MPs who are standing down are secretly planning to leave the Labour Party in protest at Mr Blair's leadership after the election.

His decision to defect will intensify the escalating row over the legality of the war which was yesterday thrust to the centre of the election campaign.

A defiant Mr Blair insisted he would not apologise for the war when he came under sustained criticism after the leaking of the Attorney General's advice questioning the legality of the conflict. But Mr Sedgemore , who has been a Labour Party member for 37 years, yesterday blamed the Labour Party's policies on Iraq for his decision to join the Liberal Democrats.

Writing in The Independent, Mr Sedgemore says: "I voted against the war on Iraq and it becomes clearer every day that Blair decided to go to war after meeting Bush on his Texas ranch in 2002. After that, he lied to persuade the country to support him.

"The stomach-turning lies on Iraq were followed by the attempt to use the politics of fear to drive through Parliament a deeply authoritarian set of law-and-order measures that reminded me of the Star Chamber. The Star Chamber used torture but at least they allowed a proper trial before throwing someone into prison. That is when I decided enough was enough.

"For some of us it's not just about the war, it's about top-up fees and privatising the health service. We were going to issue a joint statement. That would have been the easiest thing for me to do but I believe I owe it to voters to speak out now," he says.

Labour's spin machine may dismiss Mr Sedgemore as a maverick with a case of sour grapes. But there will be fears in the high command that his call to voters to back the Liberal Democrats could mobilise dissenting voters against the war, and tip the balance against Labour in marginal seats. Alastair Campbell revealed in a weekend memorandum that Labour could be hit hard by voters refusing to turn out.

Welcoming the defection, Charles Kennedy, the Liberal Democrats' leader, said: "It is not surprising that he finds himself at this election in greater sympathy with Liberal Democrat policies rather than those of Tony Blair's Labour Party."

Mr Sedgemore, 68, urges wavering voters to "give Mr Blair a bloody nose". He says: "I'm renouncing Tony Blair, the Devil, New Labour and all their works. I don't do this lightly. I know that some of my friends will be angry, and that I will be rubbished by the New Labour spin machine. Mad Dog Reid will be set on me."

Mr Sedgemore breaks the silence among disillusioned Labour MPs who want Mr Blair to step down as soon as possible. He says that Mr Blair is "loathed" by many Labour candidates fighting to retain their seats. "Among the MPs there are 150 who loathe him and another 50 who have grave doubts about him and another 200 who love him. They are sometimes called the Clones or the Stepford Wives," he adds.

Source
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 12:03 am
Quote:
New controversy over Iraq forces Blair from his chosen battlefields

By Andrew Grice, Political Editor
26 April 2005

Tony Blair was forced on the defensive over Iraq as he angrily refused to apologise for the war and appealed to his critics to stop questioning his integrity.

Labour's plan to ensure the final full week of the election campaign was dominated by the economy and education was scuppered when the Prime Minister faced tough questions over the fresh doubts about the legality of the conflict.

He told a press conference: "I know there's a disagreement over Iraq. That disagreement we will never resolve, but I also know it's right to look to the future now. Let's stop having this argument about whether it's my character or my integrity that's at issue here and understand the decision had to be taken."

As the Tories and Liberal Democrats put the issue of trust in Mr Blair at the centre of the campaign, he accused them of raising the Iraq issue "because they have got nothing serious to say about the issues facing our country for the future". Mr Blair said of his decision to go to war: "I can't say I am sorry about it. I am not sorry about it. I think I did the right thing."

He dodged questions about the revelation that the Attorney General initially had doubts on six fronts about whether military action was legal. Asked why Lord Goldsmith appeared to have changed his mind, Mr Blair said: "It's not a question of changing his mind. The legal advice of the Attorney General was very clear ... The Attorney General came to cabinet. He was there. We had a discussion at cabinet about it." Insisting that there was no conspiracy or plot, he said: "There was a judgement, a judgement that might be right, it might be wrong, but I had to take it. I believe I made the right judgement. I believe the country is better with Saddam in prison."

He reiterated the point he made in an interview with The Independent last week that hewas not looking for an endorsement of his Iraq policy at the election. "Iraq has happened," he said. "We should look to the future. This election campaign is not just about Iraq. It's about the economy, the NHS, schools and law and order ... I don't regret the decision I took. People have to make their own minds up about it."

Mr Blair also warned that those trying to "send him a message" could open the floodgates for Tory MPs in scores of marginal constituencies.

"This election in the end isn't decided on a global set of opinion polls, it's decided in constituencies," he told The Guardian. "And if you look at those constituencies, there are a few hundred of a few thousand votes either way that detemine a lot of them.

"The Conservative campaign isn't based on a get in by the front door strategy, it's based on get in by the back door, with people thinking they're sending a message but ending up with the opposite result to what they want."

Jack Straw, the Foreign Secretary, was also under pressure over Iraq during furious exchanges yesterday with John Humphrys, presenter of BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

When Mr Humphrys accused him of putting up "smokescreens" to avoid answering questions about Lord Goldsmith's advice, the Foreign Secretary snapped: "I have dealt with this. Keep your hair on."

When the Foreign Secretary tried to refer back to UN Security Council resolution 1441, which gave Saddam Hussein a final opportunity to disarm, Mr Humphrys cut him off, saying: "No, that isn't the issue."

Michael Howard, the Tory leader, said Mr Blair had "not told the truth" about Iraq. He said: "I think it was possible to go to war but to tell the truth, and Mr Blair did not tell the truth. And I also think it was extremely foolish to go to war without a plan."

Mr Howard said he thought the Iraq war was "probably" legal. But he told The Boulton Factor on Sky TV: "I would have taken it in full to the Cabinet. I would have had a full cabinet discussion on it. There is nothing more serious than taking our country to war.And if you are going to do that most serious thing, as Prime Minister the one thing, above all, you have to be is straight with the British people."

He said there was "a question of character and trust" over Mr Blair's use of the intelligence on Iraqi weapons: "Mr Blair's character is an issue in this election. There is a real question about whether the British people can trust him as well."
Source
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 02:52 am
Bye-bye Tony, Tony bye-byeeeeeee........

Well-known Bay City Rollers tune.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 07:12 am
revel wrote:
CONCERNING OLIVER NORTH
I don't see how you can admire a guy whose claim to fame was "I don't recall." I mean this was a criminal offense that involved selling arms to our enemies (the very same axis of evil later mentioned by Bush) and you admire him for beating the shyster?

I knew Ollie in those days and liked him. I was serving in an occasionally related role in Naval Aviation & Mid East Planning.

There was no crime. He arranged for the sale - at truly exorbitant prices - of some obsolete Phoenix air-to-air missiles to an Israeli Broker, who, in turn sold them to Iran for use on their (Navy) F-14 fighters which the Shah had bought from us. These were very sophisticated, long range missiles which in principal would give their owner a great advantage in any air-ti-air combat. However they were an early model, already superseded and no longer useful in our inventory. Moreover we bugged them so that they could never have been effectively used against us in combat - we could remotely disable the fuzes and deceive the guidance.

The NSC used the profits from this sale to fund the Contra counter-revolutionaries in their ultimately successful movement to kick the Sandanista thugs out of power in Nicaragua, and thwart a then Soviet financed revolutionary movement in Central America that was suppied and operated through Cuba.

So Ollie (with a lot of help from John Poindexter) duped enemy A into financing our efforts to defeat enemy B. Not bad !

Political opponents claimed that all this violated the "Boland Amendment" to an appropriations bill, which forbade use of appropriated funds for the intelligence community to be used in support of the Contras. Since the NSC, in which Ollie served, was not a part of the intelligence community and since the funds used for the Contras came from this clever ruse, no restricted funds were ever used for this purpose.

What the Democrats couldn't stand was that Reagan had reversed the "malaise" of the Carter years and had in this and other areas turned the feckless temporizing & retreat policies of the Carter years into highly successful counter moves and victory.

They took their revenge by hounding Poindexter and North, bringing charges of lying to Congress, etc. In the Senate hearings Ollie made them look like the mean-spirited fools that they truly were.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 07:21 am
Reagan was and remains my favorite president of all time, but he did not do right by Oliver North. It is one blemish on a man (Reagan) that I hold in the highest esteem for a strong sense of ethics and principle. Ollie's only real crime was changing that date on a receipt for a security fence, not because the fence was illegal but because he knew it looked bad. Even the judge saw that as so inconsequential, however, that it was thrown out.

Ollie's testimony to Congress though was one of the most entertaining sessions I've ever watched. He was terrific.

(Edited to correct stupid spelling mistake.)
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 07:36 am
Tom Friedman thinks "There is much the U.S. Democratic Party could learn from Mr. Blair." No kidding!

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/22/opinion/22friedman.html?hp

Sizzle, Yes, but Beef, Too

By THOMAS L. FRIEDMAN

ew York Times columnists are not allowed to endorse U.S. presidential candidates. Only the editorial page does that. But in checking the columnist rule book, I couldn't find any ban on endorsing a candidate for prime minister of Britain. So I'm officially rooting for Tony Blair.

I've never met Mr. Blair. But reading the British press, it strikes me that he's not much loved by Fleet Street. He's not much loved by the left wing of his own Labor Party either, and he certainly doesn't have any supporters on the Conservative benches. Yet he seems to be heading for re-election to a third term on May 5.

Indeed, I believe that history will rank Mr. Blair as one of the most important British prime ministers ever - both for what he has accomplished at home and for what he has dared to do abroad. There is much the U.S. Democratic Party could learn from Mr. Blair.

First, you don't have to be a conservative to be a conviction politician. For years Mr. Blair was derided by the press as "Tony Blur" - a man of no fixed principles, all sizzle and no beef, who dressed up the Labor Party as "New Labor," like putting lipstick on a pig, but never really made the hard choices or changes. The reality is quite different.

In deciding to throw in Britain's lot with President Bush on the Iraq war, Mr. Blair not only defied the overwhelming antiwar sentiment of his own party, but public opinion in Britain generally. "Blair risked complete self-immolation on a principle," noted Will Marshall, president of the Progressive Policy Institute, a pro-Democratic U.S. think tank.

Remember, in the darkest hours of the Iraq drama, when things were looking disastrous (and there have been many such hours), Mr. Bush could always count on the embrace of his own party and the U.S. conservative media machine and think tanks.

Tony Blair, by contrast, dined alone. He had no real support group to fall back on. I'm not even sure his wife supported him on the Iraq war. (I know the feeling!) Nevertheless, Mr. Blair took a principled position to depose Saddam and keep Britain tightly aligned with America. He did so, among other reasons, because he believed that the advance of freedom and the defeat of fascism - whether Islamo-fascism or Nazi fascism - were quintessential and indispensable "liberal" foreign policy goals.

The other very real thing Mr. Blair has done is to get the Labor Party in Britain to firmly embrace the free market and globalization - sometimes kicking and screaming. He has reconfigured Labor politics around a set of policies designed to get the most out of globalization and privatization for British workers, while cushioning the harshest side effects, rather than trying to hold onto bankrupt Socialist ideas or wallowing in the knee-jerk antiglobalism of the reactionary left.

The strong British economy that Mr. Blair and his deft finance minister, Gordon Brown, have engineered has led to spending on health and education - as well as on transportation and law and order - that has increased "much faster than under the Conservatives," The Financial Times noted on Wednesday. "The result has been numerous new and refurbished schools, dozens of new hospitals, tens of thousands of extra staff and much new equipment."

And these improvements, which still have a way to go, have all been accomplished so far with few tax increases. The vibrant British economy and welfare-to-work programs have, in turn, resulted in the lowest unemployment in Britain in 30 years. This has led to higher tax receipts and helped the government pay down its national debt. This, in turn, has saved money on both interest and welfare benefits - money that has been plowed back into services, The Financial Times explained.

In sum, Tony Blair has redefined British liberalism. He has made liberalism about embracing, managing and cushioning globalization, about embracing and expanding freedom - through muscular diplomacy where possible and force where necessary - and about embracing fiscal discipline.

Along the way, he has deftly eviscerated the Conservatives, leaving them with only their most fringe policies - another reason American Democrats could learn a lot from him. Their own ambivalence toward globalization and the new New Deal our country needs to make more Americans educated and employable in a world without walls, and their own ambivalence toward muscular diplomacy, cost Democrats just enough votes in the American center to allow a mistake-prone Bush team to squeak by in 2004. So if Mr. Blair does win in the U.K., I sure hope that Democrats in the U.S. are taking notes.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 07:40 am
georgeob1 wrote:
revel wrote:
CONCERNING OLIVER NORTH
I don't see how you can admire a guy whose claim to fame was "I don't recall." I mean this was a criminal offense that involved selling arms to our enemies (the very same axis of evil later mentioned by Bush) and you admire him for beating the shyster?

I knew Ollie in those days and liked him. I was serving in an occasionally related role in Naval Aviation & Mid East Planning.

There was no crime. He arranged for the sale - at truly exorbitant prices - of some obsolete Phoenix air-to-air missiles to an Israeli Broker, who, in turn sold them to Iran for use on their (Navy) F-14 fighters which the Shah had bought from us. These were very sophisticated, long range missiles which in principal would give their owner a great advantage in any air-ti-air combat. However they were an early model, already superseded and no longer useful in our inventory. Moreover we bugged them so that they could never have been effectively used against us in combat - we could remotely disable the fuzes and deceive the guidance.

The NSC used the profits from this sale to fund the Contra counter-revolutionaries in their ultimately successful movement to kick the Sandanista thugs out of power in Nicaragua, and thwart a then Soviet financed revolutionary movement in Central America that was suppied and operated through Cuba.

So Ollie (with a lot of help from John Poindexter) duped enemy A into financing our efforts to defeat enemy B. Not bad !

Political opponents claimed that all this violated the "Boland Amendment" to an appropriations bill, which forbade use of appropriated funds for the intelligence community to be used in support of the Contras. Since the NSC, in which Ollie served, was not a part of the intelligence community and since the funds used for the Contras came from this clever ruse, no restricted funds were ever used for this purpose.

What the Democrats couldn't stand was that Reagan had reversed the "malaise" of the Carter years and had in this and other areas turned the feckless temporizing & retreat policies of the Carter years into highly successful counter moves and victory.

They took their revenge by hounding Poindexter and North, bringing charges of lying to Congress, etc. In the Senate hearings Ollie made them look like the mean-spirited fools that they truly were.

No, ollie came off looking like someone trying to get away with something by repeating over and over again, "I don't recall." If everything was above board like you seem to suggest they would have had no need to forget and shred like they did.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 08:09 am
revel wrote:

No, ollie came off looking like someone trying to get away with something by repeating over and over again, "I don't recall." If everything was above board like you seem to suggest they would have had no need to forget and shred like they did.

Perhaps he did to you and other like-minded angry people who just couldn't stand the fact that he achieved a success that was well beyond their ability to conceive or execute, and yet who lacked the credentials which they, in their slavish conformity, consider essential to intelligent right thinking.

Democrats would have you believe the committee was engaged i n a serious and sincere search for the truth. That is a lie. The whole thing was theater - they all knew all of the facts. Ollie stonewalled the committee and made them look like the angry fools they truly were. He beat them at their own game and gave tham as much of the truth in testimony as their questions deserved. It was theater and he won the Oscar.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 08:13 am
My goodness, O'George, doesn't all that bile combined with coffee tear up your stomach lining?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 08:15 am
Oliver North is remembered by me as having his secretary shred armfuls of documents which a government agency was anxious to see.

Some consider him to be a patriot. This seems strange to me. It seems if he was loyal to anything, it was not the lawful agencies of his country.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 08:19 am
Ollie teetered on the edge of he law for sure, and he did it as a patriot and to protect the identities of good people who would have surely died if their identities had become known. And he knew without any doubt that Congress is 100% incapable of keeping a secret.
0 Replies