THE US, THE UN AND THE IRAQIS THEMSELVES, V. 7.0

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 04:37 pm
New Iraqi President Urges Ethnic and Sectarian Conciliation
BY EDWARD WONG

Published: April 6, 2005

BAGHDAD, Iraq, April 6 - After being named president of Iraq today, one of Saddam Hussein's staunchest opponents urged the diverse national assembly that appointed him to move past sectarian and ethnic differences.

Mr. Hussein watched the announcement on a television set outside his jail cell, a senior Iraqi official said.

The new president, Jalal Talabani, 72, was the first Kurd to take the office in the history of modern Iraq, and his appointment brought the minority Kurds out into streets in celebrations across the country.

But even as Mr. Talabani underscored the need for conciliation to the assembly, factional arguments erupted at the meeting, with several Shiite and Kurdish members demanding that the interim government of Prime Minister Ayad Allawi be dissolved as soon as Mr. Talabani is sworn in on Thursday.

Dr. Allawi's rule has infuriated many officials from the main Shiite and Kurdish parties. They accuse Dr. Allawi, a secular Shiite, of having brought back into the government former senior members of the Baath Party who played key roles in oppressing ordinary Iraqis, especially Shiites and Kurds.

The debate today foreshadowed what could be a harsh purging of former Baathists once the new rulers, including the prime minister and cabinet, are installed.

"I think the government should resign after the council takes an oath and assumes its duties," Fouad Massoum, the former head of the interim assembly, said, referring to the presidency council, which consists of Mr. Talabani and his two deputies.

The appointment of the council, done by a pro forma vote in the assembly meeting today, was the first significant move by the members to install a government that will be dominated by Shiites and Kurds, the two big winners of the Jan. 30 elections. The main Shiite bloc won 140 of the 275 assembly seats, and the Kurdistan Alliance got 75.

Together, the two groups had more than the two-thirds assembly vote needed to install the presidency council, but they haggled for two months over a range of issues before finally deciding on Tuesday night to appoint the council.

Bekhtiyar Amin, the human rights minister and a Kurd, said in a telephone interview that Mr. Hussein and 11 of his top aides watched today's proceedings, held in the fortified Green Zone, on a television in their detention center near the Baghdad airport. The idea to provide Mr. Hussein with a television for the occasion was brought to Mr. Amin by Kosrat Rasoul, a top official in the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan, the Kurdish party that Mr. Talabani founded, Mr. Amin said.

"We want them to know that they are not presidents or ministers or anything other than prisoners," Mr. Amin said. "Their time is over."

As many as 100,000 Kurds were killed in the 1980's in the so-called Anfal campaign, in which senior Hussein officials ordered mass killings and the razing of thousands of villages in the north.

In Washington, President Bush praised the assembly for taking the first step in cobbling together a government.

"The Iraqi people have shown their commitment to democracy and we, in turn, are committed to Iraq," the president said in a written statement. "We look forward to working with this new government and we congratulate all Iraqis on this historic day."

Much of the dialogue to form the government has taken place between the Shiites and Kurds, and it is their tenuous alliance that will be tested in the months to come.

The leaders of the two sides are united on some issues, such as their intense distrust of Sunni Arabs, a minority group that ruled the country for decades, and their enmity of the Baath Party.

On that count, they will likely work together to revamp the security forces in the Interior and Defense Ministries, which Dr. Allawi, a former Baathist, filled with his allies. But the tough negotiations to form the government, which caused many Iraqis to lose faith in their elected politicians, indicate that the Shiites and Kurds could face heated clashes going forward, as they struggle to write a permanent constitution by mid-August and hold full-term elections at year's end.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 04:46 pm
ican711nm wrote:
References:

A. 9-11 Commission, 9/20/2004
www.9-11commission.gov/report/index.htm

B. Secretary of State, Colin Powell's speech to UN, "sinister nexus," 2/5/2003:
www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2003/17300.htm

C. "The Encyclopedia Britannica, Iraq"
www.britannica.com

D. "American Soldier," by General Tommy Franks, 7/1/2004
"10" Regan Books, An Imprint of HarperCollins Publishers

E. Charles Duelfer's Report, 30 September 2004
www.cia.gov/cia/reports/iraq_wmd_2004/Comp_Report_Key_Findings.pdf

Ican - not your resources are bad. It's your selective quoting of them.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 04:53 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
McG talks about how much the lives of Iraqis have improved since our invasion, then starts talking about how bad the problem was before our invasion. This guy doesn't understand logic very well. We are the ones that approved the sanctions in Iraq since 1991. What is he trying to tell us? It was wrong then, and it's wrong now. The US have really screwed thing up in Iraq - royally. In case McG fails to know this fact, starving children never do well in school no matter how good the school building is.

Finally you post something I can agree with. But first something more of yours that I disagree with.

The fact the US advocated and voted for the UN sanctions against Iraq does not contradict the fact that the problems were far worse before our invasion than they are now. Those sanctions did not cause the genocide that occurred in Iraq 1991 through 2003. That genocide was caused by Saddam's Baathist government. Those sanctions did not cause corruption of the UN Oil-for-Food program that lead to the starvation of young children. That corruption was caused by Saddam's Baathist government.

I agree the US has really screwed things up in Iraq -- royally. From 1991 until 2003 we deluded ourselves into thinking that the UN sanctions would work to suppress Saddam's threat to his neighbors while improving the living conditions of Iraqis. We failed to comprehend how creative Saddam would be in worsening the conditions of his people. Rather than letting Saddam continue his terrible work, he should have been removed much sooner and thereby give his Baathist government less time to organize a terror campaign after we removed Saddam.

In 2003 we failed to appreciate the enormity of the Baathist threat that had been created and were too naive to realize we should have arrested the entire Baathist government--and not merely Saddam and a few of his cohorts--rather than allowing them to continue to prey upon the Iraqi people. Those blunders are undeniable.

Now none of us should continue to encourage the Baathist-al-Qaeda terrorists to hope we will eventually give up and flee Iraq. We must be unanimous in supporting our government in its efforts to liquidate the Baathist-al-Qaeda terrorists. Rather than focus, as too many have on our past and continuing blunders, we must focus on how we would recommend that our government reduce and even eliminate future blunders.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 05:48 pm
old europe wrote:

Quotes by their very nature are "selective." Which quotes (or their implicants) that I have selected from the references do you think are contradicted by quotes (or their implicants) that you have selected?

Quote:
1. President Bush announced to the nation, Tuesday night, 9/11/2001, that our war was not only with the terrorists who have declared war on us, it is also with those governments that “harbor” terrorists. President Bush announced to the nation, to Congress and to the rest of the world, Thursday night, 9/20/2001, that our war was not only with the terrorists who have declared war on us, it is also with those governments that “support” terrorists. [Reference A]

2. Al Qaeda terrorist bases are necessary for the successful perpetration by al Qaeda terrorists of al Qaeda terrorism. [Reference A]

3. The US must remove those governments that persist in knowingly providing sanctuary for al Qaeda terrorist bases. [Reference A]

4. On 9/11/2001 there were terrorist training bases in both Afghanistan and Iraq. The terrorist training bases in Afghanistan were established in 1988 after the Russians abandoned their war in Afghanistan. The terrorist training bases in Iraq were re-established in 2001 after the Kurds had defeated them a couple of years earlier. [References A, B, C, D]

5. We invaded Afghanistan in October 2001 without obtaining UN approval and removed Afghanistan's tyrannical government, because that government refused to attempt to remove the terrorist bases from Afghanistan. [Reference A]

6. We invaded Iraq in March 2003 without obtaining UN approval and removed Iraq's tyrannical government, because that government refused to attempt to remove the terrorist bases from Iraq. [References A, B, D, E]

7. We are attempting to secure a democratic government of the Afghanistan people’s own design in Afghanistan primarily because such a government is presumed less likely to permit the re-establishment of terrorist bases there. [Reference A]

8. We are attempting to secure a democratic government of the Iraq people’s own design in Iraq primarily because such a government is presumed less likely to permit the re-establishment of terrorist bases there. [Reference A]

9. I think that only after this enormously difficult work is completed successfully, will the US again possess sufficient means to seriously consider invasions to remove any other tyrannical governments that refuse to attempt to remove terrorist bases from their countries.

References:

B. Secretary of State, Colin Powell’s speech to UN, “sinister nexus,” 2/5/2003:

C. “The Encyclopedia Britannica, Iraq”
www.britannica.com

“10” Regan Books, An Imprint of HarperCollins Publishers

0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 08:44 pm
old europe wrote:

Actually, even your resources are bad. Obsolete. For example, I recommend dropping this one from your list:

ican711nm wrote:
B. Secretary of State, Colin Powell's speech to UN, "sinister nexus," 2/5/2003:

In case you wonder why:

Quote:
Former US secretary of state Colin Powell says he is "furious and angry" about being misinformed and has criticised George W. Bush and Donald Rumsfeld for their clumsy rhetoric in the lead-up to the war.

Powell, once revered as an American hero, will be remembered as Bush's shill for a sham case for war, waxing eloquently: "What we're giving you are facts and conclusions based on solid intelligence" for ever fixed in the minds of the people who watched him that day. The moment that plainly scarred him was when he made a presentation to the UN Security Council in February 2003. He remembered being "furious and angry" that he had been misinformed.

Before appearing at the UN he had spent four days with the Central Intelligence Agency inspecting every photograph and word. "Still, it was wrong."

"Hundreds of millions followed it on television. I will always be the one who presented it. I have to live with that." Powell said he had argued for a diplomatic solution against cabinet colleagues such as Vice President Dick Cheney, who did not believe that diplomacy would work.

He said terms like "Old Europe," the expression coined by Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld to describe countries such as France and Germany which opposed the war, had not helped ease European concerns about Washington's policies. "We were sometimes too loud, too direct, perhaps we made too much noise. That certainly shocked the Europeans sometimes."

He said that the rhetoric of Donald Rumsfeld, the Defence Secretary, "contributed to pitting European public opinion against us". And Mr Bush came in for criticism too, with Mr Powell saying he "presented some positions in a perhaps overstated way".

Mr Powell, who announced his resignation in November after Mr Bush won a second term as President, has said previously that his testimony was "not solid".

The interview with Colin Powell was printed in the Stern magazine, on March 30 2005.

So, when you repost your post (I have no doubt you will), don't give that UN speech as a reference. Even the Department of State has deleted it:

Quote:
Page Not Available

Sorry, you have tried to access a page that is not available.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 09:13 pm
Quote:
"Former US secretary of state Colin Powell says he is "furious and angry" about being misinformed and has criticised George W. Bush and Donald Rumsfeld for their clumsy rhetoric in the lead-up to the war."

This is very encouraging; I didn't think Colin Powell would ever come clean with the back room lies that went on. "Misinformed" and "clumsy rhetoric" clears it up for many of us pretty well.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 09:16 pm
Bush Nominee for U.N. Post Faces Hurdles at Senate Panel
By DOUGLAS JEHL and STEVEN R. WEISMAN

Published: April 7, 2005

WASHINGTON, April 6 - A former chief of the State Department's Bureau of Intelligence and Research is expected to testify in opposition to John R. Bolton's nomination as ambassador to the United Nations when the Senate Foreign Relations Committee holds hearings on Mr. Bolton next week.

With one Republican member, Senator Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island, reserving final judgment, the committee's approval of Mr. Bolton's nomination does not appear to be certain, senior Congressional officials said.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 09:20 pm
From BBC:

Iraq president set to be sworn in

Jalal Talabani's election to president is a victory for Kurds
Iraq's new interim president, the Kurdish leader Jalal Talabani, is due to be sworn in.
It comes a day after he was elected to the largely ceremonial post by parliament, ending weeks of deadlock.

Mr Talabani pledged to work with all ethnic and religious factions to rebuild Iraq after decades of conflict and dictatorship.

He and his two vice-presidents will nominate the prime minister who will lead Iraq until new polls in December.

"We will spare no effort to present Iraq as a model of democracy... We hope to consolidate national unity... regardless of religious and sectarian backgrounds," Mr Talabani, 71, said in his acceptance speech on Wednesday.

He told reporters his presidency would mean "all Iraqis are equal before the law".

"It means that there is no discrimination, that all Arabs, Kurds and other nationalities have the same rights," he said.

His deputies will be former interim President Ghazi Yawer, a Sunni Arab, and outgoing Finance Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi, who is Shia.

One of their first jobs is to nominate a prime minister. They are expected to name Shia politician Ibrahim Jaafari in the coming days.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 09:30 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Quote:
"Former US secretary of state Colin Powell says he is "furious and angry" about being misinformed and has criticised George W. Bush and Donald Rumsfeld for their clumsy rhetoric in the lead-up to the war."

This is very encouraging; I didn't think Colin Powell would ever come clean with the back room lies that went on. "Misinformed" and "clumsy rhetoric" clears it up for many of us pretty well.

I am keeping my fingers crossed in the hopes of Powell talking that it is only the beginning.

Do you believe that he wasn't in on it; or that he is merely trying to find a graceful way to let everything out without making himself look bad for going along with it?
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 09:35 pm
old europe wrote:
old europe wrote:

Please supply those selective quotes of yours that you think contradict the selective quotes of mine.

Actually, even your resources are bad. Obsolete. For example, I recommend dropping this one from your list:

ican711nm wrote:

Why? Nothing in the "sinister nexus" part of Powell's speech has been characterized by Powell, or any of the other references I gave, as invalid.

In case you wonder why:

Quote:
Former US secretary of state Colin Powell says he is "furious and angry" about being misinformed and has criticised George W. Bush and Donald Rumsfeld for their clumsy rhetoric in the lead-up to the war. ...

All that new I'm mad stuff of Powell's is irrelevant to my quote. We've all known for quite a while that the first part of Powell's speech to the UN (the WMD part) was false and that Powell was angry about it. He had every right to be angry, but that too is irrelevant to my quote (Saddam's alleged ready-to-use WMD never was my own primary reason for supporting the invasion of Iraq). The fact of his unhappiness over the WMD part of his speech was stated in Reference D long before your Powell quote in this post of yours. The only thing in the "sinister nexus" part that I use (that is not also supported by at least one other of my five references) is that Powell said that the US twice asked Saddam to extradite the leaders of the al Qaeda based in northern Iraq. Bringing this up in his UN speech constituted a third request (more than a month before our invasion of Iraq, 3/20/2003) to Saddam to extradite the leaders of the al Qaeda based in northern Iraq.

So, when you repost your post (I have no doubt you will), don't give that UN speech as a reference. Even the Department of State has deleted it:
... I heard Powell's speech to the UN myself on 2/5/2003 when he brought up the previous two requests for extradition (the State Department has not yet made me forget what I heard, nor made me erase my copy of that speech). Consequently, I'll keep the Powell reference, and, like you predicted, I'll repeat my quote because no one here has yet provided anything more than hearsay to refute it.

Quote:
1. President Bush announced to the nation, Tuesday night, 9/11/2001, that our war was not only with the terrorists who have declared war on us, it is also with those governments that “harbor” terrorists. President Bush announced to the nation, to Congress and to the rest of the world, Thursday night, 9/20/2001, that our war was not only with the terrorists who have declared war on us, it is also with those governments that “support” terrorists. [Reference A]

2. Al Qaeda terrorist bases are necessary for the successful perpetration by al Qaeda terrorists of al Qaeda terrorism. [Reference A]

3. The US must remove those governments that persist in knowingly providing sanctuary for al Qaeda terrorist bases. [Reference A]

4. On 9/11/2001 there were terrorist training bases in both Afghanistan and Iraq. The terrorist training bases in Afghanistan were established in 1988 after the Russians abandoned their war in Afghanistan. The terrorist training bases in Iraq were re-established in 2001 after the Kurds had defeated them a couple of years earlier. [References A, B, C, D]

5. We invaded Afghanistan in October 2001 without obtaining UN approval and removed Afghanistan's tyrannical government, because that government refused to attempt to remove the terrorist bases from Afghanistan. [Reference A]

6. We invaded Iraq in March 2003 without obtaining UN approval and removed Iraq's tyrannical government, because that government refused to attempt to remove the terrorist bases from Iraq. [References A, B, D, E]

7. We are attempting to secure a democratic government of the Afghanistan people’s own design in Afghanistan primarily because such a government is presumed less likely to permit the re-establishment of terrorist bases there. [Reference A]

8. We are attempting to secure a democratic government of the Iraq people’s own design in Iraq primarily because such a government is presumed less likely to permit the re-establishment of terrorist bases there. [Reference A]

9. I think that only after this enormously difficult work is completed successfully, will the US again possess sufficient means to seriously consider invasions to remove any other tyrannical governments that refuse to attempt to remove terrorist bases from their countries.

References:

this link is replaced by the new link that follows www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2003/17300.htm

this is the new link
http://www.state.gov/secretary/former/powell/remarks/2003/17300.htm

C. “The Encyclopedia Britannica, Iraq”
www.britannica.com

“10” Regan Books, An Imprint of HarperCollins Publishers

0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 09:58 pm
ican711nm wrote:
revel wrote:
... Iraq has not improved since the fall of saddam hussien.
It is still like a war zone which is not good for anybody. The violence is not getting better just less with better planning and more precision style attacks, which is a worry itself.

Do a majority of the Iraqi people agree with you?

The Baathist-al-Qaeda terrorist violence is not yet under control every where in Iraq. But it is under control in some parts of Iraq.

What do you recommend be done to get that violence under control faster everywhere in Iraq?

As long as that violence is not gotten under control everywhere in Iraq, the Iraqi people will not be able to evolve a secure democracy of their own design; they will not be able to evolve a productive society. Young Iraqi children will continue to die of hunger or worse.

I would have no way of knowing what the majority of Iraqi's think. All I know is that there is still a lot of violence after being there for two years now and that has got to be hard to live with on a daily basis.

I have a weakness for old songs that rod Stewart sang. Something about that scratchy Scottish sounding voice; I guess. One of my favs along with a dozen others is waltzing Mathilda . Substitute "everyone speaks English" and think some of the courses are apt some are not so I only cut and pasted two that are.

Quote:
Wasted and wounded, it ain't what the mood did,
I've got what I prayed for now
I'll see you tomorrow, hey Frank, can I borrow a couple of bucks from you
To go waltzing Mathilda, waltzing Mathilda,
You'll go waltzing Mathilda with me

I'm an innocent victim of a blinded alley
And I'm tired of all these soldiers here
No one speaks English, and everything's broken,
and my Stacys are
soaking wet to go waltzing Mathilda, waltzing Mathilda,
You'll go waltzing Mathilda with me

(The whole song can be found at: http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/WALTZING-MATILDA-lyrics-Bon-Jovi-Jon-Bon-Jovi/CB37E9E1FA14003F4825687000305704)

My point is simply that dressing this thing up as though everything is just peaches and cream fools nobody. Was it worth all the death and dying, wasn't it worth waiting just a little longer to see if there was another way and if failing that, at least to have planed it better?

And no I don't have solutions because that is not my job. Are you saying that unless we know a better way we can never criticize those that have done it they're way even if they're way was flubbed up?

That is not how it is practically done in America. The public always criticizes those in charge whether they know a better way or not in the hopes of getting someone else in there who does know a better way instead of sticking with the one who keeps messing things up.

Fortunately we don't have to worry, George's time is short and anybody else can't be worse.

I agree with you that the violence has got to put under control better than it is or else an overall success can't really be realized in Iraq.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 10:48 pm
You mean four years, not fourteen years for the Iraqis I think Ican. But yes, your illustration sure shows a stark comparison. But then we didn't have US as moral support for the project when we did it either. Smile
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 05:06 am
Iraq's Kurdish President to Be Sworn In, PM Named
Thu Apr 7, 2005 6:21 AM EST

By Mariam Karouny

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraq's new president was to be sworn into office on Thursday and was expected to name a prime minister as lawmakers pushed ahead with the stilted process of forming a government nearly 10 weeks after elections.

Former Kurdish guerrilla leader Jalal Talabani, 71, will be formally made president at a ceremony in Baghdad's tightly protected Green Zone, becoming the first non-Arab president of an Arab state in a landmark move for the Kurdish minority.

His vice presidents, Shi'ite politician Adel Abdul Mahdi and Sunni tribal leader Ghazi Yawar, also elected on Wednesday, were to be sworn in too, forming the presidential council, the next step in the process of drawing up a government.

After the inauguration, Talabani was expected to announce that Islamist Shi'ite leader Ibrahim Jaafari, who opposed Saddam Hussein for decades in exile, would be Iraq's first democratically elected prime minister in 50 years.

While Talabani's role is largely ceremonial, the prime minister's post is much more powerful and gives the leaders of Iraq's 60 percent Shi'ite majority the tightest grip on power.

After his nomination, Jaafari will have up to two weeks to name a cabinet, although an announcement is expected sooner.

From his jail cell outside Baghdad, Saddam watched Talabani's election on video on Wednesday and might also end up watching Thursday's ceremonies, officials said. Seeing the election of a Kurd and sworn enemy as president had left Saddam shaken, Human Rights Minister Bakhtiar Amin said.

"He was clearly upset," Amin, a Kurd, told Reuters.

It was the first television Saddam had seen in nearly 16 months in captivity. His 11 top deputies, all of whom face trial along with Saddam later this year, also watched the video.

The naming of a Kurd as president and a Shi'ite as prime minister seals the political transformation that has taken place since Saddam's overthrow. Targeted and oppressed for decades under Saddam, Shi'ites and Kurds now run the country.

WINDS OF CHANGE

At the same time, efforts are being made to ensure the Sunni Arab minority that dominated Iraq under Saddam is not frozen out, an attempt to defray rising sectarian tensions.

While only 17 of the 275 members of parliament are Sunni Arabs -- a reflection of the fact most Sunnis either boycotted or were too afraid to vote on Jan. 30 -- Sunnis are being given several top posts in the government.

Talabani's election led to celebrations across Kurdish regions of northeastern Iraq on Wednesday, with thousands crowding streets, dancing and waving Kurdish flags.

Hailed by a standing ovation in parliament, Talabani pledged to work with all ethnic and religious factions to rebuild the country after decades of conflict and dictatorship.

President Bush, who has told Americans troops will come home as Iraq establishes a new government, said: "The Iraqi people have shown their commitment to democracy and we, in turn, are committed to Iraq."

While the naming of a president does mark progress after more than nine weeks of political impasse, Iraq's lawmakers still have a long way to go.

The cabinet is expected to be named in the coming days, but there is still intense squabbling over one of the top posts, the oil ministry, which is crucial to Iraq's economy and rebuilding. The ministry is coveted by both Shi'ites and Kurds.

Once a government is in place, lawmakers will have to knuckle down to the even tougher task of drawing up a constitution before a deadline of mid-August.

Many Iraqis have complained that politicians have let them down by taking so long to form a government. Several Iraqi officials say the delay has benefited Iraq's insurgents.

On Thursday, a suicide bomber blew up his vehicle near a U.S. convoy in Tal Afar, in the far northwest of Iraq. Hospital officials said 12 civilians were wounded in the blast. Al Qaeda in Iraq claimed responsibility in an Internet statement.

But overall, figures show the insurgency appears to have softened since the election, with attacks against U.S.-led forces down by more than 20 percent. At the same time, more than 250 Iraqi security force members were killed last month. (Additional reporting by Maher al-Thanoon in Mosul)
source
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 06:16 am
Quote:

Gallup: Bush Approval Rating Lowest Ever for 2nd-Term Prez at this Point

By E&P Staff

Published: April 05, 2005 11:45 AM ET updated 7:00 PM

NEW YORK It's not uncommon to hear or read pundits referring to President George W. Bush as a "popular" leader or even a "very popular" one. Even some of his critics in the press refer to him this way. Perhaps they need to check the latest polls.

President Bush's approval rating has plunged to the lowest level of any president since World War II at this point in his second term, the Gallup Organization reported today.

All other presidents who served a second term had approval ratings well above 50% in the March following their election, Gallup reported.

Presidents Truman and Johnson had finished out the terms of their predecessors, and then won election on their own for a second term.

Bush's current rating is 45%. The next lowest was Reagan with 56% in March 1985.

More bad signs for the president: Gallup's survey now finds only 38% expressing satisfaction with the "state of the country" while 59% are "dissatisfied." One in three Americans feel the economy is excellent or good, while the rest find it "only fair" or poor.

Gallup noted that more challenges lie ahead for Bush, including public doubts about his Social Security plan and Iraq policies.

Here are the approval ratings for presidents as recorded by Gallup (all for March):

Truman, 1949: 57%.

Eisenhower, 1957: 65%.

Johnson, 1965: 69%.

Nixon, 1973: 57%.

Reagan, 1985: 56%.

Clinton, 1997: 59% .

Bush, 2005: 45% .
E&P Staff ([email protected])

What can I say except maybye MUWAAAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHA Source
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 11:09 am
revel wrote:
...That is not how it is practically done in America. The public always criticizes those in charge whether they know a better way or not in the hopes of getting someone else in there who does know a better way instead of sticking with the one who keeps messing things up.

I disagree in part. In order for the public to be able to discern the better candidate, it is necessary for them to have at least their own conceptual model of not only what they want the President to do, but also how they want the President to do what they want the President to do.

revel wrote:
Fortunately we don't have to worry, George’s time is short and anybody else can’t be worse.

I disagree totally. Al Gore, John Kerry, Hillary Clinton, and Howard Dean are far worse alternatives than Bush. So we do have to worry that we not let ourselves be fooled by a Ms. or Mr. Platitudes for President: a President who thinks good intentions are far more important than good results.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 11:14 am
Quote:
I disagree totally. Al Gore, John Kerry, Hillary Clinton, and Howard Dean are far worse alternatives than Bush. So we do have to worry that we not let ourselves be fooled by a Ms. or Mr. Platitudes for President: a President who thinks good intentions are far more important than good results.

Yeah, right. Any of those you've listed would be far superior to Bush in the presidency.

Rolling Eyes

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 11:19 am
From BBC.

Shia named as Iraq prime minister

Mr Jaafari heads the Daawa party, part of Iraq's Shia alliance
Iraqi Shia leader Ibrahim Jaafari has been named prime minister of the country's new interim government.
He was appointed shortly after Kurdish leader Jalal Talabani was sworn in as Iraq's new interim president.

Outgoing Prime Minister Iyad Allawi has resigned, but will continue his work until Mr Jaafari names his government.

The transitional government's main task will be to oversee the drafting of a permanent Iraqi constitution and to pave the way for elections in December.

Mr Jaafari, 58, is seen as one of Iraq's most popular political figures.

He has up to a month to name his team, but indicated that he hoped to announce a new government within two weeks.

IBRAHIM JAAFARI
Born Karbala, 1947
Educated at Mosul university as a medical doctor
Lived in Iran and UK since 1980s
Spokesman for the Islamic Daawa party
Preferred candidate of Shia United Iraqi Alliance
Served as vice-president in US-appointed regime

Profile: Ibrahim Jaafari
"Today represents a big step forward for Iraq and a big responsibility for me," he said.

The presidential swearing-in ceremony took place before the parliament in the heavily-fortified Green Zone in central Baghdad.

Mr Talabani's deputies, Adel Abdul-Mahdi, a Shia, and the outgoing President, Ghazi Yawer, a Sunni, have also taken the oath of office.

"We will rebuild the Iraqi government on principles of democracy, human rights... and the Islamic identity of the Iraqi government," Mr Talabani told a special session of parliament.

"[It will] preserve the liberty for all, where all the citizens, whether Shia or Sunni, will be brothers.

Mr Talabani becomes the only non-Arab head of state of a majority Arab country.

New freedoms

The BBC's Caroline Hawley in Baghdad says this is a highly symbolic moment for both the Shia and the Kurds.

After being brutally repressed under Saddam Hussein, they are now taking the reins of power in Iraq.

Ousted Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein watched the session on television in jail, officials said.

PRESIDENCY COUNCIL
Elected by National Assembly
Largely ceremonial role
Helps select prime minister

Profile: Jalal Talabani
Profile: Vice-presidents
Members of the new parliament, dressed in tribal robes, business suits and religious garments, cast their secret ballots for the three-man presidency council in the assembly inside Baghdad's fortified Green Zone.

The votes were then counted publicly.

The appointment of Mr Talabani, leader of the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan, makes room for Kurdistan Democratic Party chief Massoud Barzani - his long-time rival - to head an autonomous government in the Kurdish region in the north of Iraq.

Some critics of the system have labelled the new political structure a "sectarian carve-up" of Iraq.

"The old wounds I think are getting deeper," Sheikh Fawaz al-Jarba, second cousin of new Sunni Vice-President Ghazi Yawer, told the AFP news agency.

"This is a farce. Everything is pre-ordained and pre-arranged before lawmakers convene."
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 12:27 pm
Well, I guess it's done then. Now on to the constitution writing. This is weird being on the sidelines while a government is forming to be witnesses to all the steps along the way. (I am sure there are closed door sessions, but anyway..)

Like the election itself, I am glad it went off pretty good.

I notice that these goings on don't help the president [bush] any, I wonder why?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 01:35 pm
Note: I can't find a link to the original story. So be a little wary until I can, plz.

Quote:
April 05, 2005
US Military Recruiting Children

The US military is so short of recruits that it is using false advertising and misleading fine print contracts to recruit 14-year olds for combat duty.

In an effort to increase its ranks for coming wars, the U.S.
military is recruiting--and paying--children as young as 14 years old
for future combat duty. It's called a "pre-enlistment" program.

Excerpted from "Pointblank", one of Des Moines's alternative newspapers. From a recent column written by Tim Schmitt.

The military is faced with a shortage of manpower not seen in decades, so it claims it is appealing to the patriotism of parents to guarantee a future fighting force. In reality the army is bypasing the parents and tricking, seducing and bribing young boys to sign up for combat as young as 14.

Here is how it works. "Section 9528 of the No Child Left Behind Act (No Child Left Alive??)enables recruiters to gain personal information about students from school records. (The only time parental involvement is required is when it comes time to sign papers.) Recruiters, often pretty young female soldiers, gain access to the high school campuses to buttonhole boys and set up off campus meetings, confirming them by calling them at home. The off campus meeting can involve both male and female recruiters arnd ofter takes place at a coffee shop or pizza place known to the kids.
The army recruiters offer the kids a bonus of $10,000.00, paid in yearly installments plus $350 a month stipend until the boys go into the army in four years. Sometimes the meetings are at places like comics shops where the boys can see how much they can buy with the money. Then they go home and pressure their parents -- or parent -- to sign the permission slip so they can get the cash. Their parents have no idea they are being recruited, much less about to sign an agreement that requires them to enlist when they graduate from high school -- no college deferments, no sports scholarships, no matter what changes happen durng the 4 years of high school.

The army says it is a simple agreement. A young man who is at least 14 years old and has a parent's permission (one parent only that is) can enlist in the U.S. military but will not report until he is legally of age. Combat duty is a requirement, a point not always clear to the boys.

One mother took a close look at the fine print. It revealed that, not only was her son unthinkingly signing up to be in combat, the $350 monthly stipend her son receives is actually an advance on his $250 per month combat pay and $100 per month hardship duty pay. What the army is doing is guaranteeing that the boy will go to war and the Pentagon is paying him now so he can't back out later. Any recruit faces strictpunishment if they refuse duty when coming of age. If the recruit is incapacitated or killed before two years of service, he or his relatives will have to pay back the rest of the money "owed" to the government.

High school students can petition their high school to remove them from the recruiting lists given the army if they don't want to be pressured into enlisting. And they can just say no.

If true, disgusting.

At the moment the best I can find is the google Cache of the Apr. 5th story, but it doesn't link up to the rest of it.

http://64.233.187.104/search?q=cache:Yn7QlNy6ldoJ:www.pointblank-dm.com/+tim+schmitt+pointblank&hl=en

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 01:45 pm
Cyclop, I'm not sure how they can enforce this "contract" on children under 18 years of age.
0 Replies