THE US, THE UN AND THE IRAQIS THEMSELVES, V. 7.0

ican711nm

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 10:52 pm
old europe wrote:
ican, I read your post. Maybe I failed to notice. Were does it say: "Al Qaeda were based in Iraq prior to US invasion of Iraq."???

It clearly doesn't say exactly that; it logically implies exactly that from what it does say.
www.9-11commission.gov/report/index.htm
CHAPTER 2.4
Quote:
Bin Ladin seemed willing to include in the confederation terrorists from almost every corner of the Muslim world. His vision mirrored that of Sudan's Islamist leader, Turabi, who convened a series of meetings under the label Popular Arab and Islamic Conference around the time of Bin Ladin's arrival in that country. Delegations of violent Islamist extremists came from all the groups represented in Bin Ladin's Islamic Army Shura. Representatives also came from organizations such as the Palestine Liberation Organization, Hamas, and Hezbollah.51

In the late 1990s, these extremist groups suffered major defeats by Kurdish forces. In 2001, with Bin Ladin's help they re-formed into an organization called Ansar al Islam. There are indications that by then the Iraqi regime tolerated and may even have helped Ansar al Islam against the common Kurdish enemy.54

Obvious Implications:
1. Bin Laden wanted to include all terrorist groups in his Islamic Army Shura he also calls, al Qaeda;
2. In 2001, bin Laden helped re-establish the terrorists in northeastern Iraq.

Obvious Implications of the preceding obvious implications:
The terrorists re-established in northeastern Iraq in 2001, under the name Ansar al Islam, were part of al Qaeda.

Obvious Conclusion from the preceding obvious implications of the prior preceding obvious implications:
An al Qaeda group was established in northeastern Iraq in 2001.

Fact: US invaded Iraq in 2003.

Fact: The year 2003 occurred after the year 2001.

Obvious implication from the preceding Conclusion and Preceding Facts:
Al Qaeda were based in Iraq prior to US invasion of Iraq.

old europe wrote:
About Franks' lovely memoirs: You boldfaced several parts, but how are ammo storage sites related to al Qaeda? There must be thousands of ammo storage sites in the US, too. Right? Does this mean there are al Qaeda bases in the US?

Saddam's ordnance storage facilities existed in violation of UN sanctions. These sanctions prohibited the storage of such ordnance to prevent Saddam from voluntarily selling and/or delivering his ordnance to terrorist groups.

US ordinance storage facilities do not exist in violation of UN sanctions. Nor does the US voluntarily sell and/or deliver its ordnance to terrorist groups.

old europe wrote:
And what about the camp south of Baghdad? Not even Franks says it was an al Qaeda camp. He says, "The Marines killed them all." Which is very laudable. But were does he say: "This was an al Qaeda camp"?

Correct, Franks didn't say it. He did say those in that camp were "several hundred foreign fighters from Egypt, the Sudan, Syria, and Libya." It follows by implication from the 9-11 Commission Report's, Obvious Implication 1. For example, according to Chapter 2.4, the paragraph referencing Notes 56 and 57, Egyptian terrorist groups were already included in al Qaeda at the time bin Laden was based in Sudan in the 1990s.

The 1990s also occurred prior to our invasion of Iraq in 2003.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 11:02 pm
old europe wrote:
Very Happy

But then, I don't know how Lash ended...

Nicely! :wink:
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 11:09 pm
No.

Look at the 9-11 commission report you quoted.

Quote:
In 2001, with Bin Ladin's help they re-formed into an organization called Ansar al Islam.

That's what you make of it:

ican711nm wrote:
The terrorists re-established in northeastern Iraq in 2001, under the name Ansar al Islam, were part of al Qaeda.

Not at all an obvious implication. Mullah Krekar, the alleged leader of Ansar al Islam, even said there was no connection to bin Laden whatsoever. I don't necessarily believe him. On the other hand, had the implications been so obvious, why wouldn't the 9-11 report simply state that?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 11:15 pm
ican711nm wrote:
Saddam's ordnance storage facilities existed in violation of UN sanctions. These sanctions prohibited the storage of such ordnance to prevent Saddam from voluntarily selling and/or delivering his ordnance to terrorist groups.

US ordinance storage facilities do not exist in violation of UN sanctions. Nor does the US voluntarily sell and/or deliver its ordnance to terrorist groups.

Actually, UN sanctions didn't prohibit the storage of ammo per se. UN sanctions didn't prohibit owning missiles, likewise.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 02:20 am
They sure do make for good straws to grasp!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 02:59 am
Lash said:

"I strongly question the virility of a man who asks a naked woman to put her clothes on".

That was a bit un-called for Lash, I was only suggesting you put on some black underwear in deference to the Pope.

I have a few ideasÂ…Smile
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 03:13 am
I had to edit my last post because I wanted to arrange some words in a circle which the system wont allow me to do.

So I'll have to use another technique

Some people still dont get the big picture, so I've made it a little simpler.

Re arrange the following into a well known phrase or saying.

Afghanistan Osama bin Laden Pipelines Kazakhstan Iraq Energy Liberates

There you go easy wasn't it?

You still haven't got it?

OK here's that list again

Pipeline

Energy

Afghanistan

Kazakhstan

Osama bin laden

Iraq

Liberates

Now don't tell me....
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 05:51 am
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4388919.stm

Splits paralyse Iraqi parliament
The Iraqi parliament's second-only session broke up in acrimony as MPs lashed out at political leaders for their failure to form a government.
Initially the meeting was delayed for hours as Shia, Kurdish and Sunni Arab leaders haggled over who would fill the position of parliamentary speaker.

Then officials ordered a ban on media coverage when criticism started being voiced over the intercommunal deadlock.

Parliament is due to reconvene on Sunday to try again to name a speaker.

It was an embarrassing day for Iraq's newly-elected politicians, says BBC Baghdad correspondent Caroline Hawley.

There is growing frustration over delays in forming a government after millions if Iraqis defied the threat of insurgent violence to vote at the end of January.

Delays

Tuesday's session was meant to show that progress was being made, but has instead exposed tensions in the newly-formed 275-seat parliament.

Proceedings were held up for three hours as Shia, Kurdish and Sunni Arab members tried to agree on a Sunni Arab candidate to be speaker, as promised before the session.

The Shia are pushing for the appointment of Fawaz Jarba, who is a member of the Shia-dominated United Iraqi Alliance, which won the elections.

Kurdish deputies are said to favour another candidate, while Sunni Arab MPs and those not represented in parliament are split over what they want.
Interim President Ghazi Yawer has been put forward as a compromise candidate, but he has turned down the position.

"We demand to know the details of what's happening behind the scenes!" one female MP shouted before TV feeds of Monday's session were cut.

During the heated debate interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi stormed out of the session, followed by Mr Yawer.

A parliament speaker is needed before MPs can begin discussions about the formation of the presidency council which will appoint the key position of prime minister.

Control

The appointment of a Sunni Arab is meant as a gesture to that minority which largely boycotted the elections, having held sway over Iraq during Saddam Hussein's regime.

Iraq's fragmented political scene has been beset by further divisions over Sunni power, the role of religion and jockeying for Cabinet posts.

The Kurds are expected to retain the foreign ministry and Sunni Arabs to get the defence ministry.

But control of the oil ministry has proved a major sticking point between the Shia - representing the majority of Iraqis - and the Kurds.

As the deadlock continued, insurgents have pursued their campaign of violence to destabilise the new Iraq taking shape under US-led occupation.

Three Romanian journalists went missing on Monday, and are feared kidnapped.

At least one person was killed and 17 others were wounded in a massive car bombing targeting a Kurdish official in the northern city of Kirkuk on Tuesday, police said.

A top oil official escaped assassination when his convoy was targeted by a car bomb in the southern city of Basra.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/middle_east/4388919.stm

Published: 2005/03/29 16:31:50 GMT
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 07:14 am
Laughing Steve. Just smarting from rejection. I'm sure your virility is intact.

Is there anyone who sees the dissention as routine. Compared to the births of other nations? Isn't it already a success that the Parliamen has decided to give the Sunnis---(who sat on their hands during the election)--the speakership?

The only thing that raises my eyebrow in the previous article is that defense, the oil ministry and the foreign ministry are to be administered by political/ethnic factions rather than bodies composed of each ethnic group. I know initially things may bog quite a bit, but the message is that they cannot work together. In the long-term, I think this is a mistake.

Anyone else?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 07:17 am
Lash, agreed with the last.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 09:34 am
revel wrote:
Lash, agreed with the last.

I think I agree too. I'm not in a position to disagree with anything while you're waving your stern so fetchingly. Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 11:52 am
Lash's quote, "Is there anyone who sees the dissention as routine. Compared to the births of other nations? Isn't it already a success that the Parliamen has decided to give the Sunnis---(who sat on their hands during the election)--the speakership?" We are all hoping that Iraq will some day enjoy democracy, but their history of division doesn't bode too well for democracy to take foothold any time soon. I don't think even the experts on Iraq are sure how this experiment on democracy is going to end up.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 11:56 am
far too much agreeing going on

Its unlealthy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 11:57 am
I totally agre on that.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 11:58 am
Smile

agree
unhealthy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 12:14 pm
It stymies debate.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 12:15 pm
dont you mean stimies
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 12:16 pm
You Brits don't know how to spell anything right! LOL
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 12:22 pm
no

we just make it up as we go along,

like everyone else
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 12:56 pm
Oh. Wonderful to agree occasionally, Revel and McTag.

Disagreement comes often enough.

"....waving my stern...." Priceless. This teaches me a lesson on the value of nudity in the pursuit of world peace.
0 Replies