THE US, THE UN AND THE IRAQIS THEMSELVES, V. 7.0

old europe

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 04:21 pm
yeah. like that avatar...

<drool>
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 04:25 pm
oops, too slow. Meant Lash's, not your's, ican.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 04:29 pm
revel wrote:
... I have been feeling a bit sorry for those who do not belong to an exclusive club like the Blame America First Club and I set my mind to coming up with a name for those who don't qualify to get into such a sought after club and came up with a (not really original) club, I call it the Blame Everybody But Bush club or to make it short and instantly recognizable: BEBB.

Here's another you might want to consider: Blame Only Our Bush club, or BOOB. Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 04:40 pm
If Bush had boobs instead of balls, many may have different ideas about his management style.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 05:01 pm
boy, lash really got you guys going, huh? Laughing
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 06:56 pm
old europe wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
Repeatedly posted:
<snip> Al Qaeda were based in Iraq prior to US invasion of Iraq.

You posted this repeatedly indeed. Nevertheless, it's a lie.

WHO IS LYING?

In the subsequent quotes, which I have also posted here repeatedly, the boldface is added by me.

www.9-11commission.gov/report/index.htm
Excerpts from Chapter 2.4
Quote:
Bin Ladin seemed willing to include in the confederation terrorists from almost every corner of the Muslim world. His vision mirrored that of Sudan's Islamist leader, Turabi, who convened a series of meetings under the label Popular Arab and Islamic Conference around the time of Bin Ladin's arrival in that country. Delegations of violent Islamist extremists came from all the groups represented in Bin Ladin's Islamic Army Shura. Representatives also came from organizations such as the Palestine Liberation Organization, Hamas, and Hezbollah.51

Bin Ladin was also willing to explore possibilities for cooperation with Iraq, even though Iraq's dictator, Saddam Hussein, had never had an Islamist agenda-save for his opportunistic pose as a defender of the faithful against "Crusaders" during the Gulf War of 1991. Moreover, Bin Ladin had in fact been sponsoring anti-Saddam Islamists in Iraqi Kurdistan, and sought to attract them into his Islamic army.53

To protect his own ties with Iraq, Turabi reportedly brokered an agreement that Bin Ladin would stop supporting activities against Saddam. Bin Ladin apparently honored this pledge, at least for a time, although he continued to aid a group of Islamist extremists operating in part of Iraq (Kurdistan) outside of Baghdad's control. In the late 1990s, these extremist groups suffered major defeats by Kurdish forces. In 2001, with Bin Ladin's help they re-formed into an organization called Ansar al Islam. There are indications that by then the Iraqi regime tolerated and may even have helped Ansar al Islam against the common Kurdish enemy.54

Excerpts from "American Soldier," by General Tommy Franks:
Quote:
1. [CHAPTER 12, page 483] The Air Picture changed once more. Now the icons were streaming toward two ridges and a steep valley in far northeastern Iraq, right on the border with Iran. These were the camps of the Ansar al-Islam terrorists, where al Qaeda leader Abu Musab Zarqawi had trained disciples in the use of chemical and biological weapons. But this strike was more than just another TLAM [Tomahawk Land Attack Missle] bashing. Soon Special Forces and SMU [Special Mission Unit] operators leading Kurdish Peshmerga fighters, would be storming the camps, collecting evidence, taking prisoners, and killing all those who resisted.

2. [CHAPTER 12, page 519] And they had also encountered several hundred foreign fighters from Egypt, the Sudan, Syria, and Libya who were being trained by the regime in a camp south of Baghdad. These foreign volunteers fought with suicidal ferocity, but they did not fight well. The Marines killed them all.

3. [CHAPTER 12, page 522] This whole country is one big weapons dump, I thought. There must be thousands of ammo storage sites. It will take years to clear them all.

www.britannica.com
Excerpt from Encyclopedia Britannica article "Iraq"
Quote:
In April 1991 the United States, the United Kingdom, and France established a “safe haven” in Iraqi Kurdistan, in which Iraqi forces were barred from operating. Within a short time the Kurds had established autonomous rule, and two main Kurdish factions—the KDP in the north and the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK) in the south—contended with one another for control. This competition encouraged the Ba'thist regime to attempt to direct affairs in the Kurdish Autonomous Region by various means, including military force. The Iraqi military launched a successful attack against the Kurdish city of Arbil in 1996 and engaged in a consistent policy of ethnic cleansing in areas directly under its control—particularly in and around the oil-rich city of Karkuk—that were inhabited predominantly by Kurds and other minorities.

Excerpt from Colin Powell speech to the UN, 2/5/2003:
www.state.gov/secretary/rm/2003/17300.htm
Quote:
When our coalition ousted the Taliban, the Zarqawi network helped establish another poison and explosive training center camp, and this camp is located in northeastern Iraq. … Those helping to run this camp are Zarqawi lieutenants operating in northern Kurdish areas outside Saddam Hussein's controlled Iraq.
We asked a friendly security service to approach Baghdad about extraditing Zarqawi and providing information about him and his close associates. This service contacted Iraqi officials twice and we passed details that should have made it easy to find Zarqawi. The network remains in Baghdad. Zarqawi still remains at large, to come and go.
I infer from all the above that the US asked Saddam to attempt to take control of al Qaeda leadership in northeastern Iraq. Saddam chose not to attempt to take control of al Qaeda leadership in northeastern Iraq. So the US is attempting to take control of al Qaeda leadership in northeastern Iraq--as well as in the rest of Iraq.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 07:42 pm
ican, I read your post. Maybe I failed to notice. Were does it say:

"Al Qaeda were based in Iraq prior to US invasion of Iraq."???

To sum up your sources:

- Bin Laden had been sponsoring anti-Saddam Islamists
- Saddam tried to broker a deal with Bin Laden to stop him doing so via a guy from Sudan
- Saddam tried to change the Islamists goals from attacking him to attacking the Kurds
- Bin Laden nevertheless continued to sponsor the Islamists, breaking the deal with Saddam
- Saddam sent his own military against the Kurds
- the last time he succeeded in attacking Kurdish territory was 1996
- in 2001 Condoleeza Rice said he had lost control over said territory
- the Islamists were operating in a part of Iraq (Kurdistan) outside of Saddam's control
- in 2001 Powell said Saddam was unable to project conventional power against his neighbors
- in 2003 Powell said Saddam failed to provide information about Zarqawi

but were, exactly, does it say: "Al Qaeda were based in Iraq"?

About Franks' lovely memoirs: You boldfaced several parts, but how are ammo storage sites related to al Qaeda? There must be thousands of ammo storage sites in the US, too. Right? Does this mean there are al Qaeda bases in the US?
And what about the camp south of Baghdad? Not even Franks says it was an al Qaeda camp. He says, "The Marines killed them all." Which is very laudable. But were does he say: "This was an al Qaeda camp"?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 07:49 pm
I strongly question the virility of a man who asks a naked woman to put her clothes on.

My deepest thanks to McTag and OE for the defense of my current self-expression.

Now. I promise to stay on topic.

Revel-- I didn't have a problem with our conversation in the least. The War in Iraq hasn't been a black and white affair for me. Was really trying to confront 'justification'.

Question: Do you think the Kurds will come down into more Southerly areas now? If so, how will this affect the social order in Iraq? Or maybe they'll stay in the hinterlands, hoping to link up with other Kurds in Turkey and to the East?

Does anyone foresee any social relocations in Saddam's absence?
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 08:15 pm
The barbecue will have to move to Fridays.... unless Survivors moves to Tuesday.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 08:22 pm
unless all the "old hands" - former diplomats, historians, retired generals - are wrong, there'll be plenty of nasty surprises in the middle east in the years to come. even after about 150 years of westernization attempts of various nations wanting to bring 'western freedoms' to the middle-east it seems that these attempts have not been very successful. what the eventual outcome will be, i wouldn't even want to guess. it just seems to me that unless western nations have something to offer that appeals to the nations of the middle east, any kind of westernization is going to fail. just to say that we in the west know better what's good for for the people in the middle east, isn't going to be enough to persuade them to adopt our methods. it's beeen tried before - many times - to no avail.

imo it would be better to treat the nations of the middle east the way we treat china. we trade with china, we are having fairly good diplomatic relations with china, but other than that we leave the chinese people do develop their own governmental system. doesn't seem to waste nearly as many human lives.

hbg
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 08:25 pm
I think if the Chinese were to send a few kamikazes over to NYC, we'd change our relationship.

(I know. The kamikazes were Japanese. You know what I mean.)
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 08:27 pm
Nah, doesn't matter. Saddam didn't even have to do that.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 08:32 pm
lash wrote : " I think if the Chinese were to send a few kamikazes over to NYC, we'd change our relationship".

all the chinese need to do is send more containerships with goods for (all-american) walmart to sell to the americans. much more effective than any WMD . and even better, people want ever more of them - the cheap goods, that is ! hbg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 08:34 pm
hbg, You're right on that score...we're helping the Chinese economy while most of the world struggles.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 08:36 pm
Insurgents attack Abu Ghraib jail

The attack appeared to be well-organised
Dozens of insurgents in Iraq have carried out an attack on Baghdad's Abu Ghraib prison.
The US military said the assault began after dark with two car bombs, followed by small arms fire and grenades.

Soldiers fought back, and the Americans say they have now restored control. At least 20 US soldiers and 12 prisoners were reported wounded.

More than 3,000 detainees are held at the jail, which was at the centre of a scandal last year over prisoner abuse.

Between 40 and 60 insurgents are thought to have taken part in the assault - described by one official as a very big, very well-organised attack.

Audacious attack

Some witnesses have said the second car bomb went off while US troops were trying to evacuate the casualties from the first.

The jail has been targeted before with mortars.

This latest attack comes as both US and Iraqi officials say the level of violence has gone down since January's elections.

Nine weeks since the vote, the Iraqi parliament is due to make another attempt to appoint a speaker, the first stage in forming a government to end the political limbo here.

Correspondents say MPs were hoping to break a deadlock over the post at last-minute meetings on Friday.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 08:42 pm
The Kurds will stay in northern Iraq for the most part, and will maintain their own ethnic identity.

This portends to be a big problem for Turkey, as any kind of autonomous Kurdish state in Iraq would inspire Kurds in other countries to clamor for their own autonomous regions. The Turks have been suppressing nationalist Kurds there for a few decades now.

It's too early to tell if the Kurds from the different countries will come together to form one Kurdish autonomous region. The Euskadi of northern Spain and southern France have managed to form an autonomous region within those two countries. For the Kurds this would be a daunting task seeing as how they're located within at least four countries, Iraq, Iran, Turkey and Syria, that I know of.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 08:51 pm
c.i. : i seem to recall that about a year ago, we were discussing the history of the middle east and what one might learn from it. it seems to me that now we are usually just bringing forward arguments and counter-arguments about the war in iraq. while i know that circumstances change, history can still provide pretty good guidance even in today's fast changing world. unfortunately many of today's political leaders all over the world seem to have little knowledge of history and geo-politics and just stumble along - that's seems to be particularly applicable to the "leaders of the western world" ( ? smiles ? - no, tears !). hbg
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 08:52 pm
Lash wrote:
I strongly question the virility of a man who asks a naked woman to put her clothes on.

My deepest thanks to McTag and OE for the defense of my current self-expression.

Now. I promise to stay on topic.

Revel-- I didn't have a problem with our conversation in the least. The War in Iraq hasn't been a black and white affair for me. Was really trying to confront 'justification'.

Question: Do you think the Kurds will come down into more Southerly areas now? If so, how will this affect the social order in Iraq? Or maybe they'll stay in the hinterlands, hoping to link up with other Kurds in Turkey and to the East?

Does anyone foresee any social relocations in Saddam's absence?

I accept that about justification (probably spelled wrong) and will move on.

You probably meant anyone in general for your question but if anything that I have read to date says anything about the mind set of the kurds, I think they want their own state without actually calling it that. They want control of most of the oil and want their own army. As for if they will come down to other parts of Iraq, why would they when compared to the rest of Iraq they have been not been hit too much by insurgents and their cities are doing better because of it?

As for your sexy avatar, if you got it flount it if your comfortable about it.

Everyone makes the most of what they got, as for me in the vain hopes of getting my loved ones attention tonight I adopted the old wives tale of "the way to a husbands heart is through his stomach." I should have took lessons from you as I cooked all afternoon, chicken and dumplings, whole green beans, fried cornbread and whole boiled patatoes. He is now fast asleep snoring his head off and here I sit... :wink:
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 09:39 pm
old europe wrote:
oops, too slow. Meant Lash's, not your's, ican.
Laughing

I wonder does Lash's end justify her means?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 09:42 pm
Very Happy

But then, I don't know how Lash ended...
0 Replies