THE US, THE UN AND THE IRAQIS THEMSELVES, V. 7.0

ican711nm

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 10:02 pm
ican's comments are in blue

Cycloptichorn wrote:
I see what you are saying, Ican, but the crux of the problem to me and, I feel, many others, is not the larger possibilty of whether we can bring democracy to Iraq, but the simple fact that we were lied to, and grandly. I cannot abide such poor leadership; either gigantic liars or gigantic fools, either way they must go.
I too cannot abide such poor leadership. I differ from you in that I look at George W. Bush in both the present context and in the past contexts of the such poor leadership of his predecessors.

I want much better leadership. Where can I find it? After I find it how can I promote it?

Too many people look at the lousy job that's been done over the last 30 years and conclude that we can solve the problem of lousy leadership by giving government more to do to make our lives easier. That's just plain stupid! I think it's long past time for all of us--center, left, right, up, down, front, and rear--to not only question the wisdom of giving government more to do to make our lives easier, but also to reduce what government does to make our lives easier..

I just don't trust the 9/11 commission report. Why? Because it's just another gov't document, edited, redacted, and hidden from view, protested by the Gov't at first and then only grudingly co-operated with. Parts of it were (are?) classified. They found out nothing even resembling the truth as far as I am concerned.
The only thing going for the 9/11 Commission Report is that it was produced by a single collective of competitive incompetents who investigated other incompetents. All the other stuff published on the same subject is more incompetent.

Accordingly, one cannot trust the Bush admin. to operate the WoT properly. They are either liars or incompetent. Therefore, one cannot trust them to do the right things in Iraq, in Afghanistan, and in 'other' countries. Cycloptichorn
As things stand at present, Bush&Adm is the best we're going to have for the next almost 4 years. Our choice is to either continue to support the obstruction of the incompetent bunch we have by a more incompetent bunch, or to do what we can to help the incompetent bunch we have do a less incompetent job.

I like the second choice better than the first, because I bet the first choice has zero chance of making things less worse, while the second choice has at least a finite chance of making things less worse.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 10:11 pm
Not the 9/11 report part too?

I didn't really start to research/read the report until after I read about the Bush dept. suppressing the important parts:

Quote:
February 10, 2005
BUSH ADMINISTRATION SUPRESSED 9/11 AVIATION REPORT CONTAINING MANY WARNINGS
In the months before the Sept. 11 attacks, federal aviation officials reviewed dozens of intelligence reports that warned about Osama bin Laden and Al Qaeda, some of which specifically discussed airline hijackings and suicide operations, according to a previously undisclosed report from the 9/11 commission.

The Bush administration has blocked the public release of the full, classified version of the report for more than five months, officials said, much to the frustration of former commission members who say it provides a critical understanding of the failures of the civil aviation system. The administration provided both the classified report and a declassified, 120-page version to the National Archives two weeks ago and, even with heavy redactions in some areas, the declassified version provides the firmest evidence to date about the warnings that aviation officials received concerning the threat of an attack on airliners and the failure to take steps to deter it.

http://americaforsale.org/mt/archives/000172.php

I mean, how many parts are still being held back? You don't even know. I picked up a copy and spent a long two weeks slogging through it, and while there is useful information on what went wrong, there is little truth as to who was responsible, who knew what beforehand, and what information was ignored. It cannot be trusted as a referrence which one bases argument off of, in my opinion; just another cover-over report that manages to not lay blame upon anyone, really....

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 10:15 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
On our way to implement a democracy in Iraq, we forgot something very important.

Children 'starving' in new Iraq

More and more children in Iraq do not have enough food to eat
Increasing numbers of children in Iraq do not have enough food to eat and more than a quarter are chronically undernourished, a UN report says.

Some 17,000 children die every day from hunger-related diseases, the report claims, which it says is a scandal in a world which is richer than ever before.

"The silent daily massacre by hunger is a form of murder," Mr Ziegler said. "It must be battled and eliminated."

Yes, this "silent daily massacre" is a form of murder. It must be stopped. The Baathist-AQs Alliance must be stopped, because it is they who are causing this "silent daily massacre" by sabotaging the efforts of the US and Iraq to make things better.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 10:45 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I didn't really start to research/read the report until after I read about the Bush dept. suppressing the important parts:

It cannot be trusted as a referrence which one bases argument off of, in my opinion; just another cover-over report that manages to not lay blame upon anyone, really.... Cycloptichorn

I'm not interested in who shall I blame. I didn't buy the 9/11 Report document to determine who I should vilify. What good will more vilification do? What will that fix when so many of those to blame are no longer in the government.

What I'm interested in is what needs to be fixed, and how to fix what needs to be fixed. The FAAs failures are old news. I don't know why you think the FAA failures are not already well known. Bringing them up again will accomplish less than nothing. All we will be reminded of is that both the Clinton and Bush administrations dealt with the terrorist problem with near equal incompetence. How will that help us make things less worse?

What unfortunately is still new news is the obstruction of too many to making the changes that need to be made for fixing what needs to be fixed. Their obstruction is based on the notion that we ought not have to give up any of our freedom to fix anything. That too is stupid. One rarely gets nothing for nothing. More often one can get someting for a little.

Chapters 11, 12, and 13 of the 9/11 Report identify what needs to be fixed and how to fix it. Let's get on with it:
Chapter 11, page 339, FORESIGHT--AND HINDSIGHT
Chapter 12, page 361, WHAT TO DO? A GLOBAL STRATEGY
Chapter 13, page 399, HOW TO DO IT? A DIFFERENT WAY OF ORGANIZING THE GOVERNMENT
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 11:43 pm
One thing is that the Kurds were prepared to deal with these terrorists at the time, which is true. Another thing is the likely success or otherwise of that operation, which is a non-sequitur. Their success would have been more or less along the line of the odds of our success or otherwise in eliminating terrorism in Iraq by our invasion and occupation of that country.

That it was the US that ultimately hindered the Kurd's move against these terrorists is a fact. They had planned to make their move before our invasion and occupation of the entire country. It was our imminent invasion and occupation of Iraq that ultimately hindered their move. Posting what Franks said is a non-sequitur. When we invaded Iraq the terrorists had long since vacated those camps and infiltrated the rest of the country. Our invasion made their infiltration possible.

Powell didn't blunder once, he blundered often and repeatedly in that speech of his before the UN. It is to that speech, the speech in which we justified our plans for the invasion and occupation of Iraq, which I refer.

For one, the US government justifies its war based on its selfsame incompetence. You, ican, justify our war based on Powell's and the US' incompetence.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 03:54 am
georgeob1 wrote:
The "Peak Oil" fantasy has been exposed as pseudo science and a fraud on another thread. The Euro bit is a delusion contrary to the facts. The imputed motives for the United States don't survive even brief scrutiny.

Well we must agree to differ. For me, they offer the most plausible reason for the US's aberrant behaviour.

Quote:

However, if, after all that, you wish to believe this fable, go ahead. Certainly it shouldn't be at all unfamiliar to an inhabitant of Great Britain..

Again with the historical allusions. It's not helpful. I promise I will not hold you responsible for the actions of the conquistadors or the genocide of the "indian wars"
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 06:55 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Quote:
February 10, 2005
BUSH ADMINISTRATION SUPRESSED 9/11 AVIATION REPORT CONTAINING MANY WARNINGS
In the months before the Sept. 11 attacks, federal aviation officials reviewed dozens of intelligence reports that warned about Osama bin Laden and Al Qaeda, some of which specifically discussed airline hijackings and suicide operations, according to a previously undisclosed report from the 9/11 commission.

The Bush administration has blocked the public release of the full, classified version of the report for more than five months, officials said, much to the frustration of former commission members who say it provides a critical understanding of the failures of the civil aviation system. The administration provided both the classified report and a declassified, 120-page version to the National Archives two weeks ago and, even with heavy redactions in some areas, the declassified version provides the firmest evidence to date about the warnings that aviation officials received concerning the threat of an attack on airliners and the failure to take steps to deter it.

http://americaforsale.org/mt/archives/000172.php

I mean, how many parts are still being held back? You don't even know. I picked up a copy and spent a long two weeks slogging through it, and while there is useful information on what went wrong, there is little truth as to who was responsible, who knew what beforehand, and what information was ignored. It cannot be trusted as a referrence which one bases argument off of, in my opinion; just another cover-over report that manages to not lay blame upon anyone, really....

Cycloptichorn

I don't like arguing with you as I don't have too many that I mostly agree with on every single issue. But :wink: the way I honestly see it their hands were tied on what they could reveal and what they couldn't reveal. I think considering the Bush administration and the fight they had they did a pretty good job of trying to search out the truth.

You are right that they should dug deeper into the failures of the bush (and past) administration and exposed them but like any other body in government partisan politics rears it's head.

In the end I guess your right after all as for the public depending on the 9/11 report for information of exactly how 9/11 happened.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 06:59 am
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4390703.stm

Political chaos stokes Iraqi fears
By Roger Hardy
BBC Middle East analyst

The members of Iraq's newly elected National Assembly have gathered in the capital Baghdad - but deadlock persists over the formation of a new government.
The long delay in forming a new government has dismayed many Iraqis who defied the violence to vote on 30 January.

Many are waiting impatiently for a new leadership to emerge which will tackle the country's urgent problems.

First and foremost is ending the violence which has plagued the country since the overthrow of Saddam Hussein and his government nearly two years ago.

But what is blocking progress is more than a classic power struggle.

At stake is the character of the new Iraq, not just the dividing up of the top jobs.

Kurdish hopes

The two groups which emerged as the winners in the elections - the Kurds and the Shia - have been at odds over fundamental issues.

The Shia want a united Iraq run from the centre in Baghdad, in which Islamic values will be accorded high priority.
The Kurds of the north have a more secular outlook and want substantial autonomy.

Indeed, as their critics would argue, they want statehood in all but name.

In particular, they lay claim to the oil-rich city of Kirkuk, which currently lies outside the area they control.

Enter the Sunnis

A few days ago, it looked as if Kurdish and Shia leaders had just about ironed out their differences and it was expected this would pave the way for the much-delayed formation of a government.

A country which once took pride in championing Arab nationalism now finds itself increasingly fragmented

But now the main losers in the elections - the Sunnis - have entered the fray, complicating an already complex game of bargaining.
The Sunnis largely boycotted the elections, a decision some of them now think was a big mistake.

A committee of five Sunnis has now joined the fraught negotiations over forming a government.

Having traditionally been the country's ruling elite, the Sunnis feel bitter about being marginalised.

But they are not united and this is making it difficult for them to present a credible front in the ongoing negotiations.

Moreover, psychologically they are in no mood to accept what they regard as crumbs from the victors.

They want a real share of power, not just token representation.

Damaging trend

The long period of haggling is not just an embarrassment for those who hailed the elections as a turning point.

It also highlights with stark clarity the communal character of the new Iraqi politics.

A country which once took pride in championing Arab nationalism now finds itself increasingly fragmented.

Politicians still pay lip service to the idea of a strong and united Iraq with equal rights for all.

But, in reality, what counts now in Iraqi politics is whether you are Arab or Kurd, Sunni or Shia.

Many Iraqis see this as a damaging trend and feel they are being forced to give their allegiance to their ethnic or religious community rather than to the nation as a whole.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/middle_east/4390703.stm

Published: 2005/03/29 14:21:20 GMT

© BBC MMV
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 07:25 am
Quote:

Iraq war is blamed for starvation

Rory Carroll in Baghdad
Thursday March 31, 2005
The Guardian

Acute malnutrition among Iraqi children aged under five nearly doubled last year because of chaos caused by the US-led occupation, a United Nations expert said yesterday.

Jean Ziegler, the UN Human Rights Commission's special expert on the right to food, said more than a quarter of Iraqi children do not have enough to eat and 7.7% are acutely malnourished - a jump from 4% recorded in the immediate aftermath of the US-led invasion.

Reporting to the commission's headquarters in Geneva, the Swiss professor claimed the situation was "a result of the war led by coalition forces".

If confirmed, the estimates would be an indictment of an occupation which was supposed to improve the lives of a population crushed by Saddam Hussein.

Billions of dollars-worth of aid flowed into Iraq from the fall of Saddam Hussein regime's in April 2003. But the regime's collapse and widespread violence destroyed jobs and made aid distribution difficult.

Prof Ziegler based some of his analysis on a US study in October 2004 which estimated that up to 100,000 extra Iraqis, mostly women and children, had died since the invasion than would have been expected to before the war.

"Most died as a result of the violence, but many others died as a result of the increasingly difficult living conditions, reflected in increasing child mortality levels," he said.

Would this be the result of 'compassionate Conservatism' or 'leave no child behind'?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 07:34 am
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 07:40 am
Quote:
UPI is rightly anxious at the failure of Iraq's politicians to form a government. The mood in the street is turning ugly. Quotes:

' Iraqi voters aren't happy.They don't care that some of the biggest political changes ever to happen in their lifetime are going on in their country. All they know is that the electricity still is off for hours every day, the water doesn't always flow out of the faucets, there are still long gas queues at the stations, and the situation still seems pretty lawless in the streets. "We're very disappointed," said Hathem Hassan Thani, 31, a political science graduate student at Baghdad University."Some personalities are trying to make the political operation fail, and they don't want to give positions to the Sunni Muslims."

and here is the really alarming one:

The Iraqi people are very itchy.The street is very nervous," said Saad Jawar Qindeel, a spokesman for the Supreme Council of Islamic Revolution in Iraq, one of two dominant religious-based parties that won the United Iraqi Alliance ticket."There's a lot of talk of people ready to protest."

Despite all the talk of draw-downs and tipping points, the guerrillas are in fact inflicting substantial attrition on our Abrams tanks. The guerrillas in Afghanistan had their biggest successes against the Soviets when they learned out to take out the Soviet tanks, so this news is pretty scarey.

Likewise, that the Americans have had to double the number of arrestees in the Iraqi prisons in the past five months is another bad sign. (Prisoners are now 10,400). It looks as thought he guerrillas are growing in sophistication and are succeeding in recruiting increased numbers of Iraqis.
Tue, Mar 29, 2005 23:27
4. Car Bomb Targeting Shiites Kills 7, Wounds 9 T...
Car Bomb Targeting Shiites Kills 7, Wounds 9

The war in Iraq is the most important problem facing the US in the eyes of the American public, according to a recent poll. Iraq is more important than the economy, terrorism or social security. You'd think the US media and the Democratic Party could take a hint and foreground Iraq. But they are letting it fade . . .

At least 18 persons were wounded by a car bombing in the northern oil city of Kirkuk early on Tuesday.

Shiite pilgrims were targeted by a suicide bomber on Monday. Reuters reports: "Police in Iskandariya, south of Baghdad, said the car bomber struck on a road leading toward Kerbala, a sacred Shi'ite city where this week hundreds of thousands of pilgrims will mark Arbain, an annual mourning ceremony." The bomb killed 7 and wounded 9.

Another suicide bomber on a bicycle blew up a police car and killed two policemen, also on the road from Baghdad to Karbala.

In southwest Baghad, guerrillas killed a police colonel. In Najaf, US troops at a checkpoint accidentally shot down a high police officer.

Some 8 corpses of police officers were found dead in southern Tikrit, according to al-Jazeerah.

The violence on Monday had a dangerous undertone of sectarian strife.

Ghazi al-Yawir withdrew his name from consideration as speaker of the Iraqi parliament, setting off a scramble to find a Sunni Arab alternative.

Negotiations drag on about who gets what cabinet post, but no new government is in sight as the parliament plans a second largely ceremonial meeting on Tuesday.

The parliament's main task is to draft a new Iraqi constitution by an August 15 deadline, wich it very obviously will not meet.

Robert Worth reports that Shaikh Hareth al-Dhari of the Association of Muslim Scholars continues to reject Sunni Arab participation in the government as long as the US does not set a precise timetable for withdrawal from the country.

The Telegraph raises similar issues, but seems to me to answer them more pessimistically: "If Mr Pachachi is right, the development could signal a turning point in Iraq's insurgency, which is dominated by Sunni Arabs. But Sunni scholars were quick to deny a change of heart. "The elections have changed nothing," said Omar Ghalib, a member of the scholars. "It was an American rather than an Iraqi process." He reiterated a demand for a two-year timetable for the withdrawal of American troops as a condition for not calling for a fresh boycott ahead of the December polls. '
Mon, Mar 28, 2005 23:35
5. Fl

Source
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 11:32 am
Democrats no longer exists in the US. They're voting with the neocons on most legislation. The only thing they haven't addressed is social security according to the conservative tv ads.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 11:44 am
Hey, where did that come from, CI?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 11:51 am
Left field; but essentially correct.

It is important to note that while I like Democrats better than Republicans overall, I still think the Democrat party needs a loooooooot of work. There are many democratic Senators who are owned by corporations, which has to be addressed sooner or later.

I feel that, quite strategically, the Republicans have split the Democratic party in half by using framing and debate to shift the entire discourse in America to the right.

Suddenly, you're a radical leftist if you think everyone should have health care.

Suddenly, you are a radical leftist if you think we should use some judgement in prosecuting the WoT.

Suddenly, you are a radical leftist if you think that all people should enjoy equal rights.

This has lead to one half of the party continually screaming about how completely terribly the country is being ran, while the other half says we need to be more like Republicans in order to win. It's lead to somewhat a lack of cohesion.

Luckily I feel that strong initial showings by Reid and Dean can help bring the party back together. The unity shown on SS is phenomenal and has effectively blocked the President from taking action, and who would have thought that would have been the case last November? Not this kid.

We're gonna pound 'em in 2006 if we can hit the right issues; and if the Republicans keep mis-stepping, as they have done this year several times already.

Don't give up on em yet

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:14 pm
InfraBlue, my opinions are derived from excerpts from the following sources:
1. Colin Powell's Speech to the UN 2/5/2003;
2. "9/11 Commission Report;"
3. "Key Findings of the Charles Duelfer Report;"
4. "The American Soldier" by General Tommy Franks;
5. "The Encyclopedia Britannica."

Source 1 gave four primary justifications for invading Iraq besides the subsequently disproven WMD:
1. AQ (i.e., Al Qaeda) possessed sanctuary in Iraq in bases which AQ controlled;
2. The Saddam regime was committing genocide against the Iraqi people;
3. The Saddam regime was stockpiling ordnance in violation of UN sanctions;
4. The Saddam regime was planning to resume development of WMD after UN sanctions were lifted.

All four of these justifications given by Source 1 are supported by one or more of the Sources 2, 3, 4, and 5.

I gather you reject the validity of Source 1 plus some of the other four sources. Which of these sources do you reject and what evidence do you have that justifies their rejection?

WHY DO YOU BELIEVE:
Some of the Kurds did more than contemplate and discuss trying again by themselves to remove AQ from northern Iraq before the US invaded Iraq?

InfraBlue wrote:
...When we invaded Iraq the terrorists had long since vacated those camps and infiltrated the rest of the country ...
?

AQ infiltration of the rest of Iraq was not a growing treat to Americans prior to our invasion?

Your and my opinions of the incompetence of the Bush&Adm and its predecessors are relevant to what are the true and valid justifications for US invasion of Iraq?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:22 pm
Well, I think there has been some pretty good work done by the Republicans in shooting themselves in the foot for '06.

Clear Skies = failure
Social Security = failure
Pissing off AARP = big mistake
Tom DeLay = ethical anchor
Nuclear Option = big mistake
Schiavo response = Huge mistake

If the Republicans keep it up we'll win plenty of seats. Off-year elections are a great way to counter the fanatical worship of Bushco that many display; the Republicans themselves have used mid-term elections to great effect in the past.

It's important to note that when one looks at the seats that were lost due to Texas redistricting, Dems didn't do all that bad in the Senate last election cycle and have the potential to make a strong showing in the next.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:30 pm
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE? Shocked
ican711nm wrote:
Yes, this "silent daily massacre" is a form of murder. It must be stopped. The Baathist-AQs Alliance must be stopped, because it is they who are causing this "silent daily massacre" by sabotaging the efforts of the US and Iraq to make things better.

Gelisgesti wrote:

Would this be the result of 'compassionate Conservatism' or 'leave no child behind'?

ican711nm wrote:

No, this is obviously the result of the alliance between the subversive, deposed Baathist terrorists and the subversive al Qaeda terrorists. The chaos is not US caused. It is Baathist-al-Qaeda caused.

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Right, right, everything is the fault of the bad evil mens and none of it ours.

What ever happened to the concept of personal responsibility? It has vanished.

Cicerone Imposter wrote:

Yeah, 25 percent of Iraqi children are starving, and the right would have us believe it's the Baathist's causing it. When we invaded Iraq for whatever reasons, it's now our responsibility for the whole shet'n kabootle whether we want it or not - in other words, it's our responsibility. Many on the right don't understand one thing about responsibility.

SO NOW IT IS ALL OUR RESONSIBILITY Question Rolling Eyes

IT IS NOT THE PERPETRATOR'S RESPONSIBILITY; IT IS THOSE WHO WOULD STOP THE PERPETRATORS WHO ARE RESPONSIBLE Question Shocked

"1984", You have arrived, only 21 years late Exclamation
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:43 pm
Right, right, everything is the fault of the bad evil mens and none of it ours.

What ever happened to the concept of personal responsibility? It has vanished.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:51 pm
Yeah, 25 percent of Iraqi children are starving, and the right would have us believe it's the Baathist's causing it. When we invaded Iraq for whatever reasons, it's now our responsibility for the whole shet'n kabootle whether we want it or not - in other words, it's our responsibility. Many on the right don't understand one thing about responsibility.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 01:00 pm
25% of Iraqi children are starving?!

Where in the wide, wide world of sports did you pull that stat from?
0 Replies