THE US, THE UN AND THE IRAQIS THEMSELVES, V. 7.0

ican711nm

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 07:58 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Ican, how many times must we bring up the fact that the US intended no such thing at all for Iraq? That the original plan said nothing about putting a democracy in there? How can you claim that this was the plan all along when there is substantial evidence that it was not? Cycloptichorn

I provided persuasive evidence that shows that your statement is a falsity, and that the original plan said something and not nothing "about putting a democracy in there (i.e., in Iraq).

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Ican Nothing you quoted or wrote addresses the very real fact that Bush blocked the progress towards an Iraqi democracy for quite a long time. Do you really need me to post a timeline of the ACTUAL events which took place in Iraq in 2003-04 that lead to the elections actually taking place? Cycloptichorn

Now you bring up another subject which I agree I have not yet addressed:
your allegation is that there exists:
Quote:
the very real fact that Bush blocked the progress towards an Iraqi democracy for quite a long time.

I have encountered zero evidence that Bush did any such thing. I have encountered evidence only that Bush on 9/15/2001 decided not to invade Iraq at that time:
www.9-11commission.gov/report/index.htm
Chapter 10.3 [boldface emphasis added by me]
Quote:
President Bush told Bob Woodward that the decision not to invade Iraq was made at the morning session on September 15 [2001]. Iraq was not even on the table during the September 15 afternoon session, which dealt solely with Afghanistan.69 Rice said that when President Bush called her on Sunday, September 16, he said the focus would be on Afghanistan, although he still wanted plans for Iraq should the country take some action or the administration eventually determine that it had been involved in the 9/11 attacks.70

I suppose an Irratio would construe this to mean that Bush blocked the progress towards an Iraqi democracy for quite a long time--to 3/20/2003.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 08:15 pm
revel wrote:
Ican, I just don’t have all the faith that you do in General Franks. To me he seemed to have wanted to go to Iraq for a long time and so anything he says should take that into consideration. I rely more on the bi-partisan 9/11 report.

I cannot provide any evidence that either of these two sources cannot be trusted.

http://www.gpoaccess.gov/911/
revel wrote:

[Taken from: 10.3 “PHASE TWO”AND THE QUESTION OF IRAQ of 9/11 report. ]

Quote:
To protect his own ties with Iraq,Turabi reportedly brokered an agreement that Bin Ladin would stop supporting activities against Saddam. Bin Ladin apparently honored this pledge, at least for a time, although he continued to aid a group of Islamist extremists operating in part of Iraq (Kurdistan) outside of Baghdad’s control. In the late 1990s, these extremist groups suffered major defeats by Kurdish forces.

In 2001, with Bin Ladin’s help they re-formed into an organization called Ansar al Islam. There are indications that by then the Iraqi regime tolerated and may even have helped Ansar al Islam against the common Kurdish enemy.54

personal admission: There was not an immiment threat, but I will agree that it was a threat that bore watching.

As you may recall from earlier posts of mine, I interpret the phrase outside of Baghdad’s control to mean only that Baghdad chose not to attempt to gain control in order to satisfy the US's request to extradite the leaders of al Qaeda in northern Iraq.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 08:23 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
General Franks is of the same ilk as this administrattion, they don't make any mistakes. We are all safe in their hands while they institutionalize religion (and their beliefs) in our country.

Wrong again! Read Franks book for your self. Frank candidly reports multiple mistakes of his made both before and during his military career.

What evidence do you have that anyone wants Congress to establish a religion? I have not encountered any such evidence.

I think you are again simply repeating the Irratio's liturgy.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 08:26 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
It's also interesting to note that Bush flew back from Texas to sign legislation to try to keep Terri Schiavo alive by artificial means, while denying our veterans health care. If he would put as much effort for our veterans, his attempts to help Terri would make sense. Otherwise, it's simply hypocrisy.

This is simply more from the Irratio's liturgy.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 08:36 pm
It's irrational to people like you because you'll "never get it." You won't understand this, but many of us support our troops after they are wounded in war, and return home. We expect our government to meet their needs 100 percent; not keep cutting the budget to reduce their care. Many of our vets are ignored, and many now live on the streets of this country. That's a shame.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 09:15 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
It's irrational to people like you because you'll "never get it." You won't understand this, but many of us support our troops after they are wounded in war, and return home. We expect our government to meet their needs 100 percent; not keep cutting the budget to reduce their care. Many of our vets are ignored, and many now live on the streets of this country. That's a shame.

If this were actually true it surely would be a shame. It would be a horror that has to be fixed "immediately if not sooner," if wounded veterans are actually not provided the medical care they require.

The problem, CI, is that you have too frequently shown yourself to be a source of falsity. When asked to provide evidence to support your allegations you generally respond, not with an answer, but with a question--a favorite trick of the sophists.

This time answer the question. Post whatever evidence you have that your allegation is true?

Leaving us with your multitude of allegations without any evidence to support them, leaves us with nothing more than your Irratio Liturgy.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 09:54 pm
Here's one on veteran's benefit cuts.

http://rdu.news14.com/content/headlines/?ArID=26534&SecID=2

Vets rally against benefit cuts
3/31/2003 1:37 PM
By: Katie Marzullo & Web Staff

Soldiers fighting the war with Iraq are tomorrow's veterans and several congressmen from North Carolina and vets are working to ensure certain benefits are waiting for them when they come home.

The House recently passed a budget cutting billions in veteran programs.

Even with a distinguished military career, Ken Tigges relies on a career in business for his benefits.

"Medical care for me has been okay because I did work for a large corporation here in town for 18 years after I retired so I have insurance there," Tigges said.

Not all vets are so lucky. Patricia Harris is a disabled veteran of the first Persian Gulf War.

"I have been diagnosed with combat related PTSD," Harris said. "PTSD stands for post traumatic stress disorder."

Both Tigges and Harris join Democratic Congressmen Bob Etheridge, David Price and Brad Miller in an effort to preserve veteran benefits. The House recently passed a budget cutting $28 billion out of those benefits.

"Congressman Price, Congressman Etheridge and I voted against the cuts by voting for the alternative budget," Miller said.

Veterans like Harris argue the cuts will contribute to a greater problem.

"Say it isn't so," Harris said. "That we as a state and a nation continue to see some of our finest, well-trained service members become part of the homeless population on our streets because of budgets cuts to the very programs needed to get them off the streets."

Tigges worries the cuts will send the wrong message to the troops overseas.

"If they see that their benefits have been eroded over the years and now are being eroded more with the budget cuts, what's to entice these young men to go into the service and to support our country and protect our country and that's what it's all about," Tigges said.

The proposed budget still has to go before the Senate for a vote. It passed in the House by just three votes.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 09:55 pm
Another.

Bush Thanks Veterans,
Then Cuts Their Health Care
The Daily Mis-Lead
6-2-4

President Bush spent the Memorial Day weekend thanking the nation's veterans for their service, saying "we acknowledge the debt [we owe them] by showing our respect and gratitude."[1] Yet, his rhetoric came just hours after the Bush Administration announced new plans to slash veterans health care funding if it returns to power in 2005.

Late last week, the Administration released a memo detailing a plan to cut $1 billion from the Veterans Administration[2] in the first budget of its second term. The cut would come even after the White House has tried to close veterans hospitals throughout the country,[3] and has proposed veterans health care budgets that have been criticized by veterans groups and the President's own Veterans Affairs secretary.[4] It also comes after the president decided to cut off 164,000 veterans from their existing prescription drug coverage,[5] and threatened to veto[6] any bill that would allow veterans to receive both the military pension they were promised, and any disability compensation to which they are entitled.

Sources:
1. Presidential Weekly Radio Address Speech,
WhiteHouse.gov, 05/29/04.
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/05/20040529.html
2. "Democrats rip Bush's outline for cuts in domestic
programs," Palm Beach Post, 5/28/04.
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/auto/epaper/editions/
today/news_046b8a51b0d3412100f5.html
3. "VA Seeks Major Hospital Overhaul," CBS News,
8/05/03.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/08/05/health/main566686.shtml
4. "President Bush's Veterans' Budget Called Woefully
Inadequate and Inexcusable," Senate Democratic Policy
Committee, 2/12/04.
http://democrats.senate.gov/dpc/dpc-doc.cfm?doc_name=fs-108-2-39
5. "VA Cuts Some Veterans' Access to Health Care,"
Washington Post, 1/17/03.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A4064-2003Jan16
6. "Bush Threatens Veto of Defense Bill," Washington
Post, 10/7/02, p.A02.

http://www.misleader.org/daily_mislead/Read.asp?fn=df06012004.html
http://messenger.yahoo.com/
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 09:58 pm
And another.

McNulty opposes cuts to vets' health care
By: Robert Cristo, The Record02/08/2005
Email to a friend Voice your opinion Printer-friendly

At a time when the nation's leaders are asking troops to risk their lives overseas, many are wondering why President Bush is looking to cut health care payments for veterans.

After warning during his State of the Union address last week that he would make drastic spending cuts to nearly 150 federal programs, more specifics were revealed Monday in his $2.57 trillion budget for 2006 that increases military spending but asks some veterans to double their co-pay for prescription drugs.
The proposal, which is expected to draw heavy fire in Congress, would also require some veterans to pay a $250 annual fee for their federally delivered health care.
After attending a morning ceremony honoring three wounded local Army National Guardsmen at the state Division of Military and Naval Affairs in Latham, Rep. Michael McNulty, D-Green Island, called the proposal an "outrageous" slight to veterans who fought for their country.
"I just came from a Purple Heart ceremony for three injured soldiers. ... The last thing I want to see happen is cuts in services for these or any other soldiers," said McNulty. "I vehemently disagree with the way he's (Bush) going with the budget, and I hope even old-line conservatives will also disagree."
McNulty also contends that Bush shouldn't be cutting back veterans' benefits or programs for the poor at the same time he's doling out tax cuts that mostly benefit the wealthy and seeks to borrow $2 trillion to fund his plan to privatize a chunk of Social Security.
All of this, McNulty contends, only exacerbates the ballooning $7.6 trillion national debt.
Local veterans said they were offended by the proposed cuts they believe come at an expense to those who were injured in the defense of liberty.
"I just heard a little about it, and I think it's absolutely terrible that in this time of conflict Bush could have the gall to propose cutting benefits," said Korean War veteran Edward Hurley, 73, who is also the Albany County Veterans Service Bureau director.
"Tax cuts shouldn't come at the expense of vets who fought and then have to come back here to find they can't receive adequate care," he added.
Hurley is hopeful that Bush's proposal will be met with heavy resistance in Washington over the next few months.
"I'm pretty confident that Congress will step up and take care of our vets, so I'm fairly confident this won't fly" said Hurley.
However, McNulty warns that the Bush administration has gotten through hikes on prescription co-pay charges before and has looked to make cuts to funding for veteran's hospitals.
"I certainly hope it gets squashed, but (Bush has) been able to erode some benefits, so I can't confidently say it won't happen again," said McNulty. "People need to take this seriously and fight for those benefits."
Representatives from the Stratton VA Medical Center on Holland Avenue in Albany did not return calls to discuss how the proposed plan could affect patients and/or hospital care.
The Washington-based Department of Veteran's Affairs issued a press release Monday that fully supported Bush's "record" $70.8 billion proposal that "overwhelmingly" targets support for health care and disability compensation."
"This budget demonstrates the president's ongoing commitment to provide the very best health care and benefits to those veterans who count on VA the most," said Secretary of Veterans Affairs Jim Nicholson, in a release.
VA officials also wanted to point out that the cuts would only impact "higher income" veterans and those being treated for non-military related injuries or ailments.
In addition to the cuts, the president's plan also includes:
ä Ending all co-pays for former prisoners of war.
ä Allowing more resources to be devoted to homeless providers and per diem programs.
ä Authorizing VA to pay for emergency care of urgent care for enrolled veterans in non-VA medical facilities.
ä Ending all co-payments for hospice care.
ä $90 million earmarked for construction projects.
The VA is expecting to provide medical services to more than 5.2 million patients in 2006.
For more information, go to the Veterans Affairs website at www.va.gov/ and click FY2006 Budget Proposal.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 10:01 pm
Oh, look, president Bush cut funds to care for our children too.

Bush Takes Back Monies For Children's Health Care
What a pig!

In his convention address in New York, President Bush announced a new $1 billion initiative to enroll "millions of poor children" in two popular government health programs. But next week, the Bush administration plans to return $1.1 billion in unspent children's health funds to the U.S. Treasury, making his convention promise a financial wash at best.

The loss of $1.1 billion in federal money means six states participating in the State Children's Health Insurance Program face budget shortfalls in 2005; it is enough money to provide health coverage for 750,000 uninsured youngsters nationwide, according to two new analyses by advocacy organizations.

I am so sick over this. He pushes a program, Covering Kids and Families, which does the EXACT OPPOSITE (like so many of his other programs) of it's name. What a ******* pig, someone should roast him in a pit.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 10:08 pm
One more on veteran's health care cuts.

Bush Lies About Veteran's Health Care

Bush's 1 June 2004 Lie
Bush Thanks Veterans, Then Cuts Their Health Care

President Bush spent the Memorial Day weekend thanking the nation's veterans for their service, saying "we acknowledge the debt [we owe them] by showing our respect and gratitude."1 Yet, his rhetoric came just hours after the Bush Administration announced new plans to slash veterans health care funding if it returns to power in 2005.

A few days after thanking veterans for their service, the Administration released a memo detailing a plan to cut $1 billion from the Veterans Administration2 in the first budget of its second term. The cut would come even after the White House has tried to close veterans hospitals throughout the country,3 and has proposed veterans health care budgets that have been criticized by veterans groups and the President's own Veterans Affairs secretary.4 It also comes after the president decided to cut off 164,000 veterans from their existing prescription drug coverage,5 and threatened to veto6 any bill that would allow veterans to receive both the military pension they were promised, and any disability compensation to which they are entitled.

Sources:
Presidential Weekly Radio Address Speech, WhiteHouse.gov, 05/29/04.
"Democrats rip Bush's outline for cuts in domestic programs," Palm Beach Post, 5/28/04.
"VA Seeks Major Hospital Overhaul," CBS News, 8/05/03.
"President Bush's Veterans' Budget Called Woefully Inadequate and Inexcusable," Senate Democratic Policy Committee, 2/12/04.
"VA Cuts Some Veterans' Access to Health Care," Washington Post, 1/17/03.
"Bush Threatens Veto of Defense Bill," Washington Post, 10/7/02, p.A02.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 10:13 pm
ican, I think when you question my opinion, be ready to make yourself look a fool and ignorant. I'm game as much as you are. You're an easy target. You see, when I make mistakes, or somebody points it out to me, I'm the first to admit it and apologize. I don't willy-nilly make claims without having heard or read it myself. Once in awhile, I have misheard or misinterpreted what I heard, but those are easy to correct. If I notice my mistakes first, I take the time to post them quickly to admit my mistake.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 07:15 am
Quote:
Sat 26 Mar 2005

US probe unveils new Iraq jail abuse claims

ALAN MCEWEN

A US Army investigation found systematic abuse and possible torture of Iraqi prisoners at a base near the city of Mosul, just as top military officials became aware of abuse allegations at Abu Ghraib, newly-released documents show.

Records previously released by the army have detailed abuses at Abu Ghraib, outside Baghdad, and other sites in Iraq, as well as at sites in Afghanistan and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

The new documents, released last night, were the first to reveal abuses at the jail in Mosul and are among the few to allege torture directly.

An officer found that detainees "were being systematically and intentionally mistreated" at the holding facility in December 2003. The 311th Military Intelligence Battalion of the army's 101st Airborne Division ran the lockup.

"There is evidence that suggests the 311th MI personnel and/or translators engaged in physical torture of the detainees," a memo from the investigator said. The January 2004 report said the prisoners' rights under the Geneva Conventions were violated.

The military became aware of the Abu Ghraib abuses in January 2004, when pictures were turned over to investigators. The resulting uproar after the pictures became public tarnished the military's image worldwide and sparked investigations of detainee abuses.

The records about the Mosul jail were part of more than 1200 pages of documents referring to allegations of prisoner abuse. The army released the records to reporters and to the American Civil Liberties Union, which had filed a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit.

"They show the torture and abuse of detainees was routine, and such treatment was considered an acceptable practice by US forces," ACLU lawyer Amrit Singh said.

Guards at the detention facility near Mosul came from at least three infantry units of the 101st Airborne, including an air-defence artillery unit. The investigating officer, whose name was blacked out of the documents, said the troops were poorly trained and were encouraged to abuse prisoners.

According to the report, the abuse included:

• Forcing detainees to perform exercises such as deep knee bends for hours on end, to the point of exhaustion;

• Blowing cigarette smoke into the sandbags the prisoners were forced to wear as hoods;

• Throwing cold water on prisoners in a room that was between 40 degrees (4.4 Celsius) and 50 degrees (ten Celsius);

• Blasting the detainees with heavy-metal music, yelling at them and banging on doors and ammunition cans.

No-one was punished for the abuses, because the investigating officer said there was insufficient proof against any individual. The report did not say what actions might have amounted to torture or the individuals who might have committed them. The investigator ruled that troops were responsible for the broken jaw of a 20-year-old detainee who had been rounded up with his father, a suspected member of the Fedayeen Saddam guerrilla group.

The records also contained details of other abuse investigations. In one, soldiers admitted they had rounded up suspected looters near Baghdad in the summer of 2003, stripped them naked and told them to walk home.

The staff sergeant in charge of that unit said he knew what he did was wrong, but he wanted to humiliate the looters so much they would never return.

The sergeant was given an "other than honourable" discharge, and two other soldiers involved in the stripping incident were given letters of reprimand, said army spokesman Col Jeremy Martin.

In another incident, soldiers from a Howitzer battery beat three detainees in September 2003. Col Martin said all four received non-judicial punishment, which can include letters of reprimand, fines or reductions in rank.

The soldiers said they were angered by what the detainees had done. One prisoner had shot at US soldiers while hiding behind a group of children, they claimed, and another was accused of forging passports for possible terrorists.

"I think any American and soldier would have acted as I did," a soldier wrote in a statement.
source
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 07:41 am
Surely no citizen of France, Germany, Russia, the UK, Spain, Japan or Italy will claim that their soldiers did not do far worse during their 20th century colonial and other wars, and on a much larger scale, and generally with far less voluntary government action to report and try the perpetrators.

Much of what is reported here is either benign or at least understandable. Stripping looters naked and releasing them during the chaos early after Saddam's fall is hardly torture. Violence to enemy soldiers who use particularly despicable tactics immediately after capture is a regrettable, but common feature of war everywhere. The truly serious cases are being reported, investigated and tried by our military authorities - and far more systematically than was done by the French after their Algerian war, or the Germans or Russians after WWII.

This is no defense to be sure. But the hypocrisy of some here becomes eventually tiresome.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 07:46 am
georgeob1 wrote:
Surely no citizen of France, Germany, Russia, the UK, Spain, Japan or Italy will claim that their soldiers did not do far worse during their 20th century colonial and other wars, and on a much larger scale, and generally with far less voluntary government action to report and try the perpetrators.

Neither did I think that Iraq was an American colony nor did I remember that the above mentioned countries had had colonies within the last dozens of years (or led wars of such notable publicity over such a long period).

"I think any American and soldier would have acted as I did."
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 08:01 am
The operative phrase in your transparent excuse, Walter, is "dozens of years" - quite a convenient, if arbitrary choice. Change that to 60 and you get a different conclusion - with respect to all the countries listed. I also note that your post was based on a report voluntarily issued by the U.S. government.

Iraq is indeed not an American colony in the sense that Algeria or Vietnam were french colonies.

The supposed virtue of Europeans over the last "dozens of years" is a mixture of illusion (consider the Ivory Coast, or the paralysis during the slaughter in Bosnia) and tha lack of ability or opportunity. Not at all the same thing as virtue, and it is gross - and offensive - hypocrisy to imply otherwise.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 08:37 am
Key word above being EXCUSE. Or perhaps it is HYPOCRISY. Of course, if george were to say that the US is just as ugly, deceitful, self-interested and suffering from Hypocro-excusia as them other nations, well that would be fine.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 09:09 am
No Blatham, the truth is our record demonstrates most of the errors and evils evident in the records of "them other nations", but to a far lesser degree than the worst of them and overall generally less than almost all of them..

It is also important to make the distinction between virtue and the lack of opportunity or ability for evil.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 10:53 am
How did I guess you would say that, george? It is a pretty handy way to think of things as it allows you (the US) to do anything at all (like torture) and have no moral qualms to trouble your nights. If the US done it, why then it cannot be too bad, by axiom. Move right along folks. Nothing going on here.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 10:58 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Here's one on veteran's benefit cuts.

http://rdu.news14.com/content/headlines/?ArID=26534&SecID=2

Vets rally against benefit cuts
3/31/2003 1:37 PM
By: Katie Marzullo & Web Staff

Soldiers fighting the war with Iraq are tomorrow's veterans and several congressmen from North Carolina and vets are working to ensure certain benefits are waiting for them when they come home.

The House recently passed a budget cutting billions in veteran programs.

The proposed budget still has to go before the Senate for a vote. It passed in the House by just three votes.

Thank you!

I note that this article was written 11 days after the US invaded Iraq. That's only 5 days short of 2 years ago.

I have encountered zero evidence over this almost 2 year period that this damn House-passed budget cut was actually passed by the Senate and signed by President Bush.

Can you provide some evidence that the Senate passed it and the President signed it?
0 Replies