THE US, THE UN AND THE IRAQIS THEMSELVES, V. 7.0

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 08:43 am
George asked:

"Have ANY of the many wars Britain has fought met the test of "legality" implied here?"

Yes the Falklands war. British sovereign territory which posed no theat to Argentina was invaded by Argentina.

That put international law on our side.

Just like Iraqi sovereign territory which posed no threat to Britain was invaded by Britain.

That put us on the wrong side of international law, according to a lot of people.

Whilst I accept that law officers do not make decisions on whether or not to go to war, the problem for Tony Blair is three -fold.

1. He said several times that the British government would adhere to law, domestic and international. (Of course he could never say the opposite).

2. As signatories to the ICC, participants in what Wilmshurst called "a criminal act of aggression" holds British commanders accountable under international law.

3. The new FOI act in this country makes getting hold of the truth a bit easier, and makes the government look ridiculous when it claims special reasons for holding stuff back.

Of course the whole issue of legality would be history if the war had gone as the neo cons promised. With a peaceful democratic renewed and rebuilt Iraq, no one would be bothered whether or not USUK acted legally in removing what was certainly a brutal regime.

But the fact is the war and the reconstruction of Iraq has not gone well. There was a total lack of planning and failure to anticipate the insurrection. Did no one in the US administration even think that the Ba'athist Sunnis who we originally put in place to run Iraq, might feel a little ****** off by being pushed out from their privileged position? Did no one say "Hey you know if we dont get a firm grip on this place and take proper control over the borders, then we're gonna get anti-USUK fighters from all over the place coming here to take a shot at us." ?

What infuriates me, is not actually the removal of Saddam's regime. Its that we didn't do it properly. This was going to be "invasion-lite", remember? Hopeless naivety on behalf of the neo cons has cost us dear.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 08:45 am
HOW TO GET THE UNITED STATES TO KEEP ITS INTERNATIONAL AGREEMENTS AFTER IT HAS MADE THEM BUT THEN CHANGES ITS MIND BECAUSE OF SOMETHING OR OTHER...

No easy matter, to be sure. But once again, the private sector leads the way and provides an exciting prospect for real integrity in governance.

I really should have thought of this before and I am not entirely certain why it escaped me. Probably some wishy washy ideas about private enterprises being driven by narrow selfish interest and government being something else, something more communitarian. Well, we are all wrong sometimes I suppose.

The thing of it is, see, that businesses like to keep agreements because they lose partnerships and future prospects of yippee money when they welsh (sorry to all welshmen, but you probably deserve the idiom simply through gene mixing with the Irish).

Case in point, as noted by Adam Hutton in todays AM New York, Halliburton Products and Services (cooking, tent domiciles, Cayman Islands poverty-alleviation assistance, oil-sucking, riding shotgun, pulling shotgun trigger, and much more!) set up this deal recently with Iran to held develop their oil fields. Nations who sponsor terror sometimes find it tough to get a break in this wintry world climate so even an underdog-supporting leftist might find this news cheery. And I did, in fact. Halliburton says that they will not do this again. I believe them. I mean, it is not like they are a lying government or something.

But here is the integrity point...the previously negotiated agreements will be honored. Is that not just the very defintion of honor right there?

So here is what we do. Stop with the half-way thing. Just turn over the remaining small percentage of US governance to Halliburton! All future agreements signed on to by the US will henceforth be trustworthy.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 09:32 am
You're certainly aware, George, that this "legality" was different ... let's say 66 years ago and earlier.

Furtheron you aske, if I "the long history of the Western World have the "chief legal officers" of any country ever been the deciding factor in a decision to go to war".

I don't know, it certainly depends on the various constitutions and laws, which regulate such differently in different countries.

However, even if this never happened in other countries, no-one asked the UK not to do so .... before!!!
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 10:28 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Try to figure out who our allies were before this admininstration, and you'll find the answer.
Laughing
Did you forget that you made the allegation, not me?
cicerone imposter wrote:
The jerks of the current administration gives our country a bad name; and it's gonna take years before our allies trust us - if ever.

I want to know what you think the answer is. I already know what I think the answer is.

Who do you think were our allies before this administration?
Of these, who do you think trusted us before this administration?

Who do you think are our allies now?
Of these, who do you think trust us now?
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 10:44 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
RexRed said
"The war against Saddam was self defense."

We were told this sure. But it wasnt really. I remember the London Evening Standard publishing little diagrams showing how Saddam's missiles could hit British bases in Cyprus. But he had none. And he had no wmd either. He certainly could not strike at USA.

In defense of self-defense:
Quote:
President Bush announced to the nation,Tuesday night, 9/11/2001, and to the nation, to Congress and to the rest of the world, Thursday night, 9/20/2001, that our war was not only with the terrorists who have declared war on us, it is also with those governments that “harbor” or “support” terrorists.

At that time there were terrorist training bases in both Afghanistan and Iraq. The terrorist training bases in Iraq were re-established in 2001 after the Kurds had defeated them a couple of years earlier.

We invaded Afghanistan in October 2001 without obtaining UN approval and removed Afghanistan's tyrannical government, because that government refused to attempt to remove the terrorist bases from Afghanistan.

We invaded Iraq in March 2003 without obtaining UN approval and removed Iraq's tyrannical government, because that government in Iraq refused to attempt to remove the terrorist bases from Iraq.

We are attempting to secure a democratic government of the Afghanistanis own design in Afghanistan primarily because we believe such a government is less likely to permit the re-establishment of terrorist bases there.

We are attempting to secure a democratic government of the Iraqis own design in Iraq primarily because we believe such a government is less likely to permit the re-establishent of terrorist bases there.

I think that only after that enormously difficult work is completed successfully, should we consider invasion and removal of any other tyrannical governments that refuse to attempt to remove terrorist bases from their countries.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 11:04 am
Bull.

9/11 is not a reason to invade and take over sovreign countries. It cannot be. The merits of an action must stand upon their own.

ANd this

Quote:
We are attempting to secure a democratic government of the Iraqis own design in Iraq primarily because we believe such a government is less likely to permit the re-establishent of terrorist bases there.

Ican, how many times must we bring up the fact that the US intended no such thing at all for Iraq? That the original plan said nothing about putting a democracy in there? How can you claim that this was the plan all along when there is substantial evidence that it was not?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 11:41 am
My additional coments to those I made in blue, are in green. Your comments, Revel, are in black and red.

revel wrote:
ican711nm wrote:
My comments are in blue. I infer from your comments below that you have changed your mind and have decided to participate in one more round of discussion with me. If so, I'm happy to oblige.

revel wrote:
Skipping the argument that the slight AQ in Iraq was a growing threat, a growing threat is not an imminent threat.

I agree that "a growing threat is not an imminent threat."

However, one cannot prove in advance that a threat is imminent; one can only provide evidence that a threat is growing. We had a growing pile of evidence that what eventually happened on 9/11/2001 was a growing threat. We had zero evidence that it was an imminent threat until after it happened. Even the case of an armed man yelling threats to kill you is but a growing threat. Only after he whips out his pistol and shoots you can you in retrospect prove his yelling was an imminent threat. Of course, by the time you are shot, it's too late to do anything about his imminent threat, because it has already been executed.

We didn't have zero evidence that what happened on 9/11 was an [imminent] threat. If you go back and read more parts of the 9/11 report it is evident that we had warning that something was gearing up to happen. The mention of people using planes was even mentioned. However none of was what they termed actionable intelligence; however we should have been more on the alert and if the administration was more tuned in with something other than Iraq maybe we could have at least been more prepared.
My additional comments are in green. Correction made and boldface emphasis added in your preceding paragraph by me.

Clearly, the time to stop a growing threat from becoming an imminent threat is before the threat grows into an imminent threat.

I take it from your above statement that you believe in preemptive wars. I disagree. There were steps already being taken which should have been allowed to have been played out before we lost so many lives and untold amount of lives on Iraqs side.

I disagree that a couple of hundred AQ terrorist in Iraq who are training to kill Americans whereever they can be found is "slight AQ in Iraq." I recall that each airliner high jacked on 9/11/2001 was highjacked by 4 or 5 AQ terrorists whose principal weapons were box cutters. Also, there exists persuasive evidence that one suicidal AQ terrorist who sets off a bomb strapped to him or her in a crowd has killed more than a dozen civilians and/or military. Also one roadside bomb planted by two AQ terrorists and triggered via a remote cell phone by one AQ terrorists has kill more than a dozen civilians and/or military.

I don't believe it was the case that a hundred AQ were in Iraq training to kill Americans. I don't think it has been proved. Before the war the one AQ camp was very small and mostly was concerned with Saddam Hussien and the secular way of doing things in Iraq.

Neither of us were there to witness the truth personally. My principal evidence about the camps of al Qaeda in northern Iraq come from General Frank's book.
Quote:
"American Soldier", by General Tommy Franks; Published 7/1/2004 by HarperCollins Publishers, Inc.; (hardcover); my boldface emphasis added

Chapter 10, page 427--As the secretary spoke, I thought: This is a powerful presentation; there is no way we can leave the fate of our children and grandchildren to chance To do so would be a mistake—of grave proportions.

Chapter 12, page 483—The Air Picture changed once more. Now the icons were streaming toward two ridges and a steep valley in far northeastern Iraq, right on the border with Iran. These were the camps of the Ansar al-Islam terrorists, where al Qaeda leader Abu Musab Zarqawi had trained disciples in the use of chemical and biological weapons. But this strike was more than just another TLAM [Tomahawk Land Attack Missle] bashing. Soon Special Forces and SMU [Special Mission Unit] operators leading Kurdish Peshmerga fighters, would be storming the camps, collecting evidence, taking prisoners, and killing all those who resisted.

Chapter 12, page 519—And they had also encountered several hundred foreign fighters from Egypt, the Sudan, Syria, and Libya who were being trained by the regime in a camp south of Baghdad. These foreign volunteers fought with suicidal ferocity, but they did not fight well. The Marines killed them all.

Chapter 12, page 522—This whole country is one big weapons dump, I thought. There must be thousands of ammo storage sites. It will take years to clear them all.

Chapter 12, page 532—We knew that pockets of Baathists and jihadists would make trouble for the Coalition—and the Iraqis—every step of the way. Jerry Bremer would “fight through the problem,” as we used to say in Midland.

Chapter Epilogue, page 541—Many of the violent young men on Iraq’s streets and highways—planting mines and booby traps, firing RPGs at truck convoys, dropping morttar rounds into police stations, driving suicide car bombs, assassinating clerics and aid workers—are leftover Baathists who already had blood on their hands and face a grim future in a free Iraq.

Chapter Epilogue, page 562—Colin Powell said recently that he was disappointed that some of the intelligence on Iraq’s WMD program was “inaccurate and wrong and in some cases deliberately misleading.” That of course is the nature of human intelligence. The issue is not whether the source of human intelligence was telling the truth, but whether George Tenet, Colin Powell, and President George W. Bush believed that the information was true. I believe they did. I know I did. And I do not regret my role in disarming Iraq and removing its Baathist regime.

Additional evidence was provided by the 9-11 Commission Report, Chapter 2.4; boldface emphasis added by me.

www.9-11commission.gov/report/index.htm
Quote:
Bin Ladin seemed willing to include in the confederation terrorists from almost every corner of the Muslim world. His vision mirrored that of Sudan's Islamist leader, Turabi, who convened a series of meetings under the label Popular Arab and Islamic Conference around the time of Bin Ladin's arrival in that country. Delegations of violent Islamist extremists came from all the groups represented in Bin Ladin's Islamic Army Shura. Representatives also came from organizations such as the Palestine Liberation Organization, Hamas, and Hezbollah.51

Turabi sought to persuade Shiites and Sunnis to put aside their divisions and join against the common enemy. In late 1991 or 1992, discussions in Sudan between al Qaeda and Iranian operatives led to an informal agreement to cooperate in providing support-even if only training-for actions carried out primarily against Israel and the United States.
To protect his own ties with Iraq, Turabi reportedly brokered an agreement that Bin Ladin would stop supporting activities against Saddam. Bin Ladin apparently honored this pledge, at least for a time, although he continued to aid a group of Islamist extremists operating in part of Iraq (Kurdistan) outside of Baghdad's control. In the late 1990s, these extremist groups suffered major defeats by Kurdish forces. In 2001, with Bin Ladin's help they re-formed into an organization called Ansar al Islam. There are indications that by then the Iraqi regime tolerated and may even have helped Ansar al Islam against the common Kurdish enemy.54

I agree that one AQ or another terrorist group or person could do a lot of damage and kill a lot of people. However there are terrorist all over the world and the one camp that was in Iraq was out of the control of Saddam Hussien.

There was nothing that was imminent that a delay would have hurt. With a delay all the concerns could have been talked about among parties much like issues that we still face today are talked about among the parties involved, like the North Korea issue and now the China issue and any number of security issues that have come up.

Neither you or I know that a delay in our invasion of Iraq would or would not hurt. We do know that some of the AQ that had successfully escaped our Afghanistan invasion (October 2001) subsequently fled to the AQ bases in northern Iraq before we invaded Iraq (March 2003). It was not unreasonable to expect the population of those AQ Iraq bases to continue to increase. How much of an increase would "hurt"? Rolling Eyes

I don't know if it was true or not if some AQ fled into Iraq. I am sure they fled all over the place into the middle east region and even some staying right there in those hills in Afghanistan.

Since the inspections stopped in Iraq the world’s attention was not centered on Iraq despite the no fly zones occurrences and the occasional bombings by Clinton. I will agree that with the lead up to the war it got the world centered on the issues of Iraq. Powell going to UN got the world centered on Iraq even though he used evidence that was in dispute at the time. But since the world was centered on Iraq and the inspections were on going and reports were being made, there was an avenue in which any concerns such as even the oil for food aspect and the slight AQ presence in Iraq could have been brought up and discussed among nations and leaders.

I disagree that more discussion of AQ based in Iraq would have solved the problem of AQ based in Iraq, anymore than more discussion of AQ based in Afghanistan would have solved the problem of AQ based in Afghanistan. We now know that the two countries, France and Russia, that possessed UN Security Council veto power, had a major vested interest in keeping Saddam's regime in power. In fact both contributed to the build up of the over a thousand weapons and munitions (i.e., military ordnance) sites found in Iraq after our invasion. Surely it's reasonable to expect that a significant part of this ordnance would have eventually found its way into AQ hands and used against Americans and many others. AQ has been using this ordnance in Iraq since our invasion, but fortunately the AQ have been too busy in Iraq to have yet become an imminent threat with that ordnance in the US. In fact, worldwide AQ terrorist attacks have decreased since our invasion of Iraq.

I don't believe that France and Russia were only going to veto because of some oil for food thing. In any case there were other countries who were against the war who didn't have any alleged interest in the oil for food scandal.

You are correct! They were also going to veto because Saddam owed them plus Germany billions of dollars for ordnance Saddam had purchased from them.

We should have allowed the inspections to continue and we should have made our case without stretches of the truth.

There are others here who have brought up other reasons why the war in Iraq could not have waited another minute. The only one for me that has the slightest merit is the humane situation that was going on in Iraq. However, that situation was in no way so unique that it outstripped all other concerns in the world.

IMO two good things have come out of the Iraq war despite all Bush’s and the leaders of military starting from Rumsfeld on down bungles and outright IMO criminal behavior with regard to abuse of detainees was the removal of Saddam Hussein and people getting a chance to decide on their own future through the elections.

But the way that they set up the elections in my opinion was corrupt because it denied a full democracy for those who risked their lives to vote.

I am hopeful though that soon through the efforts of Iraqis themselves who are fight the insurgents since they now have a something to fight for and through the renewed efforts of the coalition to fight the insurgents that maybe in the end it will turn out to have been worth it all.

I don’t hate George Bush and administration so much that I wish for a million people to live in bloodshed and misery for all time in order to prove what a disaster the Iraq was. Personally I have long held a direct and personal insult for those implications and presumptuous assumptions.

My concerns about you (as well as many others in the US) do not relate to my perceptions of your (or their) feelings about Bush and his administration. My concerns relate to what appears to me to be your and (their) excessive focus on Bush and his administration's errors and bungles and blunders, and too little focus on the real nature of the growing threat of AQ to Americans and others, since AQ's inception in August 1988 from its original Afghan jihad against the Russians, and its subsequent rapid growth ever since (not just after our invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq).

Sure Bush senior and Clinton and Bush junior screwed up. American presidents always have and probably always will. But that doesn't change one iota the fact that we damn well better face the reality of what can happen to us if we focus only on the AQ, and not on the governments that provide them sanctuary, .... and what we should do about both to make AQ a reducing threat and not a re-continuing increasing threat.

I focus on Bush because he and administration are/were presently in charge.

I focus on what is actually accomplished or failed to be accomplished in Iraq and Afghanistan. Then I decide who to praise or vilify.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:33 pm
ican711nm wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
RexRed said
"The war against Saddam was self defense."

We were told this sure. But it wasnt really. I remember the London Evening Standard publishing little diagrams showing how Saddam's missiles could hit British bases in Cyprus. But he had none. And he had no wmd either. He certainly could not strike at USA.

In defense of self-defense:
Quote:
President Bush announced to the nation,Tuesday night, 9/11/2001, and to the nation, to Congress and to the rest of the world, Thursday night, 9/20/2001, that our war was not only with the terrorists who have declared war on us, it is also with those governments that "harbor" or "support" terrorists.

At that time there were terrorist training bases in both Afghanistan and Iraq. The terrorist training bases in Iraq were re-established in 2001 after the Kurds had defeated them a couple of years earlier.

We invaded Afghanistan in October 2001 without obtaining UN approval and removed Afghanistan's tyrannical government, because that government refused to attempt to remove the terrorist bases from Afghanistan.

We invaded Iraq in March 2003 without obtaining UN approval and removed Iraq's tyrannical government, because that government in Iraq refused to attempt to remove the terrorist bases from Iraq.

We are attempting to secure a democratic government of the Afghanistanis own design in Afghanistan primarily because we believe such a government is less likely to permit the re-establishment of terrorist bases there.

I think that only after that enormously difficult work is completed successfully, should we consider invasion and removal of any other tyrannical governments that refuse to attempt to remove terrorist bases from their countries.

ditto
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:44 pm
Yea we should have listened to the democrats! The Taliban would still be in power... Bin Laden's training camps pre war would have doubled by now world wide and maybe a European countries would be in control of Al Qaeda by now... (other than Spain)

Saddam would by now have bribed the entire UN and have them in his back pocket along with several nuclear bombs... (sound fun?) Libya and Pakistan would be planning a nuclear attack on US soil... The democrats know what they are talking about... (sarcasm)

Bull!
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:55 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Ican, how many times must we bring up the fact that the US intended no such thing at all for Iraq? That the original plan said nothing about putting a democracy in there? How can you claim that this was the plan all along when there is substantial evidence that it was not? Cycloptichorn

You must bring up your alleged "fact that the original plan said nothing about putting a democracy in there" as any times as it takes for you to realize your alleged fact is a falsity. Our original plan did in fact say something "about putting a democracy" into Iraq.

www.9-11commission.gov/report/index.htm
Chapter 10.3, Note 83; boldface emphasis added by me:
Quote:
Having issued directives to guide his administration's preparations for war, on Thursday, September 20, President Bush addressed the nation before a joint session of Congress. "Tonight," he said, "we are a country awakened to danger."80 ... The President added that America's quarrel was not with Islam: "The enemy of America is not our many Muslim friends; it is not our many Arab friends. Our enemy is a radical network of terrorists, and every government that supports them." Other regimes faced hard choices, he pointed out: "Every nation, in every region, now has a decision to make: Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists."83

"American Soldier", by General Tommy Franks; Published 7/1/2004 by HarperCollins Publishers, Inc.; (hardcover); my boldface emphasis added:

Quote:
Chapter 10, page 421--Congress passed, and President Clinton signed, the Iraq Liberation Act of 1998. This legislation declared that it would be the "policy of the United States to seek to remove the Saddam Hussein regime from power in Iraq and to replace it with a democratic government."

Chapter 11, page 433—We finally had a name for our plan: The Hybrid 1003V OPLAN had officially been dubbed Operation Iraqi Freedom. It was the President’s decision, and I liked it. The goal of this plan was not conquest, not oil, but freedom for twenty-six million Iraqis. ...
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 12:55 pm
Ican, I just don't have all the faith that you do in General Franks. To me he seemed to have wanted to go to Iraq for a long time and so anything he says should take that into consideration. I rely more on the bi-partisan 9/11 report.

http://www.gpoaccess.gov/911/

[Taken from: 10.3 "PHASE TWO"AND THE QUESTION OF IRAQ of 9/11 report. ]

General Tommy Franks, the commanding general of Central Command, recalled receiving Rumsfeld's guidance that each regional commander should assess what these plans meant for his area of responsibility. He knew he would soon be striking the Taliban and al Qaeda in Afghanistan. But, he told us, he now wondered how that action was connected to what might need to be done in Somalia,Yemen, or Iraq.77

On September 20, President Bush met with British Prime Minister Tony Blair,and the two leaders discussed the global conflict ahead.When Blair asked about Iraq, the President replied that Iraq was not the immediate problem. Some members of his administration, he commented, had expressed a different view, but he was the one responsible for making the decisions.78

Franks told us that he was pushing independently to do more robust planning on military responses in Iraq during the summer before 9/11Taken from THE FOUNDATION OF THE NEW TERRORISM of the 9/11 report. outside of Baghdad's control. In the late 1990s, these extremist groups suffered major defeats by Kurdish forces.

In 2001, with Bin Ladin's help they re-formed into an organization called Ansar al Islam.There are indications that by then the Iraqi regime tolerated and may even have helped Ansar al Islam against the common Kurdish enemy.54

With the Sudanese regime acting as intermediary, Bin Ladin himself met with a senior Iraqi intelligence officer in Khartoum in late 1994 or early 1995. Bin Ladin is said to have asked for space to establish training camps, as well as assistance in procuring weapons, but there is no evidence that Iraq responded to this request.55

As described below,the ensuing years saw additional efforts to establish connections.

There is also evidence that around this time Bin Ladin sent out a number of feelers to the Iraqi regime, offering some cooperation. None are reported to have received a significant response.According to one report,Saddam Hussein's efforts at this time to rebuild relations with the Saudis and other Middle Eastern regimes led him to stay clear of Bin Ladin.74

In mid-1998,the situation reversed;it was Iraq that reportedly took the initiative.In March 1998,after Bin Ladin's public fatwa against the United States, two al Qaeda members reportedly went to Iraq to meet with Iraqi intelligence. In July, an Iraqi delegation traveled to Afghanistan to meet first with the Taliban and then with Bin Ladin. Sources reported that one, or perhaps both, of these meetings was apparently arranged through Bin Ladin's Egyptian deputy, Zawahiri, who had ties of his own to the Iraqis.

In 1998, Iraq was under intensifying U.S. pressure, which culminated in a series of large air attacks in December.75

Similar meetings between Iraqi officials and Bin Ladin or his aides may have occurred in 1999 during a period of some reported strains with the Taliban. According to the reporting,Iraqi officials offered Bin Ladin a safe haven in Iraq. Bin Ladin declined, apparently judging that his circumstances in Afghanistan remained more favorable than the Iraqi alternative. The reports describe friendly contacts and indicate some common themes in both sides' hatred of the United States. But to date we have seen no evidence that these or the earlier contacts ever developed into a collaborative operational relationship. Nor have we seen evidence indicating that Iraq cooperated with al Qaeda in developing or carrying out any attacks against the United States.76

personal admission: There was not an immiment threat, but I will agree that it was a threat that bore watching.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 01:00 pm
Ican

Nothing you quoted or wrote addresses the very real fact that Bush blocked the progress towards an Iraqi democracy for quite a long time. Do you really need me to post a timeline of the ACTUAL events which took place in Iraq in 2003-04 that lead to the elections actually taking place?\

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 01:08 pm
It's also interesting to note that Bush flew back from Texas to sign legislation to try to keep Terri Schiavo alive by artificial means, while denying our veterans health care. If he would put as much effort for our veterans, his attempts to help Terri would make sense. Otherwise, it's simply hypocrisy.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 01:22 pm
revel wrote:
Ican, I just don’t have all the faith that you do in General Franks. To me he seemed to have wanted to go to Iraq for a long time and so anything he says should take that into consideration. I rely more on the bi-partisan 9/11 report.

Revel, I'll be back from flying in about 6 hours and will respond then.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 03:33 pm
Too bad we couldn't pull the feeding tube of these brain dead suicide bombers.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 03:36 pm
ican711nm wrote:
revel wrote:
Ican, I just don't have all the faith that you do in General Franks. To me he seemed to have wanted to go to Iraq for a long time and so anything he says should take that into consideration. I rely more on the bi-partisan 9/11 report.

Revel, I'll be back from flying in about 6 hours and will respond then.

General Franks can do no wrong...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 03:58 pm
General Franks is of the same ilk as this administrattion, they don't make any mistakes. We are all safe in their hands while they institutionalize religion (and their beliefs) in our country.
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 05:08 pm
I thought you guys might find these articles interesting. They've changed my perspective somewhat.

Iraq: Tactical Folly--Strategic Madness

Iraq, 2005: Major Fallacies In Bush Administration Approach
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 05:24 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
General Franks is of the same ilk as this administrattion, they don't make any mistakes. We are all safe in their hands while they institutionalize religion (and their beliefs) in our country.

I think he is similar but not the same 'ilk"...
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 06:36 pm
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/P/PRISONER_ABUSE_IRAQ?SITE=FLROC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Mar 25, 7:14 PM EST

Army probe finds abuse at base near Mosul

By MATT KELLEY
Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- An Army investigation found systematic abuse and possible torture of Iraqi prisoners at a base near Mosul just as top military officials became aware of abuse allegations at the Abu Ghraib prison outside Baghdad, documents released Friday showed.

Records previously released by the Army have detailed abuses at Abu Ghraib and other sites in Iraq as well as at sites in Afghanistan and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The documents released Friday were the first to reveal abuses at the jail in Mosul and are among the few to allege torture directly.

An officer found that detainees "were being systematically and intentionally mistreated" at the holding facility near Mosul in December 1993. The 311th Military Intelligence Battalion of the Army's 101st Airborne Division ran the lockup.

"There is evidence that suggests the 311th MI personnel and/or translators engaged in physical torture of the detainees," a memo from the investigator said. The January 2004 report said the prisoners' rights under the Geneva Conventions were violated.

Top military officials first became aware of the Abu Ghraib abuses in January 2004, when pictures such as those showing soldiers piling naked prisoners in a pyramid were turned over to investigators. The resulting scandal after the pictures became public tarnished the military's image in Arab countries and worldwide and sparked investigations of detainee abuses.

The records about the Mosul jail were part of more than 1,200 pages of documents referring to allegations of prisoner abuse. The Army released the records to reporters and to the American Civil Liberties Union, which had filed a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit.

"They show the torture and abuse of detainees was routine and such treatment was considered an acceptable practice by U.S. forces," ACLU lawyer Amrit Singh said.

Guards at the detention facility near Mosul came from at least three infantry units of the 101st Airborne, including an air-defense artillery unit. The investigating officer, whose name was blacked out of the documents, said the troops were poorly trained and encouraged to abuse prisoners.

According to the report, the abuse included:

- Forcing detainees to perform exercises such as deep knee bends for hours on end, to the point of exhaustion.

- Blowing cigarette smoke into the sandbags the prisoners were forced to wear as hoods.

- Throwing cold water on the prisoners in a room that was between 40 degrees and 50 degrees.

- Blasting the detainees with heavy-metal music, yelling at them and banging on doors and ammunition cans.

No one was punished for the abuses, however, because the investigating officer said there was not enough proof against any individual. The report did not say what actions might have amounted to torture or which individuals might have committed them.

The investigator ruled that troops were responsible for the broken jaw of a 20-year-old detainee who had been rounded up with his father, a suspected member of the Fedayeen Saddam guerrilla group.

The records released Friday also contained details of several other abuse investigations. In one case, soldiers admitted they had rounded up suspected looters near Baghdad in the summer of 2003, then stripped them naked and told them to walk home.

The staff sergeant in charge of that unit said he knew what he did was wrong but that he wanted to humiliate the looters so much they would never return. The sergeant said he was afraid another unit at their base had shot and killed a looter without being punished and would shoot others.

"I didn't want to kill him," the sergeant wrote of one looter, "so I decided to teach him a lesson."

The sergeant was given an "other than honorable" discharge and two other soldiers involved in the stripping incident were given letters of reprimand, said Army spokesman Col. Jeremy Martin.

"The command took aggressive action to hold individuals accountable," Martin said.

In another incident, soldiers from a Howitzer battery beat three detainees in September 2003. Martin said all four received nonjudicial punishment, which can include letters of reprimand, fines or reductions in rank.

The soldiers said they were angered by what the detainees had done. One prisoner had shot at U.S. soldiers while hiding behind a group of children, they claimed, while another was accused of forging passports for possible terrorists.

"I think any American and soldier would have acted as I did," a soldier wrote in a statement.

---

On the Net:

ACLU: http://www.aclu.org
0 Replies