THE US, THE UN AND THE IRAQIS THEMSELVES, V. 7.0

ican711nm

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 02:01 pm
revel wrote:
I was talking about the Shiite's who are now being targeted so heavily by the insurgents since the elections.

I miss-inferred your emphasis. I thought your emphasis was on your statement: "I find it curious that the Kurds who also participated in the elections are not being targeted as well." So I was addressing why the Kurd's were not being targeted rather than why others were being targeted.

the rest of my comments are in blue

revel wrote:
But you believe that the insurgents are rewarding the Kurds and not the Shiites (who are the subject in this discussion) because they fought back. Correct?
Incorrect! I used the word, reward sarcastically. I was attempting to discuss only the effectiveness of the Kurds in limiting terrorism among themselves relative to the effectiveness of the other Iraqis in limiting terrorism among themselves.

Did not the Shiite's stage a rebellion as well? I seem to remember something to that effect. If so, your guess as to the reason why the Kurds seem to be left alone might not be accurate.
Shiites did stage a rebellion and Saddam's regime rewarded Rolling Eyes them by slaughtering thousands of them. So one could conclude in the context of Saddam's regime that the reward for resistance was death. However, I'm not talking about reward for resisting one's government, I'm talking about relative effectiveness of one's government in suppressing terrorists.

What evidence do you have that the Kurds are presently fighting back as opposed to the Shiite's?
The Shiites are fighting back against terrorists, but so far less effectively than the Kurds. My evidence that the Kurds are fighting back against terrorists has been posted in articles here several times in the last few days by others on the right and left. I have not yet encountered any evidence that the Sunnis in the Baghdad area are fighting back at all.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 02:02 pm
I agree with cyclop, if it is a mistake (which I am inclined to think so far) we should at least own up to it. (btw Cyclop; thanks)

I think Bush did own up to it even if briefly, I don't think even he managed to blame the incident on the terrorist.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 02:04 pm
Hey, Walter, you've gone over the line; we have family and friends of Italian heritage, and they're as honest as everybody else! (mmm... may have to restate that!)
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 02:05 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I have no more facts in this situation than you do;

You don't know what their orders were. You don't know what happened exactly. You don't even know if there was a checkpoint at all. The only word you have to go off of is the US military; and you trust them implicitly?

Why? The history of military lies, falsifications, and cover-ups goes back for pretty much the entire history of our military. For some reason, you now believe they aren't capable of such things?

Again, how many times do you people have to be lied to before you wise up?

Cycloptichorn

What real experience do you have of war or with the U.S. military? I have a great deal of it and believe my ability to understasnd the context in which the soldiers were operating is probably much greater than yours.

Youir condemnations of our military are rather broad and far reaching. Care to back them up with a few facts?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 02:07 pm
ican711nm wrote:
revel wrote:
I was talking about the Shiite's who are now being targeted so heavily by the insurgents since the elections.

I miss-inferred your emphasis. I thought your emphasis was on your statement: "I find it curious that the Kurds who also participated in the elections are not being targeted as well." So I was addressing why the Kurd's were not being targeted rather than why others were being targeted.

the rest of my comments are in blue

revel wrote:
But you believe that the insurgents are rewarding the Kurds and not the Shiites (who are the subject in this discussion) because they fought back. Correct?
Incorrect! I used the word, reward sarcastically. I was attempting to discuss only the effectiveness of the Kurds in limiting terrorism among themselves relative to the effectiveness of the other Iraqis in limiting terrorism among themselves.

Did not the Shiite's stage a rebellion as well? I seem to remember something to that effect. If so, your guess as to the reason why the Kurds seem to be left alone might not be accurate.
Shiites did stage a rebellion and Saddam's regime rewarded Rolling Eyes them by slaughtering thousands of them. So one could conclude in the context of Saddam's regime that the reward for resistance was death. However, I'm not talking about reward for resisting one's government, I'm talking about relative effectiveness of one's government in suppressing terrorists.

What evidence do you have that the Kurds are presently fighting back as opposed to the Shiite's?
The Shiites are fighting back against terrorists, but so far less effectively than the Kurds. My evidence that the Kurds are fighting back against terrorists has been posted in articles here several times in the last few days by others on the right and left. I have not yet encountered any evidence that the Sunnis in the Baghdad area are fighting back at all.

This post is even harder for me to understand, I think I will take a break and go to wal-mart and get back to it later.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 02:08 pm
George,

You seriously need me to start listing instances in which the military/gov't decieved the public? If you were as conversant with the US military as you claim, there would be little need for such a list.

Quote:
What real experience do you have of war or with the U.S. military? I have a great deal of it and believe my ability to understasnd the context in which the soldiers were operating is probably much greater than yours.

Probably. But that doesn't mean you know a single thing more about what happened than I do, or what anyone else does. The fact you choose to implicitly trust our military is all the facts you need in this situation, right? Right.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 02:14 pm
Some examples of trusting our military. 1. They exposed our own troops to nuclear explosions to study the effects, 2. They used Agent Orange in Vietnam that exposed our troops to toxics/poisons, 3. They immunized all our troops to antrax for the Iraq war, 4. None of the generals spoke up to protect our troops from faulty equipment and lack of troops., and 5. Military investigations seems to always end up with lower ranks paying the highest price.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 02:16 pm
Here's one bitch I have; our injured vets returning from Afghanistan and Iraq are not being cared for. Trust? Give me a break!
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 02:23 pm
Excerpt:

Quote:
Italians kept U.S. forces in dark

By John Phillips
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

ROME -- Italian agents likely withheld information from U.S. counterparts about a cash-for-freedom deal with gunmen holding an Italian hostage for fear that Americans might block the trade, Italian news reports said yesterday.
The decision by operatives of Italy's SISMI military intelligence service to keep the CIA in the dark about the deal for the release of reporter Giuliana Sgrena, might have "short-circuited" communications with U.S. forces controlling the road from Baghdad to the city's airport, the newspaper La Stampa said.
That would help explain why American troops opened fire on a car whisking the released hostage to a waiting airplane, wounding Miss Sgrena and killing the Italian intelligence operative who had just negotiated her release.

Source
0 Replies

ican711nm

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 02:24 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
... I have no more facts in this situation than you do; yet you assume that certain things are facts ...

So do you assume that certain things are facts despite the fact that you don't have more facts to support your assumption than the other guy does. To wit:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
... The history of military lies, falsifications, and cover-ups goes back for pretty much the entire history of our military.

Seems like you are assuming the military almost always lies and did in fact lie this time.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
For some reason, you now believe they aren't capable of such things?

Seems like you are assuming you know what someone else believes.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Again, how many times do you people have to be lied to before you wise up?

Seems like you are assuming you are more capable than others you disagree with in determining when you are being lied to.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 02:35 pm
It would be interesting to knowif either Cicerone or Cyclo ever served in the military which they claim to know so well.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 02:37 pm
Quote:
Italy's ransom dilemma
By Irene Peroni
BBC News

A debate is raging in Italy on whether paying ransom money to insurgent groups in Iraq is an acceptable strategy, three days after kidnapped journalist Giuliana Sgrena was released from captivity and her rescuer killed by "friendly fire".

The Italian media have been carrying unconfirmed reports that 6m euros ($7.9m, £4.1m) changed hands to free Ms Sgrena.
The government has not confirmed the claims, but for the first time there has been no official denial either.

When two young Italian aid workers were freed in September 2004, then Foreign Minister Franco Frattini denied that a ransom had been paid.

But MP Giuliano Selva said the denial was "purely official", and Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi spoke of a "difficult choice which had to be made".

'Very likely'

The happy ending for several Italian kidnap dramas in Iraq is in stark contrast to the tragic outcome of other similar episodes, including the plight of British-Irish charity worker Margaret Hassan, who had been living and working in Iraq for several decades.

During her captivity, Tony Blair repeated several times that negotiating with the abductors was not an option - in line with the policy of the US, which leads the coalition forces.

The Italian government knows very well that negotiating with the insurgents is against the rules.
But it is equally aware it cannot count on public support if something goes tragically wrong.

Mr Berlusconi took the decision to deploy troops to Iraq at a time when 80% of Italians were against the war.

The public now stands by and large behind Italy's military presence there, mainly because the mission is seen as playing a crucial role in helping the country get back on its feet.

Had Ms Sgrena's captivity ended with her death, and possibly a gruesome video, the opposition, backed by public opinion, would have had a powerful political weapon to call for an immediate withdrawal.

'Hypocritical'

Talking to Italian daily Corriere della Sera, Agriculture Minister Gianni Alemanno said thought it "very likely" that a ransom had been paid, and justified the move.

"It is far preferable to pay a price that is relatively low compared to the value of a human life and to the political price of being blackmailed into pulling out the troops," he said.

But in a comment published by La Repubblica daily newspaper, Giuseppe D'Avanzo called Italy's ransom paying strategy the fruit of a "collective hypocrisy", which, he says, is difficult to "sweep under the carpet".

"We [Italians] are a community which, in times of tragedy, seeks, urges and invokes a bloodless solution, regardless of the material or symbolic price we have to pay," it says.

"These conditions are excellent for those who conduct the blackmail, and politically adventurous for those, like the government, who have to tackle it."

"Maybe, on a day when the country pays due tribute to a generous state official, it is also appropriate for us to feel the responsibility of this collective hypocrisy," he concluded in a reference to secret service agent Nicola Calipari, who died shortly after securing Ms Sgrena's release.
Source
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 02:45 pm
George, you of anybody on this thread, have the background and expertise to know. In your opinion, are our injured vets coming back from the middle east being neglected or are they receiving substandard treatment? Any more than our vets have ever received in the V.A. system anyway?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 02:48 pm
Quote:
Seems like you are assuming you are more capable than others you disagree with in determining when you are being lied to.

Well, apparently so, as it seems many today are incapable of realizing that the US, military, govt, or private, is made up of people with the exact same failings as people everywhere; and therefore will lie with great frequency, as people are known to do in all walks of life.

Quote:
Seems like you are assuming the military almost always lies and did in fact lie this time.

I'm assuming the military lies when it is convienent for them to do so. Their commanders certainly do.

George:
Quote:
It would be interesting to know if either Cicerone or Cyclo ever served in the military which they claim to know so well.

Yeah, becuase we all know that if you haven't served in the military, you aren't qualified to talk about anything related to it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 02:51 pm
Questions About A Plot
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 02:51 pm
Cyclo,

It is well known that ignorance of the subject matter is only rarely an inhibiting factor in the tendencies of some to speak knowingly of things they don't understand at all.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 02:57 pm
georgeob1 wrote:
It would be interesting to knowif either Cicerone or Cyclo ever served in the military which they claim to know so well.

Well, during WWII American citizens of Japanese ancestry were not denied some of the most basic civil rights, most of them were interned, as I've read. When were they allowed to serve again?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 03:01 pm
Quote:

It is well known that ignorance of the subject matter is only rarely an inhibiting factor in the tendencies of some to speak knowingly of things they don't understand at all.

Thanks for explaining your posts up till now! I was under the mistaken assumption that you thought your experience in the Armed Forces somehow made you an expert on whether or not events today took place or not, or whether or not people lie and decieve!

Now that you've admitted that your ignorance of these current events is no bar to us having a conversation about those events, perhaps we can get a substantial conversation going...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 03:11 pm
From "The Independent" today:

As Donald Rumsfeld, the US Defence Secretary, telephoned his Italian counterpart, Antonio Martino, to express regret for the killing, Italian government ministers and opposition politicians denounced the shooting. Gianni Alemanno, the Minister for Agriculture, said: "We need to see the guilty punished and an apology from the Americans. We are trustworthy allies but we must not give the impression of being subordinates."

Romano Prodi, the opposition leader, said: "What is required is a precise analysis of the events, beginning with the testimony of the American unit that fired."

Mr Berlusconi has long competed with Tony Blair for the title of most loyal ally of America, but now he is struggling to contain a rising tide of anti-Americanism which poses the critical question: if Italy, with the third biggest military contingent in Iraq after Britain's, is the esteemed ally that Berlusconi claims it to be, why should US soldiers fire on the car taking the released hostage to Baghdad airport - and then seek to palm Italy off with an obviously mendacious explanation?

Edward Luttwak, an American military commentator interviewed yesterday in La Repubblica, said Mr Calipari's death was "the sort of thing that happens all the time in a war", and he advised Italy to "take an aspirin and go to bed, you'll feel better in the morning". But for many Italians the secret agent's death exposed a gulf of mistrust and loathing.

The story began early on Friday afternoon when Mr Calipari and his team of military intelligence agents arrived in Baghdad from Abu Dhabi. After weeks of haggling, the ransom for Ms Sgrena had finally been agreed: at least $6m (£3.1m), according to the Italian press, and perhaps as much as $8m, had been handed over. The time and place for the release was settled.

Italy is well aware that its habit of paying large sums to secure the release of its nationals is disapproved of by the Americans and British. All negotiations are therefore carried on in secret. But at Baghdad airport Mr Calipari explained at the US headquarters what his team had come to do. It was arranged that an American colonel would be on hand at the airport when Ms Sgrena arrived for her flight back to Italy. By the time the team had rented a four-wheel drive it was already 5pm.

At 8.20pm, Mr Calipari's team reached the rendezvous on the outskirts of Baghdad. The vehicle they were looking for was there. Ms Sgrena's abductors had left her blindfolded in the back of the car. "I'm a friend of Pier and Gabriele," Mr Calipari said, naming Ms Sgrena's partner and editor. The 57-year-old journalist was a bundle of tension as they got her into their vehicle and left for the airport.

By now it was dark and pouring with rain. Baghdad is far too dangerous for people to go out after dark without excellent reason, and all scheduled flights had left. But the Italians decided that, with their plane waiting on the Tarmac, it was better to get Ms Sgrena home without delay.

They passed two American checkpoints along the airport road without incident and were 700 metres or so from the airport building. The road narrowed to a single, one-way lane and took a 90-degree turn. The car was going slowly now, approaching the end of the journey.

"At last I felt safe," Ms Sgrena said. "We had nearly arrived in an area under American control, an area more or less friendly, even if it was still unsettled."

Then, turning the corner, they found their progress baulked by an American tank. They were blinded by a powerful light. "Without any warning, any signal, we were bombarded with a shower of bullets," Ms Sgrena said. "The tank was firing on us, our car was riddled with bullets. Nicola tried to protect me, then his body slumped on top of mine, I heard his death rattle, then I felt a pain but I couldn't tell where I had been hit. Those who had fired came up to the car, but before I was taken to the American hospital there was an interminable wait, it's hard to know how long I was lying there wounded but perhaps it was 20 minutes."

Was Ms Sgrena, correspondent of the communist daily Il Manifesto, who has repeatedly demanded an end to the occupation, the true target? She couldn't rule it out, she said. "Everybody knows that the Americans are opposed to hostage negotiations. So I don't see why we must exclude the possibility that I was their target. The Americans don't approve, and so they try to frustrate the negotiations every way they can."

Ms Sgrena, who is recovering in hospital, added that she did not intend to go back to Iraq because "the conditions don't exist for getting information". Her abductors, she said, "don't want witnesses, and they regard all of us as possible spies".

CONFLICTING VERSIONS

There are some glaring discrepancies in the Italian and American versions of the killing of the agent Nicola Calipari and the wounding of released hostage Giuliana Sgrena and two other Italian secret service agents:

The Americans say: the car was travelling at high speed
The Italians say: it was travelling at 40-50kph

US: It approached a checkpoint near the airport at speed when soldiers fired on it to force it to stop as a "last resort"
Italy: It had passed three checkpoints without incident and was 700 metres from the airport when fired upon

US: The soldiers used hand signals and bright lights and fired warning shots before hitting the car with shots
Italy: There was no warning. Three to four hundred rounds were fired, afterwards the car seats were covered in spent cartridges. The Americans forced the Italians to remain in the car without medical attention for an hour

US: There was a lack of co-ordination between the Italians and the Americans
Italy: The Americans were kept fully informed

US: It was a regrettable accident which will be aggressively investigated
Italy: Ms Sgrena claims it was a deliberate ambush to kill her, as the Italians had paid a ransom, a practice America opposes, and as she had learnt inconvenient facts from her abductors.

7 March 2005 21:13
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 03:11 pm
I second Cyclo's above post. After all, I was in the US Air Force back in the late fifties, and I'm not about to start comparing apples and tea.
0 Replies