THE US, THE UN AND THE IRAQIS THEMSELVES, V. 7.0

Lash

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 08:18 am
Shoot fast, ask ques...

Unbelieveable! They get blown up when they hesitate at checkpoints. I can't imagine the thought process of someone who thinks life in Iraq is a friggin' garden party.

How easy it is to sit back in the air-conditioned comfort of your home--that generations of American service personnel have afforded for you, and criticise them.

Goddammit that pisses me off.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 08:19 am
Foxfyre wrote:
I too have noticed that the story keeps changing from the Italians' side. The details of American side, while receiving review, will no doubt not be aired to a sometimes less-than-responsible press as the Americans do not wish to inform the terrorists of what criteria is used to make judgments at check points. What is being reported that the Americans said, however, has been consistent in every detail.

To Revel's assertion that we should have not been so quick to shoot and ask questions later, tell that to the brave young men who have been gravely wounded, lost limbs and eyes, and who have lost their lives when seemingly innocuous automobiles blew up in their faces. As they have learned from their mistakes and implemented different controls, there have been far fewer such deaths and injuries.

Are you going to tell the police officer not to use deadly force when confronted by a charging suspect who refuses to stop when ordered to stop? Are you going to tell your son and daughter in uniform that if it fails to stop when ordered, by all means do not shoot to stop the car speeding toward you unless you are positive it is a car bomb?

Can 'unarmed' people be killed in both scenarios? Yes and it happens. Have the police or military acted improperly? No they have not.

Quote:
I have been reading the Italian shooting and while I think that was an unfortunate accident that may or may not have been avoided if they were not so quick to shoot and ask questions later. However, it is hard for people who are not in the line of fire to judge what those that are in the line of fire perceive the danger to be. I really don't buy the Italian woman's story of it being an American plot. To me she just comes off as someone with an axe to grind and is fast loosing credibility.

Do you purposely pick and choose which parts of my posts you are going to respond to?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 08:20 am
Lash wrote:
Shoot fast, ask ques...

Unbelieveable! They get blown up when they hesitate at checkpoints. I can't imagine the thought process of someone who thinks life in Iraq is a friggin' garden party.

How easy it is to sit back in the air-conditioned comfort of your home--that generations of American service personnel have afforded for you, and criticise them.

Calm down and go back and reread my post.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 08:22 am
Lash wrote:

That's perhaps, what the family of the killed Italian thinks as well as those of the others. (They were there, you remember - those agents and the journalist, I mean.)
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 08:27 am
Okay Revel, you were uncharacteristically ambivalent for a change instead of absolutely certain the Americans are the bad guys. So I'll give you credit for that.

And Walter, the Americans were there too. And they had no agenda whatsoever other than to stay alive.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 08:32 am
Foxfyre wrote:
And they had no agenda whatsoever other than to stay alive.

Correct.

And I'm sure, the Italian was happy to be alive and free again as well as the other three, to have have freed her ... and stayed alive doing so.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 08:35 am
Meanwhile back at the war .....

Quote:
War Profiteers
WAR PROFITEERS

PO Box 19405, Washington, DC 20036
1.202.387.8030 V. 1.202.234.5176 Fax
Email: [email protected]

Ten Worst War Profiteers of 2004

Introduction

At the beginning of the Iraq war, Andrew Natsios, head of the U.S. Agency for International Development (AID), proclaimed that the reconstruction of Iraq would look like a modern-day Marshall Plan. But a year and a half later, fierce resistance to the occupation, combined with bureaucratic ineptitude and corporate corruption threaten to undermine the Bush administration's grand designs.

In mid-July, U.S. officials admitted that fewer than 140 of the 2,300 reconstruction projects funded by the U.S. were underway. Although AID says "dirt has been turned" on 1,167 projects including schools and hospitals, with at least 70 new ones starting each week, it's unlikely to change the big picture very much. The kidnapping and execution of contract personnel and the ongoing sabotage of key projects -- power plants, electricity lines and oil pipelines -- have slowed work in many areas of the country to a crawl, jacking up the cost of security, insurance and other ancillary expenditures, which in most cases amount to half of the contractors' budgets.

By August, Ambassador John Negroponte was ready to announce that more than $3 billion of $18 billion in U.S. aid earmarked by Congress for engineering and reconstruction work would be used for security and counterinsurgency operations.

The announcement was tacit recognition that a kind of vicious cycle was at work that threatened to wreck the whole project. Exactly how much the resistance has gained from the festering resentments caused by the stalled reconstruction process is difficult to say, but the aggravation caused by the lack of electricity and other basic services is certain to be blamed on the CPA and the contractors, and could result in further support for the resistance. An increase in attacks on construction sites - more than one a day according to the Army - indicates that they are a clear target of the resistance.

The increase in security personnel has so far not been enough to turn this dynamic around. In late December, Contrack International, the lead partner on a $320 million transportation systems contract, announced that it was withdrawing from Iraq because of "prohibitive" security costs.

Meanwhile, many in Congress have been roiled by reports that just 7 percent of the $18 billion originally allocated for reconstruction had been spent. This particular story set off fireworks this fall among Republican leaders, including Senator Richard Lugar, R-Indiana, who blasted the Bush administration as "incompetent" for failing to devote adequate on-the-ground personnel to contract administration, management, and oversight.

"It's beyond pitiful, it's beyond embarrassing, it's now in the zone of dangerous," added Chuck Hagel, R-Nebraska.

Searching for Root Causes

The Professional Services Council, a trade association representing some of the Iraq contractors, says much of the blame can attributed to the distance between the procurement planners sitting in Washington and contractors in the field.

From the perspective of the byzantine world of contract insiders, it looks like they may have a point. The lack of accountability, reports the Project on Government Oversight in a recent report, can be attributed to the gutting of acquisition workforce and oversight personnel, mandated by Congress starting in the mid-1990s, at a time when the Pentagon began to hand out large open-ended (Indefinite-Delivery/Indefinite-Quantity) contracts to well-connected firms including Bechtel and Halliburton. The result has been the creation of layer upon layer of subcontracts, with little transparency and reduced government oversight.

Recent revelations suggest that the Pentagon's handoff to Halliburton may have also allowed individual employees to demand kickbacks from potential subcontractors. Congressman Waxman's office dropped a new "H-bomb" in November, when it announced that it had received 400 pages of internal State Department documents which suggest that Halliburton officials were "on the take" and "solicit[ing] bribes openly" from potential subcontractors.

Although the company did not respond directly to Waxman's assertions, in a quarterly SEC filing the company said the Pentagon's Inspector General "may investigate" two employees who "may have solicited and/or accepted payments from these third-party subcontractors while they were employed by us."

Ironically, the contracting agencies' response has been to outsource much of the oversight process itself. While the CPA's audit staff was cut by nearly half during 2004, for example, US AID and other agencies began hiring contractors to oversee other contractors with whom, in some cases, they already had ongoing contractual relationships, according to this report released by Henry Waxman, D-California, and Senate Democrats.

The big, no-bid contracts not only made it difficult for other U.S. firms to get in on the action, but also resulted in complaints from the administration's closest Iraqi allies. Last February, Rend Rahim Francke, the U.S.-appointed Iraq Governing Council's representative in Washington, openly criticized the CPA for passing over Iraqi firms when awarding billions of dollars in reconstruction contracts. Iraqi firms, she said, could easily have done the work more cheaply and quickly.

She might have added that Iraqi firms employ more Iraqis -- who otherwise might be inclined to join the resistance. In December, AID claimed at least 100,000 Iraqis were currently employed in U.S.-funded reconstruction projects -- a fraction of the number of Iraqis who have become unemployed as a result of the war.

New economic rules imposed by the CPA have allowed Iraqi suspicions to fester even further. Critics say the CPA's Orders were clearly designed to benefit foreign investors more than the Iraqi people, and constitute a virtual blueprint for economic colonialism.

CPA Order 39, for example, set out a plan to essentially privatize Iraq's 200 state-owned industries. The order allows for "national treatment" of foreign investors (i.e. no preferences for local bidders and investors), who can also own 100 percent of any privatized business with unrestricted, tax-free remittance (i.e. repatriation) of all profits.

A leaked memo written by British attorney general Lord Goldsmith acknowledges that the CPA may have outstepped its own legitimate authority in issuing the orders, warning Prime Minister Tony Blair that "major structural economic reforms would not be authorized by international law."

At this point the legality of the orders is probably moot. With so much instability, it's not as if foreign investors have been beating down the doors. The country is so unstable that most of the pitches to foreign investors have taken place outside the country, in places like London, Jordan and suburban Virginia. To little avail.

Even before the security situation had deteriorated enough to stall the reconstruction, strong opposition to the privatization of state-owned businesses emerged, especially from workers at many state-owned factories. It's thus no accident that the only Hussein-era law that the CPA saw fit to enforce was one that restricted union organizing.

A legal quagmire.

In October, a new twist was added to the confusion surrounding the reconstruction contracts (are they wasting our money or not spending it fast enough?): According to an independent audit conducted by KPMG for the multilateral International Advisory and Monitoring Board (established under UN Security Council Resolution 1483 to oversee the occupational authority), the CPA paid $12 billion to the contractors out of the Development Fund of Iraq (DFI). Nearly $1.5 billion was paid to one contractor -- Halliburton.

I.e., instead of using the money earmarked by Congress for the reconstruction, it appears that the CPA used Iraq's oil revenues to pay off U.S. contractors - money that Colin Powell said before the war was the "Iraqi people's" money, and therefore would not be touched by "coalition" leaders.

It's a story that was largely ignored while Congress beat up on the UN and Kofi Annan for corruption associated with the oil-for-food program before the war.

"If we are going to look at how Iraq's oil proceeds have been managed, we have an obligation to examine not only the actions of the U.N., but also our own actions," Congressman Henry Waxman, D-California, suggested in October, referring to the attacks in Congress on the UN's handling of the oil-for-food program. "This money belongs to the Iraqi people. It is not a slush fund."

The CPA's quasi-governmental status is also being criticized for providing contractors with a means of shielding themselves from accountability or prosecution for fraud. As CorpWatch's Dave Phinney recently reported, lawyers for Custer Battles, a company accused of fraudulent billing practices, claim that the fact they were paid out of the DFI by the CPA means that the company cannot be sued under the U.S. False Claims Act -- a law traditionally used to go after corrupt contractors. The Bush administration has issued contradictory assessments of the CPA's status suggesting it has no clear position as to whether it considers the CPA to be a federal agency or not. See, for example, see this memo by the Congressional Research Service.

Major Major Major Major Screwups

When it comes to corruption, Halliburton may be just the tip of the iceberg. According the CPA's latest report, we are now witnessing an epidemic of corruption: 38 potential criminal cases associated with the Iraq contracts are still under investigation, while 75 had been closed or referred to other investigative agencies. The Defense Criminal Investigative Service had 16 open cases as of the beginning of October.

Meanwhile, a bipartisan coalition led by Senators Durbin (D-IL) and Craig (R-ID) have introduced a resolution that would establish a special committee to investigate the awarding and carrying out of contracts in Iraq and the war on terrorism. The committee would be modeled after Harry Truman's famous WWII committee on war profiteering. (For more information see Contract Watch).

The next time there is a major debate in Congress will likely be sometime after Iraq's scheduled elections (if they occur), when the Bush administration is expected to ask for another $100 billion.

Source and links
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 08:38 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Lash wrote:

That's perhaps, what the family of the killed Italian thinks as well as those of the others. (They were there, you remember - those agents and the journalist, I mean.)

Walter--

The meaning of your statement is unclear.

Could you state your meaning?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 08:40 am
I think, the relatives of the killed and the wounded/freed Italians could think as well that this "pisses" them of.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 08:42 am
Walter writes
Quote:
Correct.

And I'm sure, the Italian was happy to be alive and free again as well as the other three, to have have freed her ... and stayed alive doing so.

But the Italians were not being confronted by a speeding car that could likely be hostiles bent on blowing themselve up along with a lot of other people. That is the difference.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 08:42 am
Quote:
Italians in Iraq
06 Mar 2005 14:06:13 GMT

Source: Reuters

ROME, March 6 (Reuters) - The body of an Italian secret service agent shot by U.S. forces in Iraq was flown home to a hero's welcome on Sunday amid mounting anger in Italy over his killing.

Agent Nicola Calipari died while shielding reporter Giuliana Sgrena, just freed after a month held hostage.

Following is a brief chronology of incidents involving Italians in Iraq.

2004:

April 14 - Fabrizio Quattrocchi, one of four kidnapped Italian security guards, is shot and killed by his captors. The other three are freed on June 8.

Aug 26 - Enzo Baldoni, a reporter for the Milan-based weekly Diario, is killed by kidnappers. He was kidnapped on Aug. 24.

Sept 28 - Simona Pari and Simona Torretta, two Italian women aid workers held hostage in Iraq since Sept. 7, are released and handed over to the Italian charge d'affaires in Baghdad.

Nov 12 - Car bomb kills at least 28 people - 19 Italians, mostly carabinieri paramilitary police, and nine Iraqis - in Nassiriya.

Dec 16 - Salvatore Santoro, an Italian citizen working in Iraq for a British NGO, is killed by his captors.

2005:

March 5 - Giuliana Sgrena, a journalist for Italian daily Il Manifesto, is released. On her journey to Baghdad airport U.S. troops open fire on the car she is travelling in.
Source
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 08:52 am
Do you think the Americans tried to assassinate her?Yeah. We tried to kill her...

She's a communist who hates the US--as are her bosses.

I imagine if some lefties HERE experienced the same thing--they'd blame our troops as well. Ignominious.

She chose to buddy up with her captors, and trust THEM.

Vomitus.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 08:55 am
Lash wrote:
Do you think the Americans tried to assassinate her?

No.
Lash wrote:

She's a communist who hates the US--as are her bosses.

No.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 09:55 am
Have you read Il Manifesto? You wouldn't say it is virlently anti-American, and anti-Iraq war? Would you characterize them as unbiased?

Would you say the attitude they display in their articles precludes an anti-American spin regarding this affair?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 09:55 am
Anybody... Not trying to hound you, Walter.

----

edit-- That Il Manifesto journalist openly took sides of the terrorists against the US.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 10:03 am
Well, I have a subscription for 'Die Zeit' since about 40 years now (stopped ut actually this year).

I always like(d) her writings there.

'Il Manifesto' (the other paper, she is writing for) surely is a leftwing newspaper, but truly independent .... what is your definition of 'communist'?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 10:05 am
One who espouses Communist ideas and methods.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 10:07 am
Lash wrote:
One who espouses Communist ideas and methods.

Well 9/10 of German media are than communist papers, az least re "anti-Iraq war".
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 10:14 am
<shakes head emphatically>

I don't consider anyone a Communist because of views on a war.

I consider Communism a cruel slavery of the body, soul and mind--quite deeper than the relative blip of the Iraq war. Actually, you could say Communism and it's children are the reason for the Iraq War. And, the US is Communism's worst enemy--ergo, she being a Communist QUITE LIKELY means all of her opinions begin from a vantage point of virulent anti-Americanism.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 10:25 am
Quote:

Last Updated: Sunday, 6 March, 2005, 15:02 GMT
E-mail this to a friend Printable version
Hostage fears troops targeted her
Giuliana Sgrena
Sgrena is an avowed opponent of the Iraq war
Italian journalist Giuliana Sgrena has suggested US troops deliberately tried to kill her moments after she was released by her kidnappers in Baghdad.

Ms Sgrena, writing in her left-wing newspaper Il Manifesto, described how her car came "under a rain of fire".

At that moment, she said she recalled her captors' words that some Americans "don't want you to go back".

The US military, who said troops fired on the speeding car after it failed to stop, has opened a full investigation.

A top Italian secret service agent, Nicola Calipari, died in the incident as he shielded Ms Sgrena from the gunshots.

He had led the efforts to negotiate the release of the correspondent, held captive in Iraq for more than a month.

Everyone knows that the Americans do not like negotiations to free hostages, and because of this I don't see why I should exclude the possibility of me having been the target
Giuliana Sgrena
Ex-hostage

The body of Mr Calipari, who is being treated as a national hero, is lying in state in an imposing monument in the centre of Rome before a state funeral on Monday.

The incident in Baghdad threatens to have continuing political fallout in Rome, says our correspondent there David Willey.

Pressure will grow on Italy's Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, a staunch ally of US President George W Bush, to reconsider the wisdom of keeping on Italian peacekeepers in Iraq, our correspondent says.

Already, the Italian foreign ministry has warned all Italian nationals to avoid travel to Iraq.

Sgrena's account

Details remain unclear about exactly what happened as the car carrying the Italian journalist, Calipari and two other agents made its journey towards Baghdad's airport late on Friday.

The US military says that the car was speeding as it approached a checkpoint and that soldiers used hand signals, flashed lights, and fired warning shots in an attempt to stop it, before opening fire.

DIFFERING ACCOUNTS
US: Forces fired on a vehicle that was approaching at a high rate of speed
Troops attempted to warn the driver to stop by hand and arm signals, flashing white lights, and firing warning shots
When the driver didn't stop, the soldiers shot into the engine block
Sgrena: The driver had spoken twice to the embassy and to Italy that we were on our way to the airport
We were less than a kilometre [from the airport]... when... I remember there was shooting
The driver began screaming that we were Italian
We weren't going particularly fast given that type of situation

In pictures: Joy and dismay
Italian press reaction

In her account for Il Manifesto, Ms Sgrena said the kidnappers had released her willingly.

When she got in the car, Calipari took off her blindfold and was "an avalanche of friendly phrases, jokes".

"Nicola Calipari was seated at my side. The driver had spoken twice to the embassy and to Italy that we were on our way to the airport that I knew was saturated with American troops. We were less than a kilometre they told me... when... I remember there was shooting.

"The driver began screaming that we were Italian, 'We're Italian! We're Italian!'"

Ms Sgrena has said the car was not going particularly fast.

Upon her release, she said, "They [the kidnappers] said they were committed to releasing me, but that I had to be careful 'because there are Americans who don't want you to go back'."

In another interview with Sky Italia TV, she said it was possible the soldiers had targeted her because Washington opposed the policy of negotiating with kidnappers.

Calipari's coffin arrives in Rome

Calipari: 'Extraordinary hero'

"Everyone knows that the Americans do not like negotiations to free hostages, and because of this I don't see why I should exclude the possibility of me having been the target," she said.

She said she did not know if a ransom was paid for her release - a policy the US does not approve either.

Ms Sgrena was abducted on 4 February, and later appeared in a video begging for help and urging foreign troops to leave Iraq.

Much of the country was opposed to the US-led war in Iraq and the government's decision to send 3,000 Italian troops to Iraq.
0 Replies