THE US, THE UN AND THE IRAQIS THEMSELVES, V. 7.0

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 10:15 am
Yep, that Chris Cox.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 10:20 am
Hohum - more slogans. (I mean the "Blame America First" stuff - more Foxisms?)

Any actual informed comment?

(I really do not mean to derail the thread here - if nobody has informed comment, please just forget it - it was always a divergence - I was just curious)
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 10:33 am
Well Dlowan, if you are convinced that right-wingers could not possibly come to their opinions, observations, conclusions without being influenced by Fox News, pray tell what influences your opinions, observations, and conclusions so that we can see why you think what you think?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 10:37 am
It's obviously Fox News. I hear much more about Fox News from liberals than I actually do from Fox News.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 10:40 am
I think it's comical that someone would deride Fox for partisanship while seeking corroboration for a story on Salon.com. Laughing
0 Replies

WhoodaThunk

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 10:51 am
bookmark
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 10:52 am
yeah really, I may start reading Salon.com to find out what I'm missing. But then I am pretty satisfied with my Weekly Reader.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 10:55 am
Blame America First preceded Fox News.

Geez, that pitiful lone note---tiring.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 11:06 am
Quote:
Geez, that pitiful lone note---tiring.

I agree, I have been trying to say that for a while now.

How long has fox news been on the air? I know it's been longer than Bush started the war with Iraq and that is about when I first started hearing the term.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 11:12 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Well Dlowan, if you are convinced that right-wingers could not possibly come to their opinions, observations, conclusions without being influenced by Fox News, pray tell what influences your opinions, observations, and conclusions so that we can see why you think what you think?

If there was a quote that so called liberal used in this forum and then all the sudden you read the exact same quote from a liberal conference, it would be logical to think something odd about it.

I know it surprised me, like I said I thought it was something someone here thought up and it just caught on like the term, usual suspects.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 11:13 am
It just seems that any person, entity, talk show, or news source that does not regularly and consistently damn the right will be automatically damned by the left. Therefore, though Fox news pretty well presents all the news, it will be damned by the left because it dares to present good news along with the bad and, even worse, actually gives a right winger credit for the good news now and then. Among the left wing media, that is unforgiveable.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 11:14 am
Addendum to previous post: In no instance in American current events is that more apparent than in coverage of our efforts in Iraq.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 11:19 am
Revel writes
Quote:
If there was a quote that so called liberal used in this forum and then all the sudden you read the exact same quote from a liberal conference, it would be logical to think something odd about it.

I presume you will be evenhanded about this and acknowledge that the same phrases are glaringly apparent on all the alphabet networks and repeated consistently by Democrat operatives before any microphone they can find, and all are right out of the Democrat playbook? Sometime force yourself to watch or listen to a right-leaning program when they are presenting some of these montages of various talking heads and Dem representatives. It's pretty funny sometimes.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 11:20 am
deb

Fox has this right. But it is a species of 'sarcasm' akin to a biker gang pouring a refreshingly cold beer on someone they've just murdered on a summer afternoon with some comment about thirst-quenching.

Further in to the article, this quote comes up...
Quote:
Paul Craig Roberts, assistant secretary of the treasury during the Reagan administration and associate editor of the Wall Street Journal's far-right editorial page, published a damning column in the progressive Z Magazine about fascist tendencies in the conservative movement. "In the ranks of the new conservatives, however, I see and experience much hate. It comes to me in violently worded, ignorant and irrational emails from self-professed conservatives who literally worship George Bush," he wrote. "Even Christians have fallen into idolatry. There appears to be a large number of Americans who are prepared to kill anyone for George Bush … Like Brownshirts, the new conservatives take personally any criticism of their leader and his policies. To be a critic is to be an enemy."
If anyone wonders why someone like Gannon could gain post 9-11 security clearance for WH briefings while Maureen Dowd could not, they only need look to whom this administration defines as 'enemy'.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 11:27 am
Quote:
"We were long since a great power, we were quite used to it, and it did not make us as happy as we had expected. The feeling that it had not made us more attractive, that our relation to the world was rather worsened than improved, lay, unconfessed, deep in our hearts...War then, and if needs must, war against everybody, to convince everybody and to win. We were bursting with the consciousness that this was Germany's century, that history was holding her hand out over us; that after Spain, France, England, it was our turn to put our stamp on the world and be its leader; that the twentieth centurey was ours."

thomas mann, on the spirit of Aug 1914 in germany
0 Replies

revel

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 11:40 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Revel writes
Quote:

I presume you will be evenhanded about this and acknowledge that the same phrases are glaringly apparent on all the alphabet networks and repeated consistently by Democrat operatives before any microphone they can find, and all are right out of the Democrat playbook? Sometime force yourself to watch or listen to a right-leaning program when they are presenting some of these montages of various talking heads and Dem representatives. It's pretty funny sometimes.

I don't watch the news on TV, alphabets or fox or cnn (which btw are alphabets..) anymore, I quit towards the end of the last election in the US. I get my news on the internet, I probably miss a lot but it is better on my nerves. Mostly I go straight to yahoo then I have various web sites alerts that I subscribe to that I check out sometimes.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 11:58 am
To catch revel up--

Blame America First AND usual suspects have been around for decades.

Carry on...
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 11:58 am
lib·er·al Audio pronunciation of "liberal" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (lbr-l, lbrl)
adj.

1. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
2. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.
3. Of, relating to, or characteristic of liberalism.
4. Liberal Of, designating, or characteristic of a political party founded on or associated with principles of social and political liberalism, especially in Great Britain, Canada, and the United States.
1. Tending to give freely; generous: a liberal benefactor.
2. Generous in amount; ample: a liberal serving of potatoes.
3. Not strict or literal; loose or approximate: a liberal translation.
4. Of, relating to, or based on the traditional arts and sciences of a college or university curriculum: a liberal education.

-----------------------------------

con·ser·va·tive Audio pronunciation of "Conservative" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kn-sûrv-tv)
adj.

1. Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change.
2. Traditional or restrained in style: a conservative dark suit.
3. Moderate; cautious: a conservative estimate.
1. Of or relating to the political philosophy of conservatism.
2. Belonging to a conservative party, group, or movement.
5. Conservative Of or belonging to the Conservative Party in the United Kingdom or the Progressive Conservative Party in Canada.
6. Conservative Of or adhering to Conservative Judaism.
7. Tending to conserve; preservative: the conservative use of natural resources.

Labels are used to define what people think is right.
I wasn't sure what the differences are beteen a 'liberal' and a 'conservative' so I looked it up.
Yep, I'm a liberal.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 12:19 pm
Except the definitions you posted are the classical definitions, Geli, and bear little resemblance to the realities of neo-conservatism and/or neo-liberalism.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 19 Feb, 2005 12:21 pm
Mayhap we should trade them for Idealist and Realist...? I think those have globally accepted definitions.
0 Replies