Is the world being destroyed?

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2021 05:13 pm
@The Anointed,
I don't think you invented anything but air. Blowing air.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2021 06:41 pm
@The Anointed,
The Anointed wrote:

It's people like myself, who created heavier than air flying machines, while people like you, created parachutes. No faith old mate.

Actually it was people like me, who know mathematics and believe in sciience, who created airplanes.

You don't get to claim that. People of faith have a long history of being anti science, and humans don't fly without science.
The Anointed

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2021 08:10 pm
@maxdancona,
And humans don't normally jump out of airplanes without a parachute.
But I will agree with you that there are those who claim to have faith in God's word, but who do not, like the universal church (Catholic) who put their faith in the traditions of their church, rather than in the holy scriptures.

One of the great losses suffered by humanity occurred about 390 AD, when Theophilos, the Bishop of Alexandria, an anti-science fanatic, ordered the destruction of 'WHAT WAS LEFT' of one of the Seven Wonders of the World. The great library in which one of the most comprehensive collections of the accumulated knowledge of man had been gathered, with departments on Astronomy, Astrology, History, Mathematics, Medicine, poetry and all the arts etc,

This action, was the introduction to one of the darkest ages of man. Afraid of the terrible persecution by the universal church against any and all who would indulge in the Pagan practice of the scientific study into the workings of the universe, which results of that unholy act of heresy challenged the authority of the church and brought into disrepute their sacred teachings, such as, the fact that their flat earth that was the center around which revolved the entire universe that was created only some ten thousand years ago and was created in six literal 24 hour days etc.

It was only when he was on his death- bed in the 16th century, that Nicolaus Copernicus dared to publish his sun-centered model of the universe and Galileo Galilei, who was constantly in conflict with the church, skillfully arguing with the church authorities for Copernicus views, finally died under house arrest as a prisoner of the Inquisition.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2021 08:31 pm
@The Anointed,
Most people who put their faith in the holy scriptures reject science.

Evolution is accepted science. Most people who claim to have "faith in God's word" reject it. You also seem to be having trouble accepting science of covid.

If you believe that God will break the laws of science to kill all humans with in a holy rage, then science doesn't matter does it.
The Anointed

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2021 09:27 pm
@maxdancona,
Not all young fellow. Some believe that this universe was created from the eternal which has neither beginning or End, which your scientists have later validated. Some believe that the eternal energy which can never be created and can never be destroyed, which was spewed out in the trillions upon trillions of degrees when the singularity of origin was spatially separated in the event called 'The Big Bang' has become this universe and all the life forms herein,

As Paul revealed when he said that the eternal who has neither beginning or end, has manifested itself as this universal body,

Some believe the scriptures, which state that the planets of our solar system were created before our sun, as our scientists were to later validate, as with the fact that life had begun to evolve on this super hot earth with its noxious atmosphere before the sun burst in light and life.

Do you know how many scientists in the world put their faith in the holy scriptures?

And some of us believe in the eternal evolving universe.

“According to the ancients, we live in an eternal oscillating universe that expands outward and contracts back to its beginning in space time. A universe that exists in the two states of seemingly visible matter and invisible energy.”

“Universe after universe is like an interminable succession of wheels forever coming into view, forever rolling onwards, disappearing and reappearing; forever passing from being too non-being, and again from non-being to being. In short, the constant revolving of the wheel of life in one eternal cycle, according to fixed and immutable laws, is perhaps after all, the sum and substance of the philosophy of Buddhism. And this eternal wheel has so to speak, six spokes representing six forms of existence.” ---- Mon. Williams, Buddhism, pp. 229, 122.

The days and nights of Brahma are called Manvantara, or the cycle of manifestation, ‘The Great Day,’ which is a period of universal activity, that is preceded, and also followed by ‘Pralaya,’ a dark period, which to our finite minds would seem as an eternity, or but a moment in time.

‘Manvantara,’ is a creative day, a period of universal activity of light and life, as seen in the six days of creation in Genesis. ‘Pralaya,’ is the evening that proceeds the next creative day, and is seen as the period of rest for the “GREAT THOUGHT’. The six periods of Creation and the seventh day of rest in which we now exist, are referred to in the book of Genesis 2: 4; as the “GENERATIONS OF THE UNIVERSE.”

The English word “Generation,” is translated from the Hebrew “toledoth,” which is used in the Old Testament in every instance as ‘births,’ or ‘descendants,’ such as “These are the generations of Adam,” or “these are the generations of Abraham, and Genesis 2: 4; it is written concerning the six days of creation; “These are the generations of the Universe or the heavens and earth, etc.” And the ‘Great Day’ in which the seven generations of the universe are eternally repeated, is the eternal cosmic period, or the eighth eternal day in which those who attain to perfection, are allowed to enter, where they shall be surrounded by great light and they shall experience eternal peace, while those who do not attain to perfection are cast back into the refining fires of the seven physical cycles of endless rebirths that perpetually revolve within the eighth eternal cosmic cycle.

To the Hindu, Lord Krishnu, the ‘EIGHTH’ manifestation, or rather, the eighth descendant of Vishnu the savior, is the Supreme Personality to have developed within Brahman.

Enoch the righteous, wrote that God created an ‘EIGHTH’ day also, so that it should be the first after his works, and it is a day eternal with neither hours, days, weeks, months or years, for all time is stuck together in one aeon, etc, etc, and all who enter into the generation of the Light beings, are able to visit all those worlds that still exist in Space-Time, but not in our time.

A series of worlds following one upon the other-- each world rising a step higher than the previous world, so that every later world brings to ripeness the seeds that were imbedded in the former, and itself then prepares the seed for the universe that will follow it.

maxdancona

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2021 09:52 pm
@The Anointed,
There are lots of times where science directly contradicts a literal understanding of the Bible starting in Genesis chapter 1. Each of of have to choose which to believe.

I was a biblical Christian in my twenties. I studied the Bible daily personally and formally, including taking formal classes in ministry.

I also studied Physics. For a while I tried to reconcile the two. More and more I found it simply can not be done.

I then tried to take the view of the Bible not being literal..
but that seemed futile. If I am changing my understanding of the Bible based on what I learn from science, then what's the point?
The Anointed

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2021 11:12 pm
@maxdancona,
Please reveal where you believe that science directly contradicts a literal understanding of the Bible?

I too was a student of modern and ancient scriptures in my early teens and remain so at the age of 80.

As you will notice in my previous post.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2021 11:20 pm
@The Anointed,
The Anointed wrote:

Please reveal where you believe that science directly contradicts a literal understanding of the Bible?

I too was a biblical student in my early teens and remain so at the age of 80.

Waiting with bated breath
The Anointed

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2021 11:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
Be careful what you bait your breath with mate, it may turn out to be repulsive rather that attractive.
0 Replies

The Anointed

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2021 11:29 pm
@maxdancona,
What laws of science demands that God cannot destroy the bodies of all humans. Flesh and blood cannot inherit his spiritual kingdom old mate, and as the minds=spirits that develop in those bodies can only receive that which they believe, then those that die, die according to their own wish.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2021 03:20 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Actually it was people like me, who know mathematics and believe in sciience, who created airplanes.

maxdancona wrote:
...trillions and trillions of mosquitos have died every day since long before the advent of the industrial age.

0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2021 03:58 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
You are exaggerating the crisis far beyond what any reputable scientific organization is saying.

I'm not exaggerating anything. I'm posting what people say about the crisis, some from scientists, some from environmentalists, some from reporters and journalists.

Quote:
No, climate change will not end human life.

First thing, I am not making that prediction. I think the only one in this discussion who is predicting anything like that is an uninvited and unwelcome bible thumper. But, on the other hand, you don't know that the consequences of climate change (and industrial pollution) won't end human life. You're just basing your conclusion on another prediction, one that humans will either meet the challenge or muddle through. (In your case this seems to be based on your anthropocentric "up with people" ideology.) Since the human-induced climate crisis is still unfolding we don't know what all the ramifications will be. Your guess is no more likely than that of the doomsters.

Quote:
No, civilization will not crash.

I don't know what you mean by "civilization" or "crash". But it doesn't seem likely that the "way of life" we've come to enjoy in wealthy advanced countries can continue. Have you considered what would happen to our way of life if we no longer have access to, for instance, cheap food from a supermarket or unlimited amounts of fresh water from a municipal tap? What about the effects of widescale loss of insect pollinators, the deleterious health effects from microplastics and "forever" chemicals, the increasing cost of cooling our living spaces? Dealing with climate change and environmental crises will be very, very costly. I think you're just refusing to consider that anything will change because human beings aren't going to go extinct and that's all you care about.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2021 03:17 am
Life-threatening extreme heat set to trap millions indoors by 2060

Quote:
ROME (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - Extreme heat and humidity are increasing across the globe, threatening millions of lives and economies in places where it could become fatal to work outdoors, scientists said on Friday.

Parts of Australia, India, Bangladesh, the Persian Gulf, China, Mexico and the United States have experienced hundreds of previously rare incidents of extreme heat and humidity since 1979, said the study in the journal Science Advances.

These punishing conditions have lasted only one to two hours but climate change is likely to prolong them to about six hours at a time by 2060 and expand the affected areas, lead author Colin Raymond told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

“That’s kind of a conservative estimate but that’s still earlier than anyone else had projected,” said Raymond, who did the research as a PhD student at Columbia University and now works for NASA.

Moist, humid conditions make it harder for people to sweat away excess heat, leading to health risks including heat stroke, which can kill or disable victims who go untreated, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Many scientists are examining the potential increase in extreme heat and its impact on economies and health, with mental health problems set to soar as people have trouble sleeping and working.

Limiting warming to 1.5C above pre-industrial times is the most ambitious goal of the 2015 Paris Agreement on climate change and world temperatures have already risen by 1.2C.

A separate paper published this week by the Netherland’s Wageningen University warned of “near-unlivable” heat of above 29 degrees Celsius (84.2°F) for a third of humanity by 2070.

In the Columbia University-led study, data from nearly 8,000 weather stations showed readings approaching or exceeding 30C have doubled since 1979, and two - in the Persian Gulf and Pakistan’s Indus River Valley - reported values above 35C.

“We may be closer to a real tipping point on this than we think,” Radley Horton, co-author and climate scientist at Columbia’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, said in a statement.

The highest readings were in parts of Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates, home to some 3 million people.

Surviving in these conditions would require adapting buildings to provide shade and cooling and human behaviour, which includes minimising outdoor labour, said Raymond.

This could severely disrupt farming and commerce, with many poor people unable to afford air conditioning, said Horton.

The study focused on “wet bulb” temperatures, which scientists say reflect the combined effects of temperature and humidity, a more useful indicator of heat stress.

Russian heatwaves in 2010, with temperatures of nearly 40C which killed tens of thousands of people, experienced wet bulb temperatures “no greater than 28C”, the paper said.

reuters
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 06:13 am
All of a sudden: Climate change tipping points appear with a vengeance

Quote:
(...)

Will we humans rally and address this and other looming climate threats? Some will try and even try very hard. But to truly reverse climate change now so late in the game would require draconian measures that few people would tolerate. For those who say that we will adapt, we now have an emerging picture of just what that adaptation involves. For many “adaptation” will simply mean ruin. For the truly unlucky, it will mean death.

resiliance

Can't say we weren't warned.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 06:44 am
It looks increasingly to me as though they will not muster the will to fight global warming until they have exhausted every means of avoidance. Can humans ultimately survive what's coming? Who knows?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 06:49 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

It looks increasingly to me as though they will not muster the will to fight global warming until they have exhausted every means of avoidance. Can humans ultimately survive what's coming? Who knows?

Just to point out... Here we have another clear example of the idea thar we are facing the end of the human race.

Tbere is a big difference between moralistic hand wringing, and these apocalyptic prophecies of doom.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 07:13 am
Some prefer to sit on the deck of the Titanic and listen to the orchestra.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 07:35 am
@edgarblythe,
Exactly today, the scientists have spoken again, louder and clearer than ever before. But some really prefer to listen instead to the Titanic's orchestra's "Nearer, My God, to Thee" instead of acting.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 07:42 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Exactly today, the scientists have spoken again, louder and clearer than ever before. But some really prefer to listen instead to the Titanic's orchestra's "Nearer, My God, to Thee" instead of acting.

This is simply a lie.

Science is not predicting the end of the world. There is no credible scientific organization predicting the end of the human race or even the collapse of civilization.

These Titanic anaolgies are bullshit. I expect better from you, Walter.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 08:00 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

This is simply a lie.
I admit that I should have have boiled down the report to the better single message: we are running out of time.

Speaking of a lie. where did I say/write that science was predicting the end of the world?

And why exactly are these Titanic analogies are bullshit? I think it sounds better than the IPCC’s "guilty as hell".
0 Replies