Is the world being destroyed?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 08:04 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I expect better from you, Walter.
I don't think I'm going to make you a solemn promise to do better in the future.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 08:30 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
These Titanic anaolgies are bullshit.

Not really. Many deemed the craft "unsinkable". Material reality proved differently – and the party ended.

Quote:
Science is not predicting the end of the world.

Just as expected, maxdancona demonstrates that he perceives no difference between warnings and predictions.

Quote:
There is no credible scientific organization predicting the end of the human race or even the collapse of civilization.

Civilization is fragile. Human beings themselves are more resilient than their created institutions but the cultural and economic networks which sustain modern civilization may very well suffer irreparable harm. Certainly people will die, either from the direct effects of climate change or in conflicts and economic upheavals driven by climate change. Certainly the economic efficiency of our economy will be affected. Certainly the toll on wildlife will be devastating, much more devastating than the effects of the Industrial Age that have already led to the extinction of thousands of species.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 08:45 am
I don't have to argue my positions. Science is doing it for me.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 09:02 am
This entire ridiculous thread is based on gross exagerations of climate change-- compliete with silly comparisons to the Titatanic, fearful talk of "trigger points" and dancing around the idea that the "world is being destroyed".

The Science says that the world is facing climate change. The temperature will increase. The oceans will rise some amount (and have already rison). There will be some disruptions to food paterns, some displacement of people and some difficulties going forward. The science says we are in the middle of a mass extinction event caused by humans.

The Science does not say that humanity is going to end. Science does not say that civilizations are going to crumble. Science does not say that most of the planet will be uninhabitable. Science does not say that most of animal life will end... or that we are going to kill all of the pollinators... or any of the other apocolyptic visions spread by this silly thread.

All I am saying is that we need to separate science from science fiction.

The Titanic was doomed. It sank and was unable to ever support human life again. The Earth is not doomed (according to science)....

If you want to stick with this silly Titanic analogy, we should be building lifeboats.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 09:03 am
There is this ridiculous contradiction here,

Everyone is saying "Oh No! No one predicting the end of the world", and then they spend pages and pages talking about the Titanic.

This thread is pushing an apocolypic vision of doom. I wish people would just own up to it.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 09:15 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
The Science says that the world is facing climate change. The temperature will increase. The oceans will rise some amount (and have already rison). There will be some disruptions to food paterns, some displacement of people and some difficulties going forward. The science says we are in the middle of a mass extinction event caused by humans.

The Science does not say that humanity is going to end.
If you would read instead of just repeating your own sayings:
Science says that "the planet is in mortal danger – and its inhabitants with it".

IPCC wrote:
The planet is in mortal danger and with it its inhabitants.
Source
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 09:18 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
If you want to stick with this silly Titanic analogy, we should be building lifeboats.
To avoid a situation where sinking is possible and better navigational skills would be better ideas.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 09:22 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Cute, Walter. But now we are getting somewhere. I want you to answer this simple question; 'yes' or 'no'

Do you believe that the science says there is a realistic chance that human civilization will end on earth in the next century due to climate change?

If this is what you are saying... then own up to it. (before you seemed to be denying it).
hightor

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 09:22 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Everyone is saying "Oh No! No one predicting the end of the world", and then they spend pages and pages talking about the Titanic.

As far as Titanic analogies go, the world remained after the party ended. You don't seem to understand the difference. The world will continue; the human and biological world will suffer from the disruptions caused by effects of industrialization, as has been predicted for decades.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 09:24 am
@hightor,
1. The science clearly says that humanity will "suffer". We all agree that humanity will face negative impacts from climate change.

2. This thread seems to be saying that human civilization may "end".

These are two very different things. One is supported by science. The other is an apocalyptic fantasy.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 09:33 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Do you believe that the science says there is a realistic chance that human civilization will end on earth in the next century due to climate change?
I don't think that serious scientists - like those who wrote the report - make exact termination dates, especially, because it is a 'projection'. (See: "Chapter 4 - Future global climate: scenario-based projections and near-term information.")
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 09:35 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
1. The science clearly says that humanity will "suffer". We all agree that humanity will face negative impacts from climate change.
Actually, the exact quote is "mortal danger" and not suffer.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 09:44 am
@Walter Hinteler,
1. There is not a single scientifically reputible organization stating that the end of human civilization due to climate change is a possibility.

2, You are being silly with your "moral danger" quote. You have fixated on a single phrase that has no scientific meaning. There is nowhere that the IPCC predicts the possible end of civilization from climate change.

3. You still haven't answered the question directly. Can I assume that (inspite of the lack of any scientific institution saying so) that you believe that the end of human civilization from climate change is a real possibility?

Let's separate the actual science from the apocolypic visions of doom. It is cuious how many movie references we get on this thread... they are pushing science fiction rather than science.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 09:47 am
"Mortal danger" seems pretty dire to me. The ones that survive it will be hardy to the extreme.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 09:59 am
@maxdancona,
You say, max, that you are a scientist.
My "silly quote" is a direct quote from the report. They don't say - as far as I've read - that humanity will suffer but did name it differently, namely "mortal danger". (See report)

I do believe that the end of human civilisation from climate change is a real possibility as does the IPPC - which is according to you no scientifically reputable organisation. (What about the 195 organisations making up the IPPC?)
maxdancona

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 10:06 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

I do believe that the end of human civilisation from climate change is a real possibility as does the IPPC - which is according to you no scientifically reputable organisation. (What about the organisation making up the IPPC?)

1. Good. You do believe that "the end of human from climate change is a real possibility". You answered the question directly as I asked.

2. Do you have any evidence that the IPCC actually believes that the "end of human civilization is a real possibility other than taking two words out of context from an introductory paragraph?

You are in mortal danger of being ridiculous.

hightor

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 10:08 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
2. This thread seems to be saying that human civilization may "end".

Human civilization and human existence are two very different things. Civilization, as we know it, might very well end – or turn into something so unlike what we've known for the past 250 years that it would be unrecognizable. No one here is claiming that "human civilization will end, because we can't predict how a complex relationship between many different physical and social factors will play out. One person here, however, does claim to know the future. maxdancona apparently "knows" that human civilization will not end. No reputable scientist, looking at the data, would come to that conclusion. "May, might, and maybe" are are useful words. You should learn what they mean and how to use them.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 10:13 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
2. Do you have any evidence that the IPCC actually believes that the "end of human civilization is a real possibility other than taking two words out of context from an introductory paragraph?
Please quote the correct context - I only could rely on the published version of the report. (1300 pages were perhaps a bit to difficult for me to get the correct context.)
maxdancona

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 10:23 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Do you consider covid-19 to be a mortal danger to the inhabitants of the planet?

Your twisting of words out of context is the silliest part of your support for this apocalypic prophecy of doom. This is just another religious argument with silly textual parsing to determine whether the Virgin Mary had children.

You are making a religious argument, not a scientific one.

The IPCC makes a lot of specific predictions that they state directly. They state the range of expected temperature increases. They state directly the expected rise in ocean levels.

They never make this apocolyptic prediction of the end of human civilization.

hightor

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2021 10:39 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Do you consider covid-19 to be a mortal danger to the inhabitants of the planet?

Do you simply write off the over 4 million humans who have already died from covid-19? I'd say, yes, people are in mortal danger from diseases which may kill them. That's why I wear a mask and avoid crowds.

Quote:
They never make this apocolyptic prediction of the end of human civilization.

They can't. They can point to various trends which could drastically change the parameters which support human civilization.

You, on the other hand, try to claim that human civilization will not end. But you provide no facts to back up that prediction. You are the one making the "religious" argument.
0 Replies