snood

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2015 05:43 pm
Great article, Ed. Just for the record, I have never "dismissed" Sanders. I haven't been as impressed with him as others and I doubt his viability in the general, but if he beats Clinton I'd surely be behind him. Or Biden.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 07:19 am
Bernie interviewed about RNC debate by Al Sharpton.

https://youtu.be/iiK6VrPikKs
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 12:28 pm
@Lash,
Bernie's best hope is to get Hillary in a debate on national TV.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 12:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Bernie's best hope is to get Hillary in a debate on national TV.

I dont see how Hillary can duck a debate. And it is not in her interest to do so, nor is it in the D's interest to have the optics that Hillary does not need to work for the nomination, even though that was the way it was intended to go.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 12:38 pm
@Lash,
This guy is good... Really good. He will indeed pulverize Clinton in a debate.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 05:40 pm
@hawkeye10,
I think it is so deeply important for her to avoid a debate that she will find a way.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 05:43 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

I think it is so deeply important for her to avoid a debate that she will find a way.

the scars of obama?
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 05:43 pm
She will not avoid a debate...

...and he will not "pulverize" her.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 05:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
I didn't watch enough of Obama and Clinton to answer that capably, but rule #1 is the front runner doesn't stand on an equal footing with the challenger - it suddenly gives them gravitas or increased stature just to be there with you.

2. Bernie is dying for name recognition. She has it - he doesn't - polls show that as he gets it, her numbers drop and his rise. She knows he can't pay for airtime, so a debate is the biggest (free) chance he has to get his name and ideas out there.

3. As smart as she is, he is smarter.

4. His policies and her faults would rout her to hell.

She'll feign something to get out of it. And her followers are as corrupt as she is. She'll get away with it.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 05:57 pm
She will not avoid a debate...

...and he will not "pulverize" her.

Anyone thinking that is a Sanders supporter having daydreams.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 06:36 pm
I think that way this goes is that Hillary has to debate at least once now that she needs to show respect for the voters who support Sanders, though she never intended to need to do a debate. I think she will get to pick the rules, and her rules will have her coming out looking fine.
Lash

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 06:44 pm
@hawkeye10,
I do know people say she will write the rules of the debate - and that she'll pick the ones that favor her - but honestly. I can't figure out any rules that wouldn't allow Bernie to show his superiority.

Can you think of debate rules that would impede his ability to show the difference between them?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 06:52 pm
@Lash,
Sure, any rules that play up emotion and play down intellect. Hillary can play the warm human for short periods, and the clintons time after time go for short circuiting the brain with emotion. My understanding is that Sanders almost cant do the personal anecdote, Hillary should write rules that plays up her ability to do it well (having learned at least this much from Bill). If she does it correctly Sanders will come off as the cold egghead, he might be smart (like Obama) but we dont relate to him as a leader (like Obama). Paint sanders as a cold fish or as another professor and he is done. It should be easy to get Sanders right where she wants him, he has never been very good at politics.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 06:55 pm
Once a debater has the microphone, they don't have to stick to any script if they feel their points are being stifled. The moderators may call them on it, but I have seen it happen this way before.
roger

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 07:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, you keep repeating yourself, and not just this topic. That isn't going to make it true.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 07:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Once a debater has the microphone, they don't have to stick to any script if they feel their points are being stifled. The moderators may call them on it, but I have seen it happen this way before.
points is all intellect, and intellect is only a small part of what we get out of debates. We also get the emotion, maybe feel a connection, we read non verbal clues.

I think Hillary plays up a story that she is the only one of either party who can be trusted with the military, and she goes back to the clinton well of identity politics +triangulation+sell victim culture.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 07:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
Very cogent answer. Didn't think about the slick, short soundbite that Bernie couldn't meet - but he's not that guy, you're right.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 07:34 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Very cogent answer. Didn't think about the slick, short soundbite that Bernie couldn't meet - but he's not that guy, you're right.

You still dont get it.....Hillary will glee to run out into the audience to hand out hugs, and Sanders wont. There is a reason why George Bush could win and we dont see position papers anymore....we are as a people controlled by emotion. Victim culture won. All hillary needs to do is connect to the people, at that point Sanders could be the genius who has all the right ideas to fix things and no one would care.
snood

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 07:38 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Lash wrote:

You still dont get it.....Hillary will glee to run out into the audience to hand out hugs, and Sanders wont. There is a reason why George Bush could win and we dont see position papers anymore....we are as a people controlled by emotion. Victim culture won. All hillary needs to do is connect to the people, at that point Sanders could be the genius who has all the right ideas to fix things and no one would care.

But Hillary is known to be a cold fish when up close and personal. I wouldn't sell Sanders short in a debate. His strong populist talking points might be big crowd pleasers.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 8 Aug, 2015 07:42 pm
What Bernie has in his favor is that he is the only candidate on both sides with a program like this. Clinton even is nowhere close.
http://www.sanders.senate.gov/agenda/
0 Replies