GOP Presidential Runners 2016 - in a Venn Diagram

Reply Wed 27 May, 2015 04:04 pm
https://espnfivethirtyeight.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/silver-datalab-gopcandidate-venn-santorum.png

From this

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/rick-santorums-2016-bid-shows-just-how-far-the-gop-field-has-come/

maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 May, 2015 05:51 pm
This implies that it is impossible to be a moderate Christian Conservative, or a moderate Tea Party member.

I am not sure I accept this model of the world.

hingehead

Reply Wed 27 May, 2015 06:00 pm
@maxdancona,
Or it may be based on the actual current candidates and if there was someone who had those attributes the size and position of the circles would change.

Sigh.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 27 May, 2015 06:22 pm
@maxdancona,
He's not saying being Christian Conservative is impossible. He's saying there are currently no Christian Conservative candidates.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 06:35 am

Cool. Is Jindal running?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 03:22 pm
Ha . . . this place cracks me up. How can a conservative be a moderate anything? English rarely spoken here . . .
maxdancona

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 04:31 pm
@Setanta,
If you live in a world of extremes... then everyone who disagrees with you is an extremist.

Many of us accept that there are a wide range of reasonable positions, and that decent people can disagree respectfully without acrimony. I have friends who are moderate conservatives.
Setanta

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 04:34 pm
@maxdancona,
"Moderate conservatives" . . . ah-hahahahahahahahahahaha . . . you crack me up. You'll try to turn any thread into a pissing contest, won't ya Max?
maxdancona

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 08:28 pm
@Setanta,
You like to start pissing threads. I like contests. Pissing contests are the natural result.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 09:03 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
This implies that it is impossible to be a moderate Christian Conservative, or a moderate Tea Party member.
I am not sure I accept this model of the world.

Here is what they have to say about the matter:

"Some wings overlap more with others. For instance, a candidate could easily have a lot of appeal to both tea party and libertarian voters. But it's unlikely that one candidate would simultaneously be the choice of both Christian conservatives and moderate voters."
http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/romney-and-the-gops-five-ring-circus/

"Other coalitions -- those that do not overlap on the diagram -- are unlikely to make for natural pairings. For instance, it is hard to conceive of a candidate who would simultaneously be the ideal choice for both moderate Republicans and the religious right."
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-viable-is-rand-paul-for-2016/
maxdancona

Reply Thu 28 May, 2015 09:09 pm
@oralloy,
I know someone who is strongly anti-abortion-- feels that abortion is deeply immoral and should be outlawed in almost every case. This same person is fine with gay marriage. I suspect that there is a measurable number of people who are like this.

Where would this person fit in this Venn diagram?

A Venn diagram implies a mathematical model of voters. I don't buy it.

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2015 08:06 pm
@hingehead,
Where would Trump be on this? A sixth circle called 'nutjob'?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2015 08:31 pm
@hingehead,
Dante Alighieri, has there ever been a better name? just ask in a bar in Bologna.
Not that I know, though I have been there, but my ital teacher studied there, while being from Padova, and told me about the gatherings of Dante folks, that she so enjoyed.

Oh, wait, back to to trumpet man.
0 Replies