Lash

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 02:12 pm
An even-handed piece by Shaun King re Kaine.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/news/politics/king-kaine-pick-shows-democrats-aren-welcoming-progressives-article-1.2722927?client=safari#
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 02:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Hours Before Hillary Clinton’s VP Decision, Likely Pick Tim Kaine Praises the TPP

Tim Kaine, Possible Hillary Clinton Pick for Vice President, Goes to Bat for Banks

- Two reasons I don't like this choice for VP.

Hitlary's legacy should one day land her face on the back of a $20 dollar bill.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 02:47 pm
Bernie Sanders: cheated by Clinton and her cronies at the DNC. What Bernie supporters knew all along.

Yay, lawsuit.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_579381fbe4b02d5d5ed1d157
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 05:38 am
Under pressure from Bernie Sanders, Democrats poised to change how they pick nominees
Source: LATimes.com

The final deal approved by the rules committee on Saturday will create a commission that will draft changes to the superdelegate system. Only elected officials would be allowed to be superdelegates, reducing their numbers by two-thirds.

"We have to hang together, or we might hang separately," said Arthur Cheliotes, a labor leader and Sanders delegate from New York.

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas), who had resisted changes to the superdelegate system earlier in the day, also supported the amendment.

African American members of Congress have often argued to leave the system in place because it helps give minorities a greater voice in the nomination process.

Read more: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-bernie-sanders-democratic-rules-20160722-snap-story.html
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 05:44 am
I think there's going to be a fracas at the convention. They lied about chairs flying previously, but I think chairs will fly this time.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 05:50 am
@Lash,
I'm not so sure there will be one inside the hall, but who knows what'll happen outside.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 02:07 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

push it Lash!
push that boat out!

I like him and his views, and I'd love him to get some serious support.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 07:02 pm
Will this be Bernie Sanders speech at the convention?

0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 08:07 pm
Have you ever heard a retarded lady speak before? Keep tuned in and you will hear an ethically retarder lady speak.

Lash

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2016 08:19 pm
http://nypost.com/2016/07/24/emails-show-dems-trying-to-slant-coverage-against-sanders/

Collusion between reporters and Hillary's DNC.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 05:29 pm
@snood,
If Bernie drew his political motivation from a desire for the political limelight, his political career would have looked very differently. It would have been quite easy for him to garner more of that limelight earlier on if he'd wanted, instead of only getting it to his own surprise during what had seemed like a quixotic campaign in his old age. Instead he quite consistently traced his own path in the margins of congressional politics,eschewing plenty of chances to ease his way into greater party prominence in favour of remaining that principled but fairly isolated, radical political independent, supporting democrats semi from the outside. That's not the path someone who was only interested in the limelight would have chosen. I think Bernie will prove this assumption of yours wrong, and from what I've understood reading up, his speech at the convention indicated so as well.
snood

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 05:32 pm
@nimh,
If you're right everyone wins. I hope you're right about him.
nimh

Reply Mon 25 Jul, 2016 05:53 pm
@snood,
I always hope I'm right too, though I can't guarantee much about whether I ever am. :-)
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 09:02 am
Bernie Sanders unifies the Democratic Party. Bernie Sanders moved that the convention suspends the procedural rules and moved that all votes cast by delegates be reflected in the official record and moved that Hillary Clinton be selected as the nominee of the Democratic party for President of the United State. This was a unifying moment for the Democratic party.

revelette2

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 11:43 am
@Real Music,
Yes he did, that was a good moment. It was also good there were no boos afterwards. The DNC convention so far is not turning out not as a big as a disaster as I thought it would be.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 12:12 pm
@nimh,
I'm inclined to agree with you about Sen. Sanders likely motivations. It is worth remembering that at the outset of the primary campaign Sanders appeared to be merely an innocuous, non threatening, but necessary competitor (to disguise the crowning of the annointed successor), and one who would merely provide some comic relief and cover on the extreme left. Sanders was then very careful to mute any criticisms of his opponent. I don't think he or any other political observers expected the enthusiasm his expressed views would generate. I believe it would be inhuman to expect that Sanders, or anyone else in his position, would not be moved and energized by that response. Even with all that, his campaign remarks were notably free of the personal attacks that are too often a part of such campaigns. Sanders truly touched a chord of discord and desire on the part of Democrat constituents, much as Donald Trump has done among Republicans. In a Democracy there's nothing to regret about that.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 12:12 pm
Right after the moment of unity, some berners exited the building and went to a sit in in a media tent.

Sanders loyalists bash Clinton nomination, clash with police

Quote:
PHILADELPHIA — Bernie Sanders loyalists protested inside and outside the Democratic National Convention site and clashed with police on Tuesday after Hillary Clinton won the party's presidential nomination.

Despite Sanders' calls for them to support Clinton, thousands of activists have taken to the streets during the convention this week to voice support for the liberal Vermont U.S. senator and his progressive agenda.

Moments after Clinton became the first woman to be nominated for president by a major U.S. political party, a large group of Sanders delegates and supporters exited the Philadelphia convention site to hold a sit-in inside a media tent. Some had their mouths taped shut. A few spontaneously sang the chorus of the folk song "This Land is Your Land," and a banner read "we the people." They said they were holding a peaceful protest to complain about being shut out by the Democratic Party.

"This was not a convention. This was a four-day Hillary party. And we weren't welcome," said Liz Maratea, a New Jersey delegate at the media tent protest. "We were treated like lepers."

In the streets outside, Sanders supporters who had spent the day protesting began facing off with police. Protesters began scaling 8-foot walls blocking off the secure zone around the arena parking lot, and several were detained. An officer sprayed one of the protesters.

Unmoved by Sanders' plea for party unity, the Bernie or Bust protesters walked miles in the stifling heat again Tuesday to make their case for him.

They held a midday rally at City Hall, then made their way down Broad Street to the convention site. By early evening, a large crowd had formed outside the subway station closest to the arena.

"We all have this unrealistic dream that democracy is alive in America," said Debra Dilks, of Boonville, Missouri, who said she wasn't sure she'll vote in November. "Hillary didn't get the nomination. The nomination was stolen."

The crowd consisted of an assortment of protesters espousing a variety of causes, but mostly Sanders supporters and other Clinton foes on the left. College student Cory James said he expects the Democratic Party to split over the nomination.

"I suspect we are witnessing an event that will fundamentally change American politics," said James, of Flint, Michigan.

Earlier in the day, participants at the rally charged that Sanders was cheated out of the nomination, and they said they weren't swayed by his Monday plea to his supporters to fall in line behind Clinton for the good of the country.

"He persuaded no one to vote for Hillary," said Greg Gregg, a retired nurse from Salem, Oregon, who intends to cast his ballot in November for Green Party candidate Jill Stein.

The longstanding bitterness between Sanders' supporters and Clinton's seemed to grow worse over the past few days after a trove of hacked emails showed that officials at the Democratic National Committee played favorites during the primaries and worked to undermine Sanders' campaign.

Black Men for Bernie founder Bruce Carter said Monday's speeches from Sanders and Massachusetts U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren didn't persuade him to support Clinton.

"They really agitate people more every time they stand up and do the Hillary Clinton hoo-rah hoo-rah," he said.

Carter, a Dallas resident, said he doesn't fear a Republican Donald Trump presidency.

With temperatures climbing again toward the mid-90s, Chris Scully, an engineer from Troy, New York, held a "Jill Before Hill" sign outside City Hall and said he opposes Clinton because of her war record as U.S. secretary of state.

As Scully spoke, a passer-by called out: "That's a vote for Trump!"

In a separate protest, against police brutality and racial injustice, about 500 people marched down Broad Street to City Hall. Protest leader Erica Mines told the crowd it was an "anti-police rally" and a "black and brown resistance march" and instructed all white people to move to the back.

March participant Tiara Willis, of Philadelphia, said she subscribes to the slogan "I'm with her ... I guess." She said she won't back Trump and called Clinton "the lesser of two evils."
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 12:15 pm
@revelette2,
It's not a disaster at all, despite the hype claiming it was inevitable. Started out a little shaky the first day while some people got the boos out of their system, the second night was just great.

The first night I saw Elizabeth Warren, Michelle Obama and Bernie Sanders. The second night I saw Bill Clinton. Gee, I wonder how that compares to Trump's convention where GOP speakers were refusing to speak and the featured speakers were underwear models, Scott Baio, and Trump's daughters.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 12:29 pm
Let's see, how are those Battleground States going? Just checked Real Clear Politics.

Pennsylvania..H45.5.. T42.3... Clinton +3.2
Michigan ...H41.0 ..T35.8... Clinton +5.2
Ohio ......H42.6 ...T41.8 ... Clinton +0.8
Florida .....H43.5 ...T43.8... Trump +0.3
Iowa .....H41.3 ...T40.8... Clinton +0.5
Wisconsin ....H44.3 ...T38.7... Clinton +5.6
New Hampshire. H43.0 ..T39.3... Clinton +3.7
Virginia... H42.3... T37.0... Clinton +5.3
North Carolina.. H44.0... T42.0... Clinton +2.0
Georgia... H41.5 ...T46.0... Trump +4.5
Missouri... H37.0... T45.3... Trump +8.3Trending Up
Colorado... H44.6... T36.6... Clinton +8.0
Nevada... H41.7...T43.7 ... Trump +2.0
Arizona... H43.5... T43.0... Clinton +0.5

Trump's got a tiny lead in Florida, but it's about the only good news he's got. Florida alone doesn't get him anywhere near the amount of Electoral votes he needs. The fact that Colorado, which a couple of cycles ago was considered Republican-leaning, is now so strongly toward Hillary has to be a damaging indicator.
Real Music

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2016 12:30 pm
@reasoning logic,
Debbie Wasserman Schultz has resigned as the DNC chair. The Democratic party has moved on without skipping a beat. The party is strong. The convention is turning out to be a pretty good convention. All is well.