bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 05:57 am
@Lash,
I've met and talked to Jesse Jackson in a kitchen at an event in Chicago and there's a lot more going on there than oratorical tricks. This country need more Jesse Jacksons.

We need more Barack Obamas, too. I think hes an inspiring honest speaker totally stripped of "speaking gimmicks".
Lash

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 06:14 am
@bobsal u1553115,
My opinion of his veracity has swung in different directions over the decades. My current personal opinion of him is not as harsh as it was during his Tawana Brawley days, but it's not great.

Your experience must've been interesting. Care to elaborate?

Just FYI, The classroom segment that featured him didn't address anything other than his stunning examples of pathos; he wasn't characterized personally. We also annotated examples of pathos, ethos, and logos from speeches by Churchill, JFK, MLK...

Edit-- yeah on Obama. People here say Obama speaks with a sermon-y cadence. I've never heard that.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 06:26 am
@Lash,
I was catering an event at the Rainbow Coalition House in Chicago. the event itself had started winding down, Rev Jackson hadn't been part of the program and had arrived late. I was in the kitchen packing some things I kept at home rather than at the shop when he walked in. I offered to fix him a plate and we had a casual conversation for five or ten minutes.

He seemed tired but very connected and I felt honored he could give me some time to talk to him one guy to another about the weather and whatever. Its something I treasure. Not worth much but means a lot to me still.
Lash

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 06:53 am
@bobsal u1553115,
It is a smile-worthy slice of him - and you. Thanks.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 05:36 am
Bernie Sanders tweets during Trump's speech - destroys Trump

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cn9NziJUAAE0IO7.jpg

Bernie Sanders DESTROYS Trump During His Coronation From The Comfort Of His Armchair

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2016/07/22/bernie-sanders-destroys-trump-during-his-coronation-from-the-comfort-of-his-armchair/

ME: this is a thing of beauty

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
— Bernie Sanders (@BernieSanders) July 22, 2016

Will Trump mention climate change, the great environmental crisis of our time? Been waiting for a year now. #RNCwithBernie

Those who voted for me will not support Trump who has made bigotry and divisiveness the cornerstone of his campaign. #RNCwithBernie

We believe in bringing people together, not dividing them up.

Trump is wrong. The real cause of instability in the Middle East was the Bush-Cheney invasion of Iraq. By the way, where is President Bush?

Trump’s big economic plans: Give trillions in tax breaks to millionaires, refuse to raise the federal minimum wage. #RNCwithBernie

Trump’s economic plan: $3.2 trillion in tax breaks for millionaires, cut programs for low-income Americans. #RNCwithBernie

What a hypocrite! If Trump wants to “fix” trade he can start by making his products in the US, not low-wage countries abroad. #RNCwithBernie

Fix trade. Stop manufacturing Trump shirts in Bangladesh at 30-cents an hour. #RNCwithBernie

Fix trade. Stop manufacturing Trump ties in China.

Fix trade. Stop manufacturing Trump clothing in Mexico. #RNCwithBernie

Citizens United is one of the worst decisions in our history. Will Trump mention it or is he too afraid of the Koch brothers? #RNCwithBernie

Still waiting for a single word about covering the 28 million Americans without health insurance. I guess they don’t matter much to Trump.

Trump: “I alone can fix this.”
Is this guy running for president or dictator? #RNCwithBernie

Trump: “I alone can fix this.” Maybe he doesn’t understand that a president has to work with Congress. #RNCwithBernie

Looks like Ted Cruz was right about one thing. Trump does not understand what the Constitution is about. #RNCwithBernie

Our movement understands that what we don’t need is Trump’s huge tax breaks for millionaires. #RNCwithBernie

Trump thinks climate change is a “hoax.” My supporters understand that we must move away from fossil fuels, not expand them. #RNCwithBernie

much more at the link.........

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2016/07/22/bernie-sanders-destroys-trump-during-his-coronation-from-the-comfort-of-his-armchair/
revelette2

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 07:19 am
@bobsal u1553115,
You're right, he did give out some good tweets, I like the ones concerning Trump's hypocrisy concerning trade but all of them are good.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2016 07:49 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Wow! Those tweets DO destroy Trump big time!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 10:31 am
This is a pivotal moment in American history. The slippery slope toward an American police state has been identified as the TPP. People who were upset at rights lost via the Patriot Act will be incredulous at the specific rights lost through the TPP.

Kaine is a noteworthy proponent of the TPP as is Clinton.

I hope Bernie accepts responsibility to lead the furious Berners who are massing in Philly.

Assange is leaking details of the TPP. We are being subjugated.

Aren't you at all curious why the details of this big, constantly-discussed 'trade contract' are still withheld from you? Aren't you curious as to why a presidential candidate refused to say openly what she said to Wall Street donors?

Why do so many of you defend secrecy and lies and trudge along in line to the slaughter??

smh
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 10:36 am
@Lash,
Conspiracy theory. LOL
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 10:55 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Bernie Sanders tweets during Trump's speech - destroys Trump

nope. Mr. Sanders didn't do anything that would destroy Mr. Trump.

Trump supporters won't care about the tweets.

Sanders supporters already believe.

No one else is paying attention to him.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 11:01 am
@ehBeth,
I think before the convention is over Hilary will move to the lesft a bit more and she'll make nice with Bernie.

We still have Congressional elections that might be even more important than POTUS, and Bernie and his huge gathering of left/independents will be helpful if the large negative ratings of both Presidential candidates actually suppress turnout.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 11:02 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I hope Mr. Sanders is very active in getting out the downballot vote.
snood

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 11:08 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I hope Mr. Sanders is very active in getting out the downballot vote.

I don't think he's going to do that much, now that his prime time demand is gone. I really think a lot of Bernie's motivation is the limelight.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 11:29 am
@snood,
Shouldn't we be inviting and not closing out???
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 12:00 pm
Tim Kaine looks like a very good choice.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/22/politics/hillary-clinton-vp-pick/
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 12:02 pm
@Lash,
Hours Before Hillary Clinton’s VP Decision, Likely Pick Tim Kaine Praises the TPP

Tim Kaine, Possible Hillary Clinton Pick for Vice President, Goes to Bat for Banks

- Two reasons I don't like this choice for VP.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 12:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CoAmYs8WcAAFSUr.jpg
snood

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 01:57 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Shouldn't we be inviting and not closing out???

I wish people would stop acting like Bernie and the Bernie diehards are a bunch of hot house roses everyone has to coddle. They are going to do what they are going to do. When would the Bernie or busters even have time to listen to entreating words? They're far too busy deriding Hillary, her VP pick, the DNC, Obama and every Hillary supporter. I invite them to kiss my ass.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 02:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
Bernie and other progressives are against the TPP; Hillary and Kaine and establishment types are for it. If you don't disagree, Edgar, I'd like to throw it in the discussion. If you'd rather me move it, just say the word.

http://www.ibtimes.com/tpp-trade-deal-would-curb-freedom-speech-online-internet-activists-warn-1883780

Support of TPP serves as a dividing line between progressives and neoliberals.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2016 02:12 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Not surprising; he knows how to work in government for all the people. Trump wants to build walls.
0 Replies