revelette2

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2016 05:13 pm
@RABEL222,
I know, in the beginning, I don't think a lot of established democrats liked him too much.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2016 05:45 pm
@revelette2,
Some people don't think decency goes out of style, but none of them are establishment democrats.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2016 06:23 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

Well, I am sucker for a lot of things which others with perhaps more elevated taste than mine aren't, but, I love his voice.

Yeah, it's never actually occurred to me that I liked the way Obama talked, but sometimes I find myself adopting his cadence when I'm making some point about the economy to my friend in a bar.
Kolyo

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2016 07:24 am
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

in a bar.

To clarify, I'm not drunk when I start talking in Obama's style. That's not what I meant. I don't get drunk anymore, since I started working. Whoever voted down my personal story about my life can go to hell.
revelette2

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2016 09:47 am
@Kolyo,
What life story? I simply didn't understand your point, didn't know if you were making cracks or just telling something you really do.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2016 09:53 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
I love his voice.

he often sounds like he's got a lozenge in his mouth. drives me nuts. When I read transcripts of what he's said, I often agree with things that I thought I disagreed with when I heard him speak.
revelette2

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2016 09:54 am
@ehBeth,
Ok, shrugs, each to his or her own.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2016 01:53 pm
You know that rhyming, emotional cadence is a century-old ploy to attract ignorant people.

A fact.
snood

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2016 01:59 pm
@Lash,
So the people that think Obama's oratory is above average and sometimes inspired are ignorant?
Lash

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2016 02:05 pm
@snood,
Actually, when I hear him, he doesn't sound like an old-time preacher with a sermonesque cadence. So, I don't know what they think they're hearing. I wish someone would send a link. He has always sounded like a regular speaker to me- a little chopped off. Normal.
snood

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2016 02:42 pm
@Lash,
Where has anyone here said Obama reminds them of an old-time preacher? I haven't seen that. I've seen people say they think he's a good speaker, as have I. I think he's gifted as a speaker, and occasionally inspired. I think he goes on far too long sometimes, to the detriment of the overall effect of the speech.
revelette2

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2016 02:53 pm
@snood,
Actually I did, was that wrong? He does remind me of an old time preacher at one of those country black churches. I looked at it as a good thing. My dad was a preacher the whole time I was growing up. He had a deep, gravelly loud voice. Obama's is more melodious. I grew up in country churches. Guess I talk too much, at least today anyway.
snood

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2016 02:55 pm
Here's a n article saying the Dems are far more united than the die-hards try to make you think:

The myth of the Democratic rift: Despite media hot air, the data show Sanders supporters will embrace Clinton

http://www.salon.com/2016/07/17/the_myth_of_the_democratic_rift_despite_media_hot_air_the_data_shows_sanders_supporters_will_embrace_clinton/
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2016 03:07 pm
@snood,
I've always liked his voice and past that, I'll generalize that I have liked his take on things, but not always. I remember being on the disappointed side that he was so ready to get along back in the beginning. I have had other beefs, off and on. Like Roger and some others, we of fairly different politics, I figure the US country at large will miss him, or learn to miss him, and so will some of the rest of the world.

On the other hand, a lot escapes me, so I've missed his riffing in other modes. I'd likely have liked it.

revelette2

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2016 03:08 pm

Anyway, there he is.

Roger said he thinks we are going to miss him, I already am.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2016 03:21 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
I figure the US country at large will miss him, or learn to miss him, and so will some of the rest of the world.

I think honorable people of all stripes are already recognizing and appreciating his efforts, and I think history will ultimately be kind to him.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2016 03:46 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

Actually I did, was that wrong? He does remind me of an old time preacher at one of those country black churches. I looked at it as a good thing. My dad was a preacher the whole time I was growing up. He had a deep, gravelly loud voice. Obama's is more melodious. I grew up in country churches. Guess I talk too much, at least today anyway.

I'm guessing you saw this, snood.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2016 03:49 pm
The only reason I make my claim about the crowd-pandering nature of "preacher cadence" is the segment I taught in rhetorical strategy.

Jesse Jackson got two days to himself in my curriculum. Figures heavily into pathos. Emotional appeal.
roger

Reply Sun 17 Jul, 2016 03:51 pm
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

Kolyo wrote:

in a bar.

To clarify, I'm not drunk when I start talking in Obama's style. That's not what I meant. I don't get drunk anymore, since I started working. Whoever voted down my personal story about my life can go to hell.

I naturally assumed you were talking about a juice bar.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Jul, 2016 03:02 am
@roger,
The word bar, (I go to pubs,) always makes me think of this.

0 Replies