Mame

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 03:15 pm
I don't do resorts, so that's out.

As far as destinations go... I'm pretty open. I love travelling and exploring.

Got a suggestion?
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 03:18 pm
Good, I don't like resorts of any nature either.

Depends on your fitness level and your preferences Mame, could you climb high into the hills and mountains of a hot humid jungle terrain, with no facilities, or would you consider a beach or jungle hut back to basics as basic as you would like it to be?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 05:55 pm
PMs are specifically designed for private conversations.

What are PMs designed for?
0 Replies

bsingh5

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 05:59 pm
Why ask if you already answered?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2006 06:02 pm
When one is treating the D stream that is a tried and tested technique.

Are you as thick as Mathos?
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 03:57 pm
Listen gob-shiite. you make as much sense as a chocolate kettle.

I note your bullying the little girl again, (Hi Little Imp) and there will be a catching up day.

Do you never get fed up with being a total arse-hole?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 05:33 pm
Yes I do. It is a nuisance.

Do you know anyway of avoiding it?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 09:51 pm
Yes. But for you guys it would entail taping your mouths shut, and/or even more importantly, having someone tie your hands behind your backs for you.

Are you "skint" or are you "in the money" ?
(I'm just wondering if you'd be the one paying to act like a fourteen year old boy - or if you're the one being paid to act like a fourteen year old boy).
You know I saw an article in the newspaper the other day about people who write term papers for college/university students to buy - on the internet of course. They mentioned one where this person paid over 200 pounds for a five page paper- but it was total "shite" as you'd both say and the professor who looked at it said he'd have given it an F if someone had handed it in- it had this kind of well-written gloss to it, but on closer inspection just didn't pan out. If I remember correctly it was comparing and contrasting Orwell's l984 and Huxley's Brave New World.
My first thought was, "Wow, I could be making a mint," because I like writing papers about stuff like that. But then I immediately thought - "You'd never do something like that - it's so dishonest." And then I thought, "But if those people who are buying the paper don't care about learning - they'll get it from someone else anyway - and then you'd be learning and improving your brain - so at least someone would be benefiting in some way." And then I thought, "But you'd be contributing to the general slide our society has taken into substandard behavior and cheating and dishonesty". And then my final thought was, "And you'd have to feel ashamed of yourself. And you hate feeling ashamed of yourself". So I won't do it - but then I thought - now there's a job for Spendius!
Would you write a five page paper on a subject of interest of you to sell to someone if the money was good? And, if you weren't a good or imaginative writer, would you pay someone to do your work for you? And who do you think is the more pathetic loser - the person who does the dirty work - or the person who pays for the dirty work?
(Now I think those are some interesting questions).
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 04:05 am
Cheating in exams is one way of preventing the swots taking over the world. If you approve of swots taking over the world you will obviously think cheating in exams is despicable.

But you would have to show that a world run by swots is better than a world run by the capitalist spirit and I'm inclined to think you couldn't show that to my satisfaction. American presidential elections seem to show that the American people are wary of swots.

I could write a 5-pager comparing and contrasting 1984 and Brave New World dead easy. An A-plusser too. Could I get £200 for that. I'll look into it.

Are you a pessimist?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 05:44 am
Every question I answer of yours Spendius, takes me at least two steps. First I have to google a slang dictionary to get a definition of some British terminology - then I have to think.
I wouldn't mind swots having the most influence in the world. They're obviously the most prepared and good thinkers. I'd just hope they'd be good, kind, egalitarian kind of swots.

Americans are wary of swots - except for swots like Bill Gates. But, hey you know - Bill Clinton was one of my favorite swots. A swot with charisma and charm.

You might get an A-plus - I'll give you that. But you could just as easily have the grading professor be someone who was not enamored of your somewhat circular logic and "opaque" (I saw someone on here describe your writing as such- and I thought it was extremely appropos) style of writing. I had a history professor once who no matter how hard I worked - I couldn't get better than a C on any paper I did. My friend was in the same class and she got A's every time. We were very evenly matched as students - but he liked her writing style and didn't like mine. Happens all the time you know.

No, I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist - pretty much through and through. Some of it's innate - and some of it's a conscious choice I made.

Do you believe you can choose to make yourself what you want to become? (in terms of personality traits).
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 07:16 am
No Miss, you cannot, you can elaborate on what you see as brownie points but the mould is in the casting.

Are you one of those people who runs away from anything outside of your train of thoughtful existence Miss?

I wonder if you would be much fun on the ghost train, fourteen year old boys love the ghost train Miss, but sometimes they like the teacher to accompany them. The teacher can have lots of fun.

Can you explain Miss;-

There are 52 weeks in a year and seven days in a week 7 x 52 = 354

The rule book says, and if you count them up it is correct, that there are 365 days in a year .

Where does the extra day come from Miss?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 09:39 am
Mathos - I'm sure you already know this - but a "year" is nothing more than the amount of time it takes for the earth to make a complete revolution around the sun. Men are the ones who divided that amount of time into things called "days" and "weeks" and "years", so those are really kind of arbitrary man-made concepts imposed on a very intelligent natural design. I guess they should have added a tiny bit more time to each day- maybe that's what they're trying to make up for by adding a whole extra day every four years. What is this - some kind of test?

By the way - I'm a hoot on the ghost train (is that the train that goes through the house of horrors?) I scream and laugh hysterically. The funniest time ever was the time I went with my mother and she kept trying to talk rationally to all the characters (some of which weren't real people) who were put there to scare her- I almost peed my pants I was laughing so hard.

I don't agree with your take on personality characteristics- they're tendencies and tendencies can be overcome.

So are you saying that you believe that what you are was preordained and cast in stone at your birth?
0 Replies

bsingh5

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 09:49 am
False any one who would agree to that, at lease this is what I belive would be nothing other than a dull witted poor excuse for a human.

It is just as one would believe in the time of Greeks and Romans that the God's decide our fate. This is also stupid for one we know that God (if you belive in him) has given us free will and as a result of this we create action and from those actions come consequences. However, if you want to get really technical I guess you could say that in a way you are preordained to certain things because of your actions however you are not totally preordained because of the fact that you were born with a clean slate.

Nevertheless, if you believe, as I do, in karma and rebirth then you are preordained for certain actions because you have not lived out the consequences of your previous birth as yet, unless you have, but then that is a whole nother story.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 09:58 am
Yeah - like "What goes around comes around".

Do you think there's a concept like that in every culture - but it's just expressed in different ways?
0 Replies

bsingh5

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 10:00 am
Maybe. I haven't got to look into other cultures much, but wouldn't you say so based on what you know?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 11:12 am
Based on what I know - life is unpredictable. Some people get **** they don't deserve at all - and others who probably deserve it, don't get any **** at all.
For instance: Ronald Reagan was known as the "teflon" president, because nothing he did wrong ever stuck to him- like food doesn't stick to teflon. So, although he was involved in so many shady deals with the Contras and Noriega in Nicauragua and the whole arms deal with Iran -and he actively lied about it, he's gone down in history as a saint. Whereas Bill Clinton achieved so much for the country while he was president, but he had Ken Starr on his back the whole eight years he was in office and was even brought up for impeachment over his private and personal affairs- so although I think his reputation is improving slowly - because he really is a smart guy who does good things - he'll go down in history as one of the two (I think that's correct) presidents we've had who've faced impeachment hearings.

So although it doesn't always look as if what goes around comes around, I believe it will all be dealt with and evened out in the end. Do you?
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 12:10 pm
Yes, all the spokes go through the mud at some time, and sparkle in the sun at others.

You do get carried away with the use of paragraphs to explain simplicity Aidan, why don't you condense things more, are you trying to impress or is it just your mannerism innate.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 12:57 pm
Innate.

What's your strongest/most set in stone innate characteristic?
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 01:00 pm
I won't ever give in, I'm like The British Bulldog, I keep going forward no matter what.

It's that death before dishonour syndrome, can you relate to that?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 01:09 pm
Laughing Laughing You know I can.

What is VIZ?
0 Replies