aidan

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 03:54 am
@Dutchy,
Quote:

Do you believe men and women can perform on equal basis in the work forcce?

I think it very much depends on the job-as well as the specific characteristics of each man or woman.

Do you believe in the death penalty? If your general feeling is that it's not humane, is there any situation in which you can imagine advocating it?
Dutchy

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 04:37 am
@aidan,
I am a strong believer in the death penalty for heinous crimes. There is no death penalty in Australia unfortunately, abolished many years ago. My State is notorious for a series of gruesome murders in recent years which in my view warranted the death penalty for the perpetrators. Just to name a couple, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowtown_murders
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truro_murders

What do you think they should do with Ben Laden should he ever be caught?

aidan

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 04:59 am
@Dutchy,
Treat him the same as they would any other war criminal who was instrumental in planning and committing crimes against humanity.

Does it seem puzzling to you that he's managed to evade capture all this time?
Dutchy

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 05:32 am
@aidan,
Sure does with today's electronic gadgetry available to parties interested in his capture. Osama Bin Laden has many enemies, who is there to say he is still alive, and hasn't been murdered?

What is your favourite dish?

aidan

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 09:51 am
@Dutchy,
It depends on my mood. The other day I had oatmeal for the first time in a long time and that was my favorite dish at that moment. There aren't many foods I don't eat and enjoy.

What is your favorite dessert?
Dutchy

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 03:17 pm
@aidan,
Vanilla ice-cream with fresh strawberries and cream. Smile

I go out dining at least once a week, do you like going to a Restaurant or Hotel for a meal or do you prefer your own cooking?
aidan

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 01:47 am
@Dutchy,
Restaurants. I do love to eat out if it's good. I hate eating out and feeling that I could have made the same thing better at home though.

Do you like coconut?

Dutchy

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 04:19 am
@aidan,
Yes I do. My mother used to bake Coconut macaroons which I loved, occasionally I buy a piece of coconut rough chocolate but it isn't always available.

Do you like seafood?
aidan

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 02:48 pm
@Dutchy,
Yes, I love it. It's probably my favorite source of protein - I'd much rather eat fish or seafood than meat.

Do you guys eat a lot of lobster in Australia?
Dutchy

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 02:53 pm
@aidan,
Lobster is to expensive at $100.00 plus per kg. I'm lucky my son is in the fishing industry and has his own 'cray-pots' so he does send them to me along with other seafood!

Have you ever visited any of the Scandinavian countries?
aidan

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 03:05 pm
@Dutchy,
Wow! $100 a kg - that's $50 a pound! I guess you are lucky that your son's in fishing then. Lobster is one of my favorite seafoods. I developed a taste for it when I lived in Maine and it was $4 a pound.

I haven't visited any of the Scandinavian countries, but I would love to - and I will have the opportunity to travel to Norway with a choir I'm involved with in 2010. This fall - October 2009- we're going to Italy - and touring Tuscany.

Do you like to sing?
Dutchy

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 03:26 pm
@aidan,
Only in the shower. Smile I admire good singers like the three "Tenors", or the "Platin" trio from the Andrieu Rieu show, saw the latter in person last November, fabulous singers. http://www.nme.com/video/id/jO7_H7ydurM/search/orchstra

Do you enjoy classical music?
aidan

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 03:46 pm
@Dutchy,
I do.

What's your favorite instrument?
Dutchy

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 04:07 pm
@aidan,
Flamenco guitar. Armik and Ottmar Liebert are two of my favourite artists.

Do you play any instruments?

aidan

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 04:51 pm
@Dutchy,
Yes, I play the piano.

Do you play any instruments? If not, is there one you wish you could play?
Dutchy

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 03:29 pm
@aidan,
No I don't but would love to be able to play the piano.

Is a2k the only forum you contribute to?
aidan

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 01:42 am
@Dutchy,
Yes.

Do you contribute to any other forums?
Dutchy

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 02:13 am
@aidan,
No, unless you class facebook as a forum.

Do you like doing crosswords?

aidan

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 02:19 am
@Dutchy,
Yes-love them.

What do you like about facebook?
(a student of mine invited me to join and I did and I just can't see the allure. When I go to his wall - I have to read all the stuff other people I don't know post - I have all these people I don't know asking 'can I be your friend'....I feel like I'm back in kindergarten or something, 'Can I be your friend', 'can I join your club' 'will you be on my team'.... Laughing

And I can't say no to anyone- I can't say to anyone, 'NO- I won't be your friend...' so I have all these friends who I have no idea who they are....I just like talking to people one on one. I don't say the same things to all my friends. I gave up on facebook after about two days-not for me...in fact, I like talking to people in person first - then on the phone - then by individual e-mail- and then on this forum (that's the order I enjoy my methods of communication).

Anyway - why do you like Facebook?
Dutchy

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 02:44 am
@aidan,
I'm very much like you I don't really like it and have made very few contributions. I was asked to join by an a2k member and once there noted quite a number of them were members. I think the initial attraction was the ability to chat with others and send messages. However now we have pm's back here I don't think I'll venture back. I'm more than happy to have a small number of friends here and exchange the occasional pm, not a large number of people I don't know like on Facebook.

I missed the ability to send and receive pm's whilst a2k changed into its new format, did you?