When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

revelette2

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 02:42 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I hope he does and people give him a chance against Hillary and Sanders.
bobsal u1553115

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 02:47 pm
@revelette2,
Well, I predicted that Biden is warming up in the wings for the inevitable Hillary meltdown. I'm ready for a Biden/Sanders administration.
bobsal u1553115

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 02:48 pm
Not very long ago, liking Bernie Sanders was liking Apple Pie. But then he had the gall....

I've experienced many election rounds on DU. It's never a pretty sight in primary season. People line up into camps and bash each other and their candidates. People who might otherwise agree on much go after each other with hammer and tongs.

But I must say, the transformation of Bernie Sanders is breathtaking.

Not very long ago -- months -- everybody in these parts loved ol' Bernie. He was respected, and people of many stripes appreciated his candor and principled consistency to liberal ideals.

Even people who disagreed on everything else could generally agree on that. "Yes I really admire Bernie, and he tells the truth. And he has the right ideas."

For some he was a ray of hope in the otherwise bleak landscape of national politics.

For others he was like your eccentric, grumpy-but-lovable old uncle. A mensch who told the truth and had the right ideas, but was not really to be taken seriously because, you know, "He's just being Bernie. But ya gotta love him and respect him."

But then....He had the gall to actually run for President. Worse yet, he had the gall to mess up a nice clean coronation of the Favored Candidate.

At first, not really to be taken seriously. Another vanity candidate. Worst that can happen is that he makes the primaries a little more spicy. Just good ol Bernie stirring the pot.

But then...Horrors! It turns out he actually resonated with a lot of people. He actually started attracting big crowds. He touched the Third Rail of Truth. He actually became a vehicle that expressed the discontent many people have with the entrenched Corporate Status Quo Oligarchy that has suppressed the liberal side of the Democratic Party for far too long.

So now suddenly, he's gone from Mensch to Pariah among some people. He's insensitive and dismissive of minorities. He's a gun nut. He's a one-trick pony. He hates immigrants, and is just one step short of Donald Trump. His wife is a criminal. He's a right winger. He's a Commie. He has no "real" policies. He's a lousy Senator. He's just a complainer who's never accomplished anything.....etc.

AND HE HATES PUPPIES!

And of course his followers are naive, obnoxious cultists driven solely by dislike of Hillary and/or their own misguided fanaticism. And so they are part of the Cult of Sanderism.

An amazing transformation.

And some will say, "But the real problem is with his supporters. They're awful and obnoxious, and hurt their candidate."

Welllllll.....In some cases that's true. But that's also true of some supporters of Clinton or any impassioned supporter of any candidate. That's the nature of politics and of message boards.

There's also a self-fulfilling cycle. Supporters of Candidate A post something obnoxious about Candidate B and supporters of candidate B respond in similar tone. And it escalates, and devolves into warring camps.

It's always a two-way street. And is also predictable in that both sides say "But you started it."

(I do not excuse myself from this syndrome. I try to be reasonable, and issues oriented. But when my hot button is pushed I can be as obnoxious as anyone.)

I won't conclude by saying let's all KumBayYah. Or let's just focus on issues. It would be great. But I know that's not gonna happen until maybe after the primaries.

But back to the original point, I just find it amazing how quickly for some people a guy like Bernie can go from (as an old Peanuts cartoon described it) from being a Hero to a Goat within a few short weeks.
Lash

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 02:50 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Nice one, Bob.
0 Replies

revelette2

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 02:53 pm
@Lash,
I already posted the second from the stack before yours from fox. here
0 Replies

revelette2

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 02:58 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Like I said, that would be great for me.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 02:59 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Well, I predicted that Biden is warming up in the wings for the inevitable Hillary meltdown. I'm ready for a Biden/Sanders administration.

If Biden wins the nomination...and I would have no trouble with that...I would hope he is not fool enough to choose Sanders as a running mate. Sanders' inclusion is a recipe for disaster for the Dems. I'd vote for that ticket no matter what...but I'd be part of one of the worst defeats ever.
0 Replies

snood

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 02:59 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Pretty broad strokes. Sanders has never been either a hero or a goat for me. I've never seen Hillary as some kind of fait accompli candidate. I think Biden or Warren would both be better, but I'm trying to work with what we've got. At this point, I am toward Sanders (Edit) much as I was toward Obama at the same stage in 2007 - like what he says, but doubtful about his viability. I changed on Obama after he won Iowa.
I've always had misgivings about the Clintons - too slick by half, never sure of what convictions they have courage and what they just say for the sound byte value. But I would have to take Hillary over the poison, retrograde agenda of the Repubs.
revelette2

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 03:01 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I know Sanders has a long list of credentials of supporting civil rights. However he did express objection to open borders because they would take away jobs from the poor we already got. So I can see why minorities (or Hispanics) might be leery of him.
Lash

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 03:03 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Do as you say - not as you do, huh? No thanks. You're no icon of decency or measured opinions. Not sure why you think you're in a position to tell people what to do.

Step off the behavior police routine or I'll relieve myself of seeing your posts and you can school the echo chamber.
Lash

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 03:06 pm
@revelette2,
He wants to give Hispanics working in the US $15. an hour for their time. He wants to create a clear easier path for citizenship for them. These should be popular policies...
revelette2

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 03:10 pm
@Lash,
Yes they should, it just don't square with his reason for opposing open borders, unless he thinks we should just let the ones who are here stay here and become citizens and make $15 an hour but not let anymore come here so they don't take away jobs? He said the idea of open borders was a Koch brothers idea.
Lash

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 03:14 pm
@revelette2,
Yes! Because if the borders are open, horrible employers can pay them peanuts and get away with it. The country would NEVER raise the minimum wage and the Kochs and big business win again.

Plus. What country has open borders?
Lash

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 03:17 pm
https://www.rawstory.com/2015/07/bernie-sanders-explodes-a-right-wing-myth-open-borders-no-thats-a-koch-brothers-proposal/

The interview Revelette and I reference.
0 Replies

revelette2

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 03:20 pm
@Lash,
I don't know, don't know too much about it. I was just talking about his reasoning which didn't seem very Hispanic friendly so to speak.
Lash

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 03:24 pm
@revelette2,
Well, girl, I don't know anybody that thinks we can just open the borders. We cease to be a country at that point.
revelette2

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 03:32 pm
@Lash,
Look, I have never really heard of open borders, I already said I don't know anything about it.
Lash

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 03:35 pm
@revelette2,
Well, you did say it sounded unfriendly to Hispanics, so I thought you must have something to base that on.
revelette2

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 03:45 pm
@Lash,
Not regarding open borders, but his opposing is that it would take away jobs from the poor here in the US. He is right, it would. But if you were Hispanic here in the US and you had relatives who are still across the border and you wanted them to come here to the US, you might not take that attitude in stride.

I am not sure what is meant by open borders. However, I agree, we should not lower our wages to that of $3 an hour like the republicans want just because there are those who will accept it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sat 1 Aug, 2015 03:57 pm
We've got loads of displaced people from Syria, Iraq and Libya trying to get across the Med.

I think America should take in all the religious nutters displaced as a result of American foreign policy.

It's the right thing to do.