When will Hillary Clinton give up her candidacy ?

Blickers

Thu 14 Jan, 2016 11:45 am
@georgeob1,
Quote george0b1:
Quote:
McConnel acknowledges our recovery from a world wide financial crisin and recession; that we are better off as a result, but notes that it has been slower and more tepid, with lower overall employment levels, than all such cyclic recoveries in the past half century because of the uncontrolled expansion of government and unwise policy initiatives.

Sez you. I see nice, steady improvement going up, up, up. In stark contrast to the mess Obama faced when he took over in 2009. I'll take it.
http://cdn.tradingeconomics.com/charts/united-states-gdp-per-capita.png?s=usanygdppcapkd&v=201601111603n
cicerone imposter

Thu 14 Jan, 2016 12:26 pm
@Blickers,
We are sort of spoiled here in Silicon Valley with higher average pay and higher cost of living. Apple is building a new campus not far from where we live that will house 12,000 workers. Demand for housing continues to increase in our area, and our $50,000 home is now worth about $1.7 million - and it continues to go up! I guess that old truism, location, location, location, still holds true.
georgeob1

Thu 14 Jan, 2016 12:51 pm
@Blickers,
I think your ability to look up supporting data on various web sites exceeds your understanding of the material you represent. No one has said that we have not recovered from the world-wide financial collapse of 2007/8. Rather my assertion, and that of most others, is that our recovery from it has been unnecessarily far slower and less substantial than the others: i.e. that we are performing below our historical norms for such cyclic events.

If you will check the same sources for comparative data of the rates of increase of real (inflation adjusted) GDP following the our last previous recession, the collapse of the "dot.com" bubble 2001, you will find that real (inflation adjusted) GDP growth rates for the 2009 - 2015 recovery are about 1/3rd less than those of the comparative period for 2001 - 2007. A comparison with earlier recovery periods yields even greater differences.

These are simply facts.

cicerone imposter

Thu 14 Jan, 2016 01:36 pm
@georgeob1,
Domestic GDP growth without considering the world economy is somewhat narrow. It's my understanding from reading several articles that the US economy is holding its own compared to the world economy. Slowness in our economy is to be expected. 1.5% growth under those circumstances is not bad, but some reports show 3%.
edgarblythe

Thu 14 Jan, 2016 01:53 pm
170 Prominent Economists Back Bernie Sanders’ Plan to Rein in Wall Street

http://usuncut.com/politics/170-top-economists-back-bernie-sanders-plan-to-rein-in-wall-street/
georgeob1

Thu 14 Jan, 2016 02:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
U.S. Economic growth has exceeded the growth of the world econnomy for over a century. That we are "holding our own" now would be a significant setback from historical norms.

The fact is we are doing a bit better than the largely sclerotic economies of Western Europe, and a lot better than the so-called "BRIC" nations which are beset by their own internal issues and the general decline in commodity prices. However, we are doing decidedly less well than our own historical noems in similar situations over the past decades. That should concern us. It is called decline.
0 Replies

Miller

Thu 14 Jan, 2016 02:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Apple is building a new campus not far from where we live that will house 12,000 workers

This reminds me of the settlement formed by George Pullman on the far SouthSide of Chicago, to house workers at his factory for building the Pullman Palace Car. This car has been called the Pullman Car and today, since the car is still in use and is often used for individuals wishing to sleep during long distance rides,, it is often called the "Sleeper" car.

The men who staff the car were and still are, called Pullman porters.

In Pullman's settlement, the workers paid rent to lived in the houses built by Pullman . In the end, the workers weren't happy about the arrangements ( rent etc) and of course a violent strike resulted.

The old Pullman plant is today a national monument and isn't far away from the Chicago area, where Ms Obama lived with her father, mother, and brother.
0 Replies

parados

Thu 14 Jan, 2016 02:39 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
Rather my assertion, and that of most others, is that our recovery from it has been unnecessarily far slower and less substantial than the others: i.e. that we are performing below our historical norms for such cyclic events.

When was the last cyclic crash of the housing market?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Thu 14 Jan, 2016 02:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
That makes sense to me.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 14 Jan, 2016 05:31 pm
@Blickers,
Your comment

So what does that quote prove in the way of Hillary being untrustworthy?

signifies your contention that I set out to prove Hillary Clinton untrustworthy. I did not.
Lash

Thu 14 Jan, 2016 05:32 pm
@snood,
By reading what they plan to reply to.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Thu 14 Jan, 2016 05:35 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

Your comment

So what does that quote prove in the way of Hillary being untrustworthy?

signifies your contention that I set out to prove Hillary Clinton untrustworthy. I did not.

Do you really need to? Hasn't she pretty much done that by herself?
Lash

Thu 14 Jan, 2016 05:42 pm
@McGentrix,
He's spamming the thread. I had about six ignores in a row, not thinking I had so many ignore people coagulated in clutch - every one is him.

I think he has a problem accepting that other people can express opinions he doesn't like. Heh.
Lash

Thu 14 Jan, 2016 05:46 pm
@McGentrix,
Far and wide.
0 Replies

Blickers

Thu 14 Jan, 2016 07:00 pm
@Lash,
Quote Lash:
Quote:
He's spamming the thread. I had about six ignores in a row, not thinking I had so many ignore people coagulated in clutch - every one is him.

I have never put you on Ignore. Never. And I have no idea what you mean by "so many ignore people coagulated in clutch".

Are there clutch posts like there are clutch hits? Is this bottom of the ninth in the seventh game of the World Series?
Lash

Thu 14 Jan, 2016 07:22 pm
@Blickers,
I'm not sure why you addressed that statement to me. I wasn't addressing you or referring to you.
Blickers

Thu 14 Jan, 2016 07:31 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote georgeob1:
Quote:
you will find that real (inflation adjusted) GDP growth rates for the 2009 - 2015 recovery are about 1/3rd less than those of the comparative period for 2001 - 2007. A comparison with earlier recovery periods yields even greater differences.

You like facts? Here are some facts. You mentioned GDP and jobs. Okay.
GDP per capita the quarter before taking office.
George W. Bush
2000 Q3: $44, 586
2000 Q4: $44, 721
Total: +1.2% increase in GDP per capita annualized the quarter before Bush took office.

Barack Obama
2008 Q3: $48,841
2008 Q4: $47,647
Total: -9.1% drop in GDP per capita annualized the quarter before Obama took office.

Now let's look at jobs.
Full Time jobs the quarter before taking office.
George W. Bush
2000 Q3: 113.986 Million Full Time jobs
2000 Q4: 114.289 Million Full Time jobs
Total: Plus 0.303 Million Full Time jobs added the quarter before George W. Bush took office.

Barack Obama
2008 Q3: 119.724 Million Full Time jobs
2008 Q4: 117.096 Million Full Time jobs
Total: Minus 2.6 Million Full Time jobs LOST the quarter before Obama takes office.

Check the chart:
http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah279/LeviStubbs/Full%20Time%20jobs%20jan%202000%20thru%20dec%202015_zpsf7e5n8i8.jpg

As you or anyone can see, your analysis completely ignores the extreme severity of the GDP per capita drop and Full Time jobs hemorrhage that Obama walked into, as opposed to the mild uptick that George W. Bush walked into.

Unless you can find some past recessions that were anywhere near as severe as a 9% loss in GDP per capita or 2.6 Million Full Time jobs lost the quarter before taking office, your assertions make as much sense as a football coach telling a player who wants to leave the game because his lower leg is dangling freely from his knee socket, "The other guys on the team got hurt but they're still out there playing. What's wrong with you, Nancy boy!"
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 14 Jan, 2016 08:25 pm
Eric Kleefeld ‏@EricKleefeld 2m2 minutes ago
Cruz ridicules New York Times for a columnist comparing him to a demon.

Note: It was their resident conservative, David Brooks. #GOPDebate
Thomas

Thu 14 Jan, 2016 08:37 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:
If you will check the same sources for comparative data of the rates of increase of real (inflation adjusted) GDP following the our last previous recession, the collapse of the "dot.com" bubble 2001, you will find that real (inflation adjusted) GDP growth rates for the 2009 - 2015 recovery are about 1/3rd less than those of the comparative period for 2001 - 2007.

"2001 - 2007"? Who was president in 2008, and why would you ignore this year?
Blickers

Thu 14 Jan, 2016 08:56 pm
@Thomas,
Quote Thomas to georgeob1:
Quote:
"2001 - 2007"? Who was president in 2008, and why would you ignore this year?

Thomas, I don't have the foggiest idea why George would do that, do you?

http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah279/LeviStubbs/GDP%20per%20capita%202001-2009_zpsiuoaxqa6.jpg