Fight at a Dance Recital

Linkat

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:15 am
Now I may be new to this child activity stuff as my oldest is five, but is this what my future will be like? My daughter attended her first dance recital. Toward the end of the recital, I brought my daughter back stage to prepare for the finale. Once I ensured that she was lined up with the responsible adult chaperone, I headed back to my seat so that I could watch her final performance. As a neared the entrance to the auditorium, I noticed that there was a scuffle where many people were quickly exiting. At first I panicked thinking is there a fire or some other danger and was about to run back to get my daughter. Then I heard some one say fight! Did I hear right? Was some one really fighting at a dance recital? It was true. A mom hit one of the staff. Perhaps even her husband was involved. Whoever was involved the fight basically stemmed because the staff stopped the mom from entering the auditorium. Rules were clearly stated in all correspondence prior to the recital and announced prior to the performances that all doors were to remain closed while a performance was on - people could enter or exit between performances. This is to avoid distractions during the children's performances. Considering each performance is between 3 -5 minutes, this is not unreasonable.

At that point many parents ran out shouting I'm getting my child outta hear. Children witnessing the fight were crying, children being quickly ushered out were crying because they wanted to attend the finale. I took in the situation and realized my child is safely away from the situation. It appears that the staff are handling the one or two individuals and removing them. Knowing she is safe and looking forward to her final bow, I decided to wait it out. After 20 minutes the final performance started followed by the finale.

Now I have heard of fights at children's sporting events which is bad enough, but a dance recital? Is it just me, but are things getting a bit out of hand?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,571 • Replies: 50
No top replies

fishin

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:18 am
Jeez! *shakes head* That's pretty pathetic.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:20 am
Yes, things are getting out of hand.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:24 am
I once witnessed a fistfight that started with two men aruguing over over which driving directions were fastest to go from Cambridge, MA to Burlington.

Amazing!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:26 am
I'm glad you kept your cool, Linkat.

That other lady should have been put in the corner and made to wear a dunce cap.

Or maybe they should've shot her. (too harsh?)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 07:30 am
Mothers like that are the reason kids end up in therapy.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 09:01 am
You're not kidding, cav! That is one sad story. Can you imagine, as a little kid, seeing your mother slapping a teacher?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 09:04 am
You're not kidding, cav! That is one sad story. Can you imagine, as a little kid, seeing your mother slap a teacher?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 09:09 am
Hey, it's time that children saw their parents for the mean, small, petty bastards that they are. (Yes, me included...)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 09:12 am
You're a parent now? Ah, that's what Vegas was all about...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 09:21 am
No no no no no -- as far as I know, no. But I am a mean, small, petty bastard, and I was a child, once or twice.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 09:28 am
Once I found my inner child, I fried it up and ate it. I was just so hungry for a breakfast with meaning.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 09:33 am
When I'm bored, I like to attend children's sporting events to start fights among the audience. Fun stuff.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 11:30 am
Appalling behavior!!!

Still, I would have rather enjoyed seeing my mom slap a couple of the teachers I had. Two in particular come to mind.... Twisted Evil

Alas, she was much too refined for that.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 11:55 am
After posting, I knew someone would say that, Eva. I had a couple of teachers that needed a good slapping as well. And a high school guidance couselor that could have used a royal ass-whipping. But like yours, my mother was far too ladylike to do something like that.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 12:07 pm
Sounds like someone's in need of a trip out back to the dead piano lot.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 12:09 pm
My family was big on being blunt. I had a teacher in sixth grade who (whom) I couldn't stand. So toward the end of the year I walk up to him and call him a bastard (popular word with me). All kinds of trouble at school ensues. I go home and tell my mother what happened. She fixed me with a stern look, then said, "Well, he is a bastard," and that was that.

Don't think I'd've wanted to see him beaten, though.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 12:11 pm
I had a geography teacher in junior high who was a nightmare. Anything not in the little green book he was given by the Board of Education was not taught. Talk about creative. The entire class hated him. Lucky for us, there was a garbage strike that year, heh heh. That classroom was never the same.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 12:23 pm
eoe wrote:
You're not kidding, cav! That is one sad story. Can you imagine, as a little kid, seeing your mother slapping a teacher?[/quote[/b]]

I can remember, when I was a kid in grade school and the teacher hit me in the face, because I was talking. Boy-O-Boy, if only my mother had been there, to see that! If only she'd been there to slap the teach in the face! Rolling Eyes

I'd have loved it!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 12:27 pm
I remember a near riot in a Boston area dance school , when the director of the school wanted the little girls to wear their hair in little buns, for the school recital. The Director was correct in making her request, as this is the way, women must dress while attending professional dance school.

A few mothers objected to the Boston director's request, because they felt that the hair bun on the back of the head, would hide their daughter's ethnicities.

( Please don't ask me HOW?)
0 Replies