How do you deal with angry ghetto people?

Fri 17 Apr, 2015 09:43 pm
Me and my 6 year old niece were at the store and were ready to pay for our stuff. We headed for the line. I was right behind my niece, watching her. Suddenly, a grown woman stops my niece and starts screaming at her, claiming she bumped into her.

I did not see my niece touch the woman.

My niece was biting her nails and was about to cry. I quickly got in between my niece and the woman and said:

"This child bumped into you? I apologize in her stead."

The woman grumbled, turned around, and started talking with another woman and a 10 year old boy that was with her. They said terrible things loudly enough for me and my niece to hear them, and encouraged the boy to say mean things as well. They criticized her actions and appearance.

How do you handle people like that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 5,028 • Replies: 53
Topic Closed

ossobuco

Fri 17 Apr, 2015 09:49 pm
@PinkLipstick,
Oh, gee, not you too.
ossobuco

Fri 17 Apr, 2015 10:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Some people of all incomes and ethnic groups have anger or anxiety in life problems, and possible mental health problems that are not getting addressed. Some people of most cultures may hopped up in some way. Also, cultures differ. Even lining up may be odd to some cultures, to us who line up.

In my urban design type studies, in some beginning class, we were assigned books* on the matter of people and their sense of personal space. We were also assigned the task of nudging toward people in a grocery line, or similar line, to see where discomfort happened, for other people, and to report on it. There are books on all this.

I say this not knowing what your niece did, one way or another.

*I might remember those books, I've two in mind but don't remember the titles, will be back when I nab the book names. One was by Christopher Alexander, something about patterns, another by William White (I just remembered). Both worth a read, even though much has probably been written since their books.

What is the deal with your naming people as ghetto, miss princess?
gungasnake

Fri 17 Apr, 2015 10:22 pm
@PinkLipstick,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNbZcT8RXgE

0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
glitterbag

Sat 18 Apr, 2015 12:08 pm
@PinkLipstick,
It's an endearment many of us use when we encounter sensitive souls who have such a difficult time when they are forced to encounter rough sorts unsuitable to mingle with their betters. We apologize, your highness, for not recognizing your station in life. (Does that help?)
usery

Sat 18 Apr, 2015 11:24 pm
@PinkLipstick,
Quote:
How do you handle people like that?

I would intercede to protect the innocent.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Sun 19 Apr, 2015 08:56 am
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 19 Apr, 2015 08:58 am
@PinkLipstick,
PinkLipstick wrote:

Me and my 6 year old niece

My niece and I

0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 19 Apr, 2015 08:59 am
@PinkLipstick,
PinkLipstick wrote:

"This child bumped into you? I apologize in her stead."

did you use this phrasing in the 21st century?
jcboy

Sun 19 Apr, 2015 09:02 am
@PinkLipstick,
I haven’t ran into many white angry ghetto people since I moved out of Florida. Cool
Miller

Sun 19 Apr, 2015 12:11 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

I haven’t ran into many..

That says it all...Oh boy!!

0 Replies

glitterbag

Sun 19 Apr, 2015 01:08 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

I haven’t ran into many white angry ghetto people since I moved out of Florida. Cool

Come to Maryland we have all the white ghetto folks corralled on the Eastern Shore.
0 Replies

PinkLipstick

Sun 19 Apr, 2015 04:57 pm
@glitterbag,
Thank you for perpetuating the labeling of groups of people that fit a certain criteria pre-defined by society; you just helped me prove my point to ossobuco Smile

Now, ossobuco...or should I say Pot? Meet Mr. Kettle.
PinkLipstick

Sun 19 Apr, 2015 05:05 pm
@ehBeth,
The first letter of every sentence should be capitalized.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Sun 19 Apr, 2015 05:14 pm
@PinkLipstick,
PinkLipstick wrote:

Thank you for perpetuating the labeling of groups of people that fit a certain criteria pre-defined by society; you just helped me prove my point to ossobuco Smile

Now, ossobuco...or should I say Pot? Meet Mr. Kettle.

Hey, look everybody, pink lipstick is making a point only he/she understands.
PinkLipstick

Sun 19 Apr, 2015 05:15 pm
@jcboy,
Did you encounter grown adults that bully and scream at children over there?

That woman looked a little too old to be picking a fight with a 6 year old and to call the kid names after an apology was already given.
PinkLipstick

Sun 19 Apr, 2015 05:25 pm
@glitterbag,
Oh, look, glitterbag is out of the loop because he entered a conversation he didn't understand. It's okay, I'll dumb it down for you.

Ossobuco criticized me for labeling someone in the very same sentence wherein he labeled someone. Then, you perpetuated the label and explained that that's just a term lots of people use, and that you shouldn't get your panties in a bunch over it... Get it? You inadvertently defended my stance against ossobuco, and for that I thank you.
ossobuco

Sun 19 Apr, 2015 05:33 pm
@PinkLipstick,
I called you princess because you deride one person's actions as a mirror of a whole group of people who live in troubled places whom I take it you think are lower humans than you.

I'll add snot to princess.
glitterbag

Sun 19 Apr, 2015 05:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Dear Pink Lipstick, so are you a prince or a princess? Osso probably used the wrong word when addressing you, princess is a term of endearment....you however, are a whiny wussy. If that's the worst thing that happens in your or your nieces life, consider yourself a lucky boy.