Dang this could be me - Passenger Poked With Pen

Linkat

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 10:45 am
CHICAGO (AP) — A passenger aboard a Southwest Airlines flight from Chicago to Manchester, New Hampshire, was removed after allegedly poking a snoring passenger with a pen.

Airline officials say the woman was removed Thursday for ‘‘causing a disturbance.’’

The Chicago Fire Department was called to evaluate the man. Southwest spokeswoman Brandy King said in a statement that the man was not injured. He continued on the flight to New Hampshire, which was scheduled to leave Chicago’s Midway International Airport at 1:15 p.m., but didn’t depart until 3:04 p.m.

King said the woman who was removed was accommodated on another flight.

Not the snorer - I could see me doing this - poking someone - I have done this before when someone on the subway/train started leaning on me when they fell asleep. Probably not for snoring - but to stop them from touching me as the fall asleep on me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 2,200 • Replies: 29
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 10:48 am
At least she didn't use a stun gun or mace.
Linkat

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 10:49 am
@edgarblythe,
I would have considered a taser.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 11:02 am
Another example of adults freaking out without justification and at great expense. A guy gets poked and the medics need to be called? Someone needs to be removed from the flight? The problem could have been solved in 30 seconds by moving one of the two people who were not getting along.

America, the country where people routinely choose to go the long way around the block in a jalopy.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 11:24 am
@Linkat,
how hard did she poke him?

I've got a friend I've thrown pillows and slippers at when we've had to share hotel rooms and she snored snored snored - nothing wakes her up
Linkat

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 11:54 am
@ehBeth,
I don't know I copied the entire article. I mean, how hard can you poke someone with a pen?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 12:01 pm
Ok there is more in this article – I put the funny stuff here:

"I guess his arm kind of brushed over to her. And she just went nuts and started stabbing (him) with (her) pen," Sutton told CNN New Hampshire "He screamed really loud, almost like a little girl."

Mordarski said he yelled out to get flight attendants' attention after feeling pain in his arm.
"Imagine being asleep and then being stung by bees," he said, "and then waking up and going, owwww."

No serious injuries, anyway.

"Luckily he wore a thick long sleeve shirt or there would have been blood," Sutton wrote about the incident. "He will have a few bruises in the morning."

For full article -
http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/16/travel/southwest-airlines-passenger-poked-with-pen-feat/
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 12:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
And just for you I found this -

Eight people kicked off planes for ridiculous reasons:
1. Crying Too Much
2. Being An Actual Baby
3. Being Tall
4. Swearing
5. Smelling Bad
6. Wearing Baggy Jeans
7. Taking A Photograph
8. Coughing

http://www.shortlist.com/shortlists/eight-people-kicked-off-planes-for-ridiculous-reasons

maxdancona

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 12:20 pm
Poking someone with a pen crosses a line into the area of physical assault. I would be pretty upset if someone did this to me.

Linkat

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 12:51 pm
@maxdancona,
Would you scream really loud, almost like a little girl?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 01:43 pm
@Linkat,
I'm so old that I used to dress up to fly on an airplane and still have done that, somewhat, ever since. Now I never wear shoes with highish heels, in or out of an airport, unless you call Dansko professionals high heels. But.....

baggy jeans? I love old jeans, especially in my heyday as a painter when I'd have had many pairs of jeans of differing styles, not necessarily in the right year per style. They make pretty good painting 'smocks'. No, not those for an airplane ride, but still loved. Some of mine have had the weathered look from real weathering, as opposed to fashion trend. I've been interested in fashion, to watch trends, but not to follow it myself, thank you. I'm just interested in what kind of design is going on. Re flying now, six years from when I've last flown, if I were flying from Albuquerque to Nowhere, I might wear jeans for comfort, and they might be baggy, depending on the pair I take off the shelf of my closet. Hard to believe someone was put off a plane for that. Do they now pass out style sheets with ticket purchase?

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 01:53 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Poking someone with a pen crosses a line into the area of physical assault. I would be pretty upset if someone did this to me.

It is really insulting, the worst thing is not the little bit of possible pain, it is the underlying message "you are an untouchable".
ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 01:57 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

It is really insulting, the worst thing is not the little bit of possible pain, it is the underlying message "you are an untouchable".

Linkat wrote:
to stop them from touching me as the fall asleep on me.

it actually does seem that a touch may have been what started all of this, not snoring

and the guy who was poked just didn't want to sit next the poke-er after the incident - everything else appears to stem from interactions between the airline and poke-er.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 02:02 pm
@Linkat,
I dunno... I would hope that my scream would be a very manly scream.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 02:03 pm
@ehBeth,
Interesting, I would love to know what happened. You know what I am imagining......... that some guy had the gaul to say something insulting to a female, a feminist raised princess, and she flipped out. She has so rarely been talked to this way by a lowly man, it is rarely allowed under modern PC rules.

Hopefully we get to know how close my imagination is to reality.

And I take back what I said. If this woman was a full on bitch to this guy, and then turned that hostile female entitlement towards the cabin crew then she had to go.

The ESPN chicks rant to the impound lot people is this exact thing.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 02:12 pm
@hawkeye10,
You think he said something un-PC in his sleep? doesn't really match what his friend said - and he (the friend) was actually awake during the little event.

In any case, I wouldn't want to sit next to someone who poked me with a pen either. There probably would have been more of an incident if I'd been awakened by someone poking me - with or without a pen.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 02:17 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I'm so old that I used to dress up to fly on an airplane

I can recall working with my aunt on making a suit for flying to Europe back in 1971. Dove grey slacks, vest and a beautifully cut cape. Three or four coordinating lilac gingham tops. I was styling Laughing
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 17 Apr, 2015 02:23 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
You think he said something un-PC in his sleep?
I think before he went to sleep. At this point it is fantasy not fact, but I will be interested to know.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 06:37 pm
@ehBeth,
On the immediate issue, I wasn't there and don't know what happened. I've not been through whatever happened. I'll wait for the instagrams.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 06:38 pm
@ehBeth,
Let my guess that your aunt had an effect on your style ventures.
0 Replies