Book: 'Michael Moore Is A Big Fat Stupid White Man'

dlowan

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:23 am
But he's OUR big, fat, stupid white man.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:25 am
the population of the USA wrote:
white 77.1%, black 12.9%, Asian 4.2%, Amerindian and Alaska native 1.5%, native Hawaiian and other Pacific islander 0.3%, other 4% (2000)
note: a separate listing for Hispanic is not included because the US Census Bureau considers Hispanic to mean a person of Latin American descent (including persons of Cuban, Mexican, or Puerto Rican origin) living in the US who may be of any race or ethnic group (white, black, Asian, etc.)

Source: CIA - World Factbook.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:25 am
As if Moore had a choice where he was born and raised in the first place. False rhetoric contrived to counter what is perceived as false rhetoric still remains false rhetoric in itself.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:26 am
Exactly Lightwizard.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:26 am
Yes!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:28 am
Quote:
All of us on the left are going to enjoy the show. We know what we are being served, and we know that it is neither fair nor balanced. None the less, it is accurately voicing much of what we feel.

ebrown_p - YOU may know that it is not fair and balanced. We really cannot say anything about how this film will impact upon anyone but ourselves. I, and am assuming you, as an intelligent individual, evaluate what we read and see critically, whether it is Fox News, NBC, or a Michael Moore film.

I think that there are many many people who accept what they read, see on TV, and watch in the movies as the absolute truth. If they DO have a specific slant on things, they will seek out those sorts of media that reinforce their biases, and will usually not allow themselves to be confronted by ideas that are inimical to their most closely held beliefs.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:28 am
A l.9 million dollar flat in NYC is not particularly considered as posh. How much does one believe it costs to live in NYC? Moore is not anti-capitalist, he's anti-moneygrubbing capitalism. That he can make a 6M movie which potentially will bring in 50M or more is an American success story. I guess there are still those around here who would be envious of his success.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:38 am
dyslexia wrote:
very interesting evaluation, would you call this "critical analysis?" I guess I would call it "schlockucommentary"

I read this while drinking coffee: you owe me a new computer monitor, dys.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:38 am
Smile Lightwizard!
Flint and Davison are in the same county, practically right next to eachother. Hmm...
I know people from MA who live close to Boston, so tell others who may not know the area that they live in Boston. People who live in AZ might say they live in Phoenix even though they live in a suburb of Phoenix, etc. I don't see a lie here. Well, except for the ones in the original posting.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:43 am
Quote:
A l.9 million dollar flat in NYC is not particularly considered as posh.

Sadly true. But you have to admit LW, that the vast majority of the working stiffs on the left cannot even come NEAR buying a place of that level of cost.

That's what the outer boroughs are for! Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:01 am
Flint and Davison have somewhat rebound from the time that Moore addressed the plant closing in his documentaries.

When these two ranters who wrote this book can make a great film documentary perhaps I could give them some credance.

So what if the average working stiff can't afford a 1.9 million dollar flat. Doesn't that mean because Moore (who was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth) should be denied paying much less than the average wealthy conservative elite?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:02 am
Let's decide how many jobs Moore as created with the sales of his books and movies. He doesn't keep all the money.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:02 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:

I think that there are many many people who accept what they read, see on TV, and watch in the movies as the absolute truth. If they DO have a specific slant on things, they will seek out those sorts of media that reinforce their biases, and will usually not allow themselves to be confronted by ideas that are inimical to their most closely held beliefs.

These people are legitimate targets. Of course it would be better to find a way to get these people to think critically for themselves, but this has been shown to be difficult.

People are constantly bombarded with intellectually questionable partisan slant. They are faced with over-hyped terror threats. They are fed 9/11 as a reason for Iraq.

The current administration has shamelessly used the media to manipulate the American public.

I would love it if all Americans would take the time to make intelligent informed decisions based on credible information and an understanding of both sides of the issues.

But barring that I would prefer that people who accept what they see on TV and the movies listen to Moore than to Bush and Cheney.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:12 am
Facts are constantly added up to try and put together the truth. Can't really be done to perfection. Of course, this is Moore's version of what he believes is the truth. I don't believe he believes everyone will follow it or come to the same conclusions. He is not hiring a staff to sue people, he has put together a staff of experts to refute the refuters as he no longer has personal time to do so. Of course, the film will age and some of the parts may not equal a whole. That's to be expected with an op-ed polticial documentary which is almost always a lited fuse. Depends on whose face the bomb might eventually blow up in. I suspect it won't be Moore's.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:24 am
Lightwizard wrote:
So what if the average working stiff can't afford a 1.9 million dollar flat. Doesn't that mean because Moore (who was not born with a silver spoon in his mouth) should be denied paying much less than the average wealthy conservative elite?

Ehm, I think the point wasnt that he had no right living in a nice NYC apartment - but that if he does, he shouldnt still list his home town as Flint, like Moore apparently did last year writing a letter to the Chicago Sun-Times. Thats brought up as an example of dishonesty.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:26 am
Re: Book: 'Michael Moore Is A Big Fat Stupid White Man'
McGentrix wrote:
Howlers in 'Columbine': Some of the distortions and falsehoods that plague the movie "Bowling for Columbine" are already well known, but Hardy and Clarke add details and reveal new whoppers.

# Moore claims that National Rifle Association taunted the Denver area and the nation by holding "a large pro-gun rally" only days after the killings at Columbine High School.

In reality, the annual meeting had been planned well in advance, was required by law, could not have been changed in time to another city, and was stripped of all rallies and ceremony in deference to the community.

# The movie depicts Charlton Heston as making his famous "cold, dead hands speech" in Denver.

In reality, the remarks came a year later in Charlotte, N.C., and Moore spliced bits of footage from that and another speech for maximum distortion. "It is a lie, a fraud, and a few other things," Hardy and Clarke write.

# The fantasy film claims that Heston exploited a school shooting in Mount Morris, Mich., by staging another "big pro-gun rally" in October 2002.

In reality, Heston's appearance came eight months after the shooting, at a get-out-the-vote event in nearby Flint. Others campaigning in the area around that time included Al Gore, George W. Bush … and Moore himself, touting Ralph Nader.

The authors conclude: "Bowling for Columbine has less documentary value than the average Bugs Bunny cartoon. You see Heston giving a speech - but it's doctored. You see history - but unconnected facts are given a particular Moorewellian spin. You hear that a factory is making weapons of mass destruction - actually, it's building satellite launch platforms. You're led to believe that a rally was a response to a shooting, but it turns out it was eight months later, in anticipation of an election. You watch a Bush-Quayle campaign ad, but in reality it was an ad Moore himself assembled."

This is the part I'm interested in - anyone got the info to counter these allegations of false, fabricated or misleading information in Bowling for Columbine?
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:34 am
No "right" to live in a posh NY apt?
So he's supposed to donate all his money to charity? Wow, there are a million holes in that logic!
I don't live in my hometown, but that's where I come from!
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:36 am
Somehow leftish people seem to have the 'task' to live in poverty, or be named fake by a bunch of conservatives.
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:37 am
I always say; "You can always tell as book is doing well when it spawns other books".

If the "Busheep" need reassurance that someone attacking their "Shepherd" is wrong fine.

But I know that F9-11 is something I plan to see (I may even offer to act as a "guardian" for anyone underage who may want to see it:) )
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:37 am
He still maintains a residence in Flint.

The link to the sites countering the above claims have been posted more than once. I do not have the time to post them again (I didn't post the original links). I immediately did pick up on the elusive edit (doctored would assume he was saying something he didn't say) in the montage of Heston's speeches. Isn't it an interesting coincidence that the NRA annual meeting was scheduled?
0 Replies