VICIOUS, BLOODTHIRSTY BASTARDS

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 11:34 pm
Fine, Finn, because that was pretty lame anyway, and I'm growing bored with trying to get you to see why when I have to do it for each and every post!
Laughing
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 10:18 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Again the Hydra myth. This is a nonsensical argument adopted, with vigor, by the Left.

No more nonsensical than, for instance, the "flypaper theory" of drawing terrorists to Iraq so that the US military can kill them in one, big bunch.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
The number of terrorists is, clearly, finite. Otherwise, all of the predictions that that the "Arab Street" will rise in response to invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq would have credibility.

Quite true, the number of terrorists is finite. But then the number of Viet Cong was also finite, as are the numbers of Chechen rebels, Shining Path guerrillas, and IRA gunmen. Determining that there are finite numbers of terrorists is hardly a revelation. The hard part is reducing that finite number down to a point where it no longer poses a problem.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 10:36 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
For every terrorist you stomp down with your Big Boot of Democracy, Bill, two more will pop up.

Extremely violent responses on our part will lead to extremely violent responses on their part as well... and we are a much bigger target than they are.

Perhaps we should, I don't know, do two things at once: try to stop terrorism by going after known terrorists, and trying to figure out what WE are doing to encourage all this hate towards us. To imagine that the US is not at all responsible for the events that are taking place today would be folly.

Cycloptichorn

To my way of thinking, "trying to imagine what we are doing to encourage all this hate towards us" is akin to blaming the victim for being raped. There is never any justification for rape, just as there is never any justification for terrorist acts that deliberately target civilians.

I also take issue with the hydra theory of terrorism. I do not believe the Waffen-SS were any less fanatical than the current crop of terrorists we are facing. I do believe the historical record says you deal with them exactly the same way. Not pretty and not humanitarian. But historically, it works. And if we are serious about western civilization surviving, then perhaps we ought to be concentrating on doing what has historically worked.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 10:43 pm
joefromchicago wrote:

No more nonsensical than, for instance, the "flypaper theory" of drawing terrorists to Iraq so that the US military can kill them in one, big bunch.

Not really, but in any case, the Flypaper Theory is neither a stated objective of the Administration, nor a particular favorite of the Right, whereas the Hydra Theory is repeated by the Left ad nauseum.

joe wrote:

Quite true, the number of terrorists is finite. But then the number of Viet Cong was also finite, as are the numbers of Chechen rebels, Shining Path guerrillas, and IRA gunmen. Determining that there are finite numbers of terrorists is hardly a revelation. The hard part is reducing that finite number down to a point where it no longer poses a problem.

And you are saying here...what?

Actually, determining there is a finite number of terrorists is quite a revelation to proponents of the Hydra Theory.

Obviously, it is a hard task to eliminate the finite number of terrorists, but that doesn't argue against attempting it.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 10:43 pm
I'm unclear, finn, on what evidence you base your claim that the 'hydra' theory is false. That is, if we define it the way it normally is defined.

Terrorist attacks worldwide are up. Terrorist attack in Iraq are WAY up.

The big fist theory (let's call it that) has what precedent examples to back it up? Israel, perhaps?

As joe points out above, it's pretty easy to make an argument that if we kill all of x, therefore all of x will be dead. Occam does a similar move above too. We ought to be ruthless with bad guys. Sure. But how do we spot them? They are of suspicious complexion? Abu Ghraib demonstrates how wrong 'justice' can go when folks get too eager to get them bad guys.

Take Salem. One of the predictable (or it ought to have been) consequences of that happy bit of history revealed in subsequent research was that the folks charging witchcraft just happened to charge other folks whose property lay adjacent, and whose property then came under the ownership of the accuser.

Our justice institutions exist because we've had more than enough experience to demonstrate that we need protection from ourselves. Setting oneself up (or one's nation) as the sole arbiter of good and evil, and as the sole voice defining proper justice, would be quite fine given blessed sainthood in the one at the top. But that is a description of only my mother, and she's dead as a doornail.
0 Replies

TruthKeeper

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 11:11 pm
I wonder, do you ever ask yourselves why is there is terroists actions against US. I think that any action is made by Al Qaeeda the goverenment is responsible of it. The US government is supporting Israel in every torrest action made by Isreal , the US goverenment is supporting Isreal in killing people. The US government is know practicing terrost against Iraqi people. and saying that is DEMOCRACY.
And after that you are saying Al Qaeeda.
If we would like to solve the problem than we should start from the government. either Bush or Kerry they both of them will by threatenig your life as long they are controlled by ISRAEL.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 11:19 pm
hello truthkeeper

I don't think I can agree with you that US policy is "controlled" by Israel. How could Israel do that?

I do think that American policy is "influenced" by its relationship with Israel, and I think also that this relationship is partly destructive to both countries.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 11:26 pm
blatham wrote:
As joe points out above, it's pretty easy to make an argument that if we kill all of x, therefore all of x will be dead. Occam does a similar move above too. We ought to be ruthless with bad guys. Sure. But how do we spot them? They are of suspicious complexion? Abu Ghraib demonstrates how wrong 'justice' can go when folks get too eager to get them bad guys.

Take Salem. One of the predictable (or it ought to have been) consequences of that happy bit of history revealed in subsequent research was that the folks charging witchcraft just happened to charge other folks whose property lay adjacent, and whose property then came under the ownership of the accuser.

What is this suspicious complexion stuff? Have you heard someone shouting "kill the towelheads" on this thread? I haven't. Abu Ghraib, while it does show a severe failure in oversight, is never the less a much friendlier place to do time than it was last year, don't you think? That makes a very lousy example considering the activities that used to take place there. Idea

You appear to be confusing two different issues here, anyway. Are you really under the impression that increased pressure on criminals mandatory increases abuses against innocents? Do you do any subtracting for the innocents that won't be victims of our targets in the future? (Saddam and his sadistic children). I'll grant you that bad things will happen during this like every war, but will ask you to stop short of comparing the men and woman protecting you and I to the misguided morons that burned "witches". Rolling Eyes

As for setting ourselves up as the sole arbiter of good and evil and voice defining justice... open your eyes. Saddam was already found guilty by the world for committing undeniable crimes. All we've done is revoke his probation. We were hardly alone and the only folks who need be ashamed are the ones who stood by and watched us do the work. Did it ever occur to you that if the entire world would have united in telling Saddam we've had enough with his BS, that perhaps he would have listened? Idea
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 11:29 pm
Are you up there arguing with yourself Blatham? Drunk

Tough isn't it? :wink:
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 11:52 pm
O'Bill,

Quote:
Did it ever occur to you that if the entire world would have united in telling Saddam we've had enough with his BS, that perhaps he would have listened?

Can you imagine the sort of reponse that this would have gotten had it been posed by an antiwar liberal?

I think you, especially, would have jumped on it.

Ironic. Smile
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 07:13 am
Adrian wrote:
O'Bill,

Quote:
Did it ever occur to you that if the entire world would have united in telling Saddam we've had enough with his BS, that perhaps he would have listened?

Can you imagine the sort of reponse that this would have gotten had it been posed by an antiwar liberal?

I think you, especially, would have jumped on it.

Ironic. Smile
I've reread this several times but I still can't think of a liberally biased parallel statement. My point was that the dissenting opinions (wolf-calling wussies in my book :wink: ) of France and Russia etc. may very well have convinced Saddam he could get away with more games. (Whole world was over broad, if that's your point)
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 07:59 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
blatham wrote:

What is this suspicious complexion stuff? Have you heard someone shouting "kill the towelheads" on this thread? I haven't.
I meant no implication of racism here. It's a problem of ascertaining guilt or reasonable grounds for assuming the possibility of guilt. As some 70or more percent of those in Abu Ghraib were deemed later to be innocents, then the question arises as to what criteria were in place such that American soldiers (or Brits) might have arrested and held them without recourse of any sort? We know now that simply speaking negatively about the occupation could be grounds. Abu Ghraib, while it does show a severe failure in oversight,
The failure is clearly more than just one of 'oversight', as the various memos out of the Justice Department and White House staff reveal, or the denial of Red Cross access reveals, etc. Please read Ignatieff's piece that I linked above. is never the less a much friendlier place to do time than it was last year, don't you think? That makes a very lousy example considering the activities that used to take place there. Idea
You justify here by comparing treatment under American forces to treatment under Sadaam. How far do you wish to take this logic? Would it have been OK if American's cut off three fingers rather than a full hand? Would it be OK if it was only a penlight stuffed up Iraqi assholes instead of a lightstick? Or OK if half the numbers of prisoners (some 70% innocent, remember) were stripped naked and threatened with dogs or chewed on by dogs? There are always justifications for inhumanity available. And adoption of them leads to legal and social codes which your constitution sought to avoid, recognizing the tendencies in human behavior to fail in precisely these ways.

You appear to be confusing two different issues here, anyway. Are you really under the impression that increased pressure on criminals mandatory increases abuses against innocents? Do you do any subtracting for the innocents that won't be victims of our targets in the future? (Saddam and his sadistic children). I'll grant you that bad things will happen during this like every war, but will ask you to stop short of comparing the men and woman protecting you and I to the misguided morons that burned "witches". Rolling Eyes
Bill...the comparison is to be found in my paragraph above, not in witch burning and the Iraq project. I brought up the Salem history to demonstrate why justice institutions are necessarily slow and careful and why we have learned to put the burden of evidence upon the accuser. Where we shortcut justice institutions, we are putting ourselves at risk of turning back the gains in civility, fairness and caution which a lot of history has shown to be necessary, because we are all such imperfect creatures. There is, with almost no question, NO significant evolution in our noggins for some fifty thousand years. We are the same people who rode out of the steppes hacking off childrens' heads, or who delighted in watching some English thief drawn and quartered, or who watched smoke rising from the chimneys in Auchwitz. All that protects us from such community behaviors are our institutions. Some might point to the church and others, like me, will point to a long and hard-fought battle that has culminated in a body of English/American jurisprudence.

As for setting ourselves up as the sole arbiter of good and evil and voice defining justice... open your eyes. Saddam was already found guilty by the world for committing undeniable crimes. All we've done is revoke his probation. We were hardly alone and the only folks who need be ashamed are the ones who stood by and watched us do the work. Did it ever occur to you that if the entire world would have united in telling Saddam we've had enough with his BS, that perhaps he would have listened? Idea
This is an argument about whether the war was justified, or whether other options might have been more productive. I didn't think it justified at the time, and events have unfolded in the way many of us thought they might, which is, not happily. The US had no special ownership of either wisdom or goodness. Nor has it any special claim to 'evil' or to selfishness. It's a mix of things, like all states. But once again, read Ignatieff's piece. He agreed with you on the justification for war (his grounds were humanitarian), but he has wise things to say about arrogance and American exceptionalism. That's a failing in the American psyche and it is a danger.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 08:34 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:

Not really, but in any case, the Flypaper Theory is neither a stated objective of the Administration, nor a particular favorite of the Right, whereas the Hydra Theory is repeated by the Left ad nauseum.

Two comments:

1. To the extent that the administration has ever had any theory or objective, it endorsed (if but for a brief moment) the "Flypaper Theory." Or, at any rate, that is one of the explanations given for Bush's infamous "bring 'em on!" challenge.

2. If the "Hydra Theory" has been repeated ad nauseum by the left, then surely you would easily be able to find multiple sources for this contention. I'd settle for three.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
And you are saying here...what?

That we should take no comfort in the knowledge that there is a finite number of terrorists, just as the knowledge that there was a finite number of Viet Cong did nothing to win the Vietnam War.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Actually, determining there is a finite number of terrorists is quite a revelation to proponents of the Hydra Theory.

To say that there is a finite number of terrorists now, and to use that as evidence that the "Hydra Theory" is flawed, is akin to saying that there is a finite number of people in the world now. That is very true, but then that provides merely a snapshot view of the world. Even the proponents of the "Flypaper Theory" believed that terrorists would be able to recruit more members to their ranks.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Obviously, it is a hard task to eliminate the finite number of terrorists, but that doesn't argue against attempting it.

Nor does it argue in favor of ignoring the roots of terrorism and the realities of counter-insurgency warfare.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 12:48 pm
Damn it Blatham. I only recently mastered nested quotes, now you go all colorful on me? Why don't you just go ahead and use some girly font or something while you're at it?

blatham wrote:
I meant no implication of racism here. It's a problem of ascertaining guilt or reasonable grounds for assuming the possibility of guilt. As some 70or more percent of those in Abu Ghraib were deemed later to be innocents, then the question arises as to what criteria were in place such that American soldiers (or Brits) might have arrested and held them without recourse of any sort? We know now that simply speaking negatively about the occupation could be grounds.

The abuse at Abu Ghraib is something to be ashamed of. The presence of innocent people there who may have only spoken negatively about the occupation is not. I admire your sense of fair play but you have to understand sometimes protections of individual rights have to take a back seat to protection period. During periods of martial law for instance, there may be a curfew... and you don't want to violate it. If one of our troops instinctually thinks a guy is a threat and instinct says detain him, then detain him. That's just prudence. It is a temporary solution to a temporary problem. Once things settle down; I'll agree with you that personal freedoms are monumentally important. Right now nothing is more important than keeping the peace process moving and if that means arresting some innocent people temporarily, so be it.

blatham wrote:
You justify here by comparing treatment under American forces to treatment under Sadaam. How far do you wish to take this logic? Would it have been OK if American's cut off three fingers rather than a full hand? Would it be OK if it was only a penlight stuffed up Iraqi **** instead of a lightstick? Or OK if half the numbers of prisoners (some 70% innocent, remember) were stripped naked and threatened with dogs or chewed on by dogs? There are always justifications for inhumanity available. And adoption of them leads to legal and social codes which your constitution sought to avoid, recognizing the tendencies in human behavior to fail in precisely these ways.

No, I don't justify anything by that comparison. I point out a bit of hypocrisy that many anti war folks refuse to recognize. If not for the hated Bush's invasion, not only would there still exist poor treatment at Abu Ghraib, but it would be 10 times as bad. Pointing this fact out is in no way akin to justifying the abuse that has taken place on our watch. Can you see the difference?

blatham wrote:
Bill...the comparison is to be found in my paragraph above, not in witch burning and the Iraq project. I brought up the Salem history to demonstrate why justice institutions are necessarily slow and careful and why we have learned to put the burden of evidence upon the accuser. Where we shortcut justice institutions, we are putting ourselves at risk of turning back the gains in civility, fairness and caution which a lot of history has shown to be necessary, because we are all such imperfect creatures. There is, with almost no question, NO significant evolution in our noggins for some fifty thousand years. We are the same people who rode out of the steppes hacking off childrens' heads, or who delighted in watching some English thief drawn and quartered, or who watched smoke rising from the chimneys in Auchwitz. All that protects us from such community behaviors are our institutions. Some might point to the church and others, like me, will point to a long and hard-fought battle that has culminated in a body of English/American jurisprudence.

We have no significant disagreement here... other than the exceptional times like I already described above. Your vivid examples are chilling but serve no purpose in describing the toppling of a brutal dictator or the TEMPORARY conditions at a detainment facility. Surely you recognize that during war you have to be a bit more efficient than the court system allows?

blatham wrote:
This is an argument about whether the war was justified, or whether other options might have been more productive. I didn't think it justified at the time, and events have unfolded in the way many of us thought they might, which is, not happily. The US had no special ownership of either wisdom or goodness. Nor has it any special claim to 'evil' or to selfishness. It's a mix of things, like all states. But once again, read Ignatieff's piece. He agreed with you on the justification for war (his grounds were humanitarian), but he has wise things to say about arrogance and American exceptionalism. That's a failing in the American psyche and it is a danger.
I'll chase that link a little later and get back to you with my thoughts on it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 01:00 pm
Quote:
Surely you recognize that during war you have to be a bit more efficient than the court system allows?

Really? You do?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 01:02 pm
"A state of war is not a blank check for the president when it comes to the rights of the nation's citizens" (06/28/2004 - Justice Sandra Day O'Connor )
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 01:17 pm
Quote:
Damn it Blatham. I only recently mastered nested quotes, now you go all colorful on me? Why don't you just go ahead and use some girly font or something while you're at it?

I just [heart] girly fonts.

Quote:
The abuse at Abu Ghraib is something to be ashamed of. The presence of innocent people there who may have only spoken negatively about the occupation is not. I admire your sense of fair play but you have to understand sometimes protections of individual rights have to take a back seat to protection period. During periods of martial law for instance, there may be a curfew... and you don't want to violate it. If one of our troops instinctually thinks a guy is a threat and instinct says detain him, then detain him. That's just prudence. It is a temporary solution to a temporary problem. Once things settle down; I'll agree with you that personal freedoms are monumentally important. Right now nothing is more important than keeping the peace process moving and if that means arresting some innocent people temporarily, so be it.

Granted that special situations and circumstances may arise where valid, or at least arguable, claims might be made as to temporarily bypassing normal procedures. Any civil disaster seems to fit into this category, or war, or insurgency. The debate that ensues will be one which looks to how far it is prudent to stretch normal rules. As it happens, the Supreme Court came down with findings today on the subject of prisoners' right to legal recourse before US courts. In the most important matters, they have not sided with the administration (check AP for data and link to findings). What does this tell us? Well, something we knew already...that both the military and this present administration hold a set of notions which probably is not congruent with the values of the Constitution or legal precedents. This finding was expected by many court observers (there has been some very good discussion at Slate, if you care to look at it). One function of this court and other courts is to act as a bulwark against some of our worse tendencies when we gain power, as you know, the balance idea. It may well be that one variance of policy philosophy between you and I relates to how much power ought to be in the hands of an administration. I am automatically suspicious of any address to 'efficiency' as that is precisely the same claim made by any autocrat as to why normal rules are 'quaint' (to use the White House counsel's word). I understand this isn't clear cut, but I wish to err in the direction of denying such powers so much as possible to an administration.

Quote:
No, I don't justify anything by that comparison. I point out a bit of hypocrisy that many anti war folks refuse to recognize. If not for the hated Bush's invasion, not only would there still exist poor treatment at Abu Ghraib, but it would be 10 times as bad. Pointing this fact out is in no way akin to justifying the abuse that has taken place on our watch. Can you see the difference?

Yes, I can see the difference. But still, it functions as a justification. The behaviors and policies which led to Abu Ghraib ought best to be considered independent of anything that happened in that building earlier. To view it in this light is not hypocrisy, it is merely holding ourselves to our own standards, and disallowing the failure to match those civilized standards to be diluted by viewing them in relation to another irrelevant standard (what Sadaam did).
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 02:04 pm
blatham wrote:
Granted that special situations and circumstances may arise where valid, or at least arguable, claims might be made as to temporarily bypassing normal procedures. Any civil disaster seems to fit into this category, or war, or insurgency. The debate that ensues will be one which looks to how far it is prudent to stretch normal rules. As it happens, the Supreme Court came down with findings today on the subject of prisoners' right to legal recourse before US courts. In the most important matters, they have not sided with the administration (check AP for data and link to findings). What does this tell us? Well, something we knew already...that both the military and this present administration hold a set of notions which probably is not congruent with the values of the Constitution or legal precedents. This finding was expected by many court observers (there has been some very good discussion at Slate, if you care to look at it). One function of this court and other courts is to act as a bulwark against some of our worse tendencies when we gain power, as you know, the balance idea. It may well be that one variance of policy philosophy between you and I relates to how much power ought to be in the hands of an administration. I am automatically suspicious of any address to 'efficiency' as that is precisely the same claim made by any autocrat as to why normal rules are 'quaint' (to use the White House counsel's word). I understand this isn't clear cut, but I wish to err in the direction of denying such powers so much as possible to an administration.

Okay; so we agree that there are circumstances that call for temporary reductions in personal freedoms; good! We also agree that abuses that take place during, or because of these reductions need to be dealt with. I seriously doubt your take on punishment is any more stringent than my own so I doubt we'll have a debate over the treatment of those found guilty of crimes either. Precisely how much power the executive office should carry with it is a bit too broad to get into. I don't see an end in sight to such a debate.
What's Slate?

blatham wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Yes, I can see the difference. But still, it functions as a justification. The behaviors and policies which led to Abu Ghraib ought best to be considered independent of anything that happened in that building earlier. To view it in this light is not hypocrisy, it is merely holding ourselves to our own standards, and disallowing the failure to match those civilized standards to be diluted by viewing them in relation to another irrelevant standard (what Sadaam did).

Shocked Laughing Blatham, let me clear this up for you once and for all. I hereby state that it is my opinion that the prisoner abuses at Abu Ghraib by coalition forces (us) are 100% unacceptable. I am glad charges are being brought and I hope they are able to uncover exactly how high up the chain of command it goes and punish accordingly from top to bottom. I SEE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING THAT COULD JUSTIFY THOSE ABUSES. Anything that Saddam may or may not have done there is in my opinion immaterial and shouldn't and I'm sure won't be brought up during those proceedings. Got it?
In a related issue; I think monsters like Saddam who like to torture people at prisons among other places need to be stopped. I am very glad our forces have stopped him from torturing people at places like Abu Ghraib. I do wonder why some people refuse to recognize this obvious fact while at the same time harping on and on about other, similar abuses that, in reality, pale in comparison. You feelin me yet?
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 04:09 pm
Nice quote, Walter.
One which many others have also said, in different words.
A whiter shade of pale is no excuse.
I maintain that it is possible to subdue our enemies without becoming like them, which we did, and that an American who loves the country and all it stands for should be outraged when she steps outside our self-imposed, humane boundaries, rather than making excuses that others did bad things too, and ours was less bad.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 09:39 pm
joefromchicago wrote:

Two comments:

1. To the extent that the administration has ever had any theory or objective, it endorsed (if but for a brief moment) the "Flypaper Theory." Or, at any rate, that is one of the explanations given for Bush's infamous "bring 'em on!" challenge.

You have yet to offer a link that established the Flypaper Theory was Administration policy, but, in any case, you've also not explained why you contend it is a nonsensical strategy.

2. If the "Hydra Theory" has been repeated ad nauseum by the left, then surely you would easily be able to find multiple sources for this contention. I'd settle for three.

Well, we can start with Cyclops' comment on this very thread:

"For every terrorist you stomp down with your Big Boot of Democracy, Bill, two more will pop up."

Then we can move to:

Posted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:59 am Post: 604414 - Will Bin Ladin's death effect the level of terrorism? AU1929

No matter who is responsible for the Madrid attacks, they are a reminder that in its fight against terrorism the United States faces a task reminiscent of Hercules's fight against the Hydra, the monster that sprouted new heads for each one severed. From the bombings in Morocco, Indonesia and Turkey last year, to the more recent suicide attacks in Iraq and Pakistan on the Shiite holy day of Ashura, it is clear that since the Sept. 11 attacks we have misunderstood the nature of global jihad..

And from there we can check out

NUMBER ONE

and

NUMBER TWO

and

NUMBER THREE

and

NUMBER FOUR

I know you requested only 3, but my cup runneth over, and I'm sure I would have relatively little trouble coming up with another 6.

That we should take no comfort in the knowledge that there is a finite number of terrorists, just as the knowledge that there was a finite number of Viet Cong did nothing to win the Vietnam War.

You are comparing apples and oranges. The Viet Cong were not fighting America alone, and the number of Islamic terrorists in the world today is almost certainly a fraction of the total of the NVA during the Vietnam War.
In any case, it is not a matter of taking comfort, but in recognizing that killing terrorists is not counter-productive as the Hydra Theory would hold.

To say that there is a finite number of terrorists now, and to use that as evidence that the "Hydra Theory" is flawed, is akin to saying that there is a finite number of people in the world now. That is very true, but then that provides merely a snapshot view of the world. Even the proponents of the "Flypaper Theory" believed that terrorists would be able to recruit more members to their ranks.

I don't see the kinship at all. The Hydra Theory holds that it is counter-productive to kill terrorists because with each killing two or more new terrorists will take the place of the one killed. This, for all intents and purposes, creates an infinite pool of terrorists.

This is quite different from the Flypaper Theory which may recognize that, for now, terrorists can recruit new members to replace some of their fallen, but holds that killing so many in one place will not only directly diminish their ranks but eventually retard recruitment. The Hydra Theory is certain that there is an inexhaustible number of angry Jihadists who are willing to sacrifice their lives. This is its largest flaw, and it is based on prejudice. The Muslims of the world are not a seething mass of religious fanatics, willing to climb over one another to give up their lives to destroy the infidels. It's the same prejudice that supports tireless, but inevitably incorrect, predictions that the Arab Street is going to explode with each new American provocation.

If life was so meaningless to them when compared with their political and/or religious zeal why is Iran the only Middle Eastern country (and not Arab by the way) to have a popular uprising within the last 50 years?

Nor does it argue in favor of ignoring the roots of terrorism and the realities of counter-insurgency warfare.

Of course it doesn't. Who has suggested that it does? Eliminating the existing number of terrorists through killing is not the only required approach in the war against terrorism, but it is a major one.
0 Replies