Jargon Pot Luck. Please bring something that sounds erudite.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 06:39 pm
@Ragman,
I do remember him. Well, not all he said.

Moving along, I'd like to introduce quantitative immunoglobulins, known in lab jargon as QIG.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 07:00 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

No kidding?

Ben Stein was a speechifier for Nixon at some point around that timeframe, I recall.

Oops, I am mistaken, it was William Saffire, who coined nattering nabobs....I screwed up. Buchanan also worked for Nixon, but he was a special assistant. When Nixon resigned, Haig recommended Buchanan to be Ambassador to South Africa, but Ford refused.

I had to look it up, I was positive Buchanan penned that phrase, but I was
wrong.
neologist

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 07:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Acronym salad

I'll try

Asexual
Rutabaga
Foundation

Woof!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 07:08 pm
@Ragman,
Pusillanimous pussyfooters
glitterbag

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 07:16 pm
@neologist,
Oooo nice one!
glitterbag

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 08:22 pm
@glitterbag,
You know my Grandmother (Although Irish) made the most erudite sour beef and potato carbuncles. Tasty!
firefly

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 12:27 am
@glitterbag,
My grandmother's signature dish was a salubrious soufflé with a side salad of dangling participles, split infinitives, and minced words.

Her miniature abridged hagiographies are perfect just desserts for a jargon pot luck.
roger

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 12:37 am
We need OMGDavid. Since his departure, there is nothing that can't be digressed into a foodie thread.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 01:14 am
As one of the main quidnuncs here, I couldn't stay away from this thread any longer. Do all the words have to be real? Or is one allowed to testiculate?
Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 01:18 am
@Lordyaswas,
What now?
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 01:18 am
@Setanta,
Well, once I've had a shower, of course.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 01:38 am
My favourite TV Porgramme for this sort of thing was 'Yes Minister'.

A typical exchange between the Minister, Jim Hacker, and his Civil Servant, Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Sir Humphrey: Minister, I have something to say to you which you may not like to hear.

Jim Hacker: Why should today be any different?

Sir Humphrey: Minister, the traditional allocation of executive responsibilities has always been so determined as to liberate the ministerial incumbent from the administrative minutiae by devolving the managerial functions to those whose experience and qualifications have better formed them for the performance of such humble offices, thereby releasing their political overlords for the more onerous duties and profound deliberations which are the inevitable concomitant of their exalted position.

Jim Hacker: I wonder what made you think I didn't want to hear that?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 01:45 am
Fresco's spiritual father . . .

FBM

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 02:01 am
This thread is a cacophony of obfuscation, verbosity and self-deprecating, pusilanimous punditry.

Imma fittin' ta go git me sump'in ta eat.
roger

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 02:02 am
@FBM,
Izzat anything like persiflage?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 02:44 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

My grandmother's signature dish was a salubrious soufflé with a side salad of dangling participles, split infinitives, and minced words.

I like pie and chips.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 03:26 am
@roger,
roger wrote:

Izzat anything like persiflage?

One occasionally indulges in superfluous jocularity, yes.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 05:01 am
@Setanta,
I had forgotten Irwin Corey. Razz
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 05:33 am
@glitterbag,
You (and I) have it correct about Saffire being the originator. My additional comment (and sidebar) was to note that Ben Stein was also in this speechwriting mix..in Nixon's reign.

By the way, in checking out the Nabob quote, I ran into this awesome article that further explains the Saffire quote and Spiro 's role when he made his speech. Here's a great link to the whole slightly longer and illustrious speech/quote: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2006/07/10/nattering-nabobs
"He inscribed himself in history, and in famous-quotation anthologies, forever, when he said, “In the United States today, we have more than our share of nattering nabobs of negativism. They have formed their own 4-H club—the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history."

It further underscores the historic and deepening split which have continued to this day ... coming to a head around the early-'70s with the Executive branch and vituperative assaults on media.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 05:42 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

As one of the main quidnuncs here, I couldn't stay away from this thread any longer. Do all the words have to be real? Or is one allowed to testiculate?

By all means testiculate as you wish. We need to broaden our horizons. I should mention that I'm not the OP, but I hope he will correcifute if I've miscarried his idea.
0 Replies