What's the difference between telemarketing and cold calling?

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2019 07:25 pm
Hi. I should know the difference between these two terms, but I am not an expert on technical work- or business-related jargon.

Telemarketers work in an office and are paid to call people up and solicit people to buy certain goods and/or services to to sign up to join their company as employees. I used to work part-time as a telemarketer for a home security and heating oil company years ago.

Doesn't cold calling involve soliciting people to buy certain goods and/or services to sign up to join their company? Or is there more to it than that?

I've worked for certain work-from-home companies that required me to call people and solicit them to sign up to join companies, and/or to buy certain goods and/or services from companies.

Please help- thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,201 • Replies: 8
No top replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 30 Aug, 2019 07:45 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Telemarketers work in an office and are paid to call people up and solicit people to buy certain goods and/or services and/or to sign up to join their company as employees.

FIXED.
0 Replies

Jewels Vern

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 08:53 am
@JGoldman10,
Cold calling is when you go to an office in person without an appointment.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 09:06 am
@JGoldman10,
The difference is slight, some telemarketers may be calling people who have already indicated they're interested in hearing about product/service, otherwise it's the same.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 10:45 am
@Jewels Vern,
Cold calling doesn't have to be in person. It can be on the phone, through email or even chat or other messaging.

Cold calling essentially means contacting someone to give them a sales pitch, with no indication on their part that they're interested.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 02:41 pm
@JGoldman10,
Telemarketing is selling over the phone. Cold calling is trying to sell to someone that you have not had any contact with...for example pulling out the telephone book calling a random number orrandomally going door to door and trying to sell them a set of encyclopedias.

You can use cold calling while you are a telemarketer. But thus is typically not the only way to telemarket...you could call family, friendsmy other associates or people that have already shown an interest in what you are selling so you don't need to cold call in order to telemarket.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 05:22 pm
@Linkat,
Emailing random people whose names I find on a list about some business I'm, or my mother and I, are involved with, according to Jespah, is cold calling.

Is snail mailing info to random people info about some business I'm, or my mother and I, are involved with cold calling too?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 31 Aug, 2019 05:26 pm
This is what I was told elsewhere:

"Cold calling is a segment of telemarketing industry. In cold calling you the seller are contacting a potential buyer without that buyer expecting contact from you, can be call, door bell ring, or e-mail.

Telemarketing could also include people calling the number they saw on a sign that got them interested in your product, it does not have to be outgoing calls. You can telemarket for research to see if there is any interest, and not actively try to sell a thing."
0 Replies

beantownmike

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 12:52 pm
@JGoldman10,
I'm a telemarketer!I meant to say I'm a professional cold caller!

No just kidding but seriously cold calling is the action Telemarketer is generally the label of the person who does the action.

I'd be willing to bet money that on average 70% of people working that kind of job (I NEVER Gamble!!)
0 Replies