So, Any thoughts on Bibi Netantahu's address to Congress

izzythepush

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 01:28 am
@glitterbag,
Bolton, like his master Bush, did everything he could to facilitate the growth of extremist Sunni Islam. With Iran out of the way ISIS will be able to expand exponentially.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 01:42 am
@izzythepush,
Bolton is an asshat squared to the 8th power.
revelette2

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 09:16 am
@glitterbag,
In this case, it wouldn't be Americans who were killed, from what I understand, they want Israel to bomb Iran, Iranians would be killed as though there is not already enough violence.

Personally I understand completely why Iran would want a nuclear bomb, they are threatened daily with Israel and nut cases in the US and Sunni Muslims. I suppose every nation on earth should have nuclear weapons as no one actually ever gives them up once they have them.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 09:28 am
@revelette2,

These people should be banned from humanity!
korkamann

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 11:46 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:

Bolton is an asshat squared to the 8th power.

My best friend since college, Melody Townsel, was stationed in Kyrgyzstan on a US AID project. During her stay there, she became embroiled in a controversy in which the oh-so-diplomatic John Bolton was a key player. She described the incident in a letter to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee members (who have thus far responded with a yawn), and I wanted to share it with a larger audience.
Here's a small taste:

"Mr. Bolton proceeded to chase me through the halls of a Russian hotel -- throwing things at me, shoving threatening letters under my door and, generally, behaving like a madman."
_________
Here's the entire text of her letter:
Dear Sir:

I'm writing to urge you to consider blocking in committee the nomination of John Bolton as ambassador to the UN.

In the late summer of 1994, I worked as the subcontracted leader of a US AID project in Kyrgyzstan officially awarded to a HUB primary contractor. My own employer was Black, Manafort, Stone & Kelly, and I reported directly to Republican leader Charlie Black.

After months of incompetence, poor contract performance, inadequate in-country funding, and a general lack of interest or support in our work from the prime contractor, I was forced to make US AID officials aware of the prime contractor's poor performance.

I flew from Kyrgyzstan to Moscow to meet with other Black Manafort employees who were leading or subcontracted to other US AID projects. While there, I met with US AID officials and expressed my concerns about the project -- chief among them, the prime contractor's inability to keep enough cash in country to allow us to pay bills, which directly resulted in armed threats by Kyrgyz contractors to me and my staff.

Within hours of sending a letter to US AID officials outlining my concerns, I met John Bolton, whom the prime contractor hired as legal counsel to represent them to US AID. And, so, within hours of dispatching that letter, my hell began.

Mr. Bolton proceeded to chase me through the halls of a Russian hotel -- throwing things at me, shoving threatening letters under my door and, generally, behaving like a madman. For nearly two weeks, while I awaited fresh direction from my company and from US AID, John Bolton hounded me in such an appalling way that I eventually retreated to my hotel room and stayed there. Mr. Bolton, of course, then routinely visited me there to pound on the door and shout threats.

When US AID asked me to return to Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan in advance of assuming leadership of a project in Kazakstan, I returned to my project to find that John Bolton had proceeded me by two days. Why? To meet with every other AID team leader as well as US foreign-service officials in Bishkek, claiming that I was under investigation for misuse of funds and likely was facing jail time. As US AID can confirm, nothing was further from the truth.

He indicated to key employees of or contractors to State that, based on his discussions with investigatory officials, I was headed for federal prison and, if they refused to cooperate with either him or the prime contractor's replacement team leader, they, too, would find themselves the subjects of federal investigation. As a further aside, he made unconscionable comments about my weight, my wardrobe and, with a couple of team leaders, my sexuality, hinting that I was a lesbian (for the record, I'm not).

When I resurfaced in Kyrgyzstan, I learned that he had done such a convincing job of smearing me that it took me weeks -- with the direct intervention of US AID officials -- to limit the damage. In fact, it was only US AID's appoinment of me as a project leader in Almaty, Kazakstan that largely put paid to the rumors Mr. Bolton maliciously circulated.

As a maligned whistleblower, I've learned firsthand the lengths Mr. Bolton will go to accomplish any goal he sets for himself. Truth flew out the window. Decency flew out the window. In his bid to smear me and promote the interests of his client, he went straight for the low road and stayed there.

John Bolton put me through hell -- and he did everything he could to intimidate, malign and threaten not just me, but anybody unwilling to go along with his version of events. His behavior back in 1994 wasn't just unforgivable, it was pathological.

I cannot believe that this is a man being seriously considered for any diplomatic position, let alone such a critical posting to the UN. Others you may call before your committee will be able to speak better to his stated dislike for and objection to stated UN goals. I write you to speak about the very character of the man.

It took me years to get over Mr. Bolton's actions in that Moscow hotel in 1994, his intensely personal attacks and his shocking attempts to malign my character.

I urge you from the bottom of my heart to use your ability to block Mr. Bolton's nomination in committee.

Respectfully yours,

Melody Townsel
Dallas, TX 75208

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/04/15/106909/-Horrifying-personal-John-Bolton-story
0 Replies

korkamann

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 11:54 am
@glitterbag,
Even after that episode, Condoleezza Rice appointed him again to be Ambassador to the UN. Bolton's reputation at the UN appalled Dems. He was down everyone's throat, eventually forcing them to repeal the resolution label: "Zionism is Racism" Bolton was also very intimidating to others as if they were nothing. After Rice nominated him again to be UN Ambassador, the Democrats stalled with Joe Biden finally saying, "John Bolton isn't going anywhere." The Repukes thought they would wait until the Congress went into recess and sneak Bolton in, but the Dems made sure one of their own remained in session to prevent Bolton from returning to the UN.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 02:03 pm
@korkamann,
I wish I could tell you I'm shocked, but during my time with Intell, I encountered Ambassadors that were irresponsible drunks. Just having to deal with staffers from the House and Senate Intelligence Committees I encountered many bullies who assumed the rank of the elected official and harangued us unnecessarily to provide details with ridiculously short deadlines.

I think the one I resented the most was a demand from a staffer to provide the amount of file space in our office. We had to come up with numbers that would calculate the space in free standing file cabinets, the amount of storage over our desks as well as the space in our side file drawer. I realize that doesn't sound so bad, but the staffer had a mathematical equation they wanted us to use, gave us 12 hours for deadline, and the whole office came to a screeching halt in order to feverishly complete that task. We were unable to do any normal work until that
figure was provided. Everything except the measure mission ground to a halt for the entire time.

Condoleeza Rice probably had no real choice, because the war criminals Cheney, Rumsfeld and (I got stuck, I'm trying to remember the Hawk who later moved to the World Bank) whatever his name was were basically in charge of badgering the intelligence community to provide fiction that meshed with their conspiracy theories.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 02:06 pm
@glitterbag,
Paul Wolfowitz.

A bunch of jerks if ever there was one.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 02:19 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Yes, that cretin. I had friends at a sister agency that were getting pissed he was all over them to create "intelligence" that mirrored his paranoia. Just another older man looking for ways to send much younger men and women off to war.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 03:51 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
Personally I understand completely why Iran would want a nuclear bomb, they are threatened daily with Israel and nut cases in the US and Sunni Muslims. I suppose every nation on earth should have nuclear weapons

If you were the only person at risk from the resulting nuclear wars, it might be all right for you to gamble on blowing up the planet.

But the rest of us have to live here too. So if you don't mind, let's discard that silly idea and get on with blocking Iran's illegal nuclear weapons program.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 03:52 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

That's a bit extreme isn't it?

Even the Obama Administration is considering airstrikes as a last resort. And Israel does have the right to defend themselves from aggressors.

Granted, the people in the article are advocating airstrikes as a first resort, but that doesn't make them evil or anything just because they have a different opinion.

(For the record, I agree with Mr. Obama. Airstrikes should be an option, but only as the last resort.)
oralloy

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 03:52 pm
@korkamann,
korkamann wrote:
The Repukes thought they would wait until the Congress went into recess and sneak Bolton in, but the Dems made sure one of their own remained in session to prevent Bolton from returning to the UN.

And then the Democrats whined piteously when the Republicans did the very same thing to block Mr. Obama's nominees.

Now wait until the next Republican president takes office and the Republicans bring back that nuclear option that the Democrats were so frivolous with.....
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 03:54 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
no one actually ever gives them up once they have them.

Your right. Look at the Nuclear Proliferation Treaty. The U S and Russia got rid of the weapons that would completely destroy 10 sq. mi but kept the weapons that would destroy 100 sq. mi.. And every few days Putin threatens the rest of the world. Hell I wish I had the ability to acquire a few bombs.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 03:55 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Their human? Shocked Shocked Shocked
0 Replies

korkamann

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 04:12 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:

Condoleeza Rice probably had no real choice, because the war criminals Cheney, Rumsfeld and (I got stuck, I'm trying to remember the Hawk who later moved to the World Bank) whatever his name was were basically in charge of badgering the intelligence community to provide fiction that meshed with their conspiracy theories.

Paul Wolfowitz, one of the Neocon masterminds of Iraq invasion. He has been tapped to advise Jeb Bush in his run for the White House.

Oh I understand how many individuals in high position may have
unprincipled personalities. I mentioned Bolton because truly this twisted son of a B.... appears to be in a category all his own. He was known for intimidating the various members at the UN and they breathed a sigh of relief when he was prevented from returning.

He might be up for that post again is the powers that be take a disliking to America and a repuke gets in.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 1 Apr, 2015 06:32 pm
@korkamann,
Bolton is a Putz. Satan refused to buy his soul because he doesn't have one.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2015 05:30 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

That's a bit extreme isn't it?

Yeah, it was, Oralloy. I really dislike those guys...and I allowed that dislike to over-ride my usual careful, considered, polite, reasonable, modest self.
revelette2

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2015 11:06 am
@Frank Apisa,
Actually I didn't think it was so extreme, those who encourage Israel to just bomb Iran are inhumane, careless of loss of lives and destruction of countries.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2015 11:53 am
@revelette2,
Don't worry, they've just reached an agreement at Lausanne. Iran will no longer be treated like a Pariah state. Who do you think is the most pissed off right now, Netanyahu, Bolton, Boehner, or any number of fascist warmongering scumbags on A2K?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-32166814<br />
Brilliant news.
http://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i/keep-calm-and-smile-like-a-cheshire-cat.png
http://imgs.steps.dragoart.com/how-to-draw-cheshire-cat-easy-step-7_1_000000173248_5.png
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 2 Apr, 2015 12:09 pm
This thread is very educational, since it shows me how so many Gentiles of good will can talk about Jews as though they are quite the scholar of Jewish studies. Just like most non-Irish likely cannot really "feel" the concern for "the old sod' (Ireland) the way someone of Irish descent might, most Gentiles not only cannot really "feel" what Israel means to many Jews, but does not understand the Jewish psyche. Like Yul Brynner, in the role of the Pharoh, in the move The Ten Commandments, referred to Jews as those "stiffed necked Hebrews," the "average" modern gentile only sees Jews as that which his upbringing saw them collectively, in my opinion. Meaning, an Evangelical Christian sees Jews as the people that will set the stage in Zion, for the Second Coming. A wealthy American investor might see Jews collectively as a demographic that comes up with many money making innovations (i.e., more complex electronics, polio vaccines...). And, many of the popular culture sees Jews as a demographic that is different, and can never be like their demographic.

Regardless, I just find it humorous that many, with so little contact with Jewish folk on a personal level, have such strong feelings about this small number (14 million worldwide) that some still see as on the opposite side of the masses, even when they don't live in Europe? I just think it is human nature to often give little concern to those that are not of the majority. The same mindset of those that sacked Rome, perhaps (they came in human waves)?

It is Maundy Thursday. Doesn't anyone have someone's feet to wash?

By the way, for those of a scientific mindset, they should remember that most Ashkenazi Jews, that reflects the power brokers in Israel, are of Russian descent. And, over centuries they likely share some of the genetic traits of that gene pool. Perhaps, like the coyotes that were almost killed to extinction in the late 1800's, the descendants of the only survivors can today avoid the traps of modern man. Through the loving ways of Christian gentiles over two millenia, gentiles may have unknowingly been breeding a gene pool that has little respect for pompous opinions, that disregards realities?