What was the first video game you played?

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 06:45 pm
I used to play PONG on a sort of coffee-table version where you sat down. Asteroids and Space Invaders next, then Pacman. There was also a Star Wars number where you had to shoot down TieFighters and then strafe the DeathStar. Man, that takes me back!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 07:00 pm
Well I started at home with that silly game..was that pong? like the most boring tennis youve ever played?
My Dad owned a pool hall though...so this is scary...Tank I think it was called...just a tank going around a battlefield where you blew stuff up...then it was Space Invaders, then Asteroids...after that Dad sold the place and I had to go in search of stuff...yep! Pizza place for Ms. Pac Man <moment of pride...Junior, a few stages in>, bowling alley for Tempest, Donkey Kong, Galaga and Centipede.
The big night out was to the Arcade though...all the good ones...most of the list there that k posted.
I loved Star Wars...and there was another Star one...only one arcade in the area had it...it was like asteroids but in color with double ships...verra kewl...still havent been able to find that one Sad
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 07:05 pm
I recall a version of Pong that was inset in a tabletop in a pub - 1975/6 I think. I still love pacman in the gameboy - so much so that i've been thinking of getting a new gameboy - the old one's nearly nearly dead.

I've been quietly cursing Phoenix lately. She recommended Myway as an email service back-up. Well, doncha know they've got games and I am sooooooo addicted again. Collapse!!! Bounce-out!!! Diamond Mine!!! oh yeah the Lifesavers CreamSavers Mahjonng on the Nabisco site has been bothering me a bit lately as well. Back off, you Terry's orange chocolate !
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 07:07 pm
ahhhhh, Mr. Stillwater knew that tabletop Pong as well. It went very well after a pitcher or two of beer, and a few quarters for the jukebox as well.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 07:20 pm
No beer involved, I remember quite well that the first time I played it was at Mascot International Airport when waiting for my grandmother to fly in to Australia - she did this quite a few times in the 70's.

Tank that was another one, and there was a submarine game (probably called 'Submarine') where you had to drop depth charges from a moving boat - the subs released mines that floated to the surface and had to be avoided.

'Asteroids' was also interesting because you could customise the ship and the universe you played in, and you could fly out the top of the screen and re-emerge at the bottom.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 07:23 pm
TANK! Omigod
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 07:25 pm
Note to self: purchase travel rug (tartan), shapless and colourless cardigan, Thermos and folding travel chair. Life's ambitions reduced to finding spot in sun and mumbling about the Good Ol' Days :wink:
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 07:35 pm
dont forget the plaid shorts and dark socks over your sandals....
not that thats bad or anything

Smile

Submarine....lol

oh boy
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 07:36 pm
For some reason Im thinking Tank was like Battlefield or something and Submarine was Depth Charge...but, you know what else was being done then....I could have imagined it all
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 07:43 pm
i am the pong master!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 07:48 pm
Tank had those great graphics..... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 07:56 pm
hehehehe...didnt it though...black and green..woohoo
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:01 pm
hehehehehehe

Battletank

this is great!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:22 pm
one hit and you're out?!?! Good thing it doesn't cost a quarter!
And, it's not the same as standing on the little stage with your face in the viewer.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:26 pm
yes..it certainly is a different feeling...great nostalgia though!

whadda ya want for free???
Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 08:28 pm
great for free!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:16 pm
asteroids. Just last year I hooked up the old super Nintendo to let my grandson try a few games. I got hooked on Bomberman and persisted until I beat all 50 levels. Not bad for a bumbling all thumbs old coot.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:28 pm
Somebody tell me. Was pong the electronic ping pong game? I remember playing that in a lounge in '73.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:36 pm
i hope this link works!

It does! I love it! Pong the movie.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 6 Jan, 2003 09:48 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing Very Happy Laughing Laughing Very Happy Rolling Eyes

HYSTERICAL!!!!

yep..most boring tennis game on the planet

I dont remember it in arcade form though...we had it next to the cable box, which was also hard wired to the tv

Rolling Eyes

technoligy..I LOVE YA MAN
0 Replies