Five Reasons No Progressive Should Support Hillary Clinton

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 26 May, 2015 07:23 am
@carloslebaron,
Nancy Reagan Endorses Hillary Clinton

Hillary Clinton’s campaign doesn’t kickoff until Sunday but already she has received a big endorsement and it isn’t from a Democrat. Former First Lady Nancy Reagan is joining the “Ready for Hillary” club that will no doubt anger conservatives who idolize her deceased husband. Appearing on the History Channel’s fall series, First Ladies in Their Own Words, the actress-turned-first lady wrote off the 2016 GOP candidates and made a surprising announcement.

“The time for a woman to serve as our President has come – really, now is the time – and I think the idea of having a former First Lady as the leader of the free world is really quite a marvelous notion,” stated Nancy. “I want Hillary to win. Even though I admire two of the current potential Republican nominees, I have no interest in seeing either of them lead this country.”

This isn’t the first time that Nancy Reagan has split with the Republican Party, she has been a vocal supporter of stem cell research and supports gay marriage. Nancy did publicly come out in support of Mitt Romney during the 2012 presidential campaign.

http://nextgenerationamerica.com/2015/04/10/nancy-reagan-endorses-clinton/
revelette2

Reply Tue 26 May, 2015 07:29 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Real curious to any conservative reaction on this thread. I am wondering if they are either going to dismiss it or dump on her.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 26 May, 2015 07:39 am
@revelette2,
I think Ms Reagan was more progressive than she let on. Most of what passes as conservatives these days are Tea Partyiers who love Saint Ronnie without having a clue of who he was and what he did.
revelette2

Reply Tue 26 May, 2015 08:55 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Well, I don't really have a clue about Mrs. Reagan other than the Just Say No program, but Reagan began the tea party with his trickle down theory. He was a saint by no means.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 May, 2015 09:07 am
@bobsal u1553115,
back in April

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2015/04/bloomberg-falls-for-fake-nancy-reagan-report-205356.html

Quote:
Bloomberg Politics published a report about Nancy Reagan based off of fake news site NationalReport.net

The piece, headlined "Nancy Reagan gives her endorsement to... Hillary Clinton," quoted a supposed "Drudge Report" saying that the former first lady told the History Channel series "First Ladies In Their Own Words" that it's time for a female president.

"For the GOP, this is slightly awkward. Since Ronald Reagan's presidency, and especially since his death, the Gipper's legacy has been worshipfully celebrated, often claimed, by Republican candidates," the article stated.

The problem is: Reagan never said such a thing and the series was actually on C-SPAN, not The History Channel. The report seems to have come from NationalReport.net, a spoof news site that has tricked many a politician and news organization in the past. The piece was then posted to a website called DrudgeReport.com.co, which doesn't seem to be connected to the actual Drudge Report.

The piece, which was published just before 5 p.m. on Friday, was deleted within minutes.
revelette2

Reply Tue 26 May, 2015 09:52 am
@ehBeth,
Oh...
ossobuco

Reply Tue 26 May, 2015 10:26 am
@revelette2,
Oh...
(and thanks)
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 27 May, 2015 03:12 am
@hawkeye10,
The American people put Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush into the Oval Office...which already shows an amazing lack of concern about who holds that office.

Electing Hillary next year will show me they may be coming back to sanity.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 27 May, 2015 05:35 am
@revelette2,
He had a higher effective tax rate than Carter, Clinton and Obama, he raised taxes six out of eight years, and he left a significantly larger federal government when he left office than there was when he came in.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 27 May, 2015 06:38 am
Reagan set the toboggan in motion.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 27 May, 2015 06:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
At the very least, his worshipers have set something into motion.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 27 May, 2015 06:44 pm
Sanders Questions Why Clinton Won't Take A Stand On Pacific Trade Deal
By HOLLY RAMER Associated Press
May 27, 2015 — 2:11pm

CONCORD, N.H. — Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders says he doesn't understand why his Democratic rival Hillary Rodham Clinton hasn't taken a position on the sweeping trade deal the Obama administration is negotiating with Pacific nations.

A day after launching his presidential campaign, Sanders returned to New Hampshire, where a blunt voter, Jeanny Aldrich, told him she doesn't want Sanders merely to siphon votes from Clinton. Aldrich wants him to give the Clinton campaign a thrashing.

Sanders replied that he's never run a negative campaign and won't start now. But he says the campaign should feature civil debate on serious issues, like the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal he opposes. Clinton, who launched her presidential campaign in April, has expressed qualms about the agreement without weighing in for or against it.

http://www.startribune.com/sanders-wants-clinton-to-take-stand-on-trade-deal/305213261/
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 27 May, 2015 06:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
He made my university not free anymore. I'm still mad, and that was a long time ago. Luckily, it was just after I finished, lucky for me I mean, but not an untold huge number of others.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 08:16 pm
Martin O'Malley, former governor of Maryland, has announced his candidacy today. A first look at his views on the issues suggests to me that liberal Democrats may well find him worth considering.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 09:27 pm
@Thomas,
They probably will. Our Company is headquartered just North of Baltimore, and until 2005 I lived there, near the inner harbor. I got know OMalley while he was Mayor - very personable, but also a very slick pol with a faint, but persistent, odor of financial corruption, but in Baltimore that is hardly noticed. His 2nd term as Maryland governor didn't go too well and the public, irritated by a steady stream of tax increases and intrusive regulations, uncharacteristically (for that state) elected a Republican governor to follow him by a fairly wide margin.

He'll be there to pick up the pieces if Hillary craters, but I doubt that he can withstand careful scrutiiny.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 30 May, 2015 09:42 pm
Shamelessly stolen from PDiddie's blog:

The good and the not-so-much about Martin O'Malley
Think Progress with these five things.

Ended the death penalty in Maryland
Raised the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour
Legalized gay marriage
Implemented stricter gun control laws
Gave in-state tuition to the children of immigrants

Five Thirty Eight with at least these four things. Maybe one more (click over).

Hillary Clinton.
O’Malley has essentially zero support from Democratic office-holders.
He’s garnering just 2 percent support in Iowa, New Hampshire and national primary polls — far worse than Barack Obama at this point eight years ago.
O’Malley made some noise about running to Clinton’s left, but Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders is already occupying that ideological space. Meanwhile, O’Malley has been attacked from the left for his policing strategy during his time as Baltimore mayor.

O'Malley came to Houston and spoke at the Johnson-Rayburn-Richards dinner to Harris Democrats in 2013. Even Matt Drudge likes him (that's a false flag). The former governor of the Terrapin State does cut an impressive jib: tall, fit, handsome fellow. And he's correct on many of the issues Democrats might be looking for in a presidential candidate in any other year but 2016. But it's going to take lot more than good looks and good policy positions to gain some traction in the D primary at this point.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2015 12:52 pm
@Thomas,
I have been looking at Hillary lately, it might be just me, I imagine I will get pounced on from all kinds of folks for all sorts of reasons, but she seems to not look well, like she is already run down. I am just not sure she is up for being President for eight years unless she does a lot of delegating. After all, look how much Obama has aged since he took office. It seems to be a grueling job.

I really like O'Malley. I wish people in my party would give him a chance. I think he could take on any of those in the republican ticket.
Thomas

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2015 01:44 pm
@georgeob1,
Thanks, George, that was interesting.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 5 Jun, 2015 01:56 pm
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:
she seems to not look well, like she is already run down. I am just not sure she is up for being President for eight years unless she does a lot of delegating.

I agree. President of the US is a grueling job, and Hillary Clinton (now 68) would be the oldest American ever to get it. And it troubles me that her most-often mentioned competitors on the Democratic side are Joe Biden (now 73) and Bernie Sanders (now 74). So unless the vetting process confirms georgeob1's suspicion that O'Malley is corrupt, I would prefer him simply for being young enough to handle the stress and for the purpose of choosing Democratic leaders of the future over Democratic leaders of the past.
0 Replies