Turning The Ballot Box Against Republicans

maporsche

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 03:27 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

You are correct naming of them is common. Having a bunch of barley educated 20 something brats demanding the name change of a building is BS.

I would love to be barley educated. Think of all the varieties of beer you would make!
Baldimo

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 03:33 pm
@maporsche,
Oops misspelling.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 03:35 pm
@maporsche,
You also need hops for that! Know any rabbits?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 03:45 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
Re: maporsche (Post 6242948)
Oops misspelling.

Don't sweat it. We expect it of you and enjoy it very much.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 03:46 pm
@Baldimo,
Could have gone back to Reagan.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 03:46 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
It's good to know you never spell anything wrong.
parados

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 03:51 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

You are correct naming of them is common. Having a bunch of barley educated 20 something brats demanding the name change of a building is BS.

20 year olds have been doing that since the 60's.

(It isn't always 20 year olds for that matter.)
Baldimo

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 03:54 pm
@parados,
The 20 year old who wanted change then are the professors who are re-writing US history. They boil down the Founding Fathers to slave holders and nothing more.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 03:55 pm
@Baldimo,
Quote:
Re: bobsal u1553115 (Post 6242962)
It's good to know you never spell anything wrong.

I paid attention at school, you didn't. Stop worrying about it. I don't.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 04:15 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B1Sxs27CcAAnTFs.jpg
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 04:56 pm
About all those buildings named after Confederacy heroes/ slave owners...

I imagine it must be a little easier to have the attitude "What's the big deal?" and "Those men were a lot more than just slave owners" -if you are a white man whose ancestors were not chattel. It reminds me of the (failed)arguments that were made to try to keep the Stars and Bars flying in state capitals. "A lot more than slavery is represented by that flag", they'd say. "There's a lot of good people whose culture is represented by that flag".

As a teenaged freshman at East Carolina University in Greenville , NC, I lived in Charles Aycock dormitory. That name was changed after many years of protest concerning Aycock's role in the white supremacy movement in general and his role in the murderous Wilmingon Race Riots in 1898 in particular. I suppose those who argued for his name to stay would have said something about his being responsible for opening and supporting hundreds of public schools. So many schools that he was known by some as the "Education Governor".

I think its important that the names should be changed to something ALL people can be proud and comfortable with. Young black men and women shouldn't have to attend schools, libraries, etc. whose names call a shameful and evil part of their countries' history to their minds. The historic names aren't being erased from history when they are removed from public state buildings - there are museums and other types of halls of display for that. But public, state sponsored buildings that have slave owner's names emblazoned on them should have them removed.

And I think most decent people - white and black and everything in between - don't find it so difficult to understand why it's a good thing to do.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 05:00 pm
@snood,
As a Japanese American who lived through WWII understand what you're saying too well. Even before WWII, many store signs read, 'NO JAPS ALLOWED.'
The 442nd Battalion made up of Japanese Americans and fought in Italy, France and Germany was the most decorated unit of any war. They also worked in intelligence in the Pacific.
BTW, for those who were too young to know, we were held in concentration camps in this country. Our Constitutional rights were taken away, but many young men from the camps volunteered into the army.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/442nd_Infantry_Regiment_(United_States)
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 05:02 pm
@snood,
It is a big deal, snood, and they all need to be renamed.

The dirty little secret is that vast majority of them weren't built or named until the 1920's and '30's.

There's no history involved except that racists felt empowered by the strength of the Klan to force this crap on black citizens to help keep them in line.

Ths Dixie rag has no more history going for it than a Swastika does.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 05:47 pm
@snood,
What is the fuss? Goebbels had a phd from the University of Heidelberg, Goering was a WW1 fighter ace and Speer a celebrated architect. They weren't just Nazis.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 05:50 pm
@izzythepush,
Heidelberg University is the oldest in Germany. I remember visiting there when my wife and I did a tour of Europe.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 06:10 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

What is the fuss? Goebbels had a phd from the University of Heidelberg, Goering was a WW1 fighter ace and Speer a celebrated architect. They weren't just Nazis.

Yeah, and Hitler was a great organizer, and Satan is said to be very beautiful.
TheCobbler

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 07:19 pm
Clinton goes after "quarterly capitalism"
Hillary Clinton says this is the biggest problem with capitalism today
https://www.facebook.com/businessinsider/videos/10153521312779071/
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 07:22 pm
Gary Johnson is Worse than Donald Trump
https://benjaminstudebaker.com/2016/07/29/gary-johnson-is-worse-than-donald-trump/

Johnson is a greedy conservative.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 07:48 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Hitler was a great organizer, and Satan is said to be very beautiful.

Don't forget Mussolini made the trains run on time.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2016 07:59 pm
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LWKY0dti3tI/V4BOjYay_RI/AAAAAAABd_Q/4NbTAsUKGwojudXtFtAMIY1gNUdHyqYMQCLcB/s640/unemployment%2Bindex.png