Turning The Ballot Box Against Republicans

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 05:01 am
@ehBeth,
I teach at a local art school. I know how hard it is to basket weave: its very hard.

There's a comedy tradition in the US that those with mental or emotional distress are good good candidates for basket weaving. There's also a folk wisdom about Viet Vets, that we're all on the border of psychotic and totally unmotivated to improve ourselves.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 05:04 am
@RABEL222,
Me, abusive? Who claimed the vets they met in collage were all basket weaving to suck up all that fat veteran's cash?

I am sorry I've done or said anything to abuse you.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 05:05 am
@TheCobbler,
I don't find her emails offensive at all. I find the law that allowed it pretty darn dumb, though. But that's not on her, either.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 05:47 am
More Red States Embrace Obamacare, As Long As You Don’t Call It That

by Jeffrey Young at the Huffington Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/republican-states-embrace-obamacare_us_57291c97e4b0bc9cb04504bb?utm_hp_ref=politics

"SNIP

WASHINGTON — Presidential candidates and other national politicians throw around a lot of rhetoric about health care reform, but the real action is happening in conservative state legislatures across the country.

Red state governors and lawmakers are deciding what health care for low-income people and those with disabilities delivered through Medicaid, the joint federal-state health benefit program, will look like in the post-Obamacare era.

“This, at this point, is largely a fight within the Republican Party,” said Joan Alker, executive director for the Center for Children and Families at Georgetown University, who is an expert on Medicaid issues.

In some cases, Republicans have concocted pretty convoluted ways to do Obamacare without saying they’re doing Obamacare, to get other Republicans to go along.

................SNIP"
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 09:27 am
@TheCobbler,
Why do you post these false stats? PolitiFact rated it as mostly false. Your meme is using a stat from a single study from a liberal think tank and not even stats from the BLS. If Obama is talking about raising the min wage, then he should be using the Federal min wage #.

Quote:
In reality, the statistics on this specific point are murky. A different study by the Bureau of Labor Statistics found that 71 percent of minimum-wage workers are younger than 30 -- a starkly different picture of low-wage workers. But the BLS study has an important limitation -- it looked only at workers making exactly the federal minimum wage of $7.25 and below, so it doesn’t include workers from any of the 21 states and the District of Columbia that have enacted higher state minimum wages.

Colorado for instance has a min wage of $8.31 which is more than a dollar higher than the Federal min wage. I think min wage at the federal level should be $9 or $10 an hour. Anything more and the federal govt is failing to take local economies into account.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 09:29 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Didn't you say you joined the Navy after Vietnam Nam was over, in the mid 70's? So that you could prove some sort of point about serving your country but being anti-war at the same time?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 10:38 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I'm aware of that history re basket-weaving/comedy.

I found the reference to vets/basket-weaving incredibly offensive. I know too many vets who've struggled in many ways to take any humour about them lightly.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 07:34 pm
@Baldimo,
No I did not. I enlisted in Feb, 72. Mainly so I could speak my mind at the dinner table on Thanksgiving. Also at that time antiwar protesters were enlisting particularly in the Navy but also the Army. Anti-war Naval personnel mined harbors with fake mines to protest Nixon's mining of Haiphong at Christmas '72, for example. The war was not winding down when I went in, it still had three more years.

In '72 the Navy was sending everyone to fleet. Boot camp was reduced from nine to seven weeks, anyone was allowed to strike out as an Airdale and went straight from boot camp to a carrier. At Great Lakes during MM"A" school and "nuclear academics" school, they quit processing pot charges because they figured if they masted everyone popped, it would tie up personnel so much the 7th fleet would be under manned. If you'd signed for six, you'd get your crow right after "A" school.

Zumwalt was CNO and a good time was had by all.

I read this by accident, I do have you on ignore. Glad I could set you straight.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 07:47 pm
http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r589/duadmin/160509-how-trump-compares_zps93kzvvat.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 08:52 pm
Any one who has read me over the years knows that my father was the colonel in the plane photoing down into the center of Baker; so was John Craig, the photographer, also a colonel.

I am pretty sick of postureing by shitheads.

Guess what I think of Trump.
Lilkanyon

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 09:07 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Any one who has read me over the years knows that my father was the colonel in the plane photoing down into the center of Baker; so was John Craig, the photographer, also a colonel.

I am pretty sick of postureing by shitheads.

Guess what I think of Trump.

Yep, walk the walk, dont talk the talk. I love Trump when he says he understands the military cuz he went to "military school." What a joke.

Didnt Scott Walker say he was a military man too cuz he was an Eagle Scout? Give me a break!
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Mon 9 May, 2016 10:00 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
All? I never said that. You think exaggeration makes your point?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 12:07 pm
@RABEL222,
http://able2know.org/topic/267070-196#post-6178269

Quote:
@snood,
In the early 70's I was taking some college classes to help me in my job as an electrician at a junior collage. There were hundreds of veterans going to collage and collecting money from the government. Why am I bitching about this? The classes they were taking were basket weaving, chair seat repair and other nothing classes that couldent help anyone except monetarily.

Maybe you'd like to parse that for me?

Maybe you meant to say something like "as with every other group on campus, some or a small percentage or a very few vets experimented with course load while figuring life out."

You said it, I didn't.
TheCobbler

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 02:50 pm
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/13173678_613720852117383_7612942715630265358_n.jpg?oh=13200cefa8cb08d25f49637d1d005a49&oe=57E7F823
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 03:19 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I know it don't seem to be a popular thing to say, but it is a lot of money kids (not talking of vets/college, seems to me they earned it) waste trying to figure out what they want to do with life. What makes it worse is in the past (don't know if it has changed since my kids were in school)but credit card companies target these jobless kids trying to figure out life while they are partying. If we are giving money to kids out of our taxes, it should be more structured towards getting an actual job or career.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 07:00 pm
@revelette2,
We also need artists and dreamers.
Blickers

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 07:50 pm
@revelette2,
About one third of people presently working in the US, who are over 25 years old, have four year college degrees or more. About 40 percent of the people in the UK do. We are falling behind the advanced countries we are competing against in the area of educated workforce, and we shouldn't let that happen. We need to make college attainable for every student who can do college work, if they want it.

Not saying we should do it all at once, but we should start working toward it.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 07:59 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Tell you what, you show me where I said all. I dont mind you disagreeing with me but resent you putting words in my mouth I dident use. Many also took classes that advanced their aims. Good use of time and money. no where in the quoted text did I say all.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 08:04 pm
@Blickers,
Agree! But Bernie's crap of instant benefits for all is bullshyt and you ALL know it. He won't even be able to control all the democrats and none of the republicans. He purposely is lying to ALL the people so he can be a do nothing president.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 10 May, 2016 11:25 pm
@Blickers,
Why such a heavy push on college degrees? Why not spend the money from the worthless college degrees on trade schools?