Turning The Ballot Box Against Republicans

TheCobbler

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2021 04:07 am
Forget Trump: Biden is undoing harmful rules that have been in place since Reagan
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2021/1/30/2012046/-Forget-Trump-Biden-is-undoing-harmful-rules-that-have-been-in-place-since-Reagan

Comment:
Democrats are cleaning up the orange stain 50 years of republican rule have left on our environment.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2021 05:03 am
Democrats nurse fresh memories of bad faith Republican 'bipartisanship'
https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/democrats-nurse-fresh-memories-of-bad-faith-republican-bipartisanship-100381253636
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2021 06:28 am
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:

Rachel was right on the button on all that.

If the Democrats fall for that nonsense once again...they deserve the derision they will receive. I don't think they will.

My guess...the Congress will take up the legislation pretty much "as is." Any tweaks they make will be in the limits on the individual help. (I personally think the limits ARE too high right now...and should come down. Families with income of $150,000 per year should not be included right now.)

I think they can keep the moderate members of their party on board...and can pass this thing with the reconciliation process if necessary.
TheCobbler

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2021 10:07 am
Lindsey Graham Warns Democrats Against Calling Witnesses In Trump Impeachment Trial

lol
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2021 10:13 am
@Frank Apisa,
I agree Frank, the limits could come down and the revenue that would go to them should be redirected to the people who really need it.

The overall price tag should remain the same.

And churches that do not provide charity work should be left out of it all together.

Corporations and high tech that are profiting by billions during the pandemic should pay for part of it with taxes that after all the accounting maneuvering they actually have to pay...

The banks that got bailed out could help too. We should not have to borrow all of this abroad... Or are the American people too much of a risk? (cynical)
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2021 04:36 pm
@hingehead,
hh, I think it is a forgone conclusion he is a liar by a majority of the country, plus it is provable. Now, try to seat a jury, and, if you could; get the twelve to all say guilty!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2021 11:38 pm
People Died at the Capitol. Can Rioters Be Held Accountable?
Quote:
The law provides a way to charge people in cases of deaths that they did not directly cause. But there have long been complaints about using it.
{...]
The law does, in fact, provide a way to hold people accountable for deaths they did not directly cause, like that of Ashli Babbitt, who was shot and killed by a Capitol Police officer while attempting to enter a restricted area.

But the felony murder rule, as it is called, is a limited provision that has raised a host of legal and moral questions about complicity and fairness.

In its broadest terms the felony murder rule holds a person who commits a crime responsible for any deaths that result.

Michael R. Sherwin, the acting U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, has said that felony murder charges are among those under consideration in the sprawling federal investigation, which has resulted in more than 180 arrests.
[...]
Felony murder is a vestige of British common law that many other countries have abolished. It has been used in the United States in ways that have been widely decried, such as charging young people who are not the central participants in a crime.

In other circumstances, like when police officers are accused of killing unjustly, prosecutors have turned to the felony murder rule as a way to avoid having to prove malice aforethought.

It is difficult to tell how often the felony murder rule is used in federal prosecutions because it is lumped in with all other first-degree murder charges, according to the United States Sentencing Commission, which tracks convictions and sentences.
[...]
“Prosecutors don’t like to charge crimes where the law hasn’t clearly established that the charges will stand,” said Joyce Vance, a former U.S. attorney who now teaches at the University of Alabama School of Law. “So that concern will have to be weighed against the seriousness of the circumstances.”

The classic example of felony murder is an armed robbery in which one robber shoots and kills someone.

Prosecutors can charge both the triggerman and his accomplices with first-degree murder, regardless of premeditation or intent to kill.
[...]
Legal experts say the one most likely to apply in the Capitol riot is burglary, defined as entering a building with the intent to commit an additional crime. Simply having entered the Capitol unlawfully would not be enough, and intent is difficult to prove.

Beyond that, there are other significant hurdles, said Guyora Binder, an expert on felony murder at the University at Buffalo School of Law. One is the question of who qualifies as an accomplice.
[...]
It is unclear whether the federal law allows for felony murder charges in a “third-party” death, such as one caused by a victim or, in Ms. Babbitt’s case, a law enforcement officer. Such cases are not unheard-of in state courts, though they are often among the most controversial uses of the felony murder rule.
[...]
Both Georgia and Minnesota have particularly broad felony murder statutes. Federal law does not include assault as a triggering felony.

So in the death of Officer Brian Sicknick, who was overpowered and beaten by Capitol rioters, and died later at a hospital, those who assaulted him would have to be found to have caused his death during the commission of a different crime — or face a lesser homicide charge like second-degree murder. No one has been charged in the death of Officer Sicknick, who lay in honor in the Capitol Rotunda on Tuesday night.

The federal felony murder rule holds that the underlying purpose of the triggering felony has to be distinct from that of homicide — in other words, unintentionally killing someone in the course of a robbery or burglary may count as first-degree murder, but unintentionally killing someone while assaulting them does not. Robbery has the purpose of self-enrichment, while assault and murder share the purpose of causing harm.

“If I intend to commit an assault and the person dies, those are too closely related,” explained Barbara McQuade, a former U.S. attorney who teaches at the University of Michigan Law School. “Prosecutors could inappropriately bootstrap the intent from the assault and convert it into a homicide in every single case.”

In the end, not all who entered the Capitol are going to be treated as equally culpable, Ms. McQuade said. Some may argue that they came in with the sole purpose of expressing their views, while others were clearly reckless and violent.

“I would think the prosecutor would perhaps weigh those two cases differently and would be more likely to file charges in the latter case, even though both might technically qualify,” she said.
oralloy

Reply Tue 2 Feb, 2021 11:59 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
The thing about felony murder is, there needs to first be a felony committed.

Progressives need to stop committing abuses of power against people who stand up to their bullying.
neptuneblue

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2021 12:10 am
@oralloy,
Progressives did not use hockey sticks and flag poles to beat up police officers. Lunatic fringe Trumpers did. Hold them accountable.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2021 06:04 am
@neptuneblue,

exactly.

https://iili.io/fI2aF1.jpg

officer Brian Sicknick lies in state after he was murdered by treasonous trump thugs...

0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2021 06:38 am
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

Progressives did not use hockey sticks and flag poles to beat up police officers. Lunatic fringe Trumpers did. Hold them accountable.

Seems pretty simple. Hold those accountable that did the deeds. Too difficult for some, though.
oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2021 07:28 am
@snood,
Note that it's progressives who have difficulty with the concept.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2021 07:29 am
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:
Progressives did not use hockey sticks and flag poles to beat up police officers.

Neither did the peaceful protesters.

neptuneblue wrote:
Lunatic fringe Trumpers did. Hold them accountable.

If the murderers are not held accountable for some reason, it will very likely be a result of progressives abusing their power again.
neptuneblue

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2021 07:34 am
@oralloy,
That made absolutely no sense.

But I shouldn't have expected anything more.
oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2021 07:41 am
@neptuneblue,
I reviewed my post. My facts are all in order. What's the problem?
neptuneblue

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2021 07:43 am
@oralloy,
Lol!

Nothing dear, everything's ok.
oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2021 07:52 am
@neptuneblue,
You had complained about not comprehending something.

I take it that you understand my post now?
neptuneblue

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2021 08:35 am
@oralloy,
It's not a complaint, it's an observation.

No one understands your gibberish.

We just give you a pass. Whatevs...
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2021 08:39 am

Bannon now faces Manhattan D.A. investigation
(nyt)
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Wed 3 Feb, 2021 12:06 pm
Obama Accused of Converting to Judaism to Obtain Lasers

https://media.newyorker.com/photos/601ac3e2d06487e3c3288e2f/master/w_2560%2Cc_limit/Borowitz-ObamaConverts.jpg

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—In her most explosive claim to date, Representative Marjorie Taylor Greene accused former President Barack Obama of converting to Judaism in order to obtain lasers.

According to Greene, Obama’s obsession with lasers was a result of working in the entertainment business, “where he is constantly surrounded by laser-owning Jews.”

“Obama would go to Netflix meetings and be seething with envy of all these Jewish TV executives who had lasers,” she said. “That’s why he converted to Judaism and, according to something I read on the Internet, got bar-mitzvahed.”

Although Greene did not indicate what Obama might use his lasers for, she warned that he could fire them off at any time, except Friday after sundown.
0 Replies