Turning The Ballot Box Against Republicans

parados

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 11:51 am
@Baldimo,
So now who is being misleading by only looking at schools shootings comparable to Newtown where there were multiple deaths? Your original claim was these didn't happen on school grounds. CNN also disputes your claim.

Quote:
When two 20 somethings get into an argument on school grounds at 2am over a bad drug deal and shoot each other, they consider that a school shooting.

Which specific incident are you talking about. (Notice the change from your earlier contention of not on school grounds?)

Two people shooting at each other on a school playground during the school day which causes the school to go into lock down may not seem bad to you but to those parents and students I am sure it was. (Lancaster PA, King Elementary.)

Now perhaps you can tell us which specific incident happened at 2AM as you claim. You seem to be backing away from your earlier claim of why the statistics were misleading. It seems to be you that was attempting to mislead us.
Baldimo

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 12:10 pm
@parados,
http://www.wsmv.com/story/23144451/possible-homicide-at-high-school-parking-lot

Body found in the school parking lot but the shooting did not take place there. I'm not going to waste my time going over THEIR stats and claims. They are a known anti-gun group with a very specific agenda. Ban guns, no matter what lies they must tell, or what stats they have to misrepresent.
parados

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 03:05 pm
@Baldimo,
The shooting didn't take place there?

Let's look at the story you posted.
Quote:
Clarksville police spokesman Sgt. Charles Gill said it wasn't known if the shooting happened there or elsewhere.

Read more: http://www.wsmv.com/story/23144451/possible-homicide-at-high-school-parking-lot#ixzz3nRkQrRGI

Now you know more than the police?

This from another story
Quote:
A body was discovered on school property early Thursday and police investigators were on the scene since around 6 a.m. after receiving a call of shots being fired in the area
- See more at: http://clarksvillenow.com/local/police-investigation-at-northwest-high-school/#sthash.htT8NBfH.dpuf

The arrest of suspects this year doesn't say he was killed elsewhere.

It seems it is you that wants to misrepresent anyone for gun control of some kind as wanting to ban guns and misrepresent shootings on school grounds that affect students as not occurring where they actually happened.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 09:03 am
GOP Politician Who is “Anti-Marijuana” and on Drug Abuse Committee Busted for Marijuana Possession

Source: Ring of Fire

An anti-marijuana New York assemblyman was arrested for marijuana possession after an officer stopped him for a traffic violation.

New York state Assemblyman Stephen M. Katz (R) from Mohegan Lake was pulled over for speeding when a police officer found a “small bag” of marijuana on Thursday. Katz was charged with unlawful possession of marijuana, punishable by a fine of up to $100. Shortly after the arrest, Katz issued a statement.

“This should not overshadow the work I have done over the years for the public and my constituency. I am confident that once the facts are presented that this will quickly be put to rest.”

Katz became a victim of the very system he helped perpetuate. Luckily, he isn’t influential in the New York state legislature, being that Democrats hold the majority. He has a troubled past, however. As a veterinarian, he illegally disposed of a dead German shepherd, and allegedly intentionally harmed another dog he was treating.

For more on this story, visit the New York Times “Assemblyman Is Charged With Marijuana Possession”

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 09:05 am
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Kt3RAW3xhUo/Vg7bdpJVzNI/AAAAAAABVBc/PEub3gyOSYY/s640/obama%2Bon%2Bguns.png
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 09:16 am
Alabama to stop issuing driver’s licenses in counties with 75% black registered voters
How is this fair or legal?

Why not close the white county DMVs and leave the black counties open for business?

The state of Alabama, which requires a photo ID to vote, announced this week that it would stop issuing driver’s licenses in counties where 75 percent of registered voters are black.

Due to budget cuts, Alabama Law Enforcement Agency said that 31 satellite DMV offices would no longer have access to driver’s licenses examiners, meaning that residents will need to travel to other counties to apply for licenses. The move comes just one year after the state’s voter photo ID law went into effect.

AL.com’s John Archibald asserted in a column on Wednesday that the U.S. Department of Justice should open an investigation into the closings.

“Because Alabama just took a giant step backward,” he wrote. “Take a look at the 10 Alabama counties with the highest percentage of non-white registered voters. That’s Macon, Greene, Sumter, Lowndes, Bullock, Perry, Wilcox, Dallas, Hale, and Montgomery, according to the Alabama Secretary of State’s office. Alabama, thanks to its budgetary insanity and inanity, just opted to close driver license bureaus in eight of them.”

“Every single county in which blacks make up more than 75 percent of registered voters will see their driver license office closed. Every one,” Archibald explained. “But maybe it’s not racial at all, right? Maybe it’s just political. And let’s face it, it may not be either… But no matter the intent, the consequence is the same.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/10/alabama-to-stop-issuing-drivers-licenses-in-counties-with-75-black-registered-voters/
snood

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 09:36 am
@bobsal u1553115,
I started a thread about this yesterday

http://able2know.org/topic/295550-1
RABEL222

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 03:27 pm
@snood,
Bragert! Very Happy Laughing
snood

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 04:47 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Bragert! Very Happy Laughing

Very Happy Wink No (well not entirely, anyway Cool ) - I did want to avoid redundancy
coldjoint

Reply Sat 3 Oct, 2015 05:06 pm
@snood,
Quote:
I did want to avoid redundancy

Then don't vote for another lying piece of ****.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 09:02 am
@snood,
Thanks. Haven't been here much the last week - one week in on a three week+ trip - but I'll be on that thread.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 09:04 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Then don't vote for another lying piece of ****.

Don't worry, there's not a GOP candidate we'll be voting for.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 09:05 am
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQaKomWUAAASzTl.jpg
coldjoint

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 10:47 am
@bobsal u1553115,
How about those women being responsible enough not to get pregnant?
TheCobbler

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 04:12 pm
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/12108159_442511519287985_6826573251748974704_n.jpg?oh=0161895a5d1f6546aa37e311ae0153e3&oe=5696F562
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 05:41 pm
@coldjoint,
Quote:
those women being responsible enough not to get pregnant?

Unlike your mommy, right?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 05:53 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQQ_E1dWcAAy6vJ.jpg
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 05:57 pm
Rosanne Cash on Facebook: "Do NOT Tell Me She 'Should Have Had a Gun.'"

Dear Followers and Likers-- if you can't maintain basic courtesy on my page, please allow me to show you the door. This is my page and I do have a right to my beliefs and convictions, as all of you do. I was raised to have the courage to stand behind those convictions and it's too late in life for me to sacrifice my integrity by keeping the most passionate of them secret. Those who tell me to 'stay out of politics and stick to music', or, in other words 'keep your mouth shut' are perhaps so obsessed with the Second Amendment that they haven't noticed the First.

I have as much concern for the safety of my children as any mother alive and if that makes me 'political', so be it. I don't hurl insults because I think some of you have a bewildering attachment to military-grade weapons and a refusal to consider mandatory background checks. I'd appreciate the same civility.

For ten years, I was on the board of PAX- an organization whose sole purpose was to prevent gun violence among children. (PAX merged with Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence several years ago.) After ten years of meeting grief-stricken parents of children killed by guns, I had to quit. I couldn't take the endless parade of innocent people with shattered lives. It was eating at my soul. More pre-schoolers die by guns every year than police officers in the line of duty, and people seem to accept it as collateral damage for 'freedom.' Whose freedom are we talking about? Certainly not a classroom of first-graders lying in a pool of blood. And we're not talking about the freedom of their parents either, whose lives are utterly destroyed.

In 2000, as a representative of PAX, I attended the Million Mom March in Washington, DC with my husband, my year-old baby and my 11 year old daughter. I had a lot of hope that day-- the energy was powerful and the thousands of parents holding pictures of their dead children was a mandate in itself.

At the end of the day, my friend Patty Smyth, who marched alongside me with Bette Midler, Emmylou Harris, Raffi and many, many more, said 'if nothing else, we helped carry the burden of the grieving mothers for one day.' I wrote an article for Rolling Stone about that day. I was full of expectation that our elected officials would rise to the occasion and enact basic gun safety legislation like background checks, safety locks and a ban on military-grade weapons.
It turned out that, in fact, all we did was help carry the burden for a day. Nothing changed.

Several years later, my precious daughter, Chelsea, was held up at gunpoint in the jewelry store where she worked. The gunmen held her for twenty minutes. I'm so grateful she was not killed and I'm also so acutely aware that the difference between me and the moms carrying the photos on the march is a split second. Do NOT tell me that Chelsea 'should have had a gun.' If she had, she'd be dead. She is not physically or mentally able to coolly aim a gun at someone who is already pointing a gun at HER, and fire sharp-shooter style at another human being while terror-stricken. Nor am I. Nor are millions of other people.

The logic that 'if more law-abiding citizens had guns, there would be fewer mass shootings' is confounding to the point of nihilism. What's the end game? Every first grade teacher should have a gun in her desk to prevent another massacre like Newtown? Every pastor in his pulpit? Every movie-goer, mall shopper, night club patron and mom pushing a stroller, until we are reduced to anarchy and violence in every social venue of this country?

If you can make a compelling argument why we have laws requiring safety locks on medicines to protect children, but no law requiring a safety lock on a gun, I'd like to hear it. If you can make a compelling argument why a mentally disturbed youth should be able to easily stockpile military-grade weapons because of loopholes in the law and no background checks, please-- go ahead. I'd like to hear an articulate and reasoned logic behind that thought.

The Constitution is a living document-- if it hadn't changed since its inception, I personally would not be allowed to vote. The language 'well-regulated militia' doesn't equal 'mentally ill person with stockpile of automatic weapons' in my interpretation, but if you believe the amendment extends to that, then I believe Congress needs to amend the amendment, as it has done before in other cases.

Personal handguns and hunting rifles will never be banned in this country. Not a single person talking about the gun issue, that I have heard or read, has suggested that.

If one classroom of first graders can be saved just by requiring background checks and a ban on military style weapons, wouldn't it be worth it? One teenager in a movie theater, one student nurse, one pastor in the pulpit, one little pre-schooler? If the answer is no, or the answer is just more vicious rhetoric, then we should be ashamed. That child could be yours. It was almost mine. So don't tell me to keep my mouth shut.

Thanks to the kind follower who posted this fantastic essay:

https://idlehandsworkshop.wordpress.com/2015/08/27/lets-not-talk-about-gun-control/
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 05:59 pm
http://images.dailykos.com/images/168300/large/Slide1_4.jpg
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 4 Oct, 2015 06:06 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

Quote:
those women being responsible enough not to get pregnant?

Unlike your mommy, right?

D-oh!!!