cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 02:25 pm
@boomerang,
Work hard and dream big.
boomerang

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 02:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I can't add another word.

Getting just this to space out right was a nightmare.

I could do: Work hard. Dream big.

But I like the lowercase "d" better, graphically speaking, so I'm stuck between suing the comma or the semicolon.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 02:35 pm
@boomerang,
I like the comma
engineer

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 02:36 pm
@ehBeth,
Same here.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 02:37 pm
Either is correct. A semicolon can be used between two closely related independent clauses, provided they are not already joined by a coordinating conjunction. Semicolons can also be used in place of commas to separate items in a list.
boomerang

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 02:44 pm
In typical writing I think I would go with the comma but for some reason this sounds more forceful with the longer pause indicated by the semicolon.

I suppose if either is correct I can just use the one that looks best in the layout....
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 02:49 pm
@boomerang,

Work hard... dream big.
contrex

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 02:52 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
In typical writing I think I would go with the comma but for some reason this sounds more forceful with the longer pause indicated by the semicolon.

Longer pause? Really? In any case I would resist the temptation to use a semicolon as a "supercomma".

boomerang

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 03:00 pm
@Region Philbis,
I'm setting this in tile so an ellipse would add about 3 inches while a comma would add only one. I need to keep it pulled together a little closer than that.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 03:01 pm
@contrex,
That's the way I always think of it --

Comma = brief pause
Semicolon = longer pause
Period = full stop
roger

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 03:31 pm
@boomerang,
I would go with the semi colon.
0 Replies

larryglz

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 03:45 pm
I would go for the comma.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 03:48 pm
@contrex,
Both work. I feel sometimes that I am the last person in the world to use semicolons, but in this case I'm slightly more for the comma, as in time the question from others may be "what is that funny thing after the word hard?"

I suppose I also think of a semicolon as a kind of division between word sequences that are similar while being different - so that your choice may have to do with how much you want to differentiate working and dreaming. It's a bit more formal in doing that.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 04:55 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
I suppose if either is correct I can just use the one that looks best in the layout....

Good thinking, boomer.
P.S. -- I'd go with the comma; it's simpler.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 05:05 pm
@boomerang,
I like it better with the comma
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 05:12 pm
@dalehileman,
Comma is the winner!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 07:11 pm
Am I the only one who thinks that the semicolon gives both parts of the sentence equal weight in the way that a comma does not?
ossobuco

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 07:13 pm
@boomerang,
I agree with that. Not that the comma is a failure, but that the semicolon is stronger re the equal weight... I think.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2015 07:18 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
"Simple".

That's a beautiful word.

There have been several times that I've thrown my hands up in frustration over this project only to dig back in.

When I finally figured it out I discovered that finding 1/2" plain white tiles isn't nearly as easy as I thought it would be.

Mr. B has rolled his eyes at me so much I'm surprised he can still see but when he saw phase 2 today he had to admit it was pretty cool.
0 Replies