Punctuation smackdown!

timur

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 03:42 pm
The problem with ellipses is that they tend to increase eccentricity :-)

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/history/eccentricity.gif
ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 03:46 pm
@PUNKEY,
I've replaced some of my ellipses with dashes, so I get that, but I think the dash is weak. Or, do I?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 03:48 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I use them as if I'm not ready to stop, could say more, but am implying more instead. And then I often go ahead and say more.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 05:52 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

My problem with ellipses is I'm always afraid they'll be misunderstood. In more formal academic writing ellipses are used within a quote to indicate that some words have been omitted from that quote. I'm always afraid readers will think that I left something out. So I do use them but I tend to use them sparingly.

I probably ought to use them more sparingly myself, Andy. And you are right...they are used to indicate omissions in quotes.
0 Replies

knaivete

Reply Sat 31 Jan, 2015 10:21 pm
@timur,
Quote:
The problem with ellipses is that they tend to increase eccentricity :-)

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/lect/history/eccentricity.gif

Pausal applause for the loci of the foci.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5c/Ellipse_as_hypotrochoid.gif/220px-Ellipse_as_hypotrochoid.gif

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fa/HypotrochoidOutThreeFifths.gif
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 01:58 pm
When I first saw the question (before I read all the responses), I thought that the semicolon was the better choice. Now that I've read what everyone has to say, I still think that the semicolon is the better choice. (I'm not easily swayed.)
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 02:15 pm
This is not a paper, this is a design project, I cant imagine why anyone would care what the "proper" punctuation is. In fact I almost certainly would not use any punctuation, I would do something like

WORK HARD/DREAM BIG

WORK HARD DREAM BIG

DO work hard horizontally and dream big diagonally so that it looks like a t.

I would be looking for design solutions not punctuation solutions.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 03:07 pm
@hawkeye10,
I like hawkeye's solutions.

I realized the other day that both the comma and semi-colon would annoy me if I had to see them regularly - and as I recall, this is for the shower, so it might be seen a few times a day.

No punctuation would be less annoying than punctuation that just doesn't feel right. The grammar/punctuation doesn't matter (to me) as much as the feeling of it.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 03:22 pm
@ehBeth,
I see your point..

and raise it. What if, instead of punctuation, there was some other doodab in the middle, preferably simple to cut into tile (or whatever you do).

I'm still for a comma or a semicolon which I now like a shade more than comma, but am enjoying thinking about all the answers.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 03:53 pm
@hawkeye10,
The layout has to be much more straightforward than that due to space. Each letter has to be a minimum of 7 tiles high, and 6 tiles wide (with the exception of "i"). The uppercase "W" and letters like "h" and "g" have to be 10 tiles high. The grout between the tiles will add about another 1.5" - 1" per letter. Then there's the space between the letters, so an extra half inch per letter or 1" -2" per word.

Since I only have a 43x40 space to work this into the words have to stacked on top of one another.

I tried working out about 5 different phrases before looking up Latin phrases to see if I could get one to work out better. I couldn't. Even with this phrase I had to switch to .5" tiles which left enough room for a boarder, should I choose to use one.

Trust me, I've looked at this design problem from a lot of different angles.

And I like things to be properly punctuated. That means there is a period at the end of line four which balances well with a punctuation mark at the end of line two.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 04:06 pm
@Roberta,
Yeah, I'm leaning towards the semicolon. It's what I originally intended to use but I just wasn't absolutely positive that it was correct. I started doubting myself so I asked here just to make sure.

To me it seems like the correct punctuation for the way I'd like the phrase to read.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 10:43 am
I would make each phrase a different color. That's emphasis enough that they are separate thoughts.
boomerang

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 10:55 am
@PUNKEY,
I want them to be connected thoughts, not separate thoughts.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 11:11 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

I want them to be connected thoughts, not separate thoughts.

I'm beginning to think the best way to make this momentous decision, Boom, would be by first considering the punctuation of this sentence:

How could I do it, without being anal?
boomerang

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 11:12 am
@Frank Apisa,
Sorry to be so anal about something that will be permanently affixed to my wall.

(Shrug.)
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 2 Feb, 2015 11:54 pm
I hope this is like kickstarter, that we get a reward for our investment.

When might we get a pic?
boomerang

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2015 07:19 am
@hawkeye10,
It'll probably be another month or more before it's installed but I'll be happy to post a photo when it's all done!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2015 03:16 pm
This turns out to be hard to photograph because of the tile's reflectiveness but here's a quick shot I took on my phone just to give you an idea of how it turned out:

http://i.imgur.com/SnWSTxib.jpg
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2015 03:39 pm
@boomerang,
Why is the M in 'dream' upper case?

Just askin'.
boomerang

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2015 05:23 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
The "m" was really hard. I tried making a normal lower case m but it just looked really weird so I just went with this one.