George Bush

blatham

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 09:45 pm
And hell, while I'm at it, let's talk about Israel and what its interests might be in war with Iraq.

This really doesn't get discussed much. A few people have pointed out that most of the top neocons in the government are Jewish. Of course, that's an illegal statement. That's clearly anti-Semitic. It isn't, of course, but boy does that charge pop up immediately. So normally the conversation doesn't even get to the relationship between some of these individuals and Israel, particular Likud.

Would Israel have wanted the US with its monster resources to crush Sadaam? Five points for correct answer here. Would Israel be lobbying for this action? Yes. Would Mossad be acting as an agent to provide helpful intelligence? No kidding. Did anyone else have the thought when Chalabi's house got raided and the news came out that he was suspected of being sneaky with Iran that there was another country who might be expected to operate covertly so as to encourage the US to war?

And we might observe that the strategies for handling Arabs is pretty similar in both cases. Crush em.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 10:01 pm
and for a good piece by Galbraith...
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/17103
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 10:33 pm
dyslexia wrote:
finn I must have forgot, what was the security council vote again?

And apparently you also forgot that not all of aye voters joined the Coalition.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 10:44 pm
Here's another twist of world leaders; Mao was responsible for the deaths of millions, but he seems to be revered by most Chinese, and the Chinese outside of China does not speak ill of him.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 10:49 pm
blatham wrote:
Why did Britain follow on this? That's a terribly interesting question, and there's one Brit on the board here who tosses up suppositions, and an old chum of mine has been in England for 30 years now and he has some ideas. And the Brit press has tried to figure this out, and everybody is really puzzled.

It has killed Blair in the polls, and in recent elections. The most promising career in god knows how long is done.

The thing is, there were a ton of people in government and out in both Britain and the US (and elsewhere) who yelled "Don't do this!" And they argued why Blair shouldn't..."what is imminent in this threat?"...."unilateral pre-emption is very dangerous, it's a dumb precedent!"..."look who is advising Bush, read what they've written, these guys are extreme!"...and "this will make the us safer????"

So why did Blair fall into this hole.

One rather compelling, if seldom discussed, notion has to do with another explicitly stated goal of the neoconservative fellas. Specifically, that goal is to actively prevent any other world power arising and approaching the power and wealth level of the US. The US, explicitly stated we'll recall, is to be dominant.

And what would happen if the expanding EU were to include Britain as full partner and ally?

Well it can't possibly be that he believed it was the right thing to do, or that he saw value in maintaining the special relationship between the UK and the US. Lord knows there was no one "in government and out in both Britain and the US (and elsewhere {A red clad mounty jumps up and down waving his hat to draw attention} ) who" advised him to do it.

The problem with your suggestion is that it offers yet another reason why the US would want Blair on board, but not much in the way of explaining why Blair got on board.

I would have much more confidence in this Administration if I could believe that hamstringing the EU was truly an integral part of their motivation for doing whatever they did to get Blair on board.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 10:59 pm
blatham wrote:
And hell, while I'm at it, let's talk about Israel and what its interests might be in war with Iraq.

This really doesn't get discussed much. A few people have pointed out that most of the top neocons in the government are Jewish. Of course, that's an illegal statement. That's clearly anti-Semitic. It isn't, of course, but boy does that charge pop up immediately. So normally the conversation doesn't even get to the relationship between some of these individuals and Israel, particular Likud.

Would Israel have wanted the US with its monster resources to crush Sadaam? Five points for correct answer here. Would Israel be lobbying for this action? Yes. Would Mossad be acting as an agent to provide helpful intelligence? No kidding. Did anyone else have the thought when Chalabi's house got raided and the news came out that he was suspected of being sneaky with Iran that there was another country who might be expected to operate covertly so as to encourage the US to war?

And we might observe that the strategies for handling Arabs is pretty similar in both cases. Crush em.

Of course your statement isn't illegal, and it's probably not anti-Semetic unless you are insinuating that it is a particularly Semetic trait to commit treason. I don't think you are, but you do seem to want to continue down this neo-cons as the 21st century bogey men track.

The neo-cons who, on another of your postings, conceived the war in Iraq, at least in part, to prevent the EU from challenging US dominance, actually ignored the interests of the US in favor of those of Israel.

I guess if you throw enought shite on the wall, some of it will stick.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 06:16 am
Quote:
I would have much more confidence in this Administration if I could believe that hamstringing the EU was truly an integral part of their motivation for doing whatever they did to get Blair on board.

finn

Definitely, everyone who is thoughtful accepts the good possibility that Blair did really believe this Iraq project was morally and strategically proper. Lots of folks did, and some straggling few still do (cue animated gif of a beaver sodomizing an eagle)

But the relationship has been, to those of us who've watched it closely, more than agreement. It really has been lockstep. The same PR moves, the identical wording in justifications, etc. And we know that Blair, before the war, said that partly he was working in tandem with the Bush administration so as to act as a tempering influence on what was (American unilateralism) not necessarily a healthy emergent political idea.

There are deep and undeniable historical bonds between Britain and the US, as there are between Britain and Canada or Australia. And old grudges and mistrust between Britain and Europe. So one can posit a compelling argument that Britain would most likely side with America when things get nitty gritty, and that America would have to get nuts indeed for that to change. Of course, many in Britain, even top people in his own government, said that situation exactly had arrived.

There has been a ton of analyses that see some bond between the two men in their religious faith (Howard fits here too). But who's to know?

And who is to know what goes on behind the scenes at this level of elite governance? What did Jim Baker say when he went around mustering up coalition signatories? What did he promise/threaten? God knows.

We are going to have to wait for documents and for the books written by folks who were there to really get a look at the gears in all this. But the thesis that the Bush administration may have had, as at least one of the motives here, the goal of limiting EU/Brit coherence (following the explicit doctrine of Wolfowitz et al) so as to solidify American dominance in the world is a thesis which finds more disagreement in mythology than in observations and real documents.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 06:30 am
Quote:
Of course your statement isn't illegal, and it's probably not anti-Semetic unless you are insinuating that it is a particularly Semetic trait to commit treason. I don't think you are, but you do seem to want to continue down this neo-cons as the 21st century bogey men track.

The neo-cons who, on another of your postings, conceived the war in Iraq, at least in part, to prevent the EU from challenging US dominance, actually ignored the interests of the US in favor of those of Israel.

I guess if you throw enought shite on the wall, some of it will stick.

Interior decorating by any other name would smell half as sweet.

There's an admitted danger to using concepts such as 'the neocons' or 'the neocon agenda' to think with. The crowd of people who have given themselves this title or descriptor are a varied lot. Bill Kristol and Paul Wolfowitz are different people with different minds. Still, if they define themselves in this self-inclusive manner, the term means something. And there are documents, from 1992 famously, which spell out a political philosophy which explicates each of the things I've said above that it does explicate.

As regards the lack of public conversation (and it is a curious lack) on the subject of Israel's interests, or perceived interests, in the US heading into Iraq and making real the 'vision' of democracy spreading like a happy virus, I just thought I ought to throw it into the mix here. But there is real resistance that arises immediately. Both David Brooks and Richard Perle have implied that any pointing to the Jewish ethnicity of the top neoconservatives is, ipso facto, anti-Semitic. So that makes it a bit difficult to even begin a conversation on the possibilities of Israeli or Likud involvement.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 12:21 pm
Quote:
It appears you are further saying that not only do we need the support of "major powers," we need the support of "major powers" without ideological ties to us. Support from the UK doesn't get the Cyclo stamp of approval because it "is so tied to us ideologically."

Who are these top 8-10 major powers?

Your casual dismissal of nations like Italy and Uzbekistan seems awfully arrogant. Weren't you just counseling against such behavior?

I'm saying that the admin. throws around the term 'multinational effort' as if it is a TRUE multinational effort.

The top 8-10 powers in the world would be (in no partitcular order) U.S., Russia, England, France, Germany, India, China, for sure. You can argue several others, but I guess the next tier would be Spain, Japan, Canada (I guess), etc.

Getting the support of one major country, and tacking on a bunch of pissant countries is TECHNICALLY a multinational effort, but REALISTICALLY a bunch of countries with no real involvement in major world politics are backing us. 'cept for England, our one big ally.

Quote:
I have a feeling you are reading my postings for tone rather than content anyway Cyclo so I am not too concerned about your perception either. This doesn't signify that I consider myself above you, simply unimpressed by you.

You see, I read for both content AND tone, as both are important to understanding the argument of the writer. For example: the above statements' content is rather neutral, but the tone is rather condescending. See?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 01:13 pm
Cyclo - the Bush regime got most of their "multi"nationalist by arm twisting - not by their own free will. Even the ones that came along had problems agreeing to join.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 02:17 pm
Cyclo, This admin has perfected the art of exaggeration. The coalition of the willing has only two major powers, plus a few other countries with a token force, but their repetition of the word has most thinking there are many involved.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 02:19 pm
Australia and Japan and Italy don't count?

Why this arrogancy towards other countries? It's not as it only the G-8 rule the world.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 02:19 pm
BillW, c.i. -

I completely agree with both you. I just didn't want to go there, as the rain of arrows coming towards me would increase tenfold once I started bringing up how many lies are associated with the admin and I didn't want to derail the thread.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 02:47 pm
As of March 2004s Coalition of the Willing.
Iraq Troop numbers March 2004
Country Troops Per 100000
population Per 1000
military

1 USA 130,000 47.7 94.8
2 United Kingdom 9,000 15.2 42.4
3 Italy 3,000 5.3 11.3
4 Poland 2,460 6.7 10.2
5 Ukraine 1,600 3.2 5.1
6 Spain * 1,300 3.3 7.0
7 Netherlands 1,100 7.0 19.5
8 Australia 800 4.3 14.5
9 Romania 700 3.1 3.4
10 Bulgaria 480 5.9 5.9

11 Thailand 440 0.7 1.4
12 Denmark 420 7.8 17.3
13 Honduras * 368 6.1 5.4
14 El Salvador 361 6.2 14.7
15 Dominican Republic 302 3.7 12.3
16 Hungary 300 2.9 6.9
17 Japan 240 0.2 1.0
18 Norway 179 4.0 5.8
19 Mongolia 160 6.1 17.6
20 Azerbaijan 150 1.9 2.1
21 Portugal 128 1.3 2.6
22 Latvia 120 5.1 20.9
23 Lithuania 118 3.3 9.7
24 Slovakia 102 1.9 2.3
25 Czech Republic 80 0.8 1.4
26 Philippines 80 0.1 0.7
27 Albania 70 2.1 7.0 **
28 Georgia 70 1.4 2.7
29 New Zealand 61 1.7 6.4
30 Moldova 50 1.1 4.7
31 Macedonia 37 1.8 2.3
32 Estonia 31 2.2 6.5
33 Canada ^ 31^
34 Kazakhstan 25 0.1 0.4
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 11:09 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I'm saying that the admin. throws around the term 'multinational effort' as if it is a TRUE multinational effort.

The top 8-10 powers in the world would be (in no partitcular order) U.S., Russia, England, France, Germany, India, China, for sure. You can argue several others, but I guess the next tier would be Spain, Japan, Canada (I guess), etc.

Getting the support of one major country, and tacking on a bunch of pissant countries is TECHNICALLY a multinational effort, but REALISTICALLY a bunch of countries with no real involvement in major world politics are backing us. 'cept for England, our one big ally.

This is rich.

A true multinational effort will involve half/some/most/all of those countries you consider major powers.

I assume then, you are not much of a fan of the United Nations and would prefer to see an organization called the United Major Powers.
Or maybe scrap the whole UN and just abide by Security Counsil decisions. Of course you realize that nine of the current 15 SC member nations fall into your pissant category, and the major power Germany gets booted out at the end of this year.

I'm sure the pissant countries around the world understand the rationale of your minimal regard for them, and don't perceive it as American arrogance.

Assuming Russia, France and Germany were with us on this one, but not the majority of the pissant countries who are currently with us, somehow I find it difficult to believe that you and your like minded confreres would be extoling the multinational effort rather than castigating Bush for joining with the old colonial powers and ignoring the opinions of the developing nations of the world.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
You see, I read for both content AND tone, as both are important to understanding the argument of the writer. For example: the above statements' content is rather neutral, but the tone is rather condescending. See?

I find it hard to take seriously, your umbrage concerning my arrogance.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 11:11 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
BillW, c.i. -

I completely agree with both you. I just didn't want to go there, as the rain of arrows coming towards me would increase tenfold once I started bringing up how many lies are associated with the admin and I didn't want to derail the thread.

Cycloptichorn

Poor Cyclo. We're picking on him.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 12:38 pm
blatham wrote:
(cue animated gif of a beaver sodomizing an eagle)

I suppose Canadians have to dream about something, but there is about as much chance of Canada dominating the US as a beaver taking on an eagle. Beside, I thought you guys associated yourselves with the Moose.

blatham wrote:
But the relationship has been, to those of us who've watched it closely, more than agreement. It really has been lockstep. The same PR moves, the identical wording in justifications, etc. And we know that Blair, before the war, said that partly he was working in tandem with the Bush administration so as to act as a tempering influence on what was (American unilateralism) not necessarily a healthy emergent political idea.

Actually, the relationship has seemed to be more than an agreement to you and your fellow close watchers. I'm not sure why you think two leaders in agreement on an issue would not voice the same justifications or employ the same PR. Are you suggesting Blair in in some unholy thrall to Bush?

I'm sure Blair does hope to influence Bush and I suspect that he has. This doesn't preclude the possibility of their being in agreement on Iraq and other issues.

I'm also sure that Blair realizes that it is better to be the close ally of the world's single Super Power than one of the yapping mob.

blatham wrote:
There are deep and undeniable historical bonds between Britain and the US, as there are between Britain and Canada or Australia. And old grudges and mistrust between Britain and Europe. So one can posit a compelling argument that Britain would most likely side with America when things get nitty gritty, and that America would have to get nuts indeed for that to change. Of course, many in Britain, even top people in his own government, said that situation exactly had arrived.

It's hardly surprising that members of the Labor Party would find a union between their PM and Bush uncomfortable. Many people in this country, even top people in this government believe Western Europe is irrelevant. This, of course, doesn't make it so.

blatham wrote:
There has been a ton of analyses that see some bond between the two men in their religious faith (Howard fits here too). But who's to know?
Who's to know indeed, and unless someone is going to suggest an international scaled cult, who's to care.

blatham wrote:
And who is to know what goes on behind the scenes at this level of elite governance? What did Jim Baker say when he went around mustering up coalition signatories? What did he promise/threaten? God knows.

True, and while the Coalition of The Willing may not have been built entirely on principle, it would be foolish to suggest that had Russia, France and Germany agreed to be members, we could then be assured it was a Coalition of The Principled. Countries joined for political reasons and countries stayed out for political reasons. The world is, by no means, united against our actions in Iraq. If it were, we would not be in Iraq.

blatham wrote:
We are going to have to wait for documents and for the books written by folks who were there to really get a look at the gears in all this. But the thesis that the Bush administration may have had, as at least one of the motives here, the goal of limiting EU/Brit coherence (following the explicit doctrine of Wolfowitz et al) so as to solidify American dominance in the world is a thesis which finds more disagreement in mythology than in observations and real documents.

It may have been a happy by-product, but for it to have been a motivation, the US would have had to not only work to bring the UK into the Coalition, but work to keep France and Germany out. I very much doubt that the Administration preferred to have France and Germany carping on the sidelines.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 12:44 pm
Hmm. My last post got eaten, but I'll re-write it here.

Quote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I find it hard to take seriously, your umbrage concerning my arrogance.

It's not umbrage, just mild amusement.

Quote:
I assume then, you are not much of a fan of the United Nations and would prefer to see an organization called the United Major Powers.

I find it rather ironic that you would assume that I don't like the UN. I love the idea of the UN. I think that I speak for many liberals on this board when I say that the U.S. should have waited for the UN to approve conflict in Iraq, as there was no major threat posed to anyone by Sadaam Hussein. The UN weapons inspectors at the time said so, our inspectors said so, and all the evidence found since then has supported that.

But no, we couldn't wait even a few months, and decided to take unilateral action and bypass the UN. Technically we are not allowed to do this, but the fact is they can't stop us from doing it, so we went ahead.

Unilateral action sounds bad, however. This administration is great at manipulating phrases into sound bytes in order to garner support. The real key to the way they do it is that the phrases contain both lies and truth mixed together.

Here's some gems for ya:

'End of Conflict'

'Full and Complete Soveigrnity on June 30th'

'There ARE WMD in Iraq'

a classic:

'compassionate conservative'

Every one of those statements contains some truth, and some lies. The admin loves sound bytes, and uses them to their advantage constantly. 'Multinational Coalition' sure SOUNDS good, but ignores one key fact:

A TRUE multinational coalition would have BEEN the UN stepping in. We didn't want that, because it would have robbed us of control over the situation (not that we've done a great job with the control we have).

Quote:
Assuming Russia, France and Germany were with us on this one, but not the majority of the pissant countries who are currently with us, somehow I find it difficult to believe that you and your like minded confreres would be extoling the multinational effort rather than castigating Bush for joining with the old colonial powers and ignoring the opinions of the developing nations of the world.

We would be extolling any UN lead effort in Iraq. I guess you can put whatever words in my mouth you like, as I can't really respond to your hypothetical situation.

Although, if Russia, France, and Germany were with us on this one, the UN WOULD have stepped in, and the developing countries would have played the same role they always have in UN-lead conflicts.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 12:57 pm
blatham wrote:
Interior decorating by any other name would smell half as sweet.

There's an admitted danger to using concepts such as 'the neocons' or 'the neocon agenda' to think with. The crowd of people who have given themselves this title or descriptor are a varied lot. Bill Kristol and Paul Wolfowitz are different people with different minds. Still, if they define themselves in this self-inclusive manner, the term means something. And there are documents, from 1992 famously, which spell out a political philosophy which explicates each of the things I've said above that it does explicate.

As regards the lack of public conversation (and it is a curious lack) on the subject of Israel's interests, or perceived interests, in the US heading into Iraq and making real the 'vision' of democracy spreading like a happy virus, I just thought I ought to throw it into the mix here. But there is real resistance that arises immediately. Both David Brooks and Richard Perle have implied that any pointing to the Jewish ethnicity of the top neoconservatives is, ipso facto, anti-Semitic. So that makes it a bit difficult to even begin a conversation on the possibilities of Israeli or Likud involvement.

I don't know that it's "anti-semitism," but I do think that it's prejudice to place any significance in the fact that several of the higher profile neo-cons are Jewish.

There are any number of non-Jews in America who support Israel and a hard line Israeli position. There are, believe it or not, a fair number of American (and even Israeli) Jews who are not happy with Sharon and Likud.

Assuming that Wolfowitz or Perle support a strong Israel and a conservative administration at its helm because they are Jewish, and not because they believe it is in the best interest of America is not so much a slur against Jews as a grave insult to these men.

I don't suppose bringing the subject up for discussion is particularly anti-semetic, but insisting on pursuing it beyond a cursory consideration, may be.

I don't deny that neo-cons exist (although I doubt I could come to an agreement with my liberal friends on what being a neo-con actually is), I simply think that viewing them as some sort of sinister cabal is ridiculous.

That the United States should act to remain the dominant power in the world is a neo-con concept. It is not, perforce, a sinister one.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 01:03 pm
Quote:
That the United States should act to remain the dominant power in the world is a neo-con concept. It is not, perforce, a sinister one.

The methods they believe are neccessary to accomplish this sure aren't what most would consider to be 'non-sinister.'

www.pnac.org. It's alllll there.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies