George Bush

BillW

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 02:12 pm
mysteryman wrote:

No its not.There aere approximately 20 countries sending troops or logistical support in the coalition in Iraq.
Why do the liberals refuse to admit that?
Does it destroy your idea that the US went in alone?

Most of the country's came on board because of being threatened to have monetary and marketing games played on them - the others came in spite of Bush.....
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 02:14 pm
And of those 20 countries, which are major world powers, pray tell?

Throwing on a couple of tiny nations is political manipulation at it's highest. Don't fall prey to sound bites.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 02:16 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
And of those 20 countries, which are major world powers, pray tell?

Throwing on a couple of tiny nations is political manipulation at it's highest. Don't fall prey to sound bites.

Cycloptichorn
Then, there is Spain, Italy and England. All three had a referendum vote and because the press manipulated them - they all decidedly voted against Bush.....
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 02:18 pm
Italy and Britain both have a good representation in Iraq...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 02:21 pm
So, I guess we have 3 out of 20 that matter, and you can't really count Spain anymore. 3 countries doesn't really sound as good as a quote, though, does it?

Britain is so tied to us Idealogically it doesn't surprise me they are there. And Italy is not what I would call a world power these days, I mean, noone exactly fears the mighty italian army, or the italian economy, or the massive itatilian cultural machine.

So we're down to One. One major power out of the top 8-10 supports us. Real 'multinational' effort we have going on.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 02:29 pm
Didin't know you wanted the whole list...

Afghanistan, Albania, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bulgaria, Colombia, the Czech Republic, Denmark, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Hungary, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, Macedonia, the Netherlands, Nicaragua, the Philippines, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, Spain, Turkey, United Kingdom and Uzbekistan.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 02:31 pm
Quote:
Ex-diplomats call for Bush's defeat

Group to issue statement Wednesday

The Associated Press
Updated: 9:10 p.m. ET June 13, 2004

WASHINGTON - Angered by Bush administration policies they contend endanger national security, 26 retired U.S. diplomats and military officers are urging Americans to vote President Bush out of office in November.

The group, which calls itself Diplomats and Military Commanders for Change, does not explicitly endorse Democrat John Kerry for president in its campaign, which will start officially Wednesday at a Washington news conference.

The Bush-Cheney campaign said Sunday it would have no response until the group formally issues its statement at the news conference.

Among the group are 20 ambassadors, appointed by both Democratic and Republican presidents, other former State Department officials and military leaders whose careers span three decades.

Prominent members include retired Marine Gen. Joseph P. Hoar, commander of U.S. forces in the Middle East during the administration of Bush's father; retired Adm. William J. Crowe Jr., ambassador to Britain under President Clinton and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under President Reagan; and Jack F. Matlock Jr., a member of the National Security Council under Reagan and ambassador to the Soviet Union from 1987 to 1991.

"We agreed that we had just lost confidence in the ability of the Bush administration to advocate for American interests or to provide the kind of leadership that we think is essential," said William C. Harrop, the first President Bush's ambassador to Israel, and earlier to four African countries.

"The group does not endorse Kerry, although it more or less goes without saying in the statement," Harrop said Sunday in a telephone interview.

Harrop said he listed himself as an independent for years for career purposes but usually has voted Republican.

The former ambassador said diplomats and military officials normally avoid making political statements, especially in an election year.

"Some of us are not that comfortable with it, but we just feel very strongly that the country needs new leadership," Harrop said.

He said the group was disillusioned by Bush's handling of the war in Iraq and a list of other subjects, including the Middle East, environmental conservation, AIDS policy, ethnic and religious conflict and weapons proliferation.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 02:31 pm
Turkey's Gov't is with us. Their people rioted rather than let us have military bases there, so I doubt you could say they are really behind the cause.

Nice to know that Nicaragua and Uzbekistan are doing their parts. We've really assembled a coalition of giants, here.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 02:35 pm
What is this, the re-occuring attack of the 26 diplomats? I think it is in every thread now...

Cycloptichorn, were in my power to do so, thos countries would be receiving all the aid that we send to france and germany and spain, etc... We can support their economies instead and make them economic powerhouses.

Your continued sardonic remarks are getting real old. why not offer up something you didn't hear franken spew forth and come on in and join the team. why not pitch in for the big win, huh?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 02:37 pm
If anyone but two gun George were at the helm Bush 41 would probably on the list of 26.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 02:40 pm
blinded by the right
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 02:41 pm
Quote:
Your continued sardonic remarks are getting real old. why not offer up something you didn't hear franken spew forth and come on in and join the team. why not pitch in for the big win, huh?

Heh. I haven't listened to Franken in months, but it's nice to know he's still on the right track.

You'll have to pardon my disparaging tone - I get a little choked up by all the false claims of 'international support.' I'm sure it does get old when someone points out the holes in your argument over and over and over again.

Quote:
Cycloptichorn, were in my power to do so, thos countries would be receiving all the aid that we send to france and germany and spain, etc... We can support their economies instead and make them economic powerhouses.

That's nice. It doesn't have anything to do with our conversation, though.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 08:00 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
There are many benefits to having a good international reputation...

People on this thread keep reintroducing this point as if someone is arguing the opposite.

There is value in having the world love or even like us. The question is at what price? The quickest way to have everyone love us is to give all of our riches away. Another relatively easy way is to place the interests of other countries over our own. We could probably even get a whole lot of Arabs to love us if we simply turned our back on Israel.

There is nothing to be gained from pissing people off just because we can, and if our goal can be met while the world cheers, so much the better, but our goal is not to get the rest of the world to love us.

Cycloptichorn wrote:
Unless, of course, you consider yourself to be above them, which is the tone I get from your piece, Finn. Don't be that guy.

I have a feeling you are reading my postings for tone rather than content anyway Cyclo so I am not too concerned about your perception either. This doesn't signify that I consider myself above you, simply unimpressed by you.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 09:07 pm
Ambassador Galbraith was on Cspan tonight talking, very animatedly, about the incompetence of the administration as regards the Kurds particularly, and more generally, Iraq. It would be well worth seeking out the transcript of what he said.

Two or five years up the road, more books like Richard Clarke's are going to be published. Folks who have served US and world interests for decades are going to give us some idea of just how extreme, and dangerously incompetent, this administration was.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 09:16 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
So, I guess we have 3 out of 20 that matter, and you can't really count Spain anymore. 3 countries doesn't really sound as good as a quote, though, does it?

Britain is so tied to us Idealogically it doesn't surprise me they are there. And Italy is not what I would call a world power these days, I mean, noone exactly fears the mighty italian army, or the italian economy, or the massive itatilian cultural machine.

So we're down to One. One major power out of the top 8-10 supports us. Real 'multinational' effort we have going on.

Cycloptichorn

So what you are saying is that we need the support of "major powers," not little pissant countries like nicaragua or Estonia. We need raw power not moral or political support.

It appears you are further saying that not only do we need the support of "major powers," we need the support of "major powers" without ideological ties to us. Support from the UK doesn't get the Cyclo stamp of approval because it "is so tied to us ideologically."

Who are these top 8-10 major powers?

Your casual dismissal of nations like Italy and Uzbekistan seems awfully arrogant. Weren't you just counseling against such behavior?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 09:24 pm
we got the best countries that would accept our bribes plus Tony and Howard.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 09:28 pm
blatham wrote:
Ambassador Galbraith was on Cspan tonight talking, very animatedly, about the incompetence of the administration as regards the Kurds particularly, and more generally, Iraq. It would be well worth seeking out the transcript of what he said.

Two or five years up the road, more books like Richard Clarke's are going to be published. Folks who have served US and world interests for decades are going to give us some idea of just how extreme, and dangerously incompetent, this administration was.

Personally, I believe we are doing an injustice to the Kurds, but I am amused when Administration critics trot the issue out in an attempt to give it yet another black eye.

Providing the Kurds with what they want and probably deserve, could very well lead to war: War between the Kurds and the Arabs of Iraq and/or war between the Kurds and the Turks.

Bush & Co are in a no-win situation with their critics. Every route taken in Iraq is perilous and provides ample ammunition for charges of incompetence, not matter how situations develop.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 09:32 pm
dyslexia wrote:
we got the best countries that would accept our bribes plus Tony and Howard.

And, as we all know, France, Germany, Russia and China would never accept bribes or be motivated by anything other than the pursuit of justice and peace.

We should all just face it. If you can't get Putin, Chirac, Schroeder and Jintao on board, your plan must be ill conceived and immoral.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 09:37 pm
Why did Britain follow on this? That's a terribly interesting question, and there's one Brit on the board here who tosses up suppositions, and an old chum of mine has been in England for 30 years now and he has some ideas. And the Brit press has tried to figure this out, and everybody is really puzzled.

It has killed Blair in the polls, and in recent elections. The most promising career in god knows how long is done.

The thing is, there were a ton of people in government and out in both Britain and the US (and elsewhere) who yelled "Don't do this!" And they argued why Blair shouldn't..."what is imminent in this threat?"...."unilateral pre-emption is very dangerous, it's a dumb precedent!"..."look who is advising Bush, read what they've written, these guys are extreme!"...and "this will make the us safer????"

So why did Blair fall into this hole.

One rather compelling, if seldom discussed, notion has to do with another explicitly stated goal of the neoconservative fellas. Specifically, that goal is to actively prevent any other world power arising and approaching the power and wealth level of the US. The US, explicitly stated we'll recall, is to be dominant.

And what would happen if the expanding EU were to include Britain as full partner and ally?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 09:38 pm
finn I must have forgot, what was the security council vote again?
0 Replies