Why Does Life Exist

KhanKaiser

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2015 01:15 am
@KhanKaiser,
I, like Poseidon, was raised a Catholic, but I do also was not afraid of Satan or Hell. It might have been the church or person who taught you this.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2015 01:28 am
@KhanKaiser,
I should have made that plural. Protestant. From Presbyterian to Baptist to Methodist and finally exited via the Episcopal Church. The hellfire and brimstone preachers were present in each of the first three. Not so much in the Episcopalian.

As for Catholicism, I'm pretty sure its images of hell are strongly influenced by Dante. Pretty gruesome stuff in there.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2015 01:12 pm
@Poseidon384,
Poseidon384 wrote:

Life as we know it isn't even life. Life is the tiny microscopic organisms that make up our bodies and fill the air, water, and dirt. But those are what I am going to ask about. Why does it exist. I mean, I am Catholic and believe that God made us, but I don't believe he just makes us out of mud. Every miracle and thing he has done, was natural to our eyes. Which means he must have created life naturally. Life just doesn't seem possible, yet there it is. On the screen of the thing you are using to read this and right there on your fingertips. In fact, making up your fingertips. Please try to answer my question with truth and if you want, something you came up with and believe to be true. I want to hear all of the answers.

It's funny, this reminds me of when I was first learning chemistry. I had previously taken quite a few biology classes and there was some very minor brushes with chemistry which sparked my interest in taking some chemistry classes. Pondering over their relation it is easy to come to the conclusion that the way in which the chemicals that make up life interact is so basic and simple that it is bound to happen when the conditions arise for it. But it still in no way touches on why it is that these chemical directives want to naturally come about.

It was easy to lean towards the idea that there must be some intelligent motivation behind why this process occurs. But as I continued to learn chemistry the whole idea actually turns out to not be as readily possible as I once considered. What it comes down to is statistics, but we are narrow minded because we are the statistic.

Let me explain what I mean. With so many stars in our galaxy, and assuming each star has a planetary system, then given enough time the conditions for the chemical combinations will occur some where at some point. It HAS to because of the possibility of these chemical interactions. Yet we assume that this condition was spontaneous or motivated. It is not. We are here because it HAD to happen somewhere.

But using words like HAD and HAS seems a bit aggressive. But when you take into account all the pieces, the chemistry, the numbers and the biology it all makes sense in the frame work of statistics.

Maybe a better way of explaining it is to have a machine. This machine has multiple cylinders filled with different spices, like salt, pepper, garlic, onion and so on. Also a few of the cylinders have water, oils and broth of some sort, like chicken or beef, ect.

Now this machine randomly selects a cylinder drops in a random amount of it's contents into a pot below it. Not all the cylinders are selected, the machine just runs out a series of plausible combinations.

You run this system once and you try out the soup. You chart each result and look over the results after running the system a hundred times. You will start to see that a huge majority of the combinations are terrible, such as too much salt, not enough water, ect ect. What you come to see is there is a small window of these results that are actually appealing, not necessarily good, but good enough to eat. However; you might get one or two results that are in the great, or perfect taste.

This analogy is not perfect but it gives the visual that when you run a system enough times, a good result is bound to happen eventually at some point. Well that is how I see life on Earth, it was bound to happen at some point, some where in our galaxy and we are THAT result.

The conditions on Earth were "open" enough to allow for the chemical processes that derived life. There is no need for intelligence or a motivation by some divine being. It is purely statistics of chemistry.
0 Replies

argome321

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 02:24 pm
@Poseidon384,
Poseidon384 wrote:

Life as we know it isn't even life. Life is the tiny microscopic organisms that make up our bodies and fill the air, water, and dirt. But those are what I am going to ask about. Why does it exist. I mean, I am Catholic and believe that God made us, but I don't believe he just makes us out of mud. Every miracle and thing he has done, was natural to our eyes. Which means he must have created life naturally. Life just doesn't seem possible, yet there it is. On the screen of the thing you are using to read this and right there on your fingertips. In fact, making up your fingertips. Please try to answer my question with truth and if you want, something you came up with and believe to be true. I want to hear all of the answers.

I'm an atheist but If I was a christia, like a Catholic didnt the Bible explain why God dreat
0 Replies

argome321

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 02:48 pm
@Poseidon384,
Poseidon384 wrote:

I'm an atheist but If I was a christian, like a Catholic etc didn't the Bible explain why God created life? Am I wrong in assuming so.

If it is unclear or if it doesn't explain then I guess this god thought it is his will, for him to know and for everyone else have a hard time finding out for them to know. Keep'em guessing. God has a sick and cruel sense of humor, perhaps that's how he gets his kicks.

I mean, if he wanted his creation to know he would have told them, wouldn't that stand to reason? God works in mysterious ways, confounding too.

Why not look into abiogenesis?

But, I would be honest for now and say that we don't know, But to answer one mystery, why is there life, with another mystery aka, god did it, answers nothing. but perhaps someday we will know why.
But for now life for life sake works for me.

There is noting wrong admitting our ignorance, but it is worse to make things up.

I found this on the net taken from the New International Version NIVUK does that mean it has been updated?

anyway, here what it says from Genesis

"26 Then God said, ‘Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.’"

Rickoshay75

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 03:03 pm
@Poseidon384,
Poseidon384 wrote:

As my old college song put it: We're here because we're here because we're here because we're here. Auld Lang sine take-off

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. Mark Twain
0 Replies

Poseidon384

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 08:01 am
@argome321,
im sorry, but i just have to ask this question to atheists. if God does not exist, then how did matter come into being at all. the big bang could only have happened if matter were there to make it.
FBM

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 08:07 am
@Poseidon384,
Poseidon384 wrote:

im sorry, but i just have to ask this question to atheists. if God does not exist, then how did matter come into being at all.

How did this god come into being? Was it created? If not, then why does the universe have to be created? That's a case of special pleading, logically speaking, and one that leads to infinite regress.

Quote:
the big bang could only have happened if matter were there to make it.

Why? That's a bald assertion that needs to be substantiated.
0 Replies

argome321

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 10:25 am
@Poseidon384,
Quote:
im sorry, but i just have to ask this question to atheists. if God does not exist, then how did matter come into being at all. the big bang could only have happened if matter were there to make it.

Do you think god just popped out of thin, ah...whatever?

Are you saying god isn't made up of some type of matter whether it's solid, gaseous or liquid etc?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 09:30 pm
@argome321,
You're asking the wrong question. The first question should be, who created god?

Only one guess permitted. Mr. Green Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 09:43 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Hey, Tak! Good to see you back here. How ya doin'?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 09:50 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Still in recovery mode from my kidney failure, and going to dialysis twice a week for three hours per. It's the most boring part of my life now, but might as well get used to it. Other than that, my energy level is about 25% of what it used to be. It's a drag for people like myself who loves to remain active. The good news is that my nephrologist said I can travel, but I need to make sure I have access to dialysis treatments.
Since my sister and her husband spend time in Honolulu by staying in my nephew's condo, we stay at the same place when we go. My sister's there now, but I have too many appointments and activity happening at home to stay away for any extended period.

FBM

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 10:03 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Good to hear that you can travel around now, ci.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 10:09 pm
Quote:
Why Does Life Exist
Life exists because not existing was too strenuous . It was easier to exist .
0 Replies

argome321

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2015 03:27 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
You're asking the wrong question. The first question should be, who created god?

I was trying to do that in my round about sarcastic why. Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 01:22 pm
@Poseidon384,
God exists because man created him. Matter came into being because it evolved into it from the right environment.
0 Replies