Why Does Life Exist

Olivier5

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2015 07:18 am
Because it could?

(if something can happen, it ultimately will happen)
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2015 07:27 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

And that is not to mention the lies they have spoken about God's purpose and the condition of the dead.

By that, do you mean the stuff people have said that do not agree with your indoctrination, Neo...who do not agree with the blind guesses you have about whether or not a GOD exists...and about the nature of that GOD?

Think, Neo. This is your chance. This is your chance to actually exercise that "free will" you suppose your supposed GOD gave to you.

Exercise it.

If you truly do not KNOW there is a GOD...acknowledge that you do not know.

If you do not KNOW the purpose of any GOD you want to suppose exists...acknowledge that you do not know.

Do it, Neo.
neologist

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2015 01:16 pm
@Frank Apisa,
God's purpose is clearly stated in Genesis, chapter 2.
Adam's sin may have caused interruption, but God did not change his purpose.

We could suppose the bible to be completely wrong.

But to aver that a God capable of creating us would be powerless to undo Satan's works is the height of credulity. You caterwaul over mankind's misery and place the blame on the creator while ignoring the lie of the serpent. Perhaps you believe the lie of the serpent. I don't.

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2015 01:37 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

God's purpose is clearly stated in Genesis, chapter 2.

It is??? Can you be more specific? I'm not sure what you see to be a "clear purpose."

Quote:
Adam's sin may have caused interruption, but God did not change his purpose.

How could Adam sin...since he did not know right from wrong.

Quote:
We could suppose the bible to be completely wrong.

Terrible wording, Neo.

I don't think the Bible is "wrong"...but my guess is it is a self-serving history of the early Hebrew people...with a preposterous mythology interspersed.

But wrong???

Quote:
But to aver that a God capable of creating us would be powerless to undo Satan's works is the height of credulity.

Are you making this up on the go...or did you make it up earlier and are just using it on me because I happen to be here.

I have said absolutely nothing about the power of the god to do...or not to undo...the work of Satan.

Quote:

You caterwaul over mankind's misery and place the blame on the creator while ignoring the lie of the serpent.

I do not do caterwauling at all, Neo.

And when I am dealing with that fairy tale...I do not "blame" anyone...nor do I ignore anything.

What are you raving on about?

Quote:

Perhaps you believe the lie of the serpent. I don't.

I also do not do "believing", Neo. The story is there...and I accept that story as told. I don't try to tweak it to fit an agenda I am forced to adopt...as you do.

The story tells us that the god placed these people in a garden; told them not to eat the fruit of one of the trees; made sure there was someone there to tempt them into eating the fruit of that tree; and insisted that the couple be denied any idea of what is right and wrong.

And you are worrying about a "lie" of some sort.

Focus on the sting, Neo.

Anyway, the couple ate of the fruit...as any five year old could have told the god they would.

Any lies told by anyone...pale in comparison to the sting.

Accidentally I typed "stink" instead of "sting" there. Actually, it was a sting that stunk. You ought to open your eyes and see it. It is a lot more important and revealing than any lie you suppose got told...no matter who told it.

(I am getting a kick out of you trying to set that lie thingy up for me, Neo. Give it up, it ain't gonna work.)
Poseidon384

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 12:03 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank, God didnt put the serpent there. It was the devil in disguise. The devil is an angel, which, obviously, God gave free will to as well. The reason it is obvious is the way he just rebelled against God. The serpent was there out of his own free will. Adam did know he sinned, because he knew that was wrong from God telling him. He also hid from instead of confessing to God. Sin.
FBM

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 12:15 am
@Poseidon384,
Wow. Grown adults talking about things like that as if they were real. Wow.
Poseidon384

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 12:19 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

That was uncalled for and immature. You have no proof and neither do I. That makes it also ignorant.
FBM

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 12:35 am
@Poseidon384,
If you're making the claim, the burden of proof is on you, not those who doubt you.

What's uncalled for is the perpetuation of a thought system that terrifies young children with horror stories about hell and serves as a breeding ground for things such as faith healing and encouraging magical thinking over evidence-based reason.
Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 03:52 am
Now for an à propos musical interlude . . .

0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 06:41 am
@Poseidon384,
Poseidon384 wrote:

Frank, God didnt put the serpent there. It was the devil in disguise.

Who, or what, put the "devil in disguise" there?

Infinite regression.

Quote:
The devil is an angel, which, obviously, God gave free will to as well.

So...it is the god who did it. Which is what I said. Thanks for agreeing with me. Sorry it took you so long.

Quote:
The reason it is obvious is the way he just rebelled against God. The serpent was there out of his own free will.

Who gave the serpent the free will?

Infinite regression.

Quote:
Adam did know he sinned, because he knew that was wrong from God telling him.

According to the story...the god refused to tell Adam what was wrong and right...what was good and evil...and the god insisted that Adam not be able to gain that knowledge.

Are you saying the story is a lie?

Quote:
He also hid from instead of confessing to God. Sin.

Are you saying the story is a lie...or are you merely saying that the Bible is wrong about this?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 09:56 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

There are some adults on this thread?
JLNobody

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 05:32 pm
@Poseidon384,
Poseidon, stories containing talking serpents and disguised devills sound like such obvious examples of fairytales that I am always shocked to see educated people like you taking them seriously.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 05:42 pm
@JLNobody,
And shocking that others aren't shocked.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 10 Feb, 2015 06:22 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

FBM wrote:

There are some adults on this thread?

Well, dang. You got me there.
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 02:19 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Because it could?

(if something can happen, it ultimately will happen)

Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Murphy's law

“You want people walking away from the conversation with some kernel of wisdom or some kind of impact.” Henry Dean Stanton

“What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO.” John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
0 Replies

Poseidon384

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 02:40 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

What's uncalled for is the perpetuation of a thought system that terrifies young children with horror stories about hell and serves as a breeding ground for things such as faith healing and encouraging magical thinking over evidence-based reason.

Kids are not scared of that. They do not such torture, so they do not fear it. When they explained hell to me as a child, which they went into great depth to achieve, did not scare me one bit until I was 20.
Poseidon384

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 02:44 pm
@Frank Apisa,
According to the story...the god refused to tell Adam what was wrong and right...what was good and evil...and the god insisted that Adam not be able to gain that knowledge.

Actually, God told him not to eat fruit from the tree In the middle of garden, Adam knew this, and yet he did it anyway. sin. Plus, the book of Genesis most likely did not happen. Proof, fossils of dinosaurs and the earliest forms of life on Earth.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 03:04 pm
@Poseidon384,
Poseidon384 wrote:

Actually, God told him not to eat fruit from the tree In the middle of garden, Adam knew this, and yet he did it anyway. sin.

It would only be sin if Adam knew it was wrong...or sinful.

The God denied Adam the knowledge of what is right and wrong...good or evil.

That is what the story tells us.

Adam had no idea that doing what the god told him not to do...

...was wrong.

Quote:

Plus, the book of Genesis most likely did not happen. Proof, fossils of dinosaurs and the earliest forms of life on Earth.

I'm not talking about whether it happened or not.

I am talking about what the story tells us.

If I say that Cinderella lost her slipper...it doesn't mean that I think the Cinderella story is real....or that it happened.

There is a story being told...about the god telling Adam not to do something...but not allowing Adam to know there is anything wrong with disobeying.

Get it?
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 05:32 pm
@Poseidon384,
Poseidon384 wrote:

FBM wrote:

Kids are not scared of that. They do not such torture, so they do not fear it. When they explained hell to me as a child, which they went into great depth to achieve, did not scare me one bit until I was 20.

Speak for yourself. I and every child in the church I went to were told horror stories on a weekly basis about how horrible it is to go to hell. There was nothing particularly unusual about that church.

KhanKaiser

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2015 01:14 am
@FBM,
Wait, FBM, what church did you grow up in?