Progress in consciousness?

jnhofzinser

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 06:25 am
Terry wrote:
Why would derivation from mindless processes make intelligence an illusion?
I suppose we could postulate the "spontaneous generation" theory of intelligence. But I suspect that it would suffer the same fate as the "spontaneous generation" theory of life.
Terry wrote:
The buck stops at core consciousness.
If it were that simple, we might have been able to end this thread in agreement a while back Wink
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 06:27 am
Gelisgesti wrote:
Hi Terry, your question implies that consciousness requires 'physicality'.
If that were true, then would'nt one or more of the five senses be able to detect it?

We use a sixth sense to detect our own consciousness, and our other senses (vision, primarily) to observe the output of machines that detect the workings of the brain that are correlated with conscious processes.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 06:28 am
jnhofzinser wrote:
I suppose if it were that simple, we would have ending this thread in agreement a while back Wink

Since when have people agreed just because one of them is right? Laughing
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 06:33 am
Terry wrote:
I agree with you now Cool

(just so you don't miss it, I was editing the above post as you were replying -- I'm off on vacation for a week-ish -- have fun!)
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 06:48 am
Terry wrote:
Gelisgesti wrote:
So let me explain the objection more precisely. Let's take as our example my decision to walk across the room. We say: my decision, a mental event, immediately causes a group of neurons in my brain to fire, a physical event, which ultimately results in my walking across the room. The problem is that if we have something totally nonphysical causing a bunch of neurons to fire, then there is no physical event which causes the firing. That means that some physical energy seems to have appeared out of thin air. Do you see? Even if we say that my decision has some sort of mental energy, and that the decision causes the firing, we still haven't explained where the physical energy, for the firing, came from. It just seems to have popped into existence from nowhere.

As our reading says, there is a physical principle, called the "Principle of the Conservation of Energy." According to this principle, "In all physical processes, the total amount of energy in the universe remains constant." Or in a form you may have heard before: in any change anything undergoes, energy is neither created nor destroyed. This is a basic principle you probably learned about in high school physics. So the point is that nerve firings, which are allegedly caused by a totally nonphysical decision, would appear to violate the Principle of the Conservation of Energy.

Nerves and neurons use chemical energy (obtained from the food we eat) to generate electrical impulses. There is no violation of any physical law here.

My take on this is that the mind is a patterned energy field produced and sustained by the firings of millions of neurons in an intricate network. A neuron is stimulated to fire when impulses from other neurons exceed its threshold. Each neuron may be connected to thousands of other neurons. The network "reaches a decision" by adding and subtracting neurons to and from the network as their input reaches or fails to reach the threshold (in other words, it accesses memories, logical processes, and emotions) until a condition is achieved where the network is providing sufficient stimulation to the nerves that tell the body to do something. No mysterious mental forces are required.

A computer program has several types if condition is met then perform function or 'if then' statements. The statement 'if then'alone, will do nothing except maybe hang tthe program. The program needs to know 'what if' and 'what then'.
In the brain the program of life,so to speak, is written as you live, line by line The random synaptic events that eventually lead to speach are not the same events that lead to the distinction of 'bear' vs 'bare'.

Google 'Action Potential' for the skinny on neuron firing.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 06:53 am
Terry wrote:
Gelisgesti wrote:
Hi Terry, your question implies that consciousness requires 'physicality'.
If that were true, then would'nt one or more of the five senses be able to detect it?

We use a sixth sense to detect our own consciousness, and our other senses (vision, primarily) to observe the output of machines that detect the workings of the brain that are correlated with conscious processes.

The five we know of are easy to address, how do you utilize or quallify ttheh sixth? Are there more?
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 07:22 am
Terry wrote:
BoGoWo wrote:
and why must 'consciousness' receive such 'adoration'; surely any living creature has a degree of consciousness which integrates its systems into a functioning unit. As the complexity grows so grows the degree, or perhaps 'complexity' of the more 'capable' entity.

Probably because consciousness is the closest thing we have to a soul, a mysterious entity that can survive the death of the brain. If consciousness is explainable by physical processes, there is no hope for eternal life or the belief that we are the pinnacle of creation. Crying or Very sad

as usual, we agree 'completely (*)' ; except you seem to regret the reality, while i embrace it.

Caviat (*): "a soul, a mysterious entity that can survive the death of the brain." - the 'exception'; where has your astounding grasp of science reached to support this? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 07:57 am
Terry wrote:
jnhofzinser wrote:
I suppose if it were that simple, we would have ending this thread in agreement a while back Wink

you are on top form this morning; but i must challenge you;
"two" of us are right! Laughing
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:10 am
Gelisgesti wrote:
................A computer program has several types (of) - if condition is met then perform function - or 'if then' statements. The statement 'if then'alone, will do nothing except maybe hang tthe program. The program needs to know 'what if' and 'what then'.
[such 'helpful' information, to the 'unclean']
In the brain the program of life,so to speak, is written as you live, line by line The random synaptic events that eventually lead to speach are not the same events that lead to the distinction of 'bear' vs 'bare'.

My vote rates Terry's 'meaty' grasp of brain function well above anything "Googley".
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:29 am
o.k. then; a revelation:

i have a "closet" 'vision' - universal consciousness, like a string (a very large string) of christmas lights (for the tech's info - the series type, not parallel), glowing gaily across the universe; each light a living 'consciousness'. And when a being dies, one light winks out; when another is born, there is a new glow in the 'heavens'.

and what does this 'universal consciousness' do?

it looks pretty!

[i'm serious Embarrassed ]
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:38 am
BoGoWo wrote:
Gelisgesti wrote:
................A computer program has several types (of) - if condition is met then perform function - or 'if then' statements. The statement 'if then'alone, will do nothing except maybe hang tthe program. The program needs to know 'what if' and 'what then'.
[such 'helpful' information, to the 'unclean']

My vote rates Terry's 'meaty' grasp of brain function well above anything "Googley".

I'll bet you did not know that your continual contentiousness does little to promote the discussion or to elevate your personal feelings of inadequacy.
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:43 am
Gelisgesti wrote:
...........I'll bet you did not know that your continual contentiousness does little to promote the discussion or to elevate your personal feelings of inadequacy.
Rolling Eyes

And fortunately i can count on your assistance in bolstering my personal feelings of inadequacy, which need all the help they can get; thanks. Laughing

otherwise i would remain an arrogant prick! Shocked
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 08:52 am
BoGoWo wrote:
Gelisgesti wrote:
...........I'll bet you did not know that your continual contentiousness does little to promote the discussion or to elevate your personal feelings of inadequacy.
Rolling Eyes

And fortunately i can count on your assistance in bolstering my personal feelings of inadequacy, which need all the help they can get; thanks. Laughing

otherwise i would remain an arrogant prick! Shocked

See what I mean ..... a bit off the subject are'nt.

If I were you I would'nt worry about beinrng an 'arrogant prick..... you have nothing to be arrogant about. :wink:
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 09:01 am
Gelisgesti wrote:
...........If I were you I would'nt worry about beinrng an 'arrogant prick..... you have nothing to be arrogant about. :wink:

I'll stick with the 'christmas lights'. :wink:
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 11:52 am
Terry wrote:
Each neuron may be connected to thousands of other neurons. The network "reaches a decision" by adding and subtracting neurons to and from the network as their input reaches or fails to reach the threshold (in other words, it accesses memories, logical processes, and emotions) until a condition is achieved where the network is providing sufficient stimulation to the nerves that tell the body to do something. No mysterious mental forces are required.

Terry, I do not think that you understand neural networks so well. But even if such a system were used for decision making, this would not explain self awareness. There are many parameters in the brain's decision making function, and I am positive that given all the same parameters, the exact same decision will be made each time. However, I am also confident that the many of the properties of our self awareness are parameters for the decision function.

Example:

we design a robot that makes decisions exactly like a human, but it lacks self awareness. we will be able to detect that it does not behave like a human, because many human behaviors are related to our self awareness...which changes the way we behave.

therefore, decision making cannot be separated from self awareness/consciousness.

by the way, gelis....terry did not say anything about implementing this with current computer programming technology (that was me, a few pages back, actually) so your refutation based on the limitations of control flow statements is not relevant. moreover, your understanding of control flow is a bit flawed...any program attempting to model human decision making/knowledge would necessarily be based around dynamically creating classes and dynamically creating members and methods in order to classify and understand life so that these classes could be instantiated for predictions, which are the basis of our decision making process. the basic procedural statements such as if, else, foreach, while, dowhile, loop, switch, goto, etc...would not be used as the main method for decision making...they would be used to control smaller control flows within functions/object methods.
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 12:27 pm
Since we're defining words, here's some dictionary definitions of "conscious" and "progress."

Conscious:
1. Having an awareness of one's environment and one's own existence, sensations, and thoughts.
2. Capable of thought, will, or perception: the development of conscious life on the planet.
3. Subjectively known or felt: conscious remorse.

Progress:
1.Movement, as toward a goal; advance.
2. Development or growth: students who show progress.
3. Steady improvement, as of a society or civilization:
0 Replies

ReX

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 02:15 pm
stuh505 wrote:

1 - if one considers every possibility worthwhile of discussing, no discussion will ever get finished. do you not think there are LIMITS to how ridiculous a comment be for it to be taken seriously? I think I have a very open mind...there is nothing that I enjoy more in an argument than having someone point out logical flaws I have made...but I will not waste my time discussing things which are self contradictory or not based on logic.

Too bad, I personally have enjoyed reading things like: http://www.carm.org/relativism/relativism_refute.htm
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 04:26 pm
tcis wrote:
Conscious:
1. Having an awareness of one's environment and one's own existence, sensations, and thoughts.
2. Capable of thought, will, or perception: the development of conscious life on the planet.
3. Subjectively known or felt: conscious remorse.

Tcis, this definition has already been posted here twice Razz

tcis wrote:
Progress:
1.Movement, as toward a goal; advance.
2. Development or growth: students who show progress.
3. Steady improvement, as of a society or civilization:

I assume by this unorthadox definition that you are hinting to the fact that no progress has been made. I know you started this thread, but it's not like you are funding the research behind it...you just spurred the discussion. And I'm afraid, if it's results you want, you won't get em here...because as we've already established in this discussion, it would be necesary to have more information to make conclusive evidence and at this point it's all speculation and everything that can be speculated logically already has been. The only thing that's keeping this thread going is the universal stubborness of all involved to cling to their ideas, as well as the clarification of already established concepts.

Rex wrote:
stuh505 wrote:

1 - if one considers every possibility worthwhile of discussing, no discussion will ever get finished. do you not think there are LIMITS to how ridiculous a comment be for it to be taken seriously? I think I have a very open mind...there is nothing that I enjoy more in an argument than having someone point out logical flaws I have made...but I will not waste my time discussing things which are self contradictory or not based on logic.

Too bad, I personally have enjoyed reading things like: http://www.carm.org/relativism/relativism_refute.htm

Rex, that is an interesting article...I read most of it, I did not find any flaws in it, but I'm not sure why you are posting it. It doesn't contain any new theories, which was what I was talking about. I was saying that new theories can either be worhtwhile to look into or a waste of time to look into. But this does not propose any theories...
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 04:41 pm
If it cannot be seen, smelled, tasted, heard, or touched, .... it does not exist.
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 04:44 pm
Gelisgesti wrote:
If it cannot be seen, smelled, tasted, heard, or touched, .... it does not exist.

Hmmm...so a thought, a feeling that one can't quite describe, these do not exist?
0 Replies