Progress in consciousness?

Col Man

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 09:31 pm
hmm in my opinion we have made progress
but i dont know if itll be enough to save us from certain doom Smile
apart from the progress i think everything else is the same as it always was....
evolution dudes Exclamation
its happening Smile
i think we would all make a lot more progress if we all stopped arguing and got on with progressing Razz
i rest my case :wink:
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 10:03 pm
i think the thread is about progress in the understanding of consciousness...not progress in the evolution of consciousness Razz

but you're right, we're not doing either.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 10:07 pm
Adding to Tywvel's comment above, non-dualism has great truth value but little or no pragmatic value. It's true but useless. Dualism has little truth value but tremendous pragmatic value. It is false but useful. We cannot live without dualism; we cannot live fulfilled without non-dualism.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 10:30 pm
BoGoWo, argues against the functionalist fallacy that things exist because of the functions they serve. How did he put it? "there is absolutely no justification for the 'leap' from the existence of any entity, to the 'need' for it to have been 'created'." I partly agree regarding natural processes. But we can see that humans make things, like houses, because they need them; houses serve vital functions like providing shelter. But it's only partly true to argue that natural entities exist because of their functions, their effects. To argue that they come into existence because of their functions is to presume some teleological force in nature or the actions of God of some kind. Things EMERGE, because of what we call causal forces. But, we can say that they PERSIST if they serve functions. But while they persist because of the functions they serve, this is not the explanation for their emergence. I think a function makes sense when we are talking about systems. The functional value of something pertains to how it contributes to the workings and persistence of a system. So functionalism explains the persistence of systems, not the emergence of their parts.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 10:34 pm
stuh505 wrote:
Quote:
Clearly .....
If it cannot be seen, smelled, tasted, heard, or touched, .... it does not exist.
Like 'thought', it just is not real.

I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to...

anyway, you're wrong...if humans were born blind, tasteless, deaf, and callous would you say nothing exists? the senses we have are arbitrary. there are many forms of matter which we cannot detect with our senses. and even for the forms we CAN detect, there must be significant quantities.

also, existing is not just for matter...concepts can exist too.

Are you that blue teletubby? Cmon, tell the truth.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:19 am
Sorry for taking up so much space today, but I don't often have the time to read and respond to posts on such an active thread.

JLNobody wrote:
So how do I claim to know which religious perspective is better? I confess, I DO NOT know that answer objectively. But I'll ask you to decide--since I have no problem with my judgement--by reading the Vedanta texts of the Upanishads, and works by Pat Robertson or Billy Graham.

I dug out my copy of the Upanishads and hope to read it this week, but please do not ask me to read Robertson or Graham! Sad I do not care to contribute to their crusade by buying any of their books.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:22 am
twyvel wrote:

Agreed that core consciousness is pretty much static, but extended consciousness relies on memories, learning, sensory data, and emotions and therefore changes constantly. Core consciousness "provides the organism with a sense of self about one moment - now - and about one place - here" and is generated by basic brain structures including brainstem nuclei, hypothalamus, and somatosensory cortices.

Extended consciousness "provides the organism with an elaborate sense of self - an identity and a person, - and places that person at a point in individual historical time, richly aware of the lived past and of the anticipated future and keenly cognizant of the world beside it," and involves networks in the temporal and frontal cortices, subcortical nuclei such as those in the amygdala, coordination by the thalamic nuclei, and working memory in the prefrontal cortices as well. Core consciousness is possible without extended consciousness, but not vice versa.

"In short, core consciousness is a simple, biological phenonenon; it has one single level of organization; and it is not dependent on conventional memory, working memory, reasoning, or language. On the other hand, extended consciousness is a complex biological phenomenon; it has several levels of organization; and it evolves across the lifetime of the organism. Although I believe extended consciousness is also present in some nonhumans, at simple levels, it only attains its highest reaches in humans. It depends on conventional memory and working memory. When it attains its human peak, it is also enhanced by language." Quotes are from Antonio Damasio.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:24 am
stuh505 wrote:
Some people are smarter than others. There are many people who cannot understand simple abstract concepts like calculus or basic scientific theories. But a "why" is just a LIST of reactions which exlpain the current state of being of an 'object'...and I think that there are certainly humans capable of understanding such a sequence, even for the most complex and abstract why's.

A point I've often wanted to make. :wink: Many people think that if they cannot understand something, it proves that there is a limitation to all human brains and not just their own.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:25 am
Gelisgesti wrote:
Consciousness springs from a much deeper well than a land bound clay shell.

If it comes from somewhere else, why does damage to the clay shell demonstrably impair consciousness?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:32 am
twyvel wrote:
If consciousness is an emergent phenomena then Krishnamurti, Buddhism nondualism etc. etc. are false; consciousness cannot emerge from a fiction that it itself has created.

If objects of observation are observer dependent; have to be observed to exist as such, then the brain which is rarely observed does >not< give rise to consciousness, for cause and effect only come into existence upon observation. Consciousness has to be prior to that which is observed, prior to the observable uiniverse.

Well, consciousness can indeed be demonstrated to be an emergent phenomena, so non-dualism must be false. The universe existed long before any human being had conscious awareness of it.

Non-dualism (your version of it, at least) does not provide any explanation of where consciousness comes from, how we can perceive a world that does not exist, who created the illusions of this world, or why.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:33 am
BoGoWo wrote:
and why must 'consciousness' receive such 'adoration'; surely any living creature has a degree of consciousness which integrates its systems into a functioning unit. As the complexity grows so grows the degree, or perhaps 'complexity' of the more 'capable' entity.

Probably because consciousness is the closest thing we have to a soul, a mysterious entity that can survive the death of the brain. If consciousness is explainable by physical processes, there is no hope for eternal life or the belief that we are the pinnacle of creation. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:37 am
JLNobody wrote:
I am a part of it; I am conscious; I am alive. Ergo, the universe is at least to that extent conscious and alive. Who knows the extent of its consciousness and aliveness? Just because there is no possible way of scientifically demonstrating it, that does not warrant the assumption that it is dumb and dead, a mere mass of energy qua matter and gravity. I choose to think of its energy as ultimately something like mind and gravity as a form of attraction. Who knows?

There is a difference between conscious life existing on one small planet in the universe, and the universe itself being aware of anything. My mind is aware of my house, but my house is not aware of itself merely because it contains a person who is.

Mind as we know it is generated by a physical brain. We have not found structures in the universe that could provide the same functions (of course we can only detect a tiny fraction of the stuff of the universe), nor is it plausible that such a mind could evolve without natural selection and the requisite reproduction and competition. If information transfer is limited to the speed of light, how could a cosmic awareness span billions of light-years? It cannot use human minds to observe itself anywhere outside of this tiny region of space. As I understand it, some people "feel" a sense of cosmic unity but since you cannot derive any information from it, we do not know if the feeling is mutual.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:39 am
jnhofzinser wrote:
The question is: how did such an "obvious" universe come to be? We give it the name "intelligence" by projection: given that we are intelligent to observe it, there must be something "sufficient" to account for that intelligence. This "sufficient something" could be a mystical one, a theological one, or a statistical one. But it is more legitimate to assign it the name "intelligence" than to act as if it were not necessary

Nothing is required to "account for" the intelligence of various species on earth; it is a logical outgrowth of natural selection (not the GOAL of evolution, merely a possible outcome!). If intelligence is necessary to account for the existence of this universe, what accounts for the existence of the intelligence that caused it? And why should we arbitrarily attribute intelligence to events that seem to require nothing more than mindless processes?
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:45 am
Terry wrote:
If consciousness is explainable by physical processes, there is no hope for eternal life or the belief that we are the pinnacle of creation.
Very true. However, the causal link between this truth and the "adoration of consciousness" (which also occurs in folk uninterested in "eternal life" or "creation"), is still in doubt.

More practically, perhaps: if consciousness is explainable by physical processes, then what possible point could there be in debating it over the internet? Wink
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 06:00 am
Gelisgesti wrote:
So let me explain the objection more precisely. Let's take as our example my decision to walk across the room. We say: my decision, a mental event, immediately causes a group of neurons in my brain to fire, a physical event, which ultimately results in my walking across the room. The problem is that if we have something totally nonphysical causing a bunch of neurons to fire, then there is no physical event which causes the firing. That means that some physical energy seems to have appeared out of thin air. Do you see? Even if we say that my decision has some sort of mental energy, and that the decision causes the firing, we still haven't explained where the physical energy, for the firing, came from. It just seems to have popped into existence from nowhere.

As our reading says, there is a physical principle, called the "Principle of the Conservation of Energy." According to this principle, "In all physical processes, the total amount of energy in the universe remains constant." Or in a form you may have heard before: in any change anything undergoes, energy is neither created nor destroyed. This is a basic principle you probably learned about in high school physics. So the point is that nerve firings, which are allegedly caused by a totally nonphysical decision, would appear to violate the Principle of the Conservation of Energy.

Nerves and neurons use chemical energy (obtained from the food we eat) to generate electrical impulses. There is no violation of any physical law here.

My take on this is that the mind is a patterned energy field produced and sustained by the firings of millions of neurons in an intricate network. A neuron is stimulated to fire when impulses from other neurons exceed its threshold. Each neuron may be connected to thousands of other neurons. The network "reaches a decision" by adding and subtracting neurons to and from the network as their input reaches or fails to reach the threshold (in other words, it accesses memories, logical processes, and emotions) until a condition is achieved where the network is providing sufficient stimulation to the nerves that tell the body to do something. No mysterious mental forces are required.
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 06:02 am
Terry wrote:
jnhofzinser wrote:
We give it the name "intelligence" by projection.... This "sufficient something" could be a mystical one, a theological one, or a statistical one.

And why should we arbitrarily attribute intelligence to events that seem to require nothing more than mindless processes?
Please note that my "we give it" was not a defence of the fact, just a statement of the fact. Please also note that it is entirely consistent with my post to label as "intelligent", by projection, a mindless statistical process as sufficient for our intelligence.

If, however, our intelligence is simply a result of "unintelligent-by-definition mindless processes", then it would appear that intelligence itself is an illusion: that it is just the convergence of enough of the right "mindless stuff" to create the ego-driven need to "feel intelligent."

Unfortunately, the same must be said of "egos". In effect, self-awareness itself must be an illusion: that it is just the convergence of enough of the right "un-self-aware" stuff to have the observer declare herself "self-aware".

Unfortunately, the same must be said for "observation"...

And it doesn't stop; this is Twyvel's "infinite regress" that represents a stumbling block for the materialist.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 06:03 am
twyvel wrote:

Agreed that the perception of the object and the consciousness of perceiving the object can be said to merge since the neurons that were activated by impulses from the eyes, ears, nerves, etc. are connected to the neurons that produce consciousness of the object. But the physical object that is the source of the perceptions is distinctly separate from the consciousness that observes it.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 06:03 am
Terry wrote:
Gelisgesti wrote:
Consciousness springs from a much deeper well than a land bound clay shell.

If it comes from somewhere else, why does damage to the clay shell demonstrably impair consciousness?

Hi Terry, your question implies that consciousness requires 'physicality'.
If that were true, then would'nt one or more of the five senses be able to detect it?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 06:12 am
jnhofzinser wrote:
More practically, perhaps: if consciousness is explainable by physical processes, then what possible point could there be in debating it over the internet? Wink

Does there have to be a point? Smile There is no consensus even in the scientific community on whether consciousness is explainable. Everyone has pet theories, and may not believe that anyone else could find an answer if they could not.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 06:21 am
jnhofzinser wrote:
If, however, our intelligence is simply a result of "unintelligent-by-definition mindless processes", then it would appear that intelligence itself is an illusion: that it is just the convergence of enough of the right "mindless stuff" to create the ego-driven need to "feel intelligent."

Unfortunately, the same must be said of "egos". In effect, self-awareness itself must be an illusion: that it is just the convergence of enough of the right "un-self-aware" stuff to have the observer declare herself "self-aware".

Unfortunately, the same must be said for "observation"...

And it doesn't stop; this is Twyvel's "infinite regress" that represents a stumbling block for the materialist.

Why would derivation from mindless processes make intelligence an illusion?

Why do you consider self-awareness to be an illusion? Yes, it derives from un-aware stuff, but if there were not a self to be aware of itself, the illusion could not exist. It is not an infinite regress, it is a specific process in the brain whereby core consciousness is generated and aware, and extended consciousness is aware of the fact that it is aware. There are no other mysterious "unobserved observers." The buck stops at core consciousness.
0 Replies