Where Do You Stand on Permits to Take Animals Everywhere?

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 09:44 pm
Once you claim that you are needing your animal for emotional well being businesses cant say no, it is the law. Last week someone was in the news for taking a fairly large pig on an airplane, to sit on her lap. I am seeing a lot more dogs in all of the stores.

My take...... NO. Actually not just no but HELL NO. This is victim culture run amuck.

EDIT: I think public shaming of those who pull this bullshit is in order, mocking them for being weak should do the trick.

What say you?

FBM

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 10:31 pm
I say anyone whose emotional well-being is pegged to a pig shouldn't be allowed out in public without supervision in the first place. Confused
0 Replies

Pearlylustre

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 10:53 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'm not so much into public shaming but I'm going to have some strong words if I'm forced to sit next to a pig on a plane.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 10:56 pm
@Pearlylustre,
Pearlylustre wrote:

I'm not so much into public shaming but I'm going to have some strong words if I'm forced to sit next to a pig on a plane.

this one immediately started pooping, which did get it and its owner thrown off.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 11:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
http://www.ndtv.com/news/images/story_page/Pig_on_plane_650_1Dec14.jpg
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2014 11:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Qualification:
The ADA defines "emotional/psychological disability" very broadly and does not limit the type of disability for which an emotional support animal can be used. The essence of the law states that if you have any emotional or psychological condition that prevents you from performing normally on a day to day basis, then you are qualified.

Note: To be accompanied in the cabin of an aircraft by your ESA at no charge, airline companies require that you have a properly written letter from a licensed therapist, counselor, or in some cases, physician, which states that you are emotionally disabled and require an ESA as part of your treatment. Property managers, landlords, and HOAs may also require some sort of verification for you to qualify for no pet, limited weight of pet, and/or restricted species/breed pet housing.

If you have no therapist or your therapist is unwilling to write such a letter, we recommend using Chilhowee Psychological Services; a licensed and legitimate mental health agency who specializes in online disability assessments and offers a letter of prescription to clients who qualify: www.cptas.com

http://www.nsarco.com/emotional-support-confirmation.html

In other words for the right fee the letter can be obtained.

Quote:
What Animals Qualify To Be An ESA?
All domesticated animals may qualify as an ESA (cats, dog, mice, rabbits, birds, snakes, hedgehogs, rats, mini pigs, ferrets, etc.) and they can be any age (young puppies and kittens, too!). These animals do not need any specific task-training because their very presence mitigates the symptoms associated with a person's psychological/emotional disability, unlike a working service dog. The only requirement is that the animal is manageable in public and does not create a nuisance in or around the home setting.

http://www.nsarco.com/emotional-support-info.html#b2

SUPER! http://www.democraticunderground.com/emoticons/sarcasm.gif
nacredambition

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 04:56 am
@Pearlylustre,
Quote:
Where Do You Stand on Permits to Take Animals Everywhere?

Generally, I prefer to stand in front. Being behind the animal is so passe with a slight sniff of out-dated and aside from that beside is fraught with the likelihood of aileron leg-lifting imperative.

This is the first that I'd herd of the new "Permits to Take Animals Everywhere" and whilst I could bleat at the sight of flying pigs. I shall apply myself.

If there is no standing room on the flight, I imagine I'd send myself on ahead and hope that my brawn and the pig's flying prowess would see us untruffled and safely home.

At the porcine-avianarian level, I can see them flocking to take off notwithstanding passengers standing and giving cause for concern due to fly by night operators.

It's all up to us.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 07:07 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
I think public shaming of those who pull this bullshit is in order, mocking them for being weak should do the trick.

damn right, **** those blind people, man up, get your eyes working again, like my old coach always said, "walk it off"
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 07:17 am
https://cdn2.cdnme.se/cdn/9-2/1106373/images/2010/flygande-gris_105642779.gif
Let it fly home to the pigsty
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 08:37 am
@hawkeye10,
While I agree that pets can be very therapeutic I also agree that their presence everywhere has gotten out of hand. Businesses have quit asking for any documentation and the problem is escalating.

I had a friend who got one of those "comfort animal" designations for her completely untrained, large, dog and it was a nightmare to go anywhere with her. The dog was a nuisance to to anyone who came close. I'm seeing more and more like that.

Properly trained assistance animals are one things, this is completely different. Training and some kind of visually observable certification should be required.

For years my city was known for being very dog friendly. That's changing. People are getting tired of dogs being everywhere.

Maybe it's a west coast thing but I definitely think it's a problem.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 12:28 pm
@boomerang,
I feel another the decline of civilization brought on by the failure to properly evaluate and prioritize rant coming on.

This reminds me of all of these idiot Olympia drivers who create chaos in their effort to be " nice", as they violate the rules of the road for special exceptions, constantly. We took a perfectly good idea to make sure wheelchairs could get up and down the sidewalks and around buildings and then we kept going to the nutso extreme, and created chaos with our impulse to aid the cripples.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 08:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
What Animals Qualify To Be An ESA?
All domesticated animals may qualify as an ESA (cats, dog, mice, rabbits, birds, snakes, hedgehogs, rats, mini pigs, ferrets, etc.) and they can be any age (young puppies and kittens, too!).

I can't wait to get my king cobra and komodo dragon registered.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 08:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
What? In most of Europe you can take your dog anywhere - they're in restaurants (unless it specifically says otherwise), stores, and venues.
They're not allowed in butcher stores but most butchers will give you a sausage if Fido is waiting outside and licking the glass.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 08:40 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
What? In most of Europe you can take your dog anywhere - they're in restaurants (unless it specifically says otherwise), stores, and venues.

Good point. However it is very difficult to find a dog in Germany if you are an American, because the Germans tend to be convinced that Americans are not good pet owners, we are not up to their standards.

A german with a dog in Karstadt does not equal an American with a dog in Macy's.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 08:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yeah, but I see people with small dogs in their purse at department stores and it doesn't bother me the least bit. Why does it bother you?
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 08:56 pm
@CalamityJane,
Small dogs in purses is not the limit. Do you really want to need to pass some white trash with their pit bull and three kids who are all running around in the frozen food isle at Walmart?

Come to think of it the comparison of how german kids act and how American kids act is the decisive argument for why Americans should not be allowed the same pet travel privileges that Germans enjoy.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 09:50 pm
@CalamityJane,
What I'm seeing in Oregon is poorly behaved dogs being taken everywhere under the guise of being therapy dogs. I welcome dogs anywhere as long as they're well mannered but that isn't the case here.

I cringe at all the dogs riding in shopping carts because I don't really like putting my food where someone's dog has been sitting.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 10:29 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

In most of Europe you can take your dog anywhere - they're in restaurants (unless it specifically says otherwise), stores, and venues.

Yeah, but most German dogs are better trained than the kids I see around here even if they're the same age.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2014 10:38 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

CalamityJane wrote:

In most of Europe you can take your dog anywhere - they're in restaurants (unless it specifically says otherwise), stores, and venues.

Yeah, but most German dogs are better trained than the kids I see around here even if they're the same age.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/emoticons/clap.gif
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2014 02:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
I wouldn't normally have an issue with a well trained dog/pet (of course depending on the circumstances/size and where ever) but you cannot rely on people to train their pets well --- look at some with their children running wild.

I have taken my dog on the plane - not a service dog, but on many airlines for a price you can bring them on in a carrier that fits under the seat. People do not usually even know he is there as his carrier looks like a duffle bag. Similar to in hotels - you can pay a higher price and have your pet stay with you - now granted we make sure we clean up after him and keep him quiet - I figure you need to do so, otherwise those benefits will go away. I have found most pet owners that travel with pets are respectful - unfortunately as in most things it is the few that ruin it.

I also think that the safety of the passengers as a whole is more important than someone that needs an assistant pet - such a pet should have to meet certain criteau to have to be a special needs type pet and that should include proper behaviour.
0 Replies