Torture, It's What's For Breakfast (and Lunch and Supper)

McGentrix

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 09:08 am
This report was written by democrats for democrats. Just a fine example of masturbatory rhetoric from the left. They knew what was going on and why.

I still contend that it was enhanced interrogation and maybe borderline torture. Hardly the torture one thinks of from the middle ages where people are beheaded on the public square.
parados

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 09:48 am
@McGentrix,
Nothing to see folks. It's perfectly OK that the US committed war crimes. The problem isn't the war crimes. The problem is it is politics when someone tells us about it. Just like the problem isn't police killing black men. The problem is black men provoking police in order to be killed. Provocations like standing there doing nothing but being black.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 09:56 am
@McGentrix,
it was written for this Democrat?

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/09/politics/mccain-lauds-release-terror-report/index.html

Quote:
CNN) -- Republican Sen. John McCain broke with members of his party Tuesday, lauding the release of the Senate Intelligence Committee's report on torture and decrying the use of torture as having "stained our national honor" and doing "much harm and little practical good."
McCain, a survivor of torture himself from his Naval service during the Vietnam War, said from the Senate floor that the techniques outlined in the report "not only failed their purpose — to secure actionable intelligence to prevent further attacks on the U.S. and our allies — but actually damaged our security interests, as well as our reputation as a force for good in the world."

Quote:
McCain said that while "the truth is a hard pill to swallow...the American people are entitled to it." And he acknowledged that violence against the U.S. from the "Muslim world" is "possible..perhaps likely," but argued that America's enemies "hardly need an excuse" to attack the nation, so the good done by the release of the report should trump any security concerns.

"This report strengthens self-government and, ultimately, I believe, America's security and stature in the world," he said.

During his comments, McCain referenced his own experience with torture and argued that it "produces more misleading information than actionable intelligence," and that "we can and we will" win the war on terrorism without such techniques.

But he argued that the U.S. shouldn't resort to such tactics not just because they're ineffective and potentially dangerous, but because they undermine the nation's values and beliefs.

"I have often said, and will always maintain, that this question isn't about our enemies; it's about us. It's about who we were, who we are and who we aspire to be. It's about how we represent ourselves to the world," he said.

McCain added: "When we fight to defend our security we fight also for an idea...that all men are endowed by the Creator with inalienable rights."

"Our enemies act without conscience. We must not," he added.
giujohn

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 10:10 am
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
If anyone wants to know how an armchair warrior thinks, then this is above is worth another read.

Its bleeding heart liberal scum like this asshole who the terrorist absolutely love.

They depend on the naivete of jerk offs like this so that they will always be sure of an advantage over us.

The CIA is like Sausage: no one would eat it if you saw how it was made.

I DON'T GIVE A RATS ASS HOW THEY DO IT AS LONG AS THEY GET IT DONE.

It's a dirty business and the other team doesn't play nice. Neither should we. If we had listened to idiots like this dumb ass during WWII we'd all be speaking German.
parados

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 10:12 am
@giujohn,
Why should we worry about the terrorists overseas when we have you right here willing to act exactly like they do? Perhaps it's you we should worry about.
thack45

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 10:17 am
@revelette2,
revelette2 wrote:

I wonder what the accountability will be? What in the world could we do to in any way atone for the sheer inhumane torture done at the hands of the CIA with the backing and direction of our government and with the support of our people?

I didn't mention atonement, which is not synonymous with accountability.

I meant accountability moving forward, as to the usefulness of the report, aside from using it to formally make it known who did and didn't 'do it'.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 10:22 am
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

I DON'T GIVE A RATS ASS HOW THEY DO IT AS LONG AS THEY GET IT DONE.

and what did they get done behaving as they did?

they got no useful/usable information

If their goal was to develop ISIS, then I guess you can say THEY GOT IT DONE.

I'm sure you'll be able to explain the upside of the US recruiting for ISIS/ISIL.
giujohn

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 10:44 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
they got no useful/usable information

And you know this how???
izzythepush

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 10:53 am
@giujohn,
It was in the senate report. Actually it's worse than that, evidence obtained under torture had one suspect admitting helping Saddam Hussein obtain WMDs, which was then used as reason to invade Iraq. If you torture people, they'll tell you whatever you want to hear, which is one reason we never used it against the Nazis during WW2.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 10:53 am
@giujohn,
Because the victims would have been as brave as you under such circumstances, giu.

Squealing like a little stuck pig and telling them anything to keep them happy.

Below viewing threshold (view)
parados

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 12:40 pm
@coldjoint,

So in your world, you win by becoming what the other side wants you to be?
Below viewing threshold (view)
revelette2

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 12:52 pm
@coldjoint,
So you would think it is ok for our enemies to torture our soldiers as long as they got it done? Those who tortured McCain did nothing wrong? By what right would we have to object if we do the same?
coldjoint

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 12:55 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
So you would think it is ok for our enemies to torture our soldiers as long as they got it done?

Do you see the word enemy? What do you think that means? If it what you have to do is win, you do what it takes.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 01:07 pm
@ehBeth,
Yep.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 01:09 pm
@ehBeth,
They got Bin Laden as a result. I'd say that's something.
parados

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 01:15 pm
@McGentrix,
They did not get Bin Laden as a result of torture. That claim has been debunked so many times, no one should even be attempting to make it.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 01:18 pm
@McGentrix,
errrr nope
coldjoint

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 01:20 pm
@parados,
Quote:
That claim has been debunked so many times, no one should even be attempting to make it.

That never stopped you pushing your crap before. Is there anything that this country has done right? I doubt it.
0 Replies