Do all Catholics believe in evolution, as the Pope does

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 03:58 pm
Seriously, I was raised and educated a Catholic, and in the sixth grade I was taught the basics of evolution from a nun, which puzzled me, because I was aware of the controversy. Anyway, the Pope has now declared that evolution is real, as it clearly is on a certain level. So I was wondering if you do not believe in evolution on religious terms, what do you think of the popes ideas.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 15 • Views: 4,909 • Replies: 93

Kolyo

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 06:10 pm
@DNA Thumbs drive,
All good Catholics must, since the Pope is infallible.
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 06:30 pm
@Kolyo,
Actually that is only true at certain times, or so they say. The Pope also says that if aliens visit the Earth, that they should be given respect.......

The Pope knows.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 09:07 pm
Doctrine says the Pope is infallible when he speaks on faith or morals.
The Church's stance on evolution has been clear for over a hundred years, evolution is a scientific fact.
This Pontiff's remarks are nothing new, it's just that the most recent Popes have had nothing to say on the science.

Joe(I did love him saying that God was not a wizard. heh)Nation
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 10:24 pm
@Joe Nation,
The Popes ideas on how aliens should be treated are in fact very new..... http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/pope-francis-says-he-would-baptise-aliens-9360632.html
They are coming
glitterbag

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 10:58 pm
Yes, all but the stupid Catholics believe in evolution. In fact, I don't think even stupid Catholics believed that Methuselah lived to be 900 years old.
knaivete

Reply Mon 1 Dec, 2014 11:37 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
I don't think even stupid Catholics believed that Methuselah lived to be 900 years old.

Why not?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 03:46 pm
@DNA Thumbs drive,
Quote:
in the sixth grade I was taught the basics of evolution from a nun, which puzzled me, because I was aware of the controversy.
There is no "controversy" except in the minds of the Creationists who are seeking some credibility for their worldview in the face of overwhelming evidence against it.

The doctrine of "Special Creation" was adopted by Pope Pius XXII , in this doctrine, everything evolved EXCEPT humans, who were "Created". The adoption of full frontal Darwinian EVolution came with John Paul with the teeny mod that all evolution is what wed define as "Theistic". So Catholics are still taught about a meddling "designer" who uses a drunken sailors path to give rise to life on the planet.

Ctholics are "free" to believe any other story also, thus there are centers like the KOLBE Center for Cretionist Catholics (my title).
I just know of the Kolbe Center from debates with some of their ""scientists """.

Guys like Ken Miller merely put their religions aside when theyre at work.

HEREhttp://www.kolbecenter.org/
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 04:31 pm
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

All good Catholics must, since the Pope is infallible.

That is not correct as stated.
George

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 04:43 pm
@Frank Apisa,
It's a zinger. It doesn't have to be correct.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 04:47 pm
@George,
George wrote:

It's a zinger. It doesn't have to be correct.

Oops, I think you might be correct, George.

I missed the sarcasm.

Even Catholics who leave the church for good...sometimes get defensive for the ole institution.
0 Replies

DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 05:33 pm
@glitterbag,
I was taught evolution by a nun in Catholic school, the Pope believes in evolution.

Why do you hate?
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 05:42 pm
@farmerman,
The only true doctrine of creation, will be the one that science proves, this is true unless God returns and avails himself to the World. Seriously, every religion has a different reality, and since there can only be one reality, then it is highly likely that all divinities are wrong. This does not discount the need for a creator however, it just discounts past human writings. God will be revealed in the future, what God will be, may well be what we already know, or something quite different.
farmerman

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 05:46 pm
@DNA Thumbs drive,
Quote:
The only true doctrine of creation, will be the one that science proves

I don't think Id hold my breath on this one.

The Kolbe Center may be your kinda coffee house
Setanta

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 06:15 pm
I wouldn't put a lot of credence in anything the pope says . . .

DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 06:29 pm
@farmerman,
Now understand that I do believe in God, but what is it that makes your religion better than any other?
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 06:30 pm
@Setanta,
So you do not believe in evolution then, is this correct?
glitterbag

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 06:32 pm
@DNA Thumbs drive,
I was also taught evolution by the nuns, but years earlier than the 6th grade. They knew the difference between science and religious doctrine, the nuns were not stupid. Why in the world do you ask me "why do you hate"? Do you hate something?
DNA Thumbs drive

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 06:41 pm
@glitterbag,
You wrote and I quote "Yes, all but the stupid Catholics believe in evolution. In fact, I don't think even stupid Catholics believed that Methuselah lived to be 900 years old. "

So why do you hate stupid Catholics?
glitterbag

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2014 06:54 pm
@DNA Thumbs drive,
I don't hate stupid Catholics, I'm just stating the world is full of stupid people and some of them happen to be Catholics. You asked "do all Catholics believe in evolution?", speaking as person raised in the Catholic Church and educated in Catholic schools, if a person is a Catholic and believes in creationism, they probably are really not Catholic. They have another belief system and are confused about reality. Although I haven't attended Catholic services in quite a while, I still believe in science and evolution. It's kind of hard to un-ring that bell.