Craven and Bi-Polar Bear have inspired OCCOM BILL to finally

George

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 04:08 pm
The Lovely Bride quit some twenty-odd years ago. She felt some urgency because we working on starting a family and she wanted to be well quit of the coffin nails before getting pregnant. Deciding to make a virtue of necessity, I told her if she quit, then I would too.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 04:14 pm
Thanks, Bill, for causing me a lot of stress. You were so enthused with getting people to quit on June 11, that I was forced to start. How the hell else would I be able to quit if I didn't smoke in the first place?

So, I ran down to the store after reading your plea, and bought a pack of smokes.

These things are great!

I think I might be hooked.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 04:20 pm
Aim for Friday, June 11th 2004, for your final cigarette Heeven!

Thank you all, again, for your support!

Gus, you are flat out f@cking hilarious. Laughing
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 04:22 pm
YEAH! Go BILL!! Wow! Can't believe I'm saying this, but....

I'm Going to quit on June 11th!!! I'll do it with you, okay? (Quit, that is. Not IT.)

I've been building up to this decision for a few weeks, and your post is forcing me to finally take the leap.

THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION!! WE CAN DO THIS!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 04:27 pm
Bill- I believe that you can do whatever you decide to do.

RAH RAH RAH................SIS BOOM BAH...GO BILL, GO!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 04:30 pm
Thanks Phoenix, don't forget about Squinney!

squinney wrote:
YEAH! Go BILL!! Wow! Can't believe I'm saying this, but....

I'm Going to quit on June 11th!!! I'll do it with you, okay? (Quit, that is. Not IT.)

I've been building up to this decision for a few weeks, and your post is forcing me to finally take the leap.

THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION!! WE CAN DO THIS!

Awesome Squinney! There is strength in numbers! Mark my words; We will prevail!
Say it with me now, in your deepest, most booming voice: We are quitting smoking on Friday, June 11th 2004
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 04:34 pm
Best to you, Bill!

PS June 11 is Jacques Cousteau's birthday; he'd've been 94.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 04:37 pm
Squinney- Com'on kid......you can do it. I'm pulling for you!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 04:50 pm
Going "cold turkey" is the way to stop smoking.

Be sure, you don't starting eating too much after you quit the smoking.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 04:56 pm
Miller - You are so right. Unfortunately, one of the triggers for me is after a meal, so eating is not a good replacement.

I've always heard sunflower seeds are good substitutes. You have to work so hard (occupy your hands and mouth) and get so little for your effort, so calories are minimal.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 04:57 pm
Did that sound right???????
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 04:57 pm
One time I quit using Lifesaver Lollipops as a substitute. I looked like an overgrown kid, but it worked!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 04:59 pm
Quote:
You have to work so hard (occupy your hands and mouth) and get so little for your effort

C'mon, Squinney, Bear hears you talking like that... it's gonna destroy his ego.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 05:42 pm
knitting helps.

one of my bad times for smoking used to be after work, at home, watching tv, talking on the phone. i knit a LOT of sweaters for about 18 months. i was knitting at night, in the morning, going to work, on coffee and lunch breaks. i couldn't smoke or eat while i was knitting.

knitting is clearly not the answer for everyone.

i think it may work for Gus. he seems very confident in his masculinity. <saving the rest of this until we find out if O'Bill manages to put away those ciggies>
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 05:46 pm
I seem to remember that there was a football player who used to knit. anyone remember who that was?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 05:53 pm
A fair number of pro hockey and basketball players apparently knit while on the road. It helps people who need help in working on their 'mental math' and 'patterning' skills. (that comes from a foggy memory of a developmental psych course some 20/25 years ago - and a placement where I had to teach kids with math problems how to count out Fair Isle patterns)
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 06:25 pm
Quote:
I seem to remember that there was a football player who used to knit. anyone remember who that was?

Rosy Grier.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 06:36 pm
Did I miss the reason for chosing June 11th? Why build up? I quit many times before it became permanent. When I quit that last time, I just stopped. Now build up like the other times, no deadline. Just got tired of smoking.

Yes, keeping hands and mouth busy helps. I had a friend who's boyfriend helped her quit by keeping her busy when she had a craving.

Also, your blood sugar seems to go wacky when you quit, so you'll crave sweets, allow yourself some without going too over-board. I chewed licorice root (bland sweet thing, not the anise flavor) and drink straws (I worked at a bar). Chew ice. Drink a little more coffee and think about taking a couple days off of work if you can.

Sunflowers seeds helped.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 06:37 pm
Oh, and good luck to each and everyone of you who joins the quit-parade.

Hey, if squinney fails, does BPB get to call her a pussy too?

{running away}
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 06:47 pm
Littlek, Friday, June 11th 2004 is nothing special, just right after a vacation I don't want to be miserable on. Plus it gave others time to join me if they so desired. So far only Squinney is brave enough to face the challenge with me.

Thanks again everyone for your advise and well wishes!
0 Replies