Craven and Bi-Polar Bear have inspired OCCOM BILL to finally

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 01:27 pm
QUIT SMOKING!

I recently, quite hypocritically, told Craven he should put the cigarettes down, while he still can. As if any of us can't. I hereby inform you that Friday, June 11th 2004 will be my final day as a smoker. When the clock strikes midnight, I will destroy whatever stock of cigarettes I still have, scrub the ashtrays clean and put them away for future guests.

In the event I fail; I hereby authorize BPB (and whoever would like to join him) to address me as "pussy", until such time as I succeed.

I don't remember the exact day I decided to start smoking, but it's been 20 years now and that is enough. As of today, I am in perfect health, so assuming that I don't develop a smoking-related ailment in the next 13 to 18 years; I will have gotten away with 20 years of a very bad habit.

I'd start this journey sooner, but I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow morning to Wisconsin, and I don't wish to be irritable around my friends and family there.

If anyone would like to join me on this historic day of Friday, June 11th 2004, please do. The more the merrier. If not, that's cool. I wrote this for me. One of the few things I hate more than being a hypocrite is to break my word, so the more I talk the better my chances of success.

Best quitting quote I've ever heard:
"It is important to remember that any discomfort you may feel is because you started, not because you quit."

(Feel free to do whatever you wish with this thread. I will check back in periodically to rant, bitch, moan, cry, complain, etc, etc, etc!)

fishin

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 01:29 pm
Feh. Can't hack it huh? Ya big quitter. Razz
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 01:30 pm
I quit smoking on January 2, 2000. It wasn't a new year's resolution, I just woke up and felt like crap. I didn't cold turkey though, I allowed myself a smoke here and there, and used another old non-habit (snuff) to ease the cravings. Took about a month and I was done forever. If you don't like snuff you could just chew on that there cigar, just don't light it.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 01:42 pm
I quit cigarettes once by chewing tobacco instead. Then I got hooked on the chewing tobacco. Then I quit the chewing tobacco by starting on cigars. But then I got hooked on the cigars. Then I quit the cigars by starting cigarettes. But then I got hooked on the cigarettes. Then I quit . . . well, I guess you know where this is going.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 01:45 pm
Friday, June 11th 2004, Kicky... Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around. Idea
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 01:48 pm
Yeah, we'll see. I might give it a shot. I have quit before, actually, and went for about three years without any tobacco addiction. It helped that I got really into the gym thing during that time.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 01:48 pm

good luck, bill -- and anyone else willing to try.
(bill, don't forget to stomp on them stogies as well...)

my dad quit cold turkey when he was in his 40's -- doctor's orders -- after 25 years of cigarettes, then cigars, then a pipe. he switched to toothpicks and gum as substitutes, and is still going strong some 30 years later.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 01:50 pm
Every time you read Friday, June 11th 2004, hear it as if being said by that deep voiced, echoing radio announcer advertising the Sunday drag-races at the county fair! :wink:

Thanks Region!, I'll do that!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 02:19 pm
Go, O'Bill!
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 02:24 pm
Good luck Bill!
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 02:29 pm
[size=7]You can do it![/size]
You can do it!
You can do it!
You can do it!
You can do it!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 02:31 pm
o.k., you dang cheesehead, go for it!

enjoy Wisconsin - try not to get arrested - and then come back so we can cheer you on!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 02:42 pm
Thank you all for the well wishes about Friday, June 11th 2004!

ehBeth wrote:
enjoy Wisconsin - try not to get arrested - and then come back so we can cheer you on!
Shocked What a peculiar thing to say... do I know you? :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 02:56 pm
Bill, as one who has done it, I tell you I know you can do it. No maybies about it.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 03:18 pm
Thanks Edgar. I appreciate your support.

Now come on you wimps... join me! You have plenty of time to plan for Friday, June 11th 2004!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 03:19 pm
thinking about it . . .
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 03:24 pm
Good for you Kicky! Can you here that booming voice saying, Friday, June 11th 2004
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 03:33 pm
I just finished my last cigarette at midnight last night. I have my parents coming for a visit and I washed down the walls and cleaned the entire apartment so they would be comfortable and now the place is far too clean to light up! Unfortunately I want to buy a pack on the way home! I have relegated myself to having to go outside to smoke, hence I down to half a dozen ciggies a day. I don't think I can quit cold turkey but I wish you luck billy-boy!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 03:41 pm
Not only am I pleased that you have decided to quit smoking, I am also happy that you are no longer on fire.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 03:45 pm
We're with you, Bill!
0 Replies