How To Solve The Problem Of Terrorist Islam?

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 08:34 am
Ehm Ibn_kumuna when you use the words 'as a Muslim' it seems that you are apologizing for what other Muslims are doing. Why? Why should you, 'as a Muslim', apologize for the Iranian leaders? You are not responsible Ibn_kumuna. Please, do not get the idea you have to apologize for what other Muslims are doing!
0 Replies

Truthmountain

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 02:29 am
I'm baffled by a lot of what I read and enlightened as well...it seems to me that part of the problem of coming to any solution was posted a while back. It is with regards to attitude. As long as the mindsets of:

"I honestly do believe that the only long term solution to the problem of lawless Islamic Fascism is to get Islam to reform.
I do not see any other way, at this time, to allow Islam to reform itself other than by crushing Islamic Fascist Death cults." - Moishe3rd

and these albeit somewhat more hostile versions:

"One well placed A-bomb, dropped on a Friday, in the middle of downtown Baghdad, will go a long way in solving the problem!" Victor Murphy

"You give me five good men and a van, and I'll solve the problem of terrorist islam " - Scoates

exist the problem will always continue. Moishe3rd I believe part of your problem lies in your idealism of the USA. You say:

"I believe that the United States attempts to promote good values.
We often fail.
We are often corrupt.
We are often wrong.
We need to try harder.
We need to work harder at it.
We need to succeed.
However, as a country; a culture; a government; a Constitution - we believe that good values are to be desired."

and in part I agree, but the key word at stake here is OFTEN!! Far too often we are wrong, yet point the finger at another and claim that they are wrong, and far too often it is done in the name of God. Why should Islam reform? Why should Islam as a religion reform and Christianity not do the same? As long as you point the finger at Islam as being the problem then at least one follower of Islam is going to be pissed, and will find spiritual fuel to oppose you in any number of ways.

Per your question:
"Why do you think that the United States has to reform in order for (evil) Muslim (fascist death cultist) terrorists to reform."

The answer seems clear. We are a hypocritical force smugly spreading ourselves culturally around the world...not fully addressing our own. We need to succeed but so OFTEN we do not. If we took it upon ourselves to be closer to the Gospel then perhaps things would change, but we seperate church and state...sortof.

"Accomodating and reforming in the face of a vicious enemy has not been a sound historical practice."

Then the Native Americans and Africans did the wrong thing, and should have picked up guns and slaughtered White folks every chance they got?

"The U.S. is less interested in Empire than the former Iraqi regime"

How do you figure this is the case. I was speaking with a man while in Peru recently, and he was disgusted that the US went into Iraq. As far as he could see it was a move for their oil (like many others I spoke with), but he stated that the US is dangerous because it is the empire that doesn't admit it is the empire unlike Rome or Britain. Know thyself came to mind.
T.M.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Thu 22 Jul, 2004 07:20 am
Truthmountain wrote:
Far too often we are wrong, yet point the finger at another and claim that they are wrong, and far too often it is done in the name of God.

You may be right in terms of what some people believe.
However, the current war against Islamic Fascist terror is not being waged "in the name of G-d." It is being waged as a national response to a perceived threat. You may disagree with the "perceived threat," but the US is not waging a "religious" war.

Why should Islam reform?

Because Islamic Fascists that claim to be practicing their religion are brutally murdering those that do not agree with their particular vision, mostly Muslims...
The problem is that there are many state supported clerics; journalists; leaders; shieks; mullahs; etcetera who support this Islamic Fascist practice of murdering innocents, mostly Muslims....
So, either all of Islam is going to eventually get with this program, G-d forbid, or the umans are going to have to get together and condemn this sort of activity. That would be a major reform.

Why should Islam as a religion reform and Christianity not do the same?

As far as Christianity brutally murdering innocents in the name of their G-d, I can tell you from personal experience, as a Jew, that they are no longer practicing this sort of activity, at least in the United States...
I believe their may be a few countries or sects around the world that believe in Killing for Christ, but, as far as I know, there are NO Christian religious leaders promulgating murdering other innocent Christians; or Jews; or Muslims; or Hindus; or any other peoples.
If I am wrong about this, someone should help me learn what Christian scholar or leader is advocating the murder of innocents.
Whatever else Christians ought to do to "reform," fine. That's between their G-d and them.

As long as you point the finger at Islam as being the problem then at least one follower of Islam is going to be pissed, and will find spiritual fuel to oppose you in any number of ways.

This is perfectly understandable. However, if their anger is such that it justifies murdering "infidel" babies because they are pissed at my finger pointing, then I claim the ethical and civilized high road and pronounce them a danger to civilization.

Per your question:
"Why do you think that the United States has to reform in order for (evil) Muslim (fascist death cultist) terrorists to reform."

The answer seems clear. We are a hypocritical force smugly spreading ourselves culturally around the world...not fully addressing our own.

Okay. I will try and understand this. You are claiming that we need to "embargo" or some how curtail the spread of "American culture" (G-d, what an oxymoron Laughing ) to the rest of the world?
And we need to address... I'm not sure what, instead.
I suspect that this is not what you mean, but I also suspect that this is an important part of what you believe we need to reform.
So, maybe you could be more specific?

We need to succeed but so OFTEN we do not. If we took it upon ourselves to be closer to the Gospel then perhaps things would change, but we seperate church and state...sortof.

Again, I am unclear on what you are advocating here? A more religious stance on the part of the US?

"Accomodating and reforming in the face of a vicious enemy has not been a sound historical practice."

Then the Native Americans and Africans did the wrong thing, and should have picked up guns and slaughtered White folks every chance they got?

No. Because your "slaughtered" epithet would make them as "guilty" as the White folks.
However, in principal, yes. One reason the American Indians have tracts of land called "reservations" is because they did resist the invasion of the White folks. If they would have been capable of resisting and counterattacking in a more organized or effective manner, then they would now be the owners of large chunks of North America (Central & South too, if you are including all natives.)
The "accomodation and reform" that Native Americans underwent in "the face of a vicious enemy" destroyed their culture; their heritage; their people; their entire way of life. It was NOT a sound practice if they wanted to preserve these things.

"The U.S. is less interested in Empire than the former Iraqi regime"

How do you figure this is the case. I was speaking with a man while in Peru recently, and he was disgusted that the US went into Iraq. As far as he could see it was a move for their oil (like many others I spoke with), but he stated that the US is dangerous because it is the empire that doesn't admit it is the empire unlike Rome or Britain. Know thyself came to mind.
T.M.

Okay, I believe that this is the crux of your objections. I suspect this is what you meant when you were writing the "spread of American culture."
My questions would be the same I have posed earlier in this thread.
Specifically, how is the United States interested in Empire?
What would you suggest the US do to reform the specific faults that you name?
What reforms should the US undertake in order to overcome / change / ameliorate its faults regarding "Empire" and the "spread of American culture?"
And how would these reforms solve the problem or help the reform of "Terrorist Islam?"
0 Replies

Truthmountain

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 06:25 am
Obviously you are intelligent and articulate and you enjoy mincing words. Your questions are rhetorical and I doubt you really want an answer for any reason other than to shoot it down...yet the task is compelling for the while and the practice is good...

M3 said
"You may disagree with the "perceived threat," but the US is not waging a "religious" war."

Flat out wrong...

"Pope John Paul II has a strong message for President George W. Bush: God is not on your side if you invade Iraq. But the President told the pope's envoy the leader of the world's Catholics is wrong....The Pope also questioned the President's statements invoking God's name as justification for the invasion."

Hmmm.....

This is very much a religious war. Even more so if you consider that the US sets about creating its empire via economic forces primarily (only use force if the opposition doesn't bend), and on every single dollar bill it clearly states "In God We Trust". It's as though every dollar is a bullet. Evidence of a colonialist agenda???? Is this really beyond your sight? Japan,The Phillipines, Bolivia, Puerto Rico, Iraq...is the US presence there purely beneficial and benign?

M3 said
"As far as Christianity brutally murdering innocents in the name of their G-d, I can tell you from personal experience, as a Jew, that they are no longer practicing this sort of activity, at least in the United States..."

You're a Jew speaking for the actions of all christians in America? I can think of more than a few Christian based hate groups that would love to kill you. Minorities are killed in this country all the time by bible thumping Christians aiming at cleansing this land. And yes there are plenty of countries around the world in which Christianity is used as a killing agent Rwanda comes to mind. I believe some 90% of the country is Christian...but killing doens't have to take place immediatly. It's possible to poison a population's water with toxic run off.

M3 said
"if their anger is such that it justifies murdering "infidel" babies because they are pissed at my finger pointing, then I claim the ethical and civilized high road and pronounce them a danger to civilization."

Point a finger and three point back old chum. And your high road ain't so high and your civilization ain't so civilized...that's the whole point.

M3 said
"You are claiming that we need to "embargo" or some how curtail the spread of "American culture" (G-d, what an oxymoron ) to the rest of the world?"

Oxymoron - Etymology: Late Greek oxymOron, from neuter of oxymOros pointedly foolish, from Greek oxys sharp, keen + mOros foolish
: a combination of contradictory or incongruous words (as cruel kindness); broadly : something (as a concept) that is made up of contradictory or incongruous elements

Please point out the oxymoron in my statement. American culture? Do you think this is the oxymoron? Because that is exactly what is in question and under attack. American culture can be spotted by non-Americans thus it exists...and yes it is a force that can be seen as threatening. McDonalds, and other fast foods, music, films and any other cultural product that is sold abroad and injected into another cultures mainstream at the expense of that cultures own products.

Hollywood has inflicted so much damage around the world it's frightening. The values that are bound in these products are absorbed and at times stand in conflict with a given countries values. Cram them down their throat enough times and it becomes normative. The kids listen to hip hop and dress with the bling even though they have no idea what they are saying and what they are representing...the adults buy into the capitalist model and pursue money to all ends even if it means destroying the integrity of their social structures...

The US needs to keep itself out of the dealings of other countries. It needs to pay attention to the ills within its own boundries and root out the evil that lies within itself before trying to root out the evil in any other land. If it wishes to be a true model of a super power then do it by example not by might. Show the rest of the world how to take care of themselves by showing them how we take care of ourselves, not by blowing them up or forcing them into an economic strangle hold.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 06:52 am
I wasn't a supporter of the Iraq war, but to say the US was waging a religious war ... a religious war is one with clear religious intentions, as in the Crusades (although even the Crusades had political reasons) ... to say Bush is Christian: yes. And the 'In God We Trust' on a dollarbill: yes. But for me personally that does not indicate Bush waged a religious war.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 08:09 am
Okay Truthmountain,
I understand that you do not like the United States; the invasion of Iraq; and overthrow of Saddam Hussein; and the spread of American culture...
And yes, I was referring to the two words, American plus culture, put together. It was a bit of a self-deprecating joke.
I am not mincing words.
I understand your unhappiness, I just don't understand the logic behind it.
This board tends to have more than its share of "liberal" posters and I am trying to understand the fierce opposition they have to the United States and the war on Islamic Fascism (Terrorism), not to mention the hatred of George Bush (and also the peculiar belief that Israel is aso a "monster."
I have learned more from this particular thread (How to Stop...) about how people think than I have from any other.
I am attempting to find the rationale behind people's opinions.
I will continue to dissect your post, because I am interested in your reasons why you think the way you do.
However, one major point that you left out is why you consider America to be an Empire like Rome and Great Britain. As I said, it seems that your dislike of what we are doing stems from this idea.
Which is different from "the spread of American culture."

Truthmountain wrote:
Obviously you are intelligent and articulate and you enjoy mincing words. Your questions are rhetorical and I doubt you really want an answer for any reason other than to shoot it down...yet the task is compelling for the while and the practice is good...

M3 said
"You may disagree with the "perceived threat," but the US is not waging a "religious" war."

Flat out wrong...

"Pope John Paul II has a strong message for President George W. Bush: God is not on your side if you invade Iraq. But the President told the pope's envoy the leader of the world's Catholics is wrong....The Pope also questioned the President's statements invoking God's name as justification for the invasion."

Hmmm.....

This is very much a religious war. Even more so if you consider that the US sets about creating its empire via economic forces primarily (only use force if the opposition doesn't bend), and on every single dollar bill it clearly states "In God We Trust". It's as though every dollar is a bullet. Evidence of a colonialist agenda???? Is this really beyond your sight? Japan,The Phillipines, Bolivia, Puerto Rico, Iraq...is the US presence there purely beneficial and benign?

I have not researched this recently, so you may correct me if I'm wrong, but last I knew, we do not have troops in the Phillipines and Bolivia.
I believe that our troops in Japan are there at the behest of the Japanese.
Puerto Rico happens to be a United States possession. They get to vote on it regularly. And, of course, Iraq is the question.
If you are claiming that the US has waged "imperial wars" against smaller (Bolivia?) or weaker (Spain) nations, then of course you are correct. We also kept slaves; didn't allow women to vote; rigged national presidential elections; let wealthy capitalists murder and crush their opponents; etcetera.
However, as time has gone on, the US has attempted to correct these abuses, sometimes violently at great cost.
Today, 2004, I don't think you can call the US an Empire in the normal usage of the word.
This is where my confusion lies. You think we are ??something not good, but what it is exactly, I cannot tell.
As far as a religious war, that makes no sense to me.
I can suppose that you might be an Atheist and therefore find any mention of religion in anything offensive, but that is also an extreme "religious" point of view where an individual claims that "since I believe in No Religion, all others should refrain from expressing their beliefs."

M3 said
"As far as Christianity brutally murdering innocents in the name of their G-d, I can tell you from personal experience, as a Jew, that they are no longer practicing this sort of activity, at least in the United States..."

You're a Jew speaking for the actions of all christians in America? I can think of more than a few Christian based hate groups that would love to kill you. Minorities are killed in this country all the time by bible thumping Christians aiming at cleansing this land. And yes there are plenty of countries around the world in which Christianity is used as a killing agent Rwanda comes to mind. I believe some 90% of the country is Christian...but killing doens't have to take place immediatly. It's possible to poison a population's water with toxic run off.

M3 said
"if their anger is such that it justifies murdering "infidel" babies because they are pissed at my finger pointing, then I claim the ethical and civilized high road and pronounce them a danger to civilization."

Point a finger and three point back old chum. And your high road ain't so high and your civilization ain't so civilized...that's the whole point.

Hmmm. I am using the analogy that you brought up about pointing fingers.
I believe, quite strongly, that the deliberate murder of innocents is evil.
And, I believe that evil needs to be resisted. As much as possible.
I would venture a guess that most cultures; religions; countries; peoples; etcetera consider the deliberate and brutal murder of innocents, Evil.
Obviously, some don't. I believe that those that do not and practice this hideous crime need to be destroyed.
Do you disagree?

M3 said
"You are claiming that we need to "embargo" or some how curtail the spread of "American culture" (G-d, what an oxymoron ) to the rest of the world?"

Oxymoron - Etymology: Late Greek oxymOron, from neuter of oxymOros pointedly foolish, from Greek oxys sharp, keen + mOros foolish
: a combination of contradictory or incongruous words (as cruel kindness); broadly : something (as a concept) that is made up of contradictory or incongruous elements

Please point out the oxymoron in my statement. American culture? Do you think this is the oxymoron? Because that is exactly what is in question and under attack. American culture can be spotted by non-Americans thus it exists...and yes it is a force that can be seen as threatening. McDonalds, and other fast foods, music, films and any other cultural product that is sold abroad and injected into another cultures mainstream at the expense of that cultures own products.

Hollywood has inflicted so much damage around the world it's frightening. The values that are bound in these products are absorbed and at times stand in conflict with a given countries values. Cram them down their throat enough times and it becomes normative. The kids listen to hip hop and dress with the bling even though they have no idea what they are saying and what they are representing...the adults buy into the capitalist model and pursue money to all ends even if it means destroying the integrity of their social structures...

Whereas I am not sure of the "capitalist model" thing here, I basically agree with you.
However, as a free individual who is responsible for the choices I make, I choose not to engage in "American culture," as you put it.
I (and my family and most of my friends) do not eat McDonalds.
I do not listen to "popular music" that I find offensive. Or watch movies that I find offensive. My children do not listen to hip hop or dress in bizarre and provocative manners.
We choose to disengage to a limited extent.
It is interesting that elsewhere on this Spirituality & Religious Forum, there were comments by Europeans about how prudish Americans are and how easily offended by profanity.
Anyway...

The US needs to keep itself out of the dealings of other countries. It needs to pay attention to the ills within its own boundries and root out the evil that lies within itself before trying to root out the evil in any other land. If it wishes to be a true model of a super power then do it by example not by might. Show the rest of the world how to take care of themselves by showing them how we take care of ourselves, not by blowing them up or forcing them into an economic strangle hold.

Not to be redundant, but I would pose the same question that I posed last time, this time dealing with the above and what I wrote before:
What evils that lie within the US would you have us root out before trying to root out the evil in any other land?
In what fashion do you believe the US is forcing other nations into an economic stranglehold?
And, more to the point of this thread, as I wrote:
Specifically, how is the United States interested in Empire?
What would you suggest the US do to reform the specific faults that you name?
What reforms should the US undertake in order to overcome / change / ameliorate its faults regarding "Empire" and the "spread of American culture?"
And how would these reforms solve the problem or help the reform of "Terrorist Islam?"
0 Replies

Truthmountain

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 06:53 pm
Moishe3rd to say you understand my unhappiness but not the logic behind it is to not understand my happiness. It just doesn't follow. I too have learned a bit of how folks like you think/read/overlook. Your oxymoron quip to me is much more indicative of a dislike for the United States than anything I have posted, and I don't recall mentioning that I hated Bush anywhere.

Just a few quickies....

Regarding religion. If the Pope feels that Bush is using God as justification, then I feel that "religious war" is more than justified. In addition:

"It's hard to be perturbed when you believe what our president believes. According to Professor Bruce Lincoln, who teaches a seminar on the theology of George W. Bush at the University of Chicago Divinity School, the president "does feel that people are called upon by the Divine to undertake certain positions in the world, and undertake certain actions, and to be responsible for certain things. And he makes, I think, quite clear?explicitly in some contexts, and implicitly in a great many others?that he occupies the office by a Divine calling. That God put him there with a sense of purpose.""

Fine.

The Japanese accepted our troops because we bombed them into submission.

The process of colonization as I see it happening first uses force then economic measures to keep the stricken country sucking on the US's teat. this was reinforced when I read this:

"The Director of the neo-conservative Olin Institute for Strategic Studies at Harvard University, Stephen Peter Rose, who worked in the Department of Defense, the National Security Council of the USA and the Naval War College and was a founding member of the Project for a New American Century, summarised the basic assumptions of this new military view of the world in mid-2002 as follows: ?The United States has no rival. We are militarily dominant around the world. (?) We use our military dominance to intervene in the internal affairs of other countries (?) our goal is not combating a rival, but maintaining our imperial position, and maintaining imperial order (?) Planning for imperial wars is different from planning for conventional international wars. In dealing with the Soviet Union, war had to be avoided (?) Imperial wars to restore order are not so constrained. The maximum amount of force can and should be used as quickly as possible for psychological impact?to demonstrate that the empire cannot be challenged with impunity. During the Cold War, we did not try very hard to bring down communist governments. Now we are in the business of bringing down hostile governments and creating governments favorable to us. (?) Imperial wars end, but imperial garrisons must be left in place for decades to ensure order and stability. This is, in fact, what we are beginning to see, first in the Balkans and now in Central Asia (?) Finally, imperial strategy focuses on preventing the emergence of powerful, hostile challengers to the empire: by war if necessary, but by imperial assimilation if possible.?"

yeah...

Moishe3rd disengaging from the components of US culture that you find unsavory does not remove you from being related to them in the eyes of non-Americans. McDonalds is America which is you. The Suya in Brazil were fighting America when they went up against McDonald's cutting down the trees on the land upon which the Suya lived in order to create grazing grounds for their cattle...which created more hamburgers for you to ignore but have free access too.

"Hmmm. I am using the analogy that you brought up about pointing fingers. I believe, quite strongly, that the deliberate murder of innocents is evil.
And, I believe that evil needs to be resisted. As much as possible.
I would venture a guess that most cultures; religions; countries; peoples; etcetera consider the deliberate and brutal murder of innocents, Evil.
Obviously, some don't. I believe that those that do not and practice this hideous crime need to be destroyed.
Do you disagree?"

No Moishe3rd I don't disagree with you and this is one of the evils that still lies within the US that needs to be addressed. Let's deal with that! Shades of Oklahoma Timmy darkening the screen...do you think he's an isolated individual? The recent sniper shootings, the Columbine shooting...etc. Why are these things happening? Why aren't we trying to figure that out and do something about it? Why do we have ghettos? Why do we have homelessness. Why do we have so much money in this country but it can't make it into the public school systems to elevate the education of our children? Is it because so many folks remain disengaged to these plights and are content with their own little version of the US? Where's that Christian benevolence?

"In what fashion do you believe the US is forcing other nations into an economic stranglehold?"

Are you serious? I bet you could figure this one out yourself...the Bolivian struggle against the privatization of their water (including rainfall!!!) was my reason for using said country in earlier posts...

Moishe3rd If you came to me as an individual and began to tell me how to live my life, beat me up because I wouldn't listen to you and then imposed a regiment of living upon me afterwards I would have issues from the onset. The fact that you felt it necessary to tell me how to live being the first, and having to use force being the second. If all the while you were beating your chest claiming to be the best in terms of morality it would be all the more salt in my wounds...
0 Replies

o0memyselfandi0o

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 03:54 am
hey everyone............
i just wanted to add a lil thing......

i think that the bombing that muslim groups do in IRAQ are right...cuz IRAQ is in a middle of a war...and it seem that the IRAQs PEOPLE JUST DONT WANT US TO BE THERE.......

the bombing is palestine is ok too........its war isnt it ??
y do u always talk about when muslims bomb jews in palestine...and never talk about the other side......i mean the jews.....maby some times they dont kill .....but they go ..... bomb down inocent ppl houses...and leave... Surprised ...sounds simple huh...

the bombing is saudi arabia is so so wrong......maby if there was a war going on or somthin......but its wrong to just bomb ppl.....

and muslims know that......but im not sure about this group in saudi arabia... im not sure if they r payed to do this.....or they just thought it might be fun...... im not sure they r even educated..they dont know what r they doing....they dont even know what does islam mean......im not a muslim but i read alot about it.......and im sure there is somthin wrong going on......
just wanted to say what i think.............:wink:
0 Replies

IAN442

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2004 04:03 pm
Ibn - can anyone reach the real reason for the killing ?

I would really really like some honest answers about the entire state of affairs.

Can it be done ? Who is up to the task ?
0 Replies

Scarlettmarsden

Reply Wed 28 Jul, 2004 01:28 am
Hey I know! We'll confiscate all their bombs and give them ice cream! Yaaaay!
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 01:04 am
o0memyselfandi0o wrote:
I think that the bombing that muslim groups do in IRAQ are right...cuz IRAQ is in a middle of a war...and it seem that the IRAQs PEOPLE JUST DONT WANT US TO BE THERE.......

Well it's obvious those groups don't want Western troups in the countries, but are they speaking for all Iraqis? I mean, in a sense of that all Iraqis think it's right to use a lot of violence as a way to get the troups out of Iraq - do the Iraqis support the violent way?
0 Replies

VMinuteman

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 03:00 pm
When I was learning to drive (way back in 1975) the instructor had to spend an hour in the gas line everyday. That was because the Arabs held an oil embargo. We got into fuel economy and energy conservation for a few years but quickly returned to our gas guzzlers.

The current system is not sustainable. As nations like China and India modernize the demand for oil will increase drastically. Common sense tells you that if we get into a compettion with these emerging nations for the oil the Arabs will be making winfall profits. A good protion of those profits will go into warfare against us.

If we become energy independent, however, there will be economic pressure placed on their entire culture to clean up their act. If we move towards independence they will be forced to deal with what is really a Muslim family matter. They'll have to clean up the terrorists themselves if they want any of our business.

Process for curing the problem

1) place a tariff on all oil imports. Begin small, and continue to increase it until it forces a reduction in consumption.

2) Use the money collected to provide energy related projects such as solar, wind, biomass etc that will provide energy and jobs.

Each increase in tariffs will reduce our foreign oil consumption. We don't have to totally eliminate it, just reduce it to a level that will not enslave us to their countries.
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:24 pm
VMinuteman wrote:

Process for curing the problem

1) place a tariff on all oil imports. Begin small, and continue to increase it until it forces a reduction in consumption.

2) Use the money collected to provide energy related projects such as solar, wind, biomass etc that will provide energy and jobs.

Each increase in tariffs will reduce our foreign oil consumption. We don't have to totally eliminate it, just reduce it to a level that will not enslave us to their countries.

Solar, wind, and biomass energy projects are bullshit.

We have two main shots at eliminating the problems we have with energy. One is finding ways to utilize the deep earth oil reserves:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=38645

The second is cold fusion and, before you start laughing, you might want to check the cover of the August issue of Popular Mechanics and the article it involves. DOD and DOE have ordered a bottom up re-evaluation of cold fusion, i.e. they have basically just called a whole lot of physicists with phd degrees a bunch of idiots and ordered them to get their act together, and one of the more major issues involved is the prospect of obtaining tritium from cold fusion processes. Several of the very brightest people I associate with have been telling me this stuff was real for the last dozen years and the PM article leves no doubt.
0 Replies

VMinuteman

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 07:47 pm
Sorry to disagree, but the entire island of barbados has solar rooftop collectors for hot water production. If a third world country I think we could. The reason we don't is because the keep the price artificially cheap.
As a result this country wastes huge amounts of energy, mostly because they "like" to. I used to live in Atlanta which is sometimes referred to the world's largest moving parking lot during rush hour. Bumper to bumper traffic at a crawl for and hour, twice a day, and eight lanes wide. 90 % of the cars have one person in it. No one wants to conserve, no one wants to manage their energy use.
A tarriff would reduce consumption almost immediately.

We've had high prices and the economy will survive. If this had been done ten years ago we wouldn't be in Iraq today, guarenteed. They'de be broke, and hungry and would want our food. They wouldn't have the money to buy these weapons, the air would be cleaner, and unemployment would be lower.
0 Replies

Moishe3rd

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 08:10 pm
VMinuteman wrote:
Sorry to disagree, but the entire island of barbados has solar rooftop collectors for hot water production. If a third world country I think we could. The reason we don't is because the keep the price artificially cheap.
As a result this country wastes huge amounts of energy, mostly because they "like" to. I used to live in Atlanta which is sometimes referred to the world's largest moving parking lot during rush hour. Bumper to bumper traffic at a crawl for and hour, twice a day, and eight lanes wide. 90 % of the cars have one person in it. No one wants to conserve, no one wants to manage their energy use.

We've had high prices and the economy will survive. If this had been done ten years ago we wouldn't be in Iraq today, guarenteed. They'de be broke, and hungry and would want our food. They wouldn't have the money to buy these weapons, the air would be cleaner, and unemployment would be lower.

I agree with you that it would be in the best interests of the United States to find an alternative energy source.

However, the Law of Supply and Demand or "You Got It, I Want It" says that whatever energy source is the least expensive will trump.
Oil is less expensive than solar cells.

The Law of Politics says that unpopular tariffs that hit the guy in the pocketbook are losers for the Party that supports them, because the Loyal Opposition Will make a Federal Case out of it and it will be repealed.

This board is a small sampling of the Vitriol that would come a politician's way if he or she dared suggest to tariff oil as part of our War Against Islamic Fascism.
Haliburton! Haliburtonnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!! EEEEeeeeaaaaaaahhhhh!!!

Find a cheap source of energy.
Bio? Magnetic? Manure? Thermal?
"The world is so full of a number of things,
I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings"
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 10:14 pm
VMinuteman wrote:

Solar panels would not work in New England or generally above the Mason Dixon line.

The two possibilities I mentioned are real and the one other thing which would help a whole lot would be neighborhood (walk to) work centers for the 90% of the workforce in large metro areas which does not need to be in a particular place more than one day a week or thereabouts. We have the technology to start using electrons instead of all the oil and rubber.
0 Replies

VMinuteman

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 11:00 pm
Re:Solar panels would not work in New England

True, and if the oil price was low enough New Englanders would be burning oil to melt the snow off their lawns! Raise the price and you promote solutions. New England has plenty of wood fuel and they turned to it in the last energy crisis. They generally have more congested poplulations which support mass transit better.

No one solution will be the total solution but each contributes to the solution. The current system will not sustain itself. Eventually millions and millions of people in the developing world will begin competing for that same oil. Pay now or pay later.
0 Replies

swolf

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 11:06 pm
VMinuteman wrote:
Re:Solar panels would not work in New England

True, and if the oil price was low enough New Englanders would be burning oil to melt the snow off their lawns! Raise the price and you promote solutions. New England has plenty of wood fuel and they turned to it in the last energy crisis. They generally have more congested poplulations which support mass transit better.

No one solution will be the total solution but each contributes to the solution. The current system will not sustain itself. Eventually millions and millions of people in the developing world will begin competing for that same oil. Pay now or pay later.

Basic bottom line, assuming no other solution was to hand which is not a realistic assumption, we still have a couple hundred years worth of shale oil here and about a thousand in Canada at present rates of use. The price I've always heard for developing shale oil was around $60/barrel which isn't that much more than we're paying OPEC now. If our govt were serious, it could put the country on a war footing, shut off oil imports immediately, uncap all capped wells and use that for the year and a half it would take to bring the shale oil online.

After about two or three years, the shale oil would fall to $35/barrel, and OPEC and Al Quaeda would starve.
0 Replies