Will Republicans take the Senate in the election?

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 01:33 pm
@georgeob1,
Nate Silver at 12:31 AM

Quote:
The pre-election polling averages (not the FiveThirtyEight forecasts, which also account for other factors) in the 10 most competitive Senate races had a 6-percentage point Democratic bias as compared to the votes counted in each state so far.

We aren’t counting Alaska, where polls haven’t closed yet. We also aren’t counting Virginia, which is much closer than expected. But Mark Warner’s close call makes more sense now given the margins we’re seeing in other states.

The bias might narrow slightly as more votes are counted; late-counted votes tend to be Democratic in most states. Still, this is a big “skew,” and it comes on the heels of what had been a fairly substantial bias in the opposite direction in 2012. The polls — excepting Ann Selzer’s — are having some problems.

0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 01:35 pm
@parados,
I was surprised as well. However, my estimates of the likely results are more positive than yours.

The tax cuts haven't hurt Wisconsin - they're doing better economically than neighboring Illinois, and unlike their neighbor are no longer facing public bankrupcy at the hands of public sector unions and their paid legislative toadies.

Now that Pat Quinn has lost his post as governor, there may even be some hope for Illinois. However, the corrupt cesspool that is Chicago politics will likely prevent any long term recovery for that state. The only thing that trickles down from that Democrat and union controlled government is increased public debt.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 01:40 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
the corrupt cesspool that is Chicago politics.....

moved to the WH 6 years ago.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 01:56 pm
@georgeob1,
Perhaps you should be updated on the Union thing in Wisconsin.

here

Quote:
A Wisconsin judge on Friday struck down nearly all of the state law championed by Gov. Scott Walker that effectively ended collective bargaining rights for most public workers.
Baldimo

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 02:09 pm
@revelette2,
How old an article are you going to use? You are referencing a 2 year old decision that was overturned.

Here is a current article from Sept of 2014.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/19/one-third-wisconsin-teachers-have-dropped-union-since-gov-walker-ended/
georgeob1

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 02:15 pm
@revelette2,
In the Navy the shorthand carrier LSOs (Landing Signal Officers) used in recording their comments on the landing approiached of aircraft on the ships spawned an number of popular acronyms. One was FUBAR (fucked up beyond recovery) , and another was WEFT (wrong every ******* time).

You are WEFT
revelette2

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 02:20 pm
@Baldimo,
I am not saying you are wrong, truth is I don't know, however, I read your foxnews source, and it didn't say anything about that decision being overturned. I tried to find it a source in which a court decision overturned the 2012 decision, and I have been unsuccessful.
revelette2

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 02:21 pm
@georgeob1,
Well, that's nice of you. Rolling Eyes Besides, you have said that before.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 02:28 pm
@revelette2,
Let's put iut this way. The law you cited in Wisconsin is still in effect and the public sector unions there, now that they no longer have a monopoly, are facing declining membership, based on the individual choices of their members. Moreover the state's current budget and long term debt situations are much improved, while economic activity and employment are growing. All of this is in stark contrast to the situation in neighboring Illinois, where the state legislature is both corrupt and largely controlled by public sector unions, and the state's debt level is fast approaching catastrophic levels.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 02:30 pm
In any case, I found a reliable source which actually refers to the decision which overturned the 2012 decision. So I was wrong, I admit it.

U.S. appeals court upholds controversial Wisconsin union law

Quote:
The law also forced most state workers to pay more for health insurance and pensions, and curbed pay raises

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 02:39 pm
The GOP blocked Obama's jobs initiative; to create jobs.
Quote:
GOP senators block top Obama jobs initiative
By Ted Barrett, CNN
updated 8:29 PM EDT, Thu July 19, 2012

McConnell's victory speech last night said he "heard the coal miner and the woman who lost her health insurance." He also said, "big government has lasted too long." That's real funny! The GOP's history is bigger government deficits.

What they don't tell you is that the two wars that GW Bush started and extended into Obama's presidency were never paid for - after GW Bush's tax cuts for the rich. The increased deficit under Obama also included the cost of saving our Great Recession economy that GW Bush created and Obama saved.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 02:49 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The problem Cicerone is that, apart from creating demand for goods and services by buying them, the government doesn't create jobs. On the contrary the massive intrisiveness of Federal regulations in nearly every aspect of business under the current administration has been an enormous and continuing hindrance to investment and risk-taking by businesses across the country and is fairly clearly the reason why this recovery has been so much slower and more tepid than any other for the past two generations.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 02:52 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
On the contrary the massive intrisiveness of Federal regulations in nearly every aspect of business under the current administration has been an enormous and continuing hindrance to investment and risk-taking by businesses across the country and is fairly clearly the reason why this recovery has been so much slower and more tepid than any other for the past two generations.

Well, either that or those with the capital feel like most of the rest of us do, that the economy is disfunctional and those who run it have no clue how to fix it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 02:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
That's the reason some states and local governments took it upon themselves to increase the minimum wage. They know how to create jobs and success for the majority.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 03:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

That's the reason some states and local governments took it upon themselves to increase the minimum wage. They know how to create jobs and success for the majority.
On the other hand the plan in the spring was for the D's to ride on the back of calls for a higher min wage to election success. It did not work out that way. From the looks of it Hillary has already planned to use the women are victims and need to governments help message to get the POTUS chair, but those who tried to use that argument this time did not get far with it. This election was a washout for D's using their standard message " the people are victims and we are going to bring the government to the rescue". Lack of faith in government is the reason, and I dont see where the D's have an answer for this problem.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 03:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
What makes you assume that raising the minimum wage will increase jobs????? Please explain.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 03:52 pm
@georgeob1,
When the minimum wage is increased, it puts more money into consumers pockets to spend. When they spend, that creates higher demand for the goods and services.

Put simply, a dollar spent in the market place gets respent by the very people who earn income, and that gets multiplied by factors.

Econ 101.

Quote:
Originally published March 12, 2014 at 9:52 PM | Page modified March 13, 2014 at 7:47 PM
Studies look at what happened when cities raised minimum wage

Raising the minimum wage doesn’t have a drastic, negative impact on employment, according to university researchers who have studied pay hikes in other cities.

By Lynn Thompson
Seattle Times staff reporter

Ten years ago, San Francisco raised its minimum wage from $6.75 to $8.50 an hour, a 26 percent increase. Since then, it has gone up at regular intervals to its current $10.74 an hour, the highest big-city starting wage in the country.

The city has slapped other mandates on businesses, including paid sick leave and a requirement to provide health-care coverage or pay into a pool for uninsured residents.

What have the effects been on employment?

Almost none, according to economists at the University of California, Berkeley, who have studied San Francisco, eight other cities that raised their minimum wages in the past decade, and 21 states with higher base pay than the federal minimum.

Businesses absorbed the costs through lower turnover, small price increases at restaurants, which have a high concentration of low-wage workers, and higher worker productivity, the researchers found.

The average increase among cities raising the minimum wage was 40 percent. The average step increase for a phased-in pay hike was 17 percent.

“Our data show that an increase up to $13 an hour has no measurable effect on employment,” said Michael Reich, a Berkeley economics professor with the Institute for Research on Labor and Employment.

I'm also happy to report that our city, Sunnyvale, CA, approved raising the minimum wage to $10.30/hour. San Francisco has a graduated increase to $15/hour, and they're the highest minimum wage in the country.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 04:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

When the minimum wage is increased, it puts more money into consumers pockets to spend. When they spend, that creates higher demand for the goods and services.

Put simply, a dollar spent in the market place gets respent by the very people who earn income, and that gets multiplied by factors.

Econ 101.

Well then we should raise the minimum wage to $240/hour. Then with everyone making $500K/year or more,the economy should grow like gangbusters.

You are making the implicit assumption that there is an infinite supply of employers out there willing and able to pay the higher mandated wage. Unfortunately that is not the case. Your logic is absurd.

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 04:07 pm
@georgeob1,
You are now being ridiculous! I always thought you more intelligent than that!

georgeob1

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2014 04:11 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You are now being ridiculous! I always thought you more intelligent than that!

Is that what you call a reasoned response?????
0 Replies